Utah

Police investigating alleged fight between Jordan assistant football coach, parent after 5A semifinal game

Comments

• Coach P Provo, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 11:27 p.m.

Note to parents:

Even if you are totally convinced you're right, you should always abide by this rule which I know many coaches have. It is the no-24 hour contact rule.

No parent conversation with a coach should happen until 24 hours after the game. If it is a win, the coach wants to celebrate it with his players and staff and family. If it is a loss, well it should be obvious why it isn't a good idea to try to talk to a coach.

After 24 hours, perspective and cool heads come into play for both sides.

Also, I wonder if the player has talked with his position coach first, and the coach in question. I hated it as a coach when a parent approaches a coach but the player never bothered to approach the coach with his concerns first. There is a proper chain of command and it starts with the player.

I don't know the situation here but I would have to fault the parent more than the coach. This should have been handled on Monday in an office where again cooler heads could have prevailed. Now a cloud hangs over Jordan's successes.

• islandlove sandy, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 1:19 a.m.

As a Polyneisan parent I'm deeply embarrassed by Malae's behavior,not all Polyneisan parents behave in such a manner.Our family know coach Kafentzis he coached our son back in his Juan Diego days and let me tell you he's one amazing coach he knows his stuff and the kids he coaches and there ability,coach is a professional he would never start a fight with a parent of a player that's just not coach K our family has nothing but great admiration for coach K we follow Jordan football because he coaches there.I totally agree with coach P I too totally blame the parent ,look if you have a problem with coach go to your son's school make an appointment with coach and discuss your concern with him like normal people for goodness sake!!

• Coach Randy midvale, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 1:25 a.m.

I totally agree coach P. But what everyone needs to understand is that the coach involved has a long history of physical altercations with both parents and other coaches. Specifically about 2 years ago he had a fight with another Jordan assistant coachand at the beginning of the current football season he was also involved in a fight that errupted at a scrimmage against Granger High School. He also just recently was involved in an incident with the Jordan head basketball coach as well. I have to wonder when the high school athletic association and Jordan high school administration is going to stop turning a blind eye to the whole situation. The Jordan football program has had a dark cloud looming over it for quite some time now and by continuing to allow this man to coach in their program only makes their future seem a lot more dismal.

• Sampson Orem, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 6:30 a.m.

Excellent comment by Coach P

Emotions are always high right after a game...especially after a loss. Confronting anyone when you are upset emotionally is a poor decision. The game was over. Nothing could change the playing time. Let it go until Monday.

Advice for coaches? Surround yourself with plenty of people who will serve as a natural buffer (and possible witnesses).

• BEETS Tooele, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 7:00 a.m.

Well said coach P. Good luck Jordan. Go Diggers.

• md Cache, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 7:41 a.m.

@Coach P

Note to coaches:
    I think it would be amazing if coaches could abide by the one principle that would make us respect them more. Let the best players play. High school sports have so many political issues and biases from the coaches that the best players rarely are the ones who are playing. I was told to be a booster and bring in more money if I wanted my son to play HS basketball. I refused to be part of that. It only seems to be getting worse with time.

The coaches son always seems to find his way on the team, despite the fact there are more intelligent, better athletes who are getting cut. Tryouts should be done by unbiased evaluators. Coaches always seem to have a chip on their shoulder towards parents and players. I can see why there was a fight and am surprised that there aren't more of them.

I have met a few good coaches over the years, but have been largely unimpressed by the way they handle themselves.

Remember coaches, you are teachers. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Coach P Provo, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 10:13 a.m.

md:

So what happened here? Did it make the parent look good? Evidently, people are worried that he embarrassed his family and community.

Are coaches perfect? NO! I don't know this coach's particular history like one of the posters above but if there is any truth to it, probably even a better reason why confronting the coach right after the game is a bad idea. I would guess md that his own son is mortified by his father's actions. So again tell me where my rule above was NOT a good idea?

Further, since Jordan has lost all but one game and in the championship game and winning games by large measure, their coaches must be playing the right players. Maybe not on every single unit but heck, I don't know if you could say a NFL coach could evaluate talent that well. But I suppose they are playing the best talent in their own eyes rather than just players who parents contributed money to the program, or else they would probably be 5-6 and well done before this opportunity.

Coaches are flawed yes but given the job to direct a program, they should evaluate these issues.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 10:25 a.m.

There has definitely been a dark cloud hanging over this Jordan program, and while the coach involved may not have been at fault in this incident, he has a long history of problems. Jordan's administration has been turning a blind eye to the behavior of this coach for several years and when something blows up they've left themselves wide open to legal action. Alta banned him from their program, as did Juan Diego, it's becoming obvious Jordan should've done the same thing long ago.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 10:37 a.m.

Is this coach the QB's dad? I'm just wondering.

• CC Saint George, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 11:21 a.m.

@md

I'm sure your perspective is your reality, however I think it is a pretty cheap shot at the the majority of coaches who are trying to do the best job they know how to do. I find your comments insulting and degrading to people who put forth an incredible amount of time for very little financial compensation. These are the same people I see attending mission farewells, wedding receptions, funerals, etc. They give of their time because they genuinely care about kids.

• rvb CLEARFIELD, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 1:08 p.m.

No opinion on the incident after the Jordan/Lone Peak game. I'm sure the facts will come out. However....

@md

"High school sports have so many political issues and biases from the coaches that the best players rarely are the ones who are playing."

What are these "political issues"? Health care? Immigration? War in Afghanistan? There is a term for coaches with biases who rarely play the best players: that term is "ex-coach". When a coaches job depends on winning, he/she probably puts the players on the field/court that will help ensure that they keep the job they love. If they lose this source of income, they will most certainly be forced to sell their plasma to make up the deficit and pay the rent.

• Something to think about Ogden, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 1:50 p.m.

re; MD You sound like a bitter parent.

I am a coach and have no doubt I am the reason that many a kid "did not win the Heisman"...just ask their parents.

Parents need to learn to let the kids earn what they get in regards to playing time. There are alot of talent athletes on any team.

Blood is thicker than water! Parents all believe their kid should be the MVP... guess what... one parent is right! The rest are wrong. I'm amazed by events like this because parents are unwilling to accept the reality of their kids abilities.

Coaches get fired, that's right fired, when they fail to have success on the field. Thus, coaches play the best kids based upon their system and goals for the program. Parents who think otherwise are foolish. I play kids who are not my favorites, have too!

Parents need to focus on being parents. Let coaches focus on coaching. If you don't like a coaches decissions 'go after their job' not them. I've accepted that there are two kinds of coaches. "Those that have been fired, and those that are going to be!"

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 1:53 p.m.

@md

Really, sounds like you'd like to be one of the unbiased evaluators. That's an anrealistic thought. Coaches pick kids based upon their x's and o's, not who's kid they are. If kids can play they make the team, if they can't they don't. I've seen parents mad about their kid getting cut, when they didn't even make grades! The coach had no control.

• 1234512345 Draper, Utah
    Nov. 10, 2012 3:18 p.m.

Coacn Randy is right. This coach has a reputation that dates back to little league and has continued into high school.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 4:08 p.m.

Yes, the coach is the QB's father...

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 4:41 p.m.

Sports would be more fun for everyone -- if fewer parents were involved.

• amanap Washington, ut
    Nov. 10, 2012 5:32 p.m.

Amen Rational, parents have become terrible. Sad thing is it carries over into adult hood for the kid and they think they are entitled to something.

• Pack Layton, Utah
    Nov. 10, 2012 6:52 p.m.

The happiest coaches are the ones who coach at an orphanage.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 7:10 p.m.

Sad thing is....this is not the only incident involving this man.....

• playwhereyoulive SLC, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 7:38 p.m.

This story has a whole other side to it that is not being looked into. Stay tuned....

• Pack Layton, Utah
    Nov. 10, 2012 7:47 p.m.

I once heard that the happiest coaches, coach at an orphanage.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Nov. 11, 2012 12:28 a.m.

As a polynesian and parent of a student-athlete, I am totally ashamed of the actions of Mr. Malae. I dont know the facts, but one thing I do know, is that this behavior is unexceptable, no matter what the situation. Its these types of actions that give polys a bad rep. I was born and raised backed in the islands,so you cant tell me that I dont know the poly life. God,family and respect for others is what I was taught.I have had my days, when I wondered why isnt my son playing?, or why the coaches make the choices they do. its High School football,coaches for any team are expectedto win, or try their hardest to win. therefore they (coaches) play the players they think can help them achieve that goal. its not little league,you are not required your 8 plays,its up to the coaches to play who they think the best players are, as parents we might not always agree, but thats why we are parents and not coaches.

Coach K and Jordan HS good luck at state..!!

• mightyd Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 1:12 a.m.

@md
    Yep, all coaches based on if they only coaches kids, booster kids, kids with "the name", kids of rich parents, coaches relative....yada yada yada.........sour grapes......those coaches wont be coaching very long.

Shame on the Deseret news for letting THAT blog go thru....it's amazing what the D news lets go, and what they block....I bet this gets blocked!

• Seminole sandy, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 8:52 a.m.

Parent risk,

1) Coaches aren't compensated enough for the hours/months spent. When coach underperforms, we fire him with little introspect. . .

2) Hard time siding with a parent who bickers with coach who takes son to 5A State. . .

3) I love italian food in pretty much any fashion. . .

4) Some coaches ought to worry about winning games of their own, and stay off the band wagon. . .

5) Gold dot pride!. . .

6) Isn't there a bypass of process for a parent who ought to have made a formalized complaint - documenting and addressing the regular procedures. . . versus public insult for the coach.

7) Coaches in the South make $90,000 with full stadium. . .

8) Eric Kjar for President. He'd win.

9) Let's try and think a little more about the kids. . .

10) Way to go J Crew. Take State.

• Gravedigger72 DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 11:18 a.m.

Coach Randy, what is this "dark cloud hanging over Jordan for some time"? I'm not aware of this- Seems like a great, happy, tough group of kids from what I've observed at the games

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 9:29 a.m.

I bet coaches make at least $25,000 per season. well maybe the head coach. the assistants gotta make $10.000 to $15,000 per season. for all that money they can take a little bit of parents getting mad.

• Man O War Salt Lake CIty, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 11:02 a.m.

Jo Mamma that's awesome thought.

I have coached high school football for 9 years and at the most "elite" places. The only way a head coach makes even remotely close to that is if he was going to take money from the booster club, taking money from the camps and other means etc etc. Needless to say, no head coach makes 25k just coaching.

As for asst coaches, as i said i have coached for 9 years and won state championships, the most ever paid is about 2,500, for those counting that works out to about nothing after the hours and hours and hours.

Coaches in general get a bad rap sometimes, though I know in this particular case, this coach probably has little business being around 16-18 year olds especially when you believe the best way to relate or interact with them is to act like an 18 year old...

• Coach34 Washington, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 11:15 a.m.

@Jo Momma

Do you Coach? If you did, you would know that no coach in Utah makes that amount of money, not even close. They should however, but that will never happen. I do know for a fact that Head Football Coaches in Washington County (St. George schools) make depending on how long they have coached in the district roughly $3,000 for a season. Most assistants will make 1200 to 600 dollars a season. This includes all extra film, and training sessions, as well as summers this roughly comes out to about pennies per hour, that these men make for a season. There is absolutely no amount of parent crying that can be justifiable for this amount of money. The only time a parent is justified in saying anything would be if there child is being abused. Playing time, wins and losses etc. are not an excuse to attack a man who makes pennies on the hour and spends countless hours away from his children to help raise others. Parents have as much responsibilty in the success of their sons experience as a coach does, and negativity from home will ruin that experience. Players can't serve 2 masters.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 11:51 a.m.

i think they make more money somehow and i think that parents should have a say in who starts or not by some type of playoff or tryout practice. it is our money that pays coaches from taxes.

• SlimJ Lehi, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 12:33 p.m.

@Jo Momma,

No matter what you say the coaches do not make anywhere near what you think they make. Head coaches get a stipend of $3000 to $5000 depending on the district. If the assistant coach is a teacher they make a little more around $2500 if it is a paraprofessional volunteer they make around $500 for the whole season.

Do you really think that parents would come to a consensus on who would start and who would not? If they want to spend and extra 40 hours per week on top of their full time job going to practice, film sessions, meetings etc then they should have a say. Parents only see a small fraction on what goes on in a program. If the only source of information is from their player, remember kids in general tend to exaggerate what goes on (both for the worse, and better).

Please do some research first, this is Utah....not Texas.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 4:11 p.m.

Jo Mamma, you're right, they do make more money "somehow." Some wake up early to instruct driver's ed, some work manual labor over the summers, some teach, or perform other full-time jobs. Wake up, please.

• Coach Randy midvale, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 4:55 p.m.

@Gravedigger72

If you read the article above it was talking about an altercation between a parent and a coach. My comments were about the coach in question and not the boys on the team. I have coached a few of those boys in the past and wish them nothing but the best on Friday and in the future as well. I just wish the boys had better role models as coaches.So good luck to the boys on Friday!

• playwhereyoulive SLC, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 5:42 p.m.

Two weeks ago my friend and I attended a Jordan game at JHS. There was a defensive coach using abusive language on the sideline at the football game at JHS. My friend and I (who are not Jordan fans - just sports fans) sat in awe as we watched this coach verbally demean the young man on the sideline with the use of foul language. The father of the player being yelled at started yelling at the coach to stop from the stands, and a man in a Jordan coat (I assume an administrator) walked into the stands and calmed him down.

Having read the article I am wondering if this young man's father is the same man at the Rice Eccles game who was trying to defend his son from verbal abuse two weeks ago. I could not believe what I was seeing on the sideline, it was despicable!

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Nov. 12, 2012 7:51 p.m.

I get a kick out people saying coaches only play the best players. Some coaches have a weak eye when it comes to evaluating talent. I have seen at the high school level kids get cut by coaches and then bring on a rich member of the communities son who has no business on the team. And No my kid didnt play that sport. So Coaches please stop saying that all coaches only pick the best players. Simply not true.

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 14, 2012 3:34 p.m.

why doesn't this story shock me? And that is the saddest part.

• Seminole sandy, UT
    Nov. 17, 2012 5:56 p.m.

It doesn't shock you because you're too busy being sad. That's the other part.