Faith

Jabari Parker considering impact of LDS mission age change

Comments

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 1:40 p.m.

I read it twice. I don' see a story here.
    Can someone enlighten me?

• drbarbiedpm GRAHAM, WA
    Oct. 9, 2012 1:41 p.m.

Go serve a mission Jabari. You won't regret it.

• Alwaysright Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 1:43 p.m.

So, the NBA has a rule that requires at least 1 year of college before entering the NBA. Does a mission count?

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 1:48 p.m.

If I could give Jabari any advice it would be to make his decision prayerfully and listen to his family and closest friends who truly have his best interests in mind. This Cougar fan would love to see Jabari playing at the Marriott Center every home game, but I will be happy with whatever his decision is as long as he does what the Lord wants him to do. Maybe that means serving a mission and maybe it doesn't.

• aljmac Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 1:59 p.m.

My prediction:
    Goes on a mission, then straight to the NBA. He'd be 20 yrs old with his whole pro career in front of him.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    Oct. 9, 2012 2:52 p.m.

Re: Alwaysright

So where did Kobe Bryant go to college for his one year?

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 3:07 p.m.

Kobe was pre-rule. I think the rule is one year out of high school, not necessarily one year of college attendance.

• shemtheo Honolulu, HI
    Oct. 9, 2012 3:26 p.m.

This is a very difficult decision for Jabari make. There is a huge body of evidence that suggests that the years from ages 19-21, or even 18-20 are incredibly important for development; especially for basketball players. What LDS basketball players in the last 30 years have gone on missions and then had successful NBA careers? Essentially none. Shawn Bradley was the number 2 overall pick in 1993, but his career is largely seen as a failure. I think his big mistake was going straight from the mission to the NBA. He was out of shape and got owned his rookie season and thereafter lost his confidence and love of the game. Jabari is a lock for NBA all-star-dome at the present, but if he does choose to go on a mission; he needs to be aware that he may never be as good as he would be if he doesn't go. If he's ok with that reality and still chooses to serve, all the more power to him.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 3:43 p.m.

Pray about it Jabari, you'll get the answer you need to get. Either way I'll always be a fan.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 4:07 p.m.

What if, Jabari commits to BYU, goes straight out on a mission, then decides to go straight into the NBA - rather than return to play a year at BYU? That would be an interesting turn of events.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 4:24 p.m.

The teams he is interested in, other than BYU, may not be interested if they have to wait 2 years and then not know what his physical conditioning would be at that time. No problem for BYU, as they handle this type of thing year in and year out. If he does opt for the mission at age 18, I think the odds are that he will end up at BYU for at least a year.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Oct. 9, 2012 4:35 p.m.

UU32

By and large, we'd feel cheated, but hopefully only a few would ever express spiteful feelings about it.

Spot light on, I wish him the best. He's on a lonely stage right now. Good thing his family is solid.

• Solomon Levi Alpine, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 4:40 p.m.

UU32

What if Jabari commits to BYU, goes straight out on a mission, then returns to play on a BYU team stacked with a 2013 Top 10 recruiting class? That would be a very interesting turn of events.

The nice thing about it, for BYU fans, is that's a real possibility.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 5:09 p.m.

It's about time that we leave this young man alone so that he can make personal decisions that affect this eternal life without our "help." He is a human being, not a commodity.

• localblue Sandy, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 5:26 p.m.

If I were in his shoes, which I'm not, but if I were, I'd go to college first then decide. Frankly, if I had his skills I probably wouldn't go at all. I know this is rationalizing but a mission is first and foremost for the individual. You'll learn great things and grow a lot but it's not impossible to do these things without a mission. The second purpose is to teach and convert. That you can do very well, perhaps even better, as a star pro athlete. Shawn Bradley probably would have been a bust either way but imagine the difference he would have been had he been a star in the NBA for the church.

Just my two cents.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 6:04 p.m.

Two years of a mission would effectively cost this kid tens of millions of dollars and risk his career.

Jabari, I say go to Duke, go directly to Duke, do not pass Go and do not collect $200.

And there is no better coaching in the country than Mike Krzyzewski, Chris Collins, Steve Wojciechowski, and the rest!

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 6:07 p.m.

Owl, calm down. Nobody is harassing the poor kid from this board - can't speak for recruiters and agents, though. I can promise you Jabari is losing no sleep over the fact the the D News published another article about him.

• Hugus IDAHO FALLS, ID
    Oct. 9, 2012 6:24 p.m.

Jabari...

This is a no brainer. Think DUKE then proceed to the NBA as soon as possible. You'll do much more good for the church as an elite professional basketball player. You can do your missionary service after you retire just like many other faithful LDS. Best of luck.

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 9, 2012 6:41 p.m.

I also vote Duke for your NBA prep, then go to the NBA where you will be a greater missionary of the game and your faith.

• Jazzsmack Holladay, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 8:10 p.m.

DO NOT go to Duke.

How many true NBA stars have over the last two decades came from Duke?

TOO few.

Most Dukies do the slow fade, or never made it from the start.

and the few that made it have spent their careers coming off the bench.

Even the promising Chris Burgess never developed at Duke.

Dukes' succees is based getting a lot high rated recruits who find some succes at the college level, not in developing nba potential.

Do a mission, then do a couple years atlrast at BYU.

You will still make plenty of money to set you and your family for life. Fame is fleeting. Seeking the honors of men empty.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 8:13 p.m.

@panamadesnews

Eactly what I said yesterday. If he leaves on a mission, who (college) would think of his skill and fitness? No problem with BYU which we will be prepare for him to get back in form. After one year of college and he'll move on unless Dave Rose would say when it would be best for him to move on to nba

• bluecoug89 Highland, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 10:17 p.m.

Go on a mission! It'll change your life. A college and NBA career will do wonderful things for you, but in the end a mission will be better. These are just my thoughts, though. Ultimately, it's between you and the Lord.

• CoachRay Orem, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 3:36 a.m.

I well remember a star recruit asking me if he should go on a mission. He went. He was an all-american and is now in the pros.
    Jabari Parker will play in the NBA one day, but there is simply nothing like being on an LDS mission. It's life changing for so many people.
    I dont see the benefits that Steve Young has brought to his LDS church other than as a local servant for his ward.
    Whether he comes to BYU or not depends on whether or not he wants the BYU-cultural experience---it is unique and pretty cool, but its not for everyone

• Mugabe ACWORTH, GA
    Oct. 10, 2012 5:58 a.m.

The yooung man should listen to the Prophets voice. And the rest of us should just keep quiet on this subject. The change did not come in the form of Motions or pleadings, so, we don't need to analyze it. I think that if we say anything, it should be, follow the Prophets voice.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 7:59 a.m.

"Y ask Y" wrote at 6:04 p.m.: "It is always better to be a Blue Devil in the heart of Basketball country than to be a Saint in the middle of nowhere!"

I wonder if "Y ask Y" realizes he was mirroring Satan's words in Milton's "Paradise Lost"?

You know...

"Here we may reign secure; and in my choice
    To reign is worth ambition, though in hell:
    Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven."
    Paradise Lost. Book i. Line 261

I hope Jabari serves a mission and then attends the school of his choice. Then he will see through the silly advice given by "Y ask Y".

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Oct. 10, 2012 8:20 a.m.

So many of you, and I know you are LDS, have such a cavalier attitude toward the Church and its mission, it frankly disgusts me.

Every worthy young man should serve a mission. The benefits in this life and beyond from a mission cannot be obtained or replaced by fame and fortune.

I look at this as a blessing for Brother Parker. As the #1 talent in the land, there is no program that would not take him with a full scholarship. And if he were out of shape, he could red shirt. Leaving at 18 fulfills his desire to listen to a prophet's voice and only put off the $$ for a little while.

But ultimately the choice is between him and the Lord, and I support his agency to choose.

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 9:04 a.m.

I love how people say he would be a better missionary in the NBA for the church. And that's great I guess. But turn it around, think of the difference he could be in those individuals lives if he went on a mission. the Church can get publicity and they don't need a basketball star to get that. Our message is much more powerful than that. Jabari and any missionary can make a huge difference in the life of even just a couple people by serving a mission. That's being a missionary

• wstebar Atlanta, Fayetteville, GA
    Oct. 10, 2012 9:51 a.m.

Michigan State - the spring board for Magic Johnson - has another perk besides having a great basketball program. They are one of the few major universities outside of Utah that has an LDS student living center (2 apartment buildings) associated with the Institute program and LDSSA, plus an institute/chapel building and student ward building all situated together right across the street from the Michigan State Campus. It gives students the benefit of living in an apartment where LDS standards are upheld, attending a great student ward of fellow Aggies - all the while getting a top rate education from one of Michigan's finest universities.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 11:03 a.m.

Would be awesome if he served a mission then played at the Y for a couple of years before becoming the #1 pick in the draft.

• I-am-I South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 11:57 a.m.

@Jazz Smack:

If your reasoning is correct...which I have some serious doubts because I can think of several Duke players all stars/successful long lasting NBA careers, Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand, Grant Hill, Shane Battier, Loul Deng and the list goes on... but if you are indeed correct then your questionable theory says that Jabari Parker probably won't be very good in the NBA anyways simply because he is a Duke type player. You see the commonality would not be playing for Duke, but rather being a player that Duke would want (they could find success at Duke, but not the NBA)

Getting into the NBA is tough. Having a career of more than 7 years is incredibly tough. There is no doubt Duke would give him the most exposure and because of that probably the most opportunities to be successful in the NBA. Most of the kids that have as great of expectations as Jabari don't make it. If he's as good as they say he is, then go to a year of college go on the mission and it'll work out. If not 9 to 5 jobs aren't that bad.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 12:52 p.m.

@Panamadesnews

"The teams he is interested in, other than BYU, may not be interested if they have to wait 2 years..."

Obviously BYU, but Duke and Stanford have had LDS Basektball players before who have served missions. They fully understand what it can do, and I am in no way a Duke fan. But I have seen interviews in the past with Coach K on return missionaries, he understands it, and respects it. Does Jabari read DesNews and it's comments I don't know. But, if anyone would understand him and be a great coach at building him back up after two years, I believe Coach K would be the best fit. And Jabari if you read this, commit to serving a mission and doing the Lord's work fully with heart and mind, you can only be blessed for your service. And after this commitment is made, ask the Lord if this is the path he has for you. I may be off my rocker, but this is my two cents. Either way, I and many wish you the best of luck in your decision and career.