Bowl projections: Cougs to Poinsettia, and will Utes end up playing bowl game at Yankee Stadium?

Comments

• mvcougar ,
    Oct. 28, 2012 8:24 p.m.

Utah will not beat Arizona or Washington. No bowl this year!

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 28, 2012 10:34 p.m.

whoa... lets not get ahead of ourselves. Two more wins before any bowl talk please.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 28, 2012 11:07 p.m.

Pinstripe Bowl... awesome opportunity!

By the way that was a good win last night but I'm afraid Washington and Arizona are going to be the show stoppers this year.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 28, 2012 11:11 p.m.

mvcougar,

Since you can see the future, tell me, will the cougars ever again be in consideration for a major bowl after September? Inquiring minds doubt it, but still want to know.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 28, 2012 11:22 p.m.

Way too early to start talking about bowls, but it would be amazing to see the Utes play in Yankee stadium.

Here's to hoping!

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 6:17 a.m.

Yes, because the Utes can not finish the season against jv squads, and must continue to play actual D1 level competition, getting bowl eligible will be quite an accomplishment for them at this point of the season.

On the other hand, winning the wac championship for the second year in a row, then playing a team from the mwc in a bowl, leads many to believe this is a formula for relevence in the national landscape of college football. YAY, team!

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 6:47 a.m.

I think you should have mentioned Utah State in the bowl mix. The WAC has only one bowl tie with the Potato Bowl in Boise. But Utah State and Lou Tech are headed to a showdown game for the WAC Championship and the bowl game. The the losing team will still have a glossy record and most likely take one of those Big East bowl slots. So you may see Utah State in Yankee Stadium.

Not sure why you overlooked the Aggies. After all that potential 7th loss (if they have 6 in the conference) that could keep Utah out of a bowl game was administered by the Aggies.

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    Oct. 29, 2012 6:50 a.m.

I would consider going to the pinstripe bowl if the Utes were playing in it.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Oct. 29, 2012 7:18 a.m.

I'm a huge Cougar fan but I don't buy into the notion that Utah will not go bowling this year. I think the Utes are much better than their record shows so I wouldn't count them out as of yet. I believe they have finally turned the corner and I'm rooting for them, the Aggies and my Cougars to all go bowling this year!

Go Utes! Go Aggies! And go Cougars!

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Oct. 29, 2012 8:44 a.m.

motorbike

Same question for U; will the Utes ever be in contention for a major bowl after September?

btw, being "mathematically" in contention is NOT the same as actually being a contender.

Even IF the Utes hadn't belly-flopped against Colorado last season, the Utes had absolutely NO CHANCE of actually beating Stanford or Oregon in the PAC 12 championship game.

Being in "contention" is like pretending that a 6-win Utah basketball team could win the PAC 12 championship and then win the NCAA tournament. Mathematically, it's possible. Realistically, it's IMPOSSIBLE.

You can continue believing that the Utes are still in "contention" after September if it helps you sleep at night, but that's the reality of power conference bottom dwellers - always in "contention", but never contenders.

The exact same argument you're using for Utah, could be made for Ol' Miss, Vanderbilt, Duke, Northwestern, Washington State, and a host of other perennial power conference bottom dwellers.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 29, 2012 8:58 a.m.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 8:58 a.m.

Not so Rosy here. Think about it, those Zonas has benn sniffing dead roses foever. If you do win the remaining 4 games would you go to Yankee stadium that more likely have some spotty fans around that stadium? I didn't think you want to play at NM near the pit? SF would be nice there next to the bay and SF and the world champ SF Giants would be cool place to be. But against WA and AZ will dashed your plan. Good luck at Colo like what happened last year. Good luck!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 29, 2012 9:10 a.m.

@thebigsamoan

Great post and totally agree. I can't believe all the BYU fans (Utah Haters) who come on here like a wet blanket. I hope all three schools go bowling and I think they will!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 9:11 a.m.

I've never even heard of the Pinstripe Bowl. It would be pretty cool to go to New York though. Even if it is cold New York at the holidays is a fun place to be. I wouldn't get to optimistic about it though as I highly doubt utah will beat either az or wa. But it is possible.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 29, 2012 9:17 a.m.

@Duckhunter

Im otimistic, the Utes usually finish strong and yes, Arizona and UW are pivital. I don't think you can sleep on WSU either, especially after watching them at Stanford on Saturday. Nice win by your Cougs on Saturday.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 10:23 a.m.

The Utes will dominate their home games. Which will make everything hang on the Colorado game again.

• CRB Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 12:05 p.m.

Isn't it interesting. The only way Utah can have a worse bowl game than BYU is not to have one at all. At 6-6 Utah still plays against a BCS team. Even if BYU were 11-1 and probably even if they were 12-0 (given that they play an average 78th place team and have yet to beat a team in the top 50) they would get Fresno, SDSU or whoever is runner up in the MWC. Independance has got them worse competition in bowls and given the current bowl setup BYU would never again play a BCS team in a bowl game unless of course they were to play a strong 7-8 game BCS schedule and actually win some. The problem is all the bowls that have BCS teams are slotted to specific conferences so there are few openings available and essentially none against BCS teams let alone against teams in the top 30 or 25. Sure Utah may not make a bowl, going to one is better than not going for the fans. But going to one nobody cares about does nothing for a program and that's BYU's fate as an independant.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 12:26 p.m.

First of all, let's not count Utah out of a bowl game. They could go.

CRB,

Your logic makes no sense. You say that a 12-0 BYU would play in the Poinsettia Bowl because they have yet to beat a team in the top 50. Huh? If BYU were undefeated, they would have beaten 2 opponents in the top 10 (which, last I checked, is in the top 50). An undefeated BYU would have played in a BCS bowl game. BYU is a lot better than their record, with all their losses being realistically possible wins if Riley Nelson could throw the ball well.

All in all, does it matter what bowl you go to if you're not playing for the national championship? Until we have a playoff, all other bowls are meaningless in the long run.

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 12:59 p.m.

I think CRB meant with the 12-0 comment that even when non bcs teams go undefeated, sometimes it is up to the other top 8-10 teams records and how they do if that team will actually go to a bcs bowl game, but I can see how that would go misinterpreted. It's frustrating because, yeah, I'm a Utah fan but it's nice to see other state of Utah teams do well too so when a team is pinned to just a couple of bowls after one loss, it gets rid of the excitement and the fun of where they will go because the system has made it so predictable. Hopefully the play off system gets rid of the political bcs crap and just lets everyone play. Yeah, I like the Pac 12, sure, but I would love to see everyone on an equal playing field for the national championship and we all know it's not even close.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 29, 2012 1:11 p.m.

CRB

"At 6-6 Utah still plays against a BCS team."

A bcs team that's currently 3-4, with 4 straight losses - sound familiar?

It's laughable how Utah fans like to throw out the "bcs" label whenever they need to validate a Utah opponent.

btw, the Baylor team that CBS is "projecting" to meet Utah in the Pinstripe Bowl, plays at #12 Oklahoma, then finishes at home against #2 Kansas State, #18 Texas Tech and #24 Oklahoma State. Kinda makes you wonder what the college football "experts" at CBS are smoking.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Oct. 29, 2012 1:21 p.m.

CRB

"Sure Utah may not make a bowl, going to one is better than not going for the fans. But going to one nobody cares about does nothing for a program..."

LOL!

You're too funny for words.

I'd be willing to bet the ranch that, without looking it up, you couldn't name the two teams that played in the Pinstripe Bowl last season, let alone, know who won the game.

The vast majority of fans couldn't even tell you which teams played in each of the bcs bowls, let alone who won, proving that your minor bowl "relevance" is nothing but a bunch of hot air.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 29, 2012 1:30 p.m.

Good luck, but I don't think Utah will beat Washington or Arizona. And if you do, an invite to the Pinstripe bowl will be because U were not good enough to get invited to the New Mexico Bowl. I wouldn't take a lot of pride in that. Time to admit it hasn't been a good year for the Utes. Remember all the comments U made about the Cougs going to the New Mexico bowl two years ago, and now to think U are not good enough to get there. Face it - it's been a tough year.

As for the Cougs, it's also been a down year, but to think we lost 3 games by 7 points makes it feel a little better.

Can U please get over BYUs schedule. Holmoe said it would be two challenging years. This years schedule was great, except for November. Next years schedule could be too challenging. Definitely will surpass the Utes SofS.

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 1:42 p.m.

*raises hand*

Rutgers(7-4) played Iowa State(6-5) in the 2011 Pinstripe Bowl.

truth in advertising - I did have to look it up because I couldn't have cared less about actually watching the game.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Oct. 29, 2012 1:51 p.m.

"Spokane Ute
    Spokane, WA
    I love all the haters. The insecurity is amazing. Utah will go 6-6 and end up who know's where. Thats the beauty of playing in a BCS conference. The bowl possibilities are pretty endless. Unfortunately for BYU, after one loss they are pegged to the Poinsettia or Holiday bowl. I liked it better before all the bowl tie ins. It's too bad BYU doesn'g get more opportunities as an independent."

As long as BYU remains a church run institution, they are not going to end up in a BCS conference so we can put that talk to bed.

I do however think that they can fix most of their problems by winning. In 1996 they were (13-1) playing much less of a schedule than they did this current season. They were slated for whatever bowl the WAC had a tie in with but, played in the Cotton Bowl. The bottom line is they need to win.

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 1:57 p.m.

Not sure why people are being rude or condescending in here. Really there is no reason to be. The point that I got from Jealous U was that these bowl games really don't have a relevance to anyone but each teams fans. That's what makes the basketball tournament so fun in march, people set up their brackets and root for teams that aren't even their teams. Hopefully we can see this eventually.....

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Oct. 29, 2012 2:21 p.m.

Oh the bitterness!!

I think for those of us interested more in being fair and open minded, if Utah becomes bowl eligible, they will have earned it. U went from a high of beating BYU, through the valley of the shadow of death, and may or may not be on the plains of despair.

BYU started too slow, but showed really well at Notre Dame and finally put it all together against a "BCS" team with a poor defense and a great offense. U remember Georgia Tech, don't you? Now a game against SJSU (what's BYU's all-time record against SJSU? I don't think a Ute has reminded us of that in, oh, 5 minutes), and a couple of cupcakes, and we get the #2 team from the MWC.

There were a whole lotta seasons when Utah wasn't even the #2 team in the MWC. With a lucky bounce, that COULD be Boise. Too bad they aren't "BCS."

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 3:17 p.m.

I liked it much better when the bowl games were limited to the top 20 or so teams and a bowl invitation let alone win meant something.

A bowl was great but now...pinstripe, dustbowl, other awful named and meaningless bowls...really?

Utah highschools should do away with the state games and get involved in
    thanksgiving point bowl
    goshen bowl
    beaver bowl
    gusher bowl
    heber bowl
    hurricane bowl
    tremonton bowl

and the grandaddy of them all the ....dead sea scroll bowl

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 3:46 p.m.

Will someone please set the record straight. Didn't Utah already play in their bowl game and win it back on September 15th? I'm certain I read that somewhere.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 29, 2012 3:46 p.m.

The Pin Stripe bowl pays out $1.8 mill, while the Poinsettia bowl pays out $.5. BYU get's hosed in the bowl tie in deal, they really need to join a BCS conference.

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 29, 2012 4:04 p.m.

@ Whoa Nellie

"Will someone please set the record straight. Didn't Utah already play in their bowl game and win it back on September 15th? I'm certain I read that somewhere".

Didn't BYU win their bowl game back on October 5th? I'm sure I read that somewhere!

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 29, 2012 4:14 p.m.

I would love to see the UTES in a bowl but realistically I do not see that happening now. Arizona is a good team this year. Yes the Utes can beat them but I give it a 30% chance. As for Washington again the Utes can beat them but at UW it is going to be much harder. Again 30% chance.

This of course is if they win against Washington St and Colorado. WSU is a sleeper with a chance to really light it up. They have not done that too much but could. I give the Utes a 75% chance with them. As for Colorado well they have won one game but they are not good. 95% chance there (and I am being nice to Colorado)

Given all the odds I think there is maybe a 10-20% chance that Utah wins 3 of the last 4 games. But I like the odds and hope they beat the odds and get into a bowl regardless of which one.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 4:33 p.m.

CougFaninTX

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 29, 2012 5:14 p.m.

Two For Flinching - "The Pinstripe Bowl's payout is significantly higher than the New Mexico bowl, so it would actually be an upgrade."

Truthfully, the payout is meaningless, until the U or Y start giving me some of the money. Do you get a portion of the payout? Will U get cheaper tickets next year if the U goes to a higher payout bowl? The payout should matter to the university, but the average fan doesn't really care.

Let's face it there are about 8 bowls with some prestige. If U or Y get there, that's a good thing. U've been there twice. BYU has been there once (Cotton Bowl). After that it's all about location.

For example, I'd much rather go to Dallas (Armed Force Bowl)than to El Paso (Sun Bowl). I'd rather go to San Diego (already got my air tickets) than Albuquerque. NYC would be a cool place to go, but not this week. Good luck against AZ and WA.

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    Oct. 29, 2012 5:31 p.m.

As always, the kids on the hill consider bowl payout to be the end-all-be-all of bowl prestige, when, in fact, not a single one of them even watched the Pinstripe Bowl last year, and, NONE of them will be watching this year, if Utah isn't playing in the bowl.

• UtahBronco Lehi, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 6:06 p.m.

One advantage of going to a bowl game (any bowl game) that fans sometimes overlook is the extra weeks of practice that can benefit a team going into next year's season.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 6:23 p.m.

Don't forget Ohio St & Penn St are ineligible.

Duke is bowl eligible... what a nutty season.

I'm sticking to my prediction that it'll be Oregon v Alabama in the BCS title game.

• UtahBronco Lehi, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 6:26 p.m.

Sometimes us fans overlook one advantage accruing from a team going to a bowl game (any bowl game). That is the extra weeks of practice which benefits the team going into the following season.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Oct. 29, 2012 6:36 p.m.

BYU's bowl may "only" pay half a million, but who do they have to share the money with?

Oh. Right. Nobody.

Whereas the Utes have to share the money from the Bowl with the rest of the conference. Of course, they also get a share of the money from the Rose Bowl and/or any other bowl a Pac-12 team plays in. So they are in good position even if they don't make a bowl.

But had BYU stayed in the MWC, they would stand to take home less money than they are by being independent. Right?

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Oct. 29, 2012 6:41 p.m.

I'm not sure arguing between the Yankee Stadium bowl and the San Diego Credit Union Lenders and Borrowers bowl is an argument that can be won or lost.

Lets face it, Utah is in another unscheduled rebuilding year. We're not a program and need to recruit better to become relevant.

BYU? No conference...no schedule strength. Strange dynamics with coaches, assistants and QB.

I think Utahs issues are repairable. Not sure BYU's issues are...but I do know that any bowl played before New Years Eve is pretty meaningless...no bragging rights here...

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 7:33 p.m.

@ NevadaCoug 6:36 p.m. Oct. 29, 2012

Is that because the y is prideful & greedy or sharing is socialism?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 8:45 p.m.

@CougFaninTX

You wrote: "Next years (BYU) schedule could be too challenging. Definitely will surpass the Utes SofS."

Really? Now don't get me wrong, I know BYU has a great looking schedule lined up, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Utah Opponents and their current Sagarin ratings which is the best thing we currently have to go on:

#173 Weber State
    #24 USU
    #22 @BYU
    #19 @Arizona
    #20 ASU
    #14 @USC
    #27 UCLA
    #6 @Oregon
    #49 Washington
    #13 @Stanford
    #10 OSU
    #155 Colorado

Take a close look at that ... 9 of 12 opponents are currently rated 27th or better. Now consider that the toughest aspect of a football schedule - road games - produces an average rating of 15.

Your turn.

• Ironmomo Ogden, Utah
    Oct. 29, 2012 9:00 p.m.

"most coaches aspire to bigger jobs with better contracts and usually don’t turn down chances to work in bigger conferences"

You mean like coach John L Smith....who jumped from the Aggies...to Louisville....to Michigan State.....to bankruptcy....to Weber State....and then to Arkansas?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 9:15 p.m.

@CougFaninTX

I decided to help you out... call me curious. Like I said, I know BYU has a good schedule next year and I thought I ought to look at the numbers for myself.

So here they are ... current Sagarin ratings for every BYU opponent on next years schedule:

#18 Texas
    #26 Boise State
    #24 @Utah State
    #81 Georgia Tech
    #98 @Houston
    #31 @Wisconsin
    #2 @Notre Dame
    #169 @Hawaii
    #44 Utah
    #97 Middle Tennessee State
    #87 @Washington State

The numbers average out to be 61.5 rating and this is prior to BYU scheduling a 12th opponent which we all know will be a patsy at this point.

Utah's average Sagarin rating for all opponents is 44.3

Now, as I mentioned previously, road games are weighted much heavier than road games. We already know Utah's road opponents average just under 15. The average Sagarin of BYU's road teams next year?? 68.5

Safe to say Utah's SOS will be well higher than BYU's next year. Why does this matter? It doesn't. I simply can't stand when people make ridiculous comments as if they're fact and don't back them up.

• BYUfaninWashSt Everett, WA
    Oct. 29, 2012 9:18 p.m.

The Participation Trophy Generation! Everyone wins! No one loses! All who participate get a bowl game! We are all winners! Nevermind both BYU and Utah lost all their meaningful games.

• Why would I? Farmington, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 10:56 p.m.

Why would I spend the money to go to either bowl game....?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 29, 2012 11:04 p.m.

Bowl payout IS the end-all-be-all of bowl prestige.

More bowl dollars means better sponsorships because more people watch the game. Period. You guys can argue against it until you are blue in the face, but it doesn't change the fact.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    Oct. 29, 2012 11:16 p.m.

What is interesting about this article is that BYU must win 1 of the following games to even be considered for a bowl game: 1-7 Idaho or 1-7 New Mexico State. Is this truely the level to which BYU football has now sunk to. At this time of year, you should not be playing these types of teams. Who puts together this schedule? Oh, I forgot, this is what independence brings to a once storied program. Many others have already pointed this out that after September, the Cougars are no longer relevant. I also learned today that the San Jose State game was moved from a 1:00pm prime-time slot to a 7:30pm PST slot in November. Does this give you a hint of how this program is viewed?

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 4:43 a.m.

As USU wins the next three games it will move into the top 25 and be higher ranked than both the y and U. What a crazy wonderful year.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 8:12 a.m.

The Deuce

Either you've been on another planet for the last two years or you're simply throwing out hyperbole. EVERYONE knows that the only reason Idaho and NM St have been on BYU's schedule the last couple of years is because of the short-term scheduling crunch Holmoe faced when BYU moved to Independence. Utah fans who continue to harp on this are either completely clueless or are simply rehashing the same old tired arguments because they have NOTHING else to whine about.

btw, #36 San Jose State is ranked HIGHER in Sagarin than the mighty weak #44 Utes, but not as high as the mighty #22 Cougars!

Not surprising since the Utes are 0-1 in the WAC.

Eventually, it will finally dawn on the kids on the hill that U don't get a trophy for being a PAC 12 bottom dweller.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Oct. 30, 2012 8:16 a.m.

RE: motorbike

Usually trolls just grate on my nerves, but you make an excellent point, Touché. Ultimately SOS and bowl status only matter if you win games. Hopefully next year both the Cougs and Utes can do so.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 8:22 a.m.

Two For Flinching

"Bowl payout IS the end-all-be-all of bowl prestige."

Don't kid yourself; there's absolutely NO PRESTIGE playing in ANY of the minor bowls. If you think that the rest of the country is going to care about a 6-6 Utah team playing another 6-6 team in whatever bowl, you're only deluding yourself.

• TheNun Granstville, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 8:24 a.m.

sports authority,

While you may be correct in stating the Utes would not have had a chance at beating either Stanford or Oregon in last year's PAC12 championship game, that's why the games are played to find out on the field.

But, here's something that has no arguement, mathmatically, realistically or any other way one would want to look at it, BYU had no chance of even playing in the PAC12 championship game. Or any other league championship game, for that matter.

• scott Alpine, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 8:52 a.m.

TheNun

If being "mathematically" in the PAC 12 championship hunt helps U sleep at night, good for U; just realize that you're no closer to actually winning a PAC 12 championship than Arizona, which has been "mathematically" in the PAC conference championship hunt for over 30 years, with still no Rose Bowl to show for it.

The Utes only won 2 WAC championships in 38 years, so winning conference championships isn't exactly something U do anyway.

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Oct. 30, 2012 10:12 a.m.

Two For Flinching

Things must be getting really desperate for the Utes to beating their chests about the "prestige" of playing in a bowl U haven't even qualified for. The fact that the Utes are even in the bowl discussion this season is proof of just how watered-down and meaningless the bowls have become.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 10:13 a.m.

Solomon Levi

There are levels of prestige in the minor bowls. The Outback bowl is not the same as the International Bowl. However, it doesn't matter what the "country" things about whatever bowl Utah (hopefully) goes to because the fact is that is gives the team extra practices, national exposure, and a chance to play in front of potential recruits who may not know what Utah is all about.

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 10:18 a.m.

Someone mentioned that Utah has to share their bowl money while BYU gets to keep it all. While that IS true, think of who will have to share their bowl money with US? Oregon, Stanfod, probably Oregon St, ASU......

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Oct. 30, 2012 11:26 a.m.

cedarcityute

There's no question that Utah will be making far more in television and bowl revenue than BYU. The real issues for Utah are these:

First of all, BYU is no longer your primary competitor.

Second, the advantages of having more revenue lies in being able to build better facilities. Since BYU already has great facilities, it's going to take the Utes many years just to match the facilities BYU already enjoys.

Third, since Utah's chief competitors are the other members of the PAC 12 and most of them already have superior facilities and are constantly improving those facilities, the Utes are playing a perpetual game of catch up that they can never win.

Of course you can claim that money isn't the only factor in being competitive, which is true, but using that argument also negates the more money argument that Utah fans have been proclaiming was going to make Utah so superior that BYU would never be able to compete with the Utes again.

Basically, ALL of the arrogant "bcs conference" superiority arguments that Utah fans have been using lately are completely invalidated by Utah's recent football success.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 30, 2012 12:16 p.m.

slywalker

News flash, no one has accepted any bowl invitations, since none have been issued. New to this thing they call college football?

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 1:10 p.m.

Spokane Ute

News flash - Skywalker didn't say anything about bowl invitations, so if you're going to whine, at least try to stay on topic.

Addressing your whine - Most fans at least wait until their team has a reasonable assurance of qualifying for a bowl before spouting off about bowl invitations, so Sorensen is simply grasping at straws in reporting that CBS's "predictions" are anything more than wishful thinking on the part of a Ute homer.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 30, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Sportfan

No he said "Things must be getting really desperate for the Utes to beating their chests about the "prestige" of playing in a bowl U haven't even qualified for." Try reading the thread before calling some one out. Which Utah fan is beating on their chest? No one's been invited to any bowl BYU Homer.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 3:08 p.m.

Wiscougarfan ...

"Ultimately SOS and bowl status only matter if you win games."

I could not agree with you more. Strength of schedule, etc, is great and all, but I'll be the first to admit that Utah AND BYU will both have a tough mountain to climb next year. Strength of schedule really only matters if you win your games.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Oct. 30, 2012 3:29 p.m.

Spokane Ute

Two words: reading comprehension

The entire thread is filled with Utah fans boasting about the money and "prestige" of playing in the Pinstripe Bowl - a bowl, which you correctly pointed out, the Utes haven't even been invited to.

Why would Utah fans even be talking about the Pinstripe Bowl if they weren't wishfully hoping that the Utes would actually be able to accept an invitation to the bowl if it were offered?

Regardless, it's ridiculous for a team with only 3 wins to even be talking about bowl possibilities.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 30, 2012 5:16 p.m.

SportsFan

-----------

True. It is as ridiculous as celebrating for a 1-0 team:

"People danced in the streets. They hugged perfect strangers. They lit off fireworks."

Too early for bowl talk. Bring on WSU.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 30, 2012 5:22 p.m.

@ Sportsfan

One word: "Projections". Google it.

• Big Blue Payson, UT
    Oct. 31, 2012 12:54 a.m.

Gary is not going anywhere. He wants to coach his kids, plus Cal is not going to cut Tedford loose when they owe him that kind of scratch. That's amost 7 million they would owe him were they to fire him...That is a lot of scratch.

READ IT HERE: GARY ANDERSEN IS NOT GOING ANWHERE!!!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 31, 2012 8:28 a.m.

@big blue

No one, including you, knows if Anderson will go somewhere else or not. That is just wishful thinking on your part. I'm sure you would stay in your job for less pay and less prestige as well if something much more lucrative with higher upside came along. Think about what you are saying here.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Oct. 31, 2012 8:47 a.m.

Uteology

"True. It is as ridiculous as celebrating for a 1-0 team: People danced in the streets. They hugged perfect strangers. They lit off fireworks."

LOL at your hyperbole and inconsistency.

BYU had just beaten the #3 team in country in a nationally televised game played in the most magnificent stadium ever built for football. BYU fans weren't celebrating 1-0, they were celebrating a great win.

Compare that to Utah fans rushing the field THREE times for barely beating an unranked, irrelevant, "former" rival.

-------

Spokane Fan

Since when do you beat your chest about a bowl "projection" when your team still has to win three of its final four games just to qualify for a bowl?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 31, 2012 10:54 p.m.

@TrueBlue

----------

Great win? Since when do great wins happen in week one that lead to "fireworks" and "dancing in the street"? Can you name me another instance? Ever?

Did Appalachian State fans when they won at #5 Michigan in 2007?

Sorry, great wins resulting in "airport celebrations" only occur in postseason games.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 1, 2012 7:40 a.m.

As a Philadelphian, I would DEFINITELY go see the Utes should they wind up in the Pinstripe Bowl. I'd even make the flight down to Florida should they wind up there. More Utah Football games on the East Coast please!

Go Utes!!!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 1, 2012 7:53 a.m.

TrueBlue

When did I beat my chest? It's a projection; nothing more, nothing less. A lot of work to be done before Utah can even think about going bowling. Are you trying to start an arguement for the sake of argueing? Appears that way.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 1, 2012 8:13 a.m.

CougFaninTX:

"Next years schedule could be too challenging. Definitely will surpass the Utes SofS."

Not "defnitely"! Next year, Utah plays @ USC, @ Oregon, and @ Stanford. We'll also play Oregon St. again -- who will be returning both Mannion and Katz-- as well as playing UCLA and @ Arizona, who are both currently ranked.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 1, 2012 8:27 a.m.

CougFaninTX:

"...I don't think Utah will beat Washington or Arizona...an invite to the Pinstripe bowl will be because U were not good enough to get invited to the New Mexico Bowl. I wouldn't take a lot of pride in that."

FYI -- 2011 per-team bowl payouts:

Poinsettia: $500K
    New Mexico: $750K
    Pinstripe: $1.8M
    Sun: $2M.

If Utah gets selected to play in the Pinstripe Bowl, it wouldn't be because we weren't good enough to get into the New Mexico Bowl. It would be because we weren't good enough to get back to the Sun Bowl. Fail on your part.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 1, 2012 8:42 a.m.

SportsFan:

"Why would Utah fans even be talking about the Pinstripe Bowl if they weren't wishfully hoping that the Utes would actually be able to accept an invitation..."

The articles said:

"Even before Utah’s convincing 49-27 victory over Cal Saturday night, CBSsports.com had the Utes playing in a bowl game...So what bowl did CBS have Utah going to? It must have been the Kraft Hunger Bowl in San Francisco or the New Mexico Bowl in Albuquerque, which get the sixth and seventh picks from the Pac-12, right?...Actually it’s the Pinstripe Bowl, which is played Dec. 29 in New York’s Yankee Stadium."

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Nov. 1, 2012 10:28 a.m.

navel vet

"You wanna know why Ute fans would be talking about the Pinstripe Bowl? It's because CBSsports -- not Utah fans -- brought it up. THIS is what initiated the discussion. The REAL question is why would Y fans be discussing BCS bowls and national championships prior to the season's opening kickoff?"

Bowl payout has NOTHING to do with quality of team.

Conference bowl affiliations establish a pecking order for bowls to select bowl eligible teams, and bowls couldn't care less which team is "better", the ONLY thing bowls care about is which team is more marketable and which team will bring more fans to the game.

As far as fans discussing BCS bowls and national championships, EVERY fan base discusses best case scenarios for their team prior to the season, this is nothing unique to BYU fans.

That's a far cry from fans of a team that's on the brink of not even qualifying for a bowl, discussing the "prestige" of playing in any particular bowl.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Nov. 1, 2012 10:36 a.m.

navel vet

"Next year, Utah plays @ USC, @ Oregon, and @ Stanford. We'll also play Oregon St. again -- who will be returning both Mannion and Katz-- as well as playing UCLA and @ Arizona, who are both currently ranked."

In other words, the Utes face the very real possibility of not qualifying for a bowl in back-to-back seasons. The whining and wailing and gnashing of teeth will be heard all the way to Philly. We'll have to issue a tornado warning on the hill because of the spin. Enjoy!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    Nov. 2, 2012 7:01 a.m.

Rockwell:

"Conference bowl affiliations establish a pecking order for bowls to select bowl eligible teams, and bowls couldn't care less which team is 'better', the ONLY thing bowls care about is which team is more marketable and which team will bring more fans to the game...There's not a bowl in the country that wouldn't pick an unranked 7-5 Notre Dame over a ranked 12-0 New Mexico in a heartbeat."

There has never been a 12-0 ranked UNM team, so that can't be known. What CAN be known, however, is that a 12-0 MWC team HAD been selected over a 7-5 Notre Dame team. In 2010, a 12-0 MWC team (TCU) was selected ahead of a 7-5 Notre Dame team for the Rose Bowl. So it looks like the "tornado warning" due to "spin" is down there in Baltimore. FAIL!

"Bowl payout has NOTHING to do with quality of team."

It has a LOT to do with it, but you wouldn't know since the Y had played in only ONE multi-million bowl game: The '97 Cotton. And which cougar team played in THAT bowl game? A 6-6 one?