Faith

Mitt and Ann Romney speak on LDS faith Thursday

Comments

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Oct. 19, 2012 5:47 p.m.

The political process would be a better thing political candidates kept their religion to themselves.

• DarenAZ Placentia, CA
    Oct. 20, 2012 11:18 a.m.

@hutterite, I hate to tell you but a persons religion helps define who they are and what they belieive and how they lead. You can see that with our current president. And besides the media are the ones brining up Romneys faith not the Romneys.

• garysticht Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 20, 2012 12:28 p.m.

Do these people go into a room and say, Hey post on your Facebook account, "Catholics believe that eating baby tigers gives you magic powers." Once that's posted I can run with a story, "I read that you believe that by eating baby tigers you'll get magic powers. Is that really what you believe?"

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    Oct. 20, 2012 1:21 p.m.

Anne Romney's comparing serving a Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints with serving in the United States Military as being comparable is just wrong. Both are honorable services but totally different, often members of the LDS Church serve both a church mission and in the military. This article glosses over what was ask by Whoopi Goldberg and what Anne Romney answered. Read the Article in the Washington Post to get the quotations of what was actually said in the interview on the View. I as an LDS woman am very disappointed in Anne Homney's answers in this interview.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 20, 2012 1:47 p.m.

You are too kind to Whoopi on that question. It was a liberal trap calculated to create some trivial news item.
    And it did just that.
    I suppose they prefer to see more ink to pump up the left's intolerance of Mormons and less on Libya and the sinking economy.

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    Oct. 20, 2012 3:16 p.m.

Say No to BO

Mapleton, UT

Call it what you like but when you agree to go on any talk show regardless of party offiliation you can expect the hard questions. Many people do not understand what we Mormons believe and there is a lot of misinformation out there so it is only fair that those questions are ask.
    Mitt Romney himself had been booked on the View but backed out because he did not want to go head to head with the women of the View so Anne was sent in as his replacement. I do not find what was said to be trivial, I have plenty of family that has served both missions for the church and then served in the military and to say that one replaces the other in service is just wrong. Both Church and military service are very honorable in there own right but one does not replace the other.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    Oct. 20, 2012 3:34 p.m.

I understand why Sister Romney would accept an invitation to this forum. However, most of the hostesses are so biased that nothing they say or do has any real credibility with any person with any common sense. They are shills for the democrats and especially President Obama. I didn't see the show but from what I have seen of Sister Romney, I am sure she more than held her own. I just wish more Republicans were as tough and straightforward as she is with these people.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 20, 2012 4:04 p.m.

"Now, I believe that your religion doesn't allow you to go fight," Goldberg said to Ann.

Open mouth, insert foot. Nice job Ms. Goldberg. Very symbolic of a myriad of other comments and issues she knows nothing about.

• codger Southwest Utah, UT
    Oct. 20, 2012 8:56 p.m.

Ann should have suggested that Whoppi be more discriminating in her information sources.

• open minded Lehi, UT
    Oct. 20, 2012 9:18 p.m.

Liberal Media, blah blah blah. Don't blame the media for asking questions- that's their job. The bigger issue to me is that while the Romney's may be Mormon in name, they are not in action. They live by the philosophy of "you can buy anything in this world for money." We may belong to the same religion but view it very differently. President Kimball described what Filthy Lucre is and Bain capitol and Mitt fit that description so neatly it is amazing. Mitt's blatant deceit of his record in public office and his lies about Obama, personally I'm not an Obama fan just pointing out as an independent voter it's obvious Mitt lies, are shameful- Do you deal honestly with your fellow man Mitt? Yes I am judging him, but since he has put himself in the public light he will be judged. I am embarrassed that Mitt is currently the public representative for my faith. No he may not be that officially, but he is by default in the public's eye.

• jeanie orem, UT
    Oct. 20, 2012 9:45 p.m.

I watched The View where Ann was asked this by Ms. Goldberg, who obviously hadn't done much homework. As an aside - interviewers will ask hard questions, but good interviewers do their homework first.

The question asked connected Romney's religion with comforting military parents. Given the context and the ignorance of the origional question I think Ann did fine. She was answering the question in light of her religion. That is the context in which the conversation started.

Her comments later acknowledged the extreme difficulty of comforting parents who are in that situation. Before you judge Ann listen to the whole interview.

As an LDS woman I give Ann credit for going on that show at all. She is a gracious woman who obviously loves and believes in her husband. I think would do as good of a job as anyone comforting the families of fallen soldiers whether or not her own sons had served in the military.

• LeDoc SLC, UT
    Oct. 20, 2012 9:48 p.m.

I really don't see it as a fair representation of the church to point out that 2/3 of the quorum of the 12 and 1st Pres. served in the military. Look at their ages....heck the service was WWII, a time EVERY able bodied man along with many women served.

compare that to recent numbers....Utahn's do not currently do a lot of enlisting.

According to stats I've seen only the US virgin Islands and American Samoa enlist less...Utah ranks number 53 out of 55.

Oh for those wondering why 55, you have to add Guam, Puerto Rico, DC and the other 2 previously mentioned.

• Utah Girl Vernal, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 12:06 a.m.

I have had 2 sons and one grandson in the military, and 3 sons who have served missions. One of those sons will soon be enlisting in the Air Force. One of my 2 sons who served in the military was in Iraq in 2003 at the beginning of the war there, with the Marines. And the other son is currently in the U.S. Army Infantry, recently returned from Afghanistan. They both enlisted from Utah, as will the son who is going into the AF.

Missions and military service are very different ways to serve, but both are honorable ways to serve.

I have not seen Ann's interview in total yet, just bits and pieces, and she did well in what I saw. When you are being interviewed by people who have preconceived ideas about the subject they are asking about, it is hard to give answers that will satisfy them.

Mitt is not an official representative of the Church, but I'm proud to say I support him, I feel he represents the Church well, and I believe he would do an excellent job as President of the United States.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 7:36 a.m.

Elder Oaks of the seventy is a retired 4 star general. Many LDS serve and have served honorably in every branch of the military. Returned missionaries can be found at all of the service academies. Many returned missionaries use their foreign language skills and serve as interrogators and interpeters. For Whoopi Goldberg to be this uninformed is unexcuseable. It was a stupid question. Ann Romney pointed out that missionary service and and military service both provide an opportunity for boys to gain maturity and valuable lfe experiences. totally valid comparision.

• Emajor Ogden, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 7:44 a.m.

I'm sure Mr. Romney was more than happy to use his mission as an excuse to avoid Vietnam. If he was so inclined, he probably could have done both; his mission started in 1966 and the war didn't end until 1975. But I shouldn't be too harsh on him for that; unlike George W. Bush who also dodged the war, he isn't a shameless war monger.

For privileged folks like the Romneys (who usually can find a way to avoid military service if they want to), you have to be careful how you address this topic. In an interview with Mitt's five sons, when asked about whether they had patriotically served in the military themselves, they dodged the question and provided a very disingenuous answer. Rather than just honestly admit that wealthy people simply don't have a need to go into military service, they tried to equate their religious missions and political service as giving a great sacrifice for their country. Sure.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct. 21, 2012 9:14 a.m.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 21, 2012 10:37 a.m.

Re: xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    "Could it be that Romney went on the Mission to avoid going to Vietnam? Just asking!"

• Bebyebe UUU, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 11:05 a.m.

Rifleman,

Compared to slogging through jungle and getting shot at, yeah spending 2 years in a suit in france IS a vacation.

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    Oct. 21, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Whoopi likely knew Mormons happily serve in the military, but she likely used this as a way to instill controversy and make Ann squirm. Obama avoided military service as well but did nothing akin to it. At least Romney served a religous mission. People who think missionary service is a cake-eater job are mistaken. It too is a great service.

I do not know of very many who join the military on principle alone. The vast majority do it as a way to obtain a job and to pay for college, which is wonderful. I have always been proud of my three brothers who served in the military, one in Viet Nam. But I don't blame those who find other avenues for employment.

Ann was stellar on this show. What a great First Lady she will make.

• SammyB Provo, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 11:30 a.m.

Open-minded,

I also had a bad opinion of Romney for years because I didn't do my research. I don't believe it is being open-minded to believe the clap-trap without digging. The things you wrote just aren't true. You do not know the man and you have listened to lies and distortions.

Those who know the Romneys tell a very different story than the media. Even liberal reporters have said many times that the Romney they know is a very nice man and does not portray himself properly. That is because he refuses to tout his constant service to others for political expediency.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct. 21, 2012 11:52 a.m.

Thank you, Bebyebe! Notice how Rifleman didn't respond to my question, bt decided to give possibly one of the lamest excuses I have ever heard, by comparing a mission to a tour of duty in the Vietnam War. Unbelievable!

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Oct. 21, 2012 12:59 p.m.

@xscribe

I enjoy toygunboy's thoughtful comments.

DN readers are blessed to have the opportunity to read such amazing logic.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Oct. 21, 2012 2:04 p.m.

Mitt Romney:

"My sons are all adults and they've made decisions about their careers and they've chosen not to serve in the military and active duty and I respect their decision in that regard. One of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected because they think I'd be a great president."

It is rather insulting that the Romney's portray an equivalence between serving in the military and going on a mission or participating in a campaign. Ann Romney could've said something to the effect of "no my sons didn't make the choice to serve and I honor all those who put their lives on the line representing the U.S. in a military uniform. It is a very difficult job they've chosen and my heart goes out to the parents of those who serve."

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Oct. 21, 2012 2:29 p.m.

Here we go again!
    What world is this Romney family living in?
    Certainly different than the one most of us have inhabited for recorded history.

• EWN SAN JOSE, CA
    Oct. 22, 2012 10:00 a.m.

I don't understand why whether or not Mitt (and sons) served in the military is an issue. If it IS in issue then the fact that President Obama didn't serve in the military also needs to be put on the table.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 10:08 a.m.

@Rifleman
    "You think spending 2 years in a suit and tie knocking on doors is some kind of vacation?"

Compared to Vietnam, absolutely.

@Andermart
    "Whoopi likely knew Mormons happily serve in the military"

I think she probably just confused the LDS church view on the matter with the Jehovah's Witnesses view on the matter since a lot of people can't tell the difference between the two groups known for knocking on doors.

"Obama avoided military service as well but did nothing akin to it."

Avoided military service? He was like 10 years old when the draft was in place.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 23, 2012 12:55 p.m.

Re: xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    "Thank you, Bebyebe! Notice how Rifleman didn't respond to my question,"

Stating that going on a LDS mission is no vacation can only be construed as a comparison with duty in Vietnam if you are a liberal that did neither.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Oct. 24, 2012 6:35 a.m.

I remember a while back when dems floated the idea of mandatory service missions among youth in groups like the peace corp as an alternative to military service. Many of the duties performed in such a service organization are similar to the types of service rendered on a fulltime mission--only fulltime missionaries do it all the time/nonstop with much higher moral standards and better regulation--and in every part of the world they're permitted. I think any liberal who denigrates LDS missionary service as unworthy of comparison to military service is kinda hypocritical and not completely aware of their own party's inborn inclinations.