BYU football: Can the Cougars beat two top 10 teams in a row?

Comments

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 10:46 a.m.

BYU football: Can the Cougars beat two top 10 teams in a row?

• KSUBYU Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 10, 2012 11:06 a.m.

Maybe we should worry about scoring more than 7 points before thinking about beating anyone really good.

• Broom Hockey Champ Scottsdale, AZ
    Oct. 10, 2012 11:09 a.m.

Why not?

I think they'll comfortably handle the Beaver.

In reality, I don't really think the Beavers are a top 10 team. There is no question the Beavers are top 25, but probably not top 10. ND won't be a top 10 team by the time BYU faces them because ND is losing to Stanford this week.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Oct. 10, 2012 11:23 a.m.

Um... no.

Let me rephrase that. Emphatically No.

• donburi South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 11:53 a.m.

No, not with the offense they have been showing. BYU has never beat a good team with Nelson at QB. I feel sorry for the defense. They can hold the opposing team practically scoreless, and BYU can still lose.

• Parkite1 Park City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 1:11 p.m.

Absolutely they can, in my mind BYU should be 6-0 and would be if not for Bronco's latest poor decisions. The Cougars should win by at least 10 on Saturday. One thing non of the writers on here, the trib, KSL etc have done is give props for our loud/rowdy fans that caused Utah St. big issues last week. I expect the same on Saturday, I will certainly be doing my part as the "12th man" Provided Nelson doesn't get hurt BYU wins easily and then the defensive will make a statement game against Notre Dame. Should BYU win that they will be in the top 15 and provided Boise St loses (I think Fresno St might do it this week) then BYU might should an invite with 2 losses to a BCS Bowl. Go Cougars win it out, hold the house, and fans bring it Saturday!

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 1:21 p.m.

Was this News worthy? Throw this out. Dumb question.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 1:24 p.m.

I believe we can beat Oregon this saturday but I'm not sure we can do the same the following week. We will depend a great deal on the defense and some luck on the offense.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2012 1:56 p.m.

BYU could win both of these games but I don't think they will.

With Mannion out, Oregon State's #10 ranking will vanish. He is the main piece in OSU's success thus far. The OSU defense has been surprisingly good though. BYU and Utah will both beat OSU.

As for Notre Dame, expect BYU to get throttled in that one.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2012 2:40 p.m.

@Parkite 1

Wow, can we say delusional? And Duckhunter thinks Utah fans are up in the night. A BCS bowl? Hey Parkite 1, if I was a betting man, I would offer a wager with you where if you win, you get my SUV, and if I won, I would have you buy me a soda and chips.

BYU has no shot at a BCS bowl, even if they win all the rest of there games.

Oregon State is ranked where they are based upon what has happened thus far (this season), after the Mannion injury, OSU will be out od the top 25 all together within 11 days (following Sunday when the rankings come out) after BYU and Utah beat them.

BYU is catching OSU at the right time. They also caught Boise State and Utah at the right time but DIDN'T capitalize there. A BCS chance? Not. Utah, BYU, and Boise State are all mediocre at best this year. Unfortunately for BYU, a solid defense is going to waste with an anemic offense. Utah's offense is no better, but might and I say might put up more points because BYU turns the ball over.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 3:25 p.m.

Whether or not BYU wins, I don't expect them to get throttled in any game they play this year. I have a favorite saying with my son, who is a defender in soccer: You will never lose if the other team can't score on you. It's a little different in football, where an interception can be returned for a touchdown (thanks Boise State), but I do not expect Notre Dame to have much success offensively against BYU's defense.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 3:41 p.m.

Not very likely but I'm willing to cheer my team on.

If it happens great, if not I won't be like a Ute fan and make excuses.

Our team has some challenges but BYU has a solid defense. If there's any hope it will be the defense to keep BYU in the game.

Fortunately OSU has a new QB this weekend. Maybe that will make a difference in this first of two games.

Notre Dame, hmmmm, not so optimistic.

UCLA vs Utah... another disappointment in the works. Go Bruins!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 3:53 p.m.

"If it happens great, if not I won't be like a Ute fan and make excuses."

Really Sammy? BYU fans are notorious for blaming the refs or discrediting the other team's victory by claiming the BYU beat themselves....

• Proud Ute ,
    Oct. 10, 2012 4:02 p.m.

This is classic cougar buffonary:

Parkite1

Park City, UT

Only to be followed very shortly by:

sammyg

Springville, UT

If it happens great, if not I won't be like a Ute fan and make excuses.

I take no joy in watching you all implode while fine young men like Tayson Hill are getting hurt but with the QB and coaching soap opera you got going down there you're in danger of becoming just another bad reality show.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 10, 2012 4:02 p.m.

Clearly, not with Nelson!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 4:36 p.m.

@proud ute

More hypocrisy from you I see. Here's your schtick. Complain about BYU fans posting on articles about utah, the turn around and troll up the BYU articles.

And yes you do take joy in any negative thing that happens to BYU. Don't pretend otherwise because it is obvious.

After you're done trollig go take a look at the bad reality show going on in the trailer park on the hill, then get back to us.

LOL!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Oct. 10, 2012 5:31 p.m.

Buffoonery probably has two "o"s.

One game at a time, and I like our odds in the first game. Notre Dame? Well, it's been a long time since a miracle. And no, Utah players and fans storming the field while the ball is still live doesn't count.

I think that one is spelled b u f f o o n e r y.

• scott Alpine, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 5:41 p.m.

"Can the Cougars beat two top 10 teams in a row?"

With BYU's defense, of course they have a chance of beating either or both; whether they will or not, depends on BYU finding an offense and a kicking game.

• Proud Ute ,
    Oct. 10, 2012 5:51 p.m.

Troll,
    I don't complain about cougar trolls, I just return the favor.
    It is amusing, not flattering, but amusing either you or your alter ego sammy are so quick to post a personal reply when I spin you up.
    Must be something about being a hypocrite that makes you so thin-skinned when the tables are turned.
    You know the old saying; don't dish it out if you can't take it.

P.S. Apologies to Taysom Hill for my fat finger error in misspelling his name.

• Broom Hockey Champ Scottsdale, AZ
    Oct. 10, 2012 5:55 p.m.

I don't really care if Doman likes to shave his head, eat nachos, ski in the nude, or wear sweat pants when he goes on dates with his wife. He's the OC and Bronco chose him for a reason. I'm unclear what the reason is, but I don't need everything explained to me.

I think the Beavers will enjoy the smack that the Cougars will bring. To me OSU is a top 25 team, not a top 10 team and BYU will expose the Beavers.

I'm not sure if ND will be in the top 10 when BYU plays them. They have to get past Stanford first.

Crazier things have happened, but wouldn't it be cool if BYU spanked the beavers on Saturday, ND beat stanford and then BYU beats ND? That might thrust BYU back into BCS consideration.

• Carson Provo, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 9:17 p.m.

Byu will be spanked by both teams!

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 10:01 p.m.

Carson

More lame predictions Chris B?

• mountainflying Logan, UT
    Oct. 11, 2012 1:17 a.m.

Without Mannion, Oregon State is not even a top 25 team. If BYU can't beat them that would be sad.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Oct. 11, 2012 8:59 a.m.

@ Ducky....Scoreboard...LOL

@ Sammyg....You and alot of your fellow cougie fans are notorious excuse makers funny you would try to flip that. I could copy and paste in 100's of your comments making excuses for your team.

As to the article my answer to the ? would be Oregon St. is far from a top 10 team. Even with Mannion their not a top 10 team. Without him they will most likley end up in the 40-50 range come seasons end. So the cougies yes have a chance this week with them at home. Against the irish however they have slim to no chance winning that game ecspecially with the cougie fan's pre-season all american QB Riely playing.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 11, 2012 4:09 p.m.

2BCSWins

Really? '100's of (notorious) excuses'. Start looking and let me know when you find the mother load of my excuses.

Me really thinks this is just an outward expression of your frustration with your team and that you're disappointed for the second season in a row.

Go cheer up your team, they surely need it after 2 consecutive conference losses, and maybe 3 after Saturday afternoon.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Oct. 11, 2012 5:14 p.m.

Yeah right, put Nelson back on the sideline with his cap on backwards running around like a fool and put a real QB in and maybe you might have a fighting chance.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Oct. 12, 2012 1:09 p.m.

Sammy...I could pull 10 just from an article after the U beat the cougies yet again last month! Then pull another 30 from articles after the 54 - 10 beat down last year. Just calling you out for calling the pot black is all.