Utah Utes football: Utes to start 2 freshmen on the offensive line against USC

Comments

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 6:41 p.m.

"Vyncent Jones and junior Latu Heimuli are unavailable this week"?

Huh? Injuries or more 'Ute team rules' being broken?

True freshmen on the O-line does not bode well for Jon Hays or his replacement after USC sacks him a few times. This is going to be brutal.

This is not shaping up to be a good match-up at all... but we already knew that didn't we.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 9:26 p.m.

@sammyg

"but we already knew that didn't we."

Well most of us not wearing crimson tinted glasses know it. Believe it or not but there are actually utah "fans" that think utah is going to win this game.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 10:35 p.m.

Good luck to these two freshmen - baptism by fire going up against USC but also a great opportunity to prove yourself.

As for the typical coug "fans" posting on this and every other possible Utah article, you may want to focus your attention on the USU game this week. Bronco has named Riley as the starter so you should worry about how many times he will turn it over to the Aggies.

Go Utes!
    Go Aggies!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 8:02 a.m.

@Duckhunter"

Yeah, how dare fans expect their team to win? I'm guessing you were also laughing at Ute fans who thought that their school had a legitimate chance to win the Sugar Bowl....

What is hilarious is that if Ute fans had all collectively thrown in the towel on the season than you would be here spouting off about how fair-weather Ute fans are and blasting them for not supporting the team.

I'm not going to bet the farm on Utah winning, but I'm excited to watch my school and many of my friends compete against one of the best teams in the country. And, who knows, maybe Utah will pull it out and get its season back on track. There is a reason they play the game....

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 8:05 a.m.

@qwesty

Why do fans have "to focus" on anything other than the game once it starts? We aren't coaches so we don't have to game plan. We aren't players so we don't have to learn schemes and plays. We just get to watch whatever game happens to be on that day. On Thursday that will be the usc/utah game although I will probably only catch some of it as I have other committments, but I will try to watch as much of it as I can. On Friday I will be at LES and yes that game will have my, and the vast majority of the rest of the states, attention.

Tell us how the utah team meetings go when you, whittingham, and the rest of the team are done "focusing" on your game plan.

LOL!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 8:51 a.m.

Ducky

Good to know you have other "committments" besides worrying about a team you don't care about.

I will be at the game Thursday and will cheer until my throat gives. That's what fans do. I don't know about "fans" like yourself though. I'm sure when Riley throws his first pick six, you'll be one of first to hit the creamery.

Go Utes!

• Jordan Lynchburg, VA
    Oct. 2, 2012 9:34 a.m.

Good luck to these two! This is a great chance to prove yourself! Go Utes!

• sportsrealist salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 10:07 a.m.

when the y gets their behind handed to them on friday, somehow ugly duckling will magically be in tulsa that night and sammyg will definitely be with him.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 2, 2012 10:44 a.m.

The super bowl of Utah will be this Friday, as the two best teams will do battle.

Weber, Dixie, and Southern Utah round out the top five.

BYU 24
    USU 13

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 2, 2012 11:01 a.m.

ducksam,

every put down that comes on the heels of 24-21, 3 of 3 and 8 of 11 makes your post look all the more silly

Don't you have bigger things to worry about like beating Utah State who would have 2 straight wins against the Y had it not been for a lucky tipped pass TD last year

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 11:02 a.m.

Too bad the best of our O-line left last year, but that's the challenge of college. A question for the UTAH fans in here (not sure what the byu obsession is here, but it's getting a little weird): do you think our offensive line will improve and we'll keep some of these next year or will we have to start from scratch next year?

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 11:14 a.m.

Worf

You meant to say the two best teams in ugly blue right?

24-21, 54-10 and Blocked!

• ute4ever West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 3:16 p.m.

Duckhunter,

You must be a very important person to have other committments on a Thursday night. I think I speak for the rest of the Utah fans on these comment boards in saying I wiah I had a life like yours...full of committments.

Good thing you were able to clear your schedule Friday night to see Utah State. Well, I guess there isn't much to conflict with an 8:15 start time though, is there.

We are happy you come down from your high life every once in a while to set us all straight.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 9:05 p.m.

@ute4ever

It's not that I'm so important it is that I don't set my schedule around utah games. I do set my schedule around BYU games although sometimes I have things that interfere with those, such as my neices wedding in Las Vegas on the Saturday of the BYU/OSU game in a couple of weeks. But I should be done with my own stuff by halftime Thursday so I should be able to catch the second half, hopefully.

I am sorry that you don't have any other life though, that's a shame. But on the bright side it appears that like almost everyone else in the state you'll be paying full attention to LES Friday night.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 2, 2012 10:00 p.m.

utahcountyute,

Looking behind to the past is a sign of weakness. My comment refers to the present. 37-10?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 12:40 a.m.

LOL @ Duckhunter for trying to argue that BYU/USU is a bigger draw than Utah/USC

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 7:53 a.m.

worf

Why would you be on an article about the Utes taking on one of the most storied programs in history at RES, a member of the same conference and same division and bring up a game like USU vs byU? Now that's weak!

When is that game anyway? I'm pretty sure I have other "commitments".

• Utefan7 Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 10:53 a.m.

@ ducky and sammygirl
    You guys must be pretty worried that your cougs are gonna lose on Friday that you are trying to make yourselves feel good by posting on Ute articles that have nothing to do with you. I see you guys posting on every article posted about Utah football. If you can't beat them, whine about them, that will fix it.

• Utes 27 USC 21 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 10:56 a.m.

After we win, the sports writers will be crowning us South Champs with a 2 lead game over USC essentially due to the tie breaker

"University of Utah South Pac12 Champs"

Get used to it Y fans.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 11:25 a.m.

Utes 27 USC 21

^Troll

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 8:03 p.m.

@two for flinching

utes 27 usc 21 is your very own christina b.

Also the BYU/usu game is indisputably a vastly bigger draw in this state than the utah/usc game. BYU fans outnumber both usu and utah fans combined and in this instance the BYU/usu game will be drawing both fanbases. It isn't even close. LOL for you trying to argue that utah/usc is the bigger draw. I would say the 45000 at res compared to the 65000 at LES is proof enough.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 8:57 p.m.

cedarcityute, to answer your question, I think Poutasi and Jones will return as starters next year, but changing positions with Poutasi moving to the left tackle for the next three seasons and Jones moving from guard to center, his natural position, for his senior year. If Aiono continues to improve this year, he has a good shot at one of the guard spots.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2012 10:52 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Chris B is a troll:

As for being the bigger draw: Congrats for taking Utah (even though there will be plenty of BYU and USU fans that will tune in tomorrow evening), but nationally Utah/USC is by FAR the bigger game. I think you know that, so I'm not sure why you are even trying to dispute it...