Utes have been successful after bye weeks under Whittingham

Comments

• hedgelog Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 30, 2012 7:32 p.m.

Looking for a USC track meet. Trojans by 45! Write it down.

• AltaHawkFan Sandy, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 8:15 p.m.

Maybe ... they're 6-1 because of the pitiful competition they've played following a bye week. CSU twice, Wyoming twice and NM ? uh .. not exactly a murderer's row.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 8:43 p.m.

Based on their propensity to lose to teams like New Mexico and Wyoming, both teams whittingham has lost to, they probably needed the bye week and extra week of preparation just to get those wins.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 8:50 p.m.

This is an amazing article....telling us how Utah trashed the storied programs of CSU, Wyoming and New Mexico after a bye week. Now that's funny!!! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. That's the old MWC, formerly the WAC, not the PAC 12. They didn 't have the same luck against Washington, apparently. Too bad they didn't play San Diego State instead of UW, maybe they'd have won that game.

USC happened to have a bye week, too, if I'm correct.

I think the problem is their goofey black headgear...are they trying to give Oregon a run for its money in weird looking uniforms?

Go Trojans!!! Make your first conference game in SLC a historic one, like Colorado did last year.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 9:18 p.m.

I hope the Utes were able to figure a few things out with the extra time. Mainly the issues with the offensive line. The bye week came at a good time with the few injuries needing time to heal.

I'm not sure how much of a chance the Utes have against the talent level of the Trojans but I'm looking forward to see if they can keep it competitive. I do expect the defense to play much better than they did against ASU. I'm not sure why they played so bad but that was about the worst I've seen the D look in a long time.

I would love to see the Utes go with a fast pace no huddle and spread the ball around to our receivers and tight ends. Take advantage of the elevation difference.

No matter what happens, I expect the Utes to not quit and play hard. It's great to see a team like USC come to Rice Eccles.

Go Utes!

• Utahutesthroughandthrough Murray, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 9:39 p.m.

Wow before I even opened up the comments I said to myself watch the first couple of comments will be BYU fans trying to put the Utes down. And I was right..... Can't BYU fans live what they preach or is it too hard for them?

• I Still Can't Say It Holladay, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 9:53 p.m.

The Utes will most likely lose to the Trojans according to stats and conventional thinking. Yes, it's going to hurt to us true Ute fans.

But I'm looking forward to watching BYU go down to Utah State. The Cougars will lose. Mark it down!

Go Utes! Go Aggies!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 10:43 p.m.

"Utes have been successful after bye weeks under Whittingham"

Bringing this up now and comparing USC to these teams the Utes have beaten after a bye week is simply brilliant. Totally relevant.

I'm all in...

Hope and change, hope and change, yes we can, yes we can, I believe, I believe... LOL

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    Oct. 1, 2012 4:43 a.m.

"Before last season's 31-14 loss to Washington, they were 6-0 in such games — outscoring the opposition by a whopping 230-89 margin. Victories include two over both Colorado State and Wyoming, as well as single wins over Iowa State and New Mexico"

Think about that statement, is it relative? The teams, Washington-BYU's punching bag until they walked out of the series, CSU, Wyoming, New Mexico-- bottom 10 regulars 0-2 wins a year bad, Wyoming by playing the Big Sky, the the MAC bottom has managed a few more wins, Iowa State- ahh who knows, The Cyclones regularly fight Kansas to claim the B12 bottom. What this shows is you play a bad team after a bye.
    I saw in Tempe, a ASU team, new coach, freshman QB, very shaky, little confidence going up against a Swopes team w/o a QB, and a deflated opinion of themselves, the crushing win over BYU another FG-blocked home escape, and a wheels come off OT loss at USU. ASU was the worst loss by a Team from the state in years. I see a 36-12 home loss.this week. Not ready for primetime Swopes

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Oct. 1, 2012 7:23 a.m.

toosmartforyou- The Oregon uniforms ROCK.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 1, 2012 8:00 a.m.

Ah, all the BYU fans are out to take shots at the Utes. Always a classy move. The inferiority complex is strong. I guess when your team loses to Utah 3 years in a row, it's boutnd to happen.

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 8:42 a.m.

I remember a similar tune when we beat Alabama. Many bandwagon Utes fans 'admitting' we were going to get beat, BYU fans 'rooting' for alabama, then those few Utah fans that actually knew we were going to win. I see us coming out strong in this game and coming up with a couple early touchdowns, letting down our guard before half, and then playing close til the end. My prediction is 24-21. We played a very similar USC team last year at their home and came close. I think we can beat them this year, but we need to have our hearts in the game, it just hasn't been there this year. Let's do it Utes!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 1, 2012 9:01 a.m.

Maybe I'm not the typically BYU fan, but I cheer for the Utes against everybody except the Cougs and the Aggies. However, I'm also a realist. The Utes chance of beating the Trojans this year is only slightly better than me winning the lottery. I still see the Trojans playing the Ducks in the PAC12 Championship Game.

The PAC12 actually looks like a BCS conference this year. Any objective fan has to admit that the past 4 or 5 years were not so hot for the conference as a whole. There were a couple of good teams, and a bunch of teams ranked in the 50 - 100, about the same as the MWC used to be.

But this year is different. UCLA, AZ, ASU, Washington and Oregon St are all much improved over last year. Utah will have their hands full in every game except WSU and CO. Bowl eligibility will be tough to achieve.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 9:09 a.m.

@ Spokane Ute

So you think it's predictible that BYU fans would be all over Utah, huh? Gosh, why would that be? Maybe it's the Utes song and dance we see every year of "My favorite teams are Utah and whoever plays BYU." That has been true for years and in fact the Utes supporting USU have already appeared several times in these blogs. So for any Ute to call out BYU for telling Utah they have a crummy program (as observed this season and the game against Colorado last year) is nothing but rhetorical hypocrisy by Ute fans. And you'll never have the intelligence to accept the fact many, many BYU fans cheered for Utah to beat Alabama in New Orleans BCS bowl a few years ago, me being among them. Thanks to Ute partisans, that will not likely happen again from this fan. But then, I don't see Utah in the Rose Bowl----ever.

Go Trojans!
    Go Cougars!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 1, 2012 9:55 a.m.

@toosmartfor you

I seem top have hit a nerve but I'm telling it like it is. Don't assume what kind of fan I am; or who I pull for. If BYU is playing anyone but Utah or Utah St., I want them to win. Don't recall ever saying BYU has a crummy program either. As far as a Rose Bowl goes, ever is a long time Guy. I would say Utah has a better chance of going to a BCS bowl than BYU does; much better.. And yes, it's the same BYU fans saying the same negative comments over, and over again. I also love how you mention the Colorado game, but seem to have left out the Pitt, BYU, Oregon St, UCLA and Georgia Tech games. Now that's curious; but typical.

GO UTES!

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Oct. 1, 2012 9:57 a.m.

As an 'SC alumn and for all my Uttie friends, I've had this game circled for a while. Welcome to the Pac 12 and going 0-2 after bye weeks. I agree with Hedgie, this will be a track meet. Put on your skates Mo Lee, this could be a long night! Go, Trojans!!

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 10:08 a.m.

I hope the Utes have worked out the issues from last game and make a game of it. No predictions just want a good game leaving the predictions to the more intelligent commenters (chris b comes to mind) so mark it down as wanting a good game. Oh and for those that did not get the sarcasm about intelligent commenters that is what it was

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 1, 2012 10:09 a.m.

Utah has won like 9 of therre last 10 bowl games.
    Two BCS bowl wins in last 8 years
    Beat Rival 8 or 11 and 3 in a row.
    8-5 last year, and beat Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl.

But they are a crummy program becasue they werre upset at home by Colorado last year.

Now thats just funny, I don't care who you are.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 1, 2012 10:12 a.m.

@ So Cal Reader

How did that track meet thing work out at Stanford? I guess the only events were the shot put, and discuss. I wouldn't be puffing my chest out after that performance. I know this Utah fan won't after what happened to us in Tempe. Respect is earned and netiher team has done that this year.

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 11:23 a.m.

Weren't trojan fans so excited last year they rushed the field? Correct me if I'm wrong but the same team (that we only lost to by 3) is coming to our home, right? Oh yeah! Anyway, mark it down: 24-21, UTES. Do I see a rivalry starting between Utah and USC? Hope so. I would love to see something start there.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Oct. 1, 2012 12:27 p.m.

@ Spokane Ute: No doubt the Stanford loss was a significant disappointment, but you're also presuming I feel the athleticism of your Utties is up there with Stanford. Nope. Not close.

@ cedarcityute: 24-21, huh? I'm afraid not. Your offense is reeling. This will be a dominating performance by Barkley and his playmaker wideouts. We'll chat about the score on Friday.

You guys are playing w/ the big boys now, week in and week out. At season's end, SC will still be playing Oregon for the Pac 12 Championship ... mark it down.

• u mad bro? WVC, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 12:51 p.m.

cedarcityute,

you guys are blown out by an unranked team, and now you're predicting a win vs one of the best teams in the nation? hahaha

• Utes 27 USC 21 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 1:40 p.m.

USC: Meet the Muss. Just ask byu.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 1:54 p.m.

USC: Meet the Muss. Just ask BYU.

Hint: The MUSS is planning to rush the field BEFORE the game this time.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 1, 2012 2:01 p.m.

So Cal Reader

We played USC right to the wire last year. It was a great game. You are one of the few USC fans that I've talked to that doesn't respect the Utes. Congrats on that one Some how, I don't think we will see you on Firday, unless USC wins. I will be here either way; giving credit where credit is due; that's how I roll Guy!

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Oct. 1, 2012 2:01 p.m.

The Utes have been very talented for a few years now, but just like many of us in the PAC 12, we had some down years.
    The hard part about playing in this conference is that week in and week out we are up against tough teams.
    Certain other conferences around the country play a good or very good team, then play 2-3 cupcakes.
    I would love to have seen how Utah would have fared had they been in the PAC 12 the same year they beat 'Bama.
    That would have made for some great games no doubt.

Knowing coach Kyle's style and wisdom, I have no doubt that he'll have the Utes better prepared for a grueling conference in the near future.
    It just won't be this year.

It took ASU and UofA a few years to gear up to the weekly challenge of playing in a tough conference.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 3:06 p.m.

@spokane ute

"How did that track meet thing work out at Stanford?"

utah isn't stanford. Not even close.

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 3:33 p.m.

I will be here Friday as well, congratulating whomever wins, obviously I'm hoping it's Utah. If we hopefully win (I of course think we will and do think all real Utah fans need to show support) I'm sure the naysayers will all of a sudden disappear until before the next game. It happens. And SpokaneUte is right, most USC fans give credit to Utah. Those that don't seem to have amnesia about last year.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Oct. 1, 2012 3:36 p.m.

cedarcityute

You know the saying about history repeating itself.

2003 - BYU(4-8) visits #1 USC(12-1); with 7:00 left in the game, BYU only trailed 21-18.
    2004 - #1 USC(13-0) visits BYU(5-7); BYU played tough for 1 quarter, then lost 42-10.

Playing USC tough last year may have been the worst thing Utah could have done to give themselves a chance of upsetting the Trojans this year. Unfortunately for U, Utah will have USC's full attention this year.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 1, 2012 4:14 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Your'e right, Utah is probably better; but it's still pretty close. You may want to do a little research prior to chimming in next time.

San Jose State 17 - Stanford 20
    Washington 17 - Stanford 13

I watched the UW - Stanford game and Stanford's not that good. Sorry to burst your bubble.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 1, 2012 4:16 p.m.

@snack pac

Do you honestly think what happened to BYU 8 and 9 years ago vs. USC; has any relavence to Utah playing USC this year? Would you be intereted in buying some ocean front property here in Spokane?

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 9:42 p.m.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure how BYU stats are relevant to what Utah is doing, but ok? Anyway, excited to see our Utes play and see both teams do their best! If any of you Utah or USC fans aren't part of the pac 12 fb page yet, you should join. It's pretty cool. Lots of discussions about each team and for the most part it's pretty positive and fun to see all the fans get together.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 2, 2012 12:00 a.m.

It's interesting how every spring Utah fans beat their chests about every recruit that might be slightly better than a BYU recruit, as if stars next to a player's name proves anything, yet those same Utah fans try to pretend that Utah actually has a chance of beating the Trojans despite the vast difference in talent between the Trojans and the Utes.

Looking forward to lots of whiny excuses after the game about D-II QBs, freshmen starting on the O-line, and still wet behind the ears offensive coordinators.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 8:07 a.m.

@spokane ute

"Your'e right, Utah is probably better; but it's still pretty close."

LOL! I just blew milk right out of my nose.

LOL!