Utah Utes football: Washington Huskies bite Utes, destroy hopes of winning season

Comments

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Nov. 11, 2012 12:23 a.m.

How's that pac-12 thing going for U? Interesting note about this season. Can win 5 of 6 at home but go winless on the road. Looks like Colorado is gonna be 2-0 after 2 disappointing seasons.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 11, 2012 12:25 a.m.

Tough loss, U Dub played great tonight. We played fair. I tip my hat to the Huskies. They out played us and out coached us.

• UtahAlumnus St. George, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 12:27 a.m.

Anybody else think that our Passing Game Coordinator is not earning his salary? I'm talking to you A-Rod.

• hoghead sandy, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 12:44 a.m.

And that my friends is how you become the doormat of a conference in just under a year.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 11, 2012 12:45 a.m.

Sad. The utes just can't compete in this conference.

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 12:53 a.m.

Well, at least Washington can say they scored more than 21 points....for the first time this season. Yes, that defense is scaring everyone. Welcome to the start of fighting it out for last place.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 12:57 a.m.

Chris B said:

I've said all season as soon as the Utes turned the corner we'd be unstoppable. Washington had a tough time with Cal, which says volumes. we're well on our way to 8-5, which is very respectable(when you're a member of a prestigious conference like we are).

Utah 34
    Washington 21

8-5
    Mark it down.

------------

Swoop said:

It's laughable that U consider beating up a couple of 2- and 3-win teams at home as "turning the corner".

5-7 and no bowl is more likely than 8-5 for the Utes

Washington 31
    Utah 17

Mark it down.

------------

Final

Washington 34
    Utah 15

hmmm

• BYUfaninWashSt Everett, WA
    Nov. 11, 2012 1:11 a.m.

Utes should have remained in the MWC to be competitive long term.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 1:55 a.m.

After what AZ did to Colorado today (56-31), I would dare say the Utes are done next week.

And the end of the season game with the Buffs will be for the coveted 'golden chip' award.

Who would have thought? I can't wait.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Nov. 11, 2012 4:12 a.m.

Very disappointing loss. Whit and his team have some work to do. He made some pretty bold moves promoting from within with mixed results. Utes need to end on a high note. One lost season is one too many.

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    Nov. 11, 2012 5:10 a.m.

It seems as if the Utah offense has fallen back to where they were when they lost at Arizona State. I don't think it's possible no matter who or if no one plays QB, to lose at Colorado, but Arizona is a different matter. The Wildcats don't have a great defense but they can outscore most anyone in the PAC but for Oregon. I don't know if it's a case of being worn down but decent PAC teams but it seems as if the Utes peak early then fall to pieces, being quite passive at season's end. What does it take to find a dependable QB?

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Nov. 11, 2012 6:02 a.m.

I'm a diehard Cougar fan, but I was confident the Utes will win out and go bowling the end of the year, as do the Aggies and my Cougars. Well, sorry it's likely not going to happen. Truth be told, I do like the Utes and love Coach W, even if my heart belongs to BYU.

And I'm not being sarcastic here when I say that I really do hope the probability of the Utes not going bowling this year, will not be too demoralizing on the Cris B's and the likes of him among the Ute's fan base.

Go Cougars! Go Aggies! And good luck to the Utes next year!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Nov. 11, 2012 7:05 a.m.

Chris B -

When you predicted a "W" for your boys, I knew a loss was inevitable. I have a few tickets to the Rose Bowl I will sell you.

• Really??? Kearns, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 8:08 a.m.

Tough break. Here's hoping the sports marketing team returns to promoting the Utes next year instead of the Pac 12 conference.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Nov. 11, 2012 8:38 a.m.

Utes will beat Colorado. Arizona is going to be a tough one, depending on what Arizona team decides to show up.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 8:41 a.m.

Going for it on 4th down on their own 43 when the game was still a one score game was frankly amateur hour but the utah coaching staff. Incredibly stupid and probably cost them the game more than any other single decision.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 11, 2012 8:44 a.m.

Wow. Dirk should go to work for Rasmussen polling...even Karl Rove would be able to figure out that, if the Utes win their next two and then win in whichever bowl they are invited to---the left side of the ledger would be greater than the right side (7-6). Although, after that second half meltdown, their path to 6 victories would seem about as easy to do as carrying Ohio, Virginia and Florida.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 8:46 a.m.

Star played fantastic, the rest of the D Line was ok, but the LBs were nonexistent, may as well have had 7 DBs on the field. You can definitely tell Wilcox has helped UW's defense find a mean streak (in many games borderline dirty, but last night looked pretty clean) this year compared to last. The biggest thing, though, was execution. Price played his best game of the year, while Travis was just a little late on a lot of reads and receivers dropped balls at crucial times. Can't win with that.

The commentators intimated at the end of a game that Utah "beat themselves," but that is a cop out, shows no respect, and makes someone look silly to use as an excuse, as we've seen on these boards since September. Credit to UW, they made some great plays, and since Utah didn't elevate their game to it, UW beat us up. It'll take a lot better effort and execution to hit Arizona in the mouth next week.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 11, 2012 8:52 a.m.

Well, he did say "consecutive winning regular seasons". Although that's a term I've never heard used and the headline is flat out wrong. "Consecutive winning regular seasons," is about like saying "consecutive popular vote victories."

• roberto Moses Lake, WA
    Nov. 11, 2012 8:55 a.m.

AAAAhhhhhh Thats to Bad. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of "guys"

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 9:10 a.m.

Jake, the Pac-12 is great, exciting matchups every week and get to see firsthand NFL-caliber players even on the weak opponents every week. I recommend trying to play in a major conference sometime, it definitely appears the Cougars aren't afraid of losing several games, either.

• Elk Hair Caddis Sandy, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 9:22 a.m.

Colorado 1-8 Utah 4-6
    Can't wait for the "Rumble in the Rockies"...Not

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 11, 2012 9:33 a.m.

I don't know why ute fans cheered going to the pac. I knew this was going to happen. Colorado isn't even a sure win.

No bowling for awhile, or ever.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Nov. 11, 2012 9:52 a.m.

I told you guys several years ago, beware of the Pac 12. You will have their scores of blue chip athletes thrown at you on a "weekly basis". But you Utes fans couldn't understand that.
    Shall we sing, A Whole New World"? LOL

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 10:00 a.m.

Since this seems to be the place to talk to the Cougar Fans, I have a few questions for you.

If BYU would have been invited to the PAC-12 with Utah instead of Colorado, would BYU have accepted, or would they not like the thought of having to have a few mediocre or lean years and declined the invitation? Personally, I think BYU would have been a better program choice for the PAC-12, but they were going after the market of Colorado.

Would BYU seriously consider trying to actively seek a Big 12 invitation? I know Cougar fans are excited for Texas to come to Provo next year. If they were in the conference, they would be getting Texas, Oklahoma, West Virginia on a regular basis and be instantly on the national stage--the prime-time version, not 8:15 at night.

Failing that, now that the MWC has a better TV deal, why didn't you stick around as the MWC "kingmaker" and develop an up and coming rivalry with USU? BYU lost to one MWC team and only beat a future MWC team by three. They aren't above the MWC by any means.

Food for thought.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 10:35 a.m.

Duckhunter said "Going for it on 4th down on their own 43 when the game was still a one score game was frankly amateur hour..."
    I don't know why Ute fans complain about your posts Duckhunter. Several are spot on, like this one. I thought that play set the tone for the game. The Utes "tried to hard", when they didn't need to.

• Scots Ogden, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 10:53 a.m.

USC, Oregon State, Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona State, Arizona, and Washington have all been in the top 25 this year. 5 of the 6 teams Utah has lost to r top 25 teams! 28-38 to USC, 14-21 at UCLA, 7-21 at Oregon State, 15-34 at Washington, 20-27 OT at Utah State and they did this with a 3rd string QB if Utah still had Wynn they would be 7-3 or 8-2.

• Utejazz West Valley City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 11:31 a.m.

Utah definitely has the talent to compete in the Pac 12. I just think that the Utes lost that chip on their shoulder that they had in the Mountain West. I feel that they feel like "Oh we're in the Pac 12 now, we're good" and in the Mountain West we were always underdogs and we wanted to prove ourself. we probably would play these Pac 12 teams better in the Mountain West then we do in the Pac 12.. We lost that fire we had. That's how I feel.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 11:44 a.m.

@worf
    "I don't know why ute fans cheered going to the pac. I knew this was going to happen."
    ___________

Do you still not know how ridiculous that statement is? BYU would've snapped up a PAC-12 invite and fans like you would've been ecstatic. And guess what? That's right, BYU would be going through the same struggles, maybe worse. Does that mean any of you cougar fans would second guess accepting that invite? Maybe the answer is yes. Perhaps you really would rather be the best of the rest and relish laying the hurt to Idaho every year. That said, I've yet to meet one Ute fan who would choose that path.
    Reality check... Utah is just about to wrap up their third PAC-12 recruiting class. Meaning we'll know a lot more as to where Utah fits in next year and even more so the year following. It'll never be easy, just look at Utah's SOS for evidence (11th toughest to date).
    Tell you what, it's great anticipating great opponents week in and week out.
    It's great being a Ute fan.

• CougarBlue Heber City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 11:57 a.m.

Dear Chris B, that corner you talk about turning is about 100 miles long for the Utes. I doubt they will reach 8 wins this season. I was hoping they would do a lot better, but alas they are at the bottom of the PAC10+2. You said last year they would beat Colorado and they didn't. I hope they win their last games, but I am certainly not holding my breath.

The PAC 10 was a great conference in past years, but not for the past 4-5 years. You cannot say when you have 2-3 teams that do well that the PAC10+2 is a prestigious conference. It is a middle of the road conference the last several years. Prestigious and Middle of the Road are antonyms.

Chris you barely beat BYU and beat mighty Northern Colorado and have lost to two of the bottom dwellers in the conference. Humble pie is what I see.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2012 12:20 p.m.

Huskies didn't destroy our hopes of a winning season, it's the inept coaching decisions.

The biggest problem was when KW hired a rookie OC and a rookie CB coach, supposedly the best candidates for the job.

Ironically those are the weakest parts of our team that have been exposed by every D1 team not named BYU, Washington State, Cal. Worse yet BJ's offense in 4 PAC-12 games has scored: 7, 7, 7, and 15 points. That won't even win in the MWC let alone in the PAC-12.

This season we took a MAJOR step backwards. As of now Utah hasn't shown they can beat anyone besides weak teams and I don't see it getting better with road games at USC, Oregon, and Stanford.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2012 12:58 p.m.

The headline is incorrect. A winning record is still possible. If Utah beats Arizona and Colorado, they will be 6-6. Then a bowl game win would mean a 7-6 record (winning record).

• dave22 SOUTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 1:11 p.m.

Kyle Whittingham had the "guts" to hire Brian Johnson.... now he has to have the guts to fire or more likley demote him or soon Whittingham should be fired..

Also, u could see the muffed punt coming a mile away from the ealier in the game... Why a coach did not pull him aside much earler is very poor..

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 1:11 p.m.

Cougar Blue, I'll admit Chris B's frequent posts are outlandish, but are entertaining. However, news must not travel to Heber City very well, because the Pac-12 is proving to be very, very tough. Currently, we have the #1, #13, #14, #17 and #21 teams in the country, with Washington, Arizona and Arizona State also all having showings in the top 25 this year. So tell me what two "bottom dwellers" Utah has lost to.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2012 1:50 p.m.

Scots

Spin all you want to, but the truth is, the Utes have only beaten one decent team this season, and that was the result of a lucky mis-snap fumble scoop and score.

Uteology

It's not just Utah's mediocre offense, Utah's supposedly vaunted defense has also struggled, giving up 20 or more points in all but two games this season.

By contrast, BYU's defense has only give up 20 points or more in two games.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 1:51 p.m.

"The guys didn't play their best, but we're improving every week."

• Darth Vader Ogden, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 3:57 p.m.

Looking forward to the next game. Focus and take care of Arizona.

Keep up the good fight and finish strong!

Go Utes!

• byujazzfanaz Sierra Vista, Arizona
    Nov. 11, 2012 4:51 p.m.

Can't wait for Utah to play Oregon.........

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 4:55 p.m.

@SoonerUte

I understand their issues with me. One is they do not like to read anything but positive comments about their team, I understand that. Second is that they really don't like to hear criticism, even it is truthful, from a non fan, expecially a BYU fan like myself.

To be fair I stir the pot quite often and am pretty good at it. The key is that there has to be truth in the comment, something that Utah fans know to be true but hate to hear from a BYU fan.

But it has made it so that any comment I post is immediately answered by outraged Utah fans even when there is no reason to be outraged by my comment. But it is what it is, I do try to poke and prod them so I cannot be surprised or upset with their reactions to me.

That said I was just making an observation with my comment above. I do think that was a terrible call by the Utah coaches and it was the call that did the Ute's in.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 5:01 p.m.

Darth Vader

"Congratulations to the Utes for playing the toughest schedule in school history."

When will the Utes be getting their trophy?

Reality is finally settling in on the Utes. Utah's best, and probably only chance of playing in the PAC 12 championship game for a long long time went by the wayside when the Utes blew a gift-wrapped PAC 12 south when they couldn't even beat lowly Colorado at home.

The Utes haven't even started played Oregon and Stanford yet, but it's obvious that the Utes are in way over their heads.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2012 6:59 p.m.

Uteanymous

--------------

With Utah up 24-7 in the 4th, just be happy we let you back in the game:

DRIVE TOTALS: BYU drive: 8 plays 75 yards, 02:14 BYU TD
    Utah 24 BYU 14

4th and 12 at UTAH 20 Sellwood rush for a loss of 6 yards to the Utah 14.
    DRIVE TOTALS: BYU drive: 4 plays 14 yards, 01:26 BYU TD
    Utah 24-BYU 21

Utah can beat BYU with 5 minutes of good football (2009), injured QB (2010), and a D2 QB (2011). Beating BYU is not the problem, its beating PAC-12 teams.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 11, 2012 7:26 p.m.

motorbike,

I've never wanted the PAC.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 7:36 p.m.

duckhunter

have you ever coached at the d1 level if not take a break al you y fans can't wait for Utah to get beat. It makes you all feel better thn your win over Idaho. You guys are pathetic, we get beat by Washington ad you all hop on the band wagon. You aftr use other teams to compete, pathetic again.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 8:32 p.m.

Utes need a couple of wins.

Too bad BYU isn't on the schedule the next two weeks.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 8:44 p.m.

@mlh

Like I said, utah "fans" like yourself cannot handle the truth. It is funny.

LOL!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 11, 2012 8:57 p.m.

54-10

Utes need a couple of wins.

Good thing BYU isn't on the schedule the next two weeks.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Nov. 11, 2012 9:04 p.m.

"We are the mighty MUSS, one day UTA will let us drive a bus,
    our offense is less than credible, all we want for Christmas it to be BOWL ELIGIBLE!"

• JustTheTruthMan bountiful, ut
    Nov. 11, 2012 9:19 p.m.

If? . . . If? . . . You actually think Utah can beat either? Like I said in the first post on this thread... They have only won at home so it almost rest assuredly ensures that Colorado will be another loss. 4-8 is looking really possible! and 6-6 is not a winning record and in this years pac will not enable a bowl game... So sorry! Face up to reality before it crushes you into the depths of depression.

• Chris B's momma Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 11, 2012 9:35 p.m.

Looks like Utah will play in the toilet bowl against their rival, Colorado. Man, Scott must be kicking himself for inviting these two clown acts into the conference. I see grumblings all over PAC 10 country. And if you think this has been bad wait until basketball starts$!&@?!

• MUSSing with U Baltimore, MD
    Nov. 11, 2012 9:36 p.m.

MLH

As suspected at the beginning of the season, the ONLY way the Utes would even have a chance of being bowl eligible this season, is by bookending their schedule with a couple of Colorado patsies.

When it comes to actually being "competitive" in the PAC, the Utes are even more pathetic than they were in the WAC.

• ET Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 11, 2012 9:46 p.m.

The PAC is doing well. The way to get ranked teams is to add some cupcakes like Utah and Colorado so you get a break in the schedule and record padders. Utah is fitting in just fine. Remember to shake that doormat every so often. Do I hear an echo from down there?

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 10:09 p.m.

How time changes goals. Yesterday the utes were trying for the top spot in the PAC 12 and now they are trying to avoid the bottom spot.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 7:08 a.m.

I read everyone of these comments. Love it. When the PAC-10 knocked on Utah's door I predicted insanity from some BYU fans. But, I never predicted so much jealousy even on weeks when Utah loses and BYU wins.

The Arizona game will be another sell-out. PAC-12 football is fine. BYU insanity priceless.

• Cowboy Dude SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 7:12 a.m.

Another week Utah cried all the way to the bank. I love PAC-12 football. It was fun watching 6 teams play at once on three stations...ESPN #35, ESPN2 #36, & PAC12TV #37.

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Nov. 12, 2012 8:57 a.m.

awe...what happened? hahahaha, like I've said before and will continue to say....you guys and colorado will be the new AU and ASU of the pac 10.2. Actually, more like the old WSU.

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 8:59 a.m.

I'll be the first to admit this season has been a big disappointment for Ute fans. With that said all of you out there saying you predicted a bad season from the get go I say better lucky than good with your predictions. Phil Steele the nations #1 prognosticator for college football (if you don't believe me look up his record), picked Utah to finish #2 in the Pac-12 South this season.

Second to all Utah fans mad about the title of this article, I'm pretty sure it says a non-winning regular season, 6-6 isn't a winning regular season.

Duckhunter
    I agree your evaluations are mostly spot on concerning the Utes. In my opinion the reason people (mostly Ute fans) have a hard time with them is you tend to look at BYU through rose colored glasses instead of the same level of cold hard truth.

Lastly good luck to all three FBS teams. I hope Utah ends up bowl eligible and all win their respective bowl games.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Nov. 12, 2012 9:10 a.m.

RE: MLH

"...al you y fans can't wait for Utah to get beat. It makes you all feel better thn your win over Idaho. You guys are pathetic, we get beat by Washington ad you all hop on the band wagon. You aftr use other teams to compete, pathetic again."

Let's be clear, the "y fans" you are referencing here are not BYU fans at all, they are trolls. I rarely read Ute articles and their comments but did this time simply because of a comment made on a BYU article insinuated that 90% of the posts on Utah articles were by BYU trolls. I couldn't believe that so I came over to read your articles and sadly that comment was part true. Most of the posts in this discussion thread were made by BYU trolls... but we all know that doesn't make them "y fans." Indeed, I don't recognize the monikers for most the trolls posting on this article, which means they don't post on BYU articles. So again, let's not pretend that BYU fans are dominating these boards because they're not.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Nov. 12, 2012 9:15 a.m.

...that being said. I should note a few things that most BYU fans do believe. Utah joining the PAC12 was a great move for Utah. I'm skeptical about how well y'all will compete year in and year out, but it makes sense on all levels--more money, better exposure, and the opportunity to play great teams. The downside: a huge recruiting disadvantage making it very difficult to compete for the PAC title. Let's be honest, Utah (because of it's geography) will never be a dream destination for most top recruits.

BYU and Utah have a ton in common this year: OCs that have struggled with play calling and decision making, QBs that aren't performing up to potential (perhaps due to OCs), both win games against horrible teams and lose to good teams. If Utah wasn't in the PAC12 their record would be similar to BYU's and they'd be looking at going to a lower tier bowl. If BYU was in the PAC12 (most real BYU fans would love to be in the PAC12 or Big12 but not in the Big East) they would likely have a record similar to Utah's.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Nov. 12, 2012 10:04 a.m.

Called it.

• #utesnation Centerville, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 10:32 a.m.

I will forever be a ute and have done my best to be positive throughout the year. But after this performance I realized the utes just aren't good this year. I'll be surprised if we go bowling at all. even if we become bowl "Eligible" with six wins Im not going to hold my breath waiting to get invited to a bowl. Our offense is bad, our defense is bad and for the love when there are 4 defenders within 3 yards of you when you're a punt returner you signal for a fair catch.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 11:55 a.m.

Wiscougarfan

It just seems to happen every week so called "trolls" jumping on and pilling on. I think the Ute fans know that we are not very good this year. And for any Ute fan that thaught we were just going to roll into this PAC12 thing and take over has had their eyes opened. The football is so much better and I think that the average "troll" that gets on here has no-idea how different the game is compared to the MWC and WAC. This is one of the conferences that are putting more than just a handfull of players into the NFL, these teams are big, fast, aggressive at football.

My biggest frustration is the BYU fan that hops on here and cannot see the true story of what Utah is going through. Duckhunter for example is a y fan that cannot wait to comment on the Utes. I don't know this for fact but I would bet he has more things to say on Utah articles than on ones about his own team. I have no respect for anyone that gets on here and piles on be it Ute or Cougar

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Nov. 12, 2012 3:22 p.m.

MLH

Need a little cheese with that whine?

Utah fans are just getting a little taste of their own medicine. The kids on the hill are merciless any time BYU has even the slightest stumble, yet they whine incessantly about even the slightest critique of Utah.

Bottom line: Utah fans can dish it, but they can't take it.

BYU fans understood exactly what Utah was getting into when Utah joined the PAC; afterall, BYU has been playing PAC teams regularly for the last 50 years.

Which is precisely why BYU fans laughed at Utah fans who were proclaiming that the Utes would be an instant success in their new conference, perennial challengers for conference titles, and regular Rose Bowl winners.

When BYU fans reminded the kids on the hill that Arizona and Arizona State had been members of the PAC for 30 years and they only had two Rose Bowl appearance combined, Utah fans scoffed that Utah was so much better, that the struggles of the Arizona schools were irrelevant to the Utes.

Two years later, Utah finds itself exactly where BYU fans predicted you would be and now you whine about BYU fans saying we told you so?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 3:27 p.m.

@mlh

I love that I am in your head and dominate you. That said I speak the truth about utah, you just don't like it. I have fun with it.

Of course I loive your double standard as you are easily one of the biggest utah trolls that posts consistently on articles about BYU. I LOVE utah "fan" hypocrisy. LOL!

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Nov. 12, 2012 4:16 p.m.

As I have said all season long, Chris Hill needs to take a long hard look at the coaches, from top to bottom on the U's football team. I understand that it is a new conference with tougher teams that what the U experienced in the MWC, but our game plans just seem ill-prepared for what they are up against every week. Our D was supposed to be tops in the PAC12 but that has proven to be suspect at best. Our depth at QB was supposed to be the best Whit has had in years; this has proven to be suspect when you have to throw a true-freshman into the mix (BTW he's handled it like a man). If the U doesn't make some changes this off-season I believe that they will lose a lot of credibility and miss out on some terrific recruits and bowl opportunities.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 4:20 p.m.

MLH

Bitter much?

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Nov. 12, 2012 5:24 p.m.

In October 2010, President Uchtdorf said:

"I have always loved participating in and attending sporting events. But I confess there are times when the lack of civility in sports is embarrassing. How is it that normally kind and compassionate human beings can be so intolerant and filled with hatred toward an opposing team and its fans?

I have watched sports fans vilify and demonize their rivals. They look for any flaw and magnify it. They justify their hatred with broad generalizations and apply them to everyone associated with the other team. When ill fortune afflicts their rival, they rejoice.

Brethren, unfortunately we see today too often the same kind of attitude and behavior spill over into the public discourse of politics, ethnicity, and religion."

Continued below

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Nov. 12, 2012 5:30 p.m.

Continued from above:

"My dear brethren of the priesthood, my beloved fellow disciples of the gentle Christ, should we not hold ourselves to a higher standard? As priesthood bearers, we must realize that all of God’s children wear the same jersey. Our team is the brotherhood of man. This mortal life is our playing field. Our goal is to learn to love God and to extend that same love toward our fellowman. We are here to live according to His law and establish the kingdom of God. We are here to build, uplift, treat fairly, and encourage all of Heavenly Father’s children."

I'm sure my posting this sounds preachy to some of you. But can any of you argue with the observations and counsel quoted above?

I remember President Uchtdorf's delivery of this message vividly. While I hadn't been particularly nasty in my comments up to that point (at least in my opinion), I took his words as a rebuke. I have worked to moderate what I write/say since then in these comments sections, and it has made me feel better. Might I suggest some of you give it a try?

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 5:47 p.m.

Coming from a BYU fan buried deep in this articles comments section, Utah will have a winning record because they will win their last 2 regular season games and their Bowl game.

As a side note, and a dig at both teams, Utah needs BYU more than BYU needs Utah because Utah always over performs against BYU and BYU always under performs against Utah. If both teams had played an average game for themselves against each other, BYU would have won. But as it turned out, Utah needed that win to even have a chance at a Bowl game and a winning record, and BYU handed it to them on a silver platter.

• BSU BRONCO!! Rigby, ID
    Nov. 12, 2012 6:04 p.m.

I remember when all you Ute fans was bragging how great of a team you are, and how Utah will be going to the Rose bowl every year. I really hope you are enjoying the big paycheck the school is getting from their new conferance. Thats about the only thing you have to celebrate. Dont worry after having 4 or 5 losing seasons you can always go back to the WAC! Enjoy the Holidays it will be a nice long break for the football team.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 9:48 p.m.

MLH

This is by far THE best whining statement of all time...

"My biggest frustration is the BYU fan that hops on here and cannot see the true story of what Utah is going through."

Pray tell... What is there not to understand about the Ute 'true story'?

The lack of legacy part, no current talent or what? What are we not 'seeing'??? I'm dying to know.

There is no 'story' without a great struggle, heroic efforts, and a rewards.

A PAC12 invite with next to nothing performance? Hardly a story to write about.

BYU fans told you, I told you, we'll gloat a little more about your team's continued demise and then it will start all over again with basketball then spring camp will come.

Cuddle up to that win this year over the Cougars, it's all a Ute fan has while BYU goes bowling this year.

And BYU will outrank the Utes again. It won't be much but it's enough. LOL

That's the Ute 'true story'.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 7:53 a.m.

@wookie

Your comments about utah coaches, qb's, and the defense are all correct. Of course those are exactly the points myself and other BYU fans made before this season ever started. Now I understand utah "fans" not wanting to read those things, they were all full of optimism, I'd call it delusion, and thought it was all going to be greatness. You all ignored the truth, which is that utah's qb's are almost never any good, your offensive coordinator is 25, inexperienced, and wasn't a particularly good qb coach, your lb's have never been all that good and they were all replaced, the o-line took hits to graduation. In otherwords this season and this result were acurately predicted by BYU fans. We saw it because we are not deluded by crimson glasses.

Now you see it, now utah "fans" see it.

That said I think utah has some talent and could have been better than they are. Certianly not rose bowl contenders, that was always delusional, but they should have been able to have a winning record, they should have been able to be bowl eligible without having to come down to this.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 13, 2012 10:10 a.m.

MLH

You need to take this select group for who there are. Haters, who actually hate Utah, more than love BYU. Pretty sad, but very accurate. Nothing more class less than kicking a team (fan base) when they are down. Oh well, what comes around goes around.

Another thing, we will always have scoreboard on BYU; have for the last 3 years. They can't beat us, so they have to support teams that can. LOL!