BYU getting ready to host Utah State

Comments

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 7:49 p.m.

So does jamaal get the start now then?

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Sept. 30, 2012 8:05 p.m.

Has Mendenhall lost his mind? He suggests Riley would be the starter because Mendenhall has more "history" with Riley? Absurd. Then he suggests it is not his decision whether Hill played well enough to be the starter? The buck does not stop at the head coach?

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 30, 2012 8:19 p.m.

Home sweet home. It will make all the difference. The players will be ready and the fan base will be ready. Go Cougars!

• gbo Draper, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 8:23 p.m.

Agree with the prior post. He's a Riley Nelson fan? What? He should be the head coach and leader of the team. He should be a fan of all his players. He should be a fan of winning. Because he has more history with Nelson that should make him the starter? Not the best player? Bronco has completely lost perspective. How do I feel if I'm Taysom Hill or any other QB and Bronco isn't MY fan? It is truly a ridiculous position to take.

• wYo8 Rock Springs, WY
    Sept. 30, 2012 8:24 p.m.

What about the history with rest of the senior players. 10 turnovers and 2 loses should be enough history.

• USU AGGIE FAN Logan, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2012 8:26 p.m.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 8:43 p.m.

Well, I'm looking forward to this game. It's been since 1978 (about time) that USU came to Provo with a legitimate threat to win. (That's why BYU over-looked them last year.) There have been some pretty good programs come to Lavell Edwards Stadium and go home empty. (Several PAC 12 schools come to mind and a defending national champion from the State of Florida, as well as an independent school from South Bend, Indiana. Of course those teams have been successful in Provo, too.)

So expect a decent game on Friday; I'm looking forward to it.......

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 30, 2012 9:29 p.m.

@USU AGGIE FAN

BYU's defense "best in the country according to BYU fans."

Umm, I don't think most BYU fans believe that. What is more accurate is BYU's defense "best that BYU has had in a long time." That is more accurate and most BYU fans (including myself) would agree with that. Look, it will be a good game against USU. USU has a good defense in there own right and a very good passing game.

@UteMiguel

I understand that Mendenhall says things that make people wonder, but I still like him as a coach. No fool would dare fire a coach that has led their team to 5 top 25 finishes in the past 6 seasons. There are a lot of big time (BCS) programs with good coaches who can't even boast what Mendenhall has done for BYU in the last 6 seasons and if they're keeping there jobs than I don't see a problem with Bronco keeping his. Once a consistent decline happens than it will be time to make a change. The guy could coach defense that's for sure.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 10:12 p.m.

Sounds like Bronco is actually laying the groundwork to play Hill at QB. He keeps saying Riley will play "if" he is ready. It will now be easy for Bronco to simply state, "Riley wasn't strong enough so we had to play Hill".

I still see Riley starting Friday, but not finishing.

• silveraspen South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 10:17 p.m.

I think the Aggies are hoping Bronco starts Riley, too. We'll see what happens.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 10:41 p.m.

USU AGGIE FAN

"It will be tough for the Aggies to score against BYU's defense (best in the country according to BYU fans)."

As Mark321 said, I don't think most BYU fans believe that. What is more accurate is BYU's defense is the best defense that BYU has had in a long time.

The numbers speak for themselves. After five games, including two PAC 12 opponents, and always tough Boise State on the road:

BYU is #5 in the nation in Total Defense, #4 in Scoring Defense, #11 in Passing Defense, #19 in Passing Efficiency Defense, #2 in Rushing Defense, #3 in 3rd Down Conversion Percentage Defense, and BYU has only given up THREE scores in the red zone all season, the fewest of any team in the country.

You don't rack up numbers like that simply because of weak competition.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 11:14 p.m.

@ BlueCoug

Yes you do.

Utah, Boise, and Wazzu are all weak on O, Weber is an FCS team and Hawaii might as well be an FCS team too. The next few weeks will really tell us what BYU's D is all about.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2012 11:41 p.m.

Two For Flinching

Who exactly has Utah State played?

The same "weak" Utah team that BYU played, only at home instead of on the road, a Wisconsin team that barely beat 1-4 UTEP, 1-4 Colorado St, 1-4 UNLV, and So. Utah?

Wisconsin, is 109th in passing, 98th in rushing, and 99th in scoring.

btw, Hawaii is only averaging one point less per game, than Utah.

Not exactly a plethora of offensive firepower there either.

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 1, 2012 12:32 a.m.

BYU has not faced a Chuckie led offense as of yet (too many weapons). The Y has faced a tough defense (Utah). The Y can't figure out who is qb. The Y can't figure out that the Aggies had the true blue first. The Y will win 8 games this year. Just not this one.
    I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN WINNERS (USU) LOOSERS (BYU) BY 9

• Ironhide Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 1:22 a.m.

I don't know when Bronco changed his belief from "best player plays" to "I have a history with...". Riley won't last any game with the offensive packages Doman has for him. He'll get hit a few times, and that will be it. Why even bother? Hill does just fine, he just needs to work more on chemistry with the receivers and the passing game. Really disappointed in Bronco being blinded by emotion and history. Do what's best for the team and gives them the best chance to win.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Oct. 1, 2012 6:09 a.m.

I think USU is a GREAT test for BYU and a very good team in their own right. Close losses to Wisconsin and Auburn in away games prove that. I wouldn't be surprised to see USU beat us at home given our uncertainty at QB. I expect great things from the Aggies with their current coach and program and hope to see them start beating some of these national powerhouse teams.

• peter Alpine, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 6:47 a.m.

Hill is the better QB and deserves the start, whether or not Riley is healthy. He's also a lot more fun to watch. I can't remember any head coach claiming to start someone simply because he's a fan of that player. Fans belong in the stand watching the game, not making decisions about who should start.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Oct. 1, 2012 6:54 a.m.

I've read the comment twice now that Utah State "surprised" BYU last season. I certainly hope not.

Two years ago, Utah State surprised us, handed it back to us on a platter, whupped up on us and generally embarrased us. Last year was no surprise. This year isn't either.

I think the Cougars will be ready. I'm hoping it is as good a game as advertised. It COULD be a laugher BYU's way, but if it IS a laugher, the recent odds of it ending well for the Cougars are not good.

Here's to defense! Rise and Shout!

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Oct. 1, 2012 7:46 a.m.

Here is my 2 cents as an Aggie Fan.

I hope Bronco starts Hill.

Still a lot of bitterness about Riley leaving U State.

I think Riley has a mental edge over U State and I think he has a lot more confidence playing us. I think Bronco knows this and wants to have him get it back.

That being said, I think the players want Riley to start, I think they want to say "hello".

This will be a test for U State offense, facing a very tough BYU D.

I think my Aggie are up to the challenge!

GO STATE!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 1, 2012 8:11 a.m.

As it should be. This game will be for the state championship as the two best teams will do battle.

Weber , Dixie, and Southern Utah round out the top five.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 8:16 a.m.

Worf, Utah beat BYU. Be, well, rational.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 8:40 a.m.

""The shuffling at offensive line produced a culture change that was strong and apparent to me," Mendenhall said."

A culture change?

Oh, that Bronco were 65 and I could look forward to his retirement...

LaVell never tried to be an Organizational Behavior Professor, though he got a doctorate.

LaVell never tried to be chief evangelist at BYU, though I hear he was a great Bishop in his actual calling as a Bishop. Edwards also went on an actual mission.

LaVell spoke comprehensibly, rather than long collections of words that are combined in a way to make them:
    A) incomprehensible
    B) a sentence so long you lose interest before he finishes
    C) A 100 word sentence that conveys a 5 word thought

It was refreshing back in the day to have a coach that actually HAD perspective, didn't just talk about it.

It was nice to have a coach who chose people based on performance, rather than fire a coach he didn't like who could perform and replace him with one he did like who couldn't.

Mostly, I liked an overachiever who was humble, as opposed to an underachiever who isn't.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 8:58 a.m.

@ Aggie84

I knowe all the USU fans are upset that BYU changed their shade of blue, but tell me....why/how does USU own a color? When did they buy the rights to the color and what did it cost? If another team had black would that prohibit Utah from having those new goofy Black helmets?

So the Y changed shades of blue---GET OVER IT!

Build a decent sized stadium and then you won't have to worry about a 2 - 1 series with the Y for revenue; just filling your stadium each week. UNLV, CSU, a weak Wisconsin and So Utah aren't exactly quality opponents and hasn't really proven much except that you can win at home. Congratulations, by-the-way, on finally selling out your small stadium for other than BYU or Utah (who won't play you any more).

I expect a good game on Friday. It wouldn't surprise me to see BYU win. If they do it might be by more than 3 points, too.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 9:23 a.m.

@worf

"This game will be for the state championship as the two best teams will do battle."

Only if the Aggies win. If BYU wins there will be a 3-way tie for state champion.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 1, 2012 9:27 a.m.

By all accounts it should be a good game.

Riley has proven that he is a quality QB when he is healthy, but he has proven that his mind is stronger than his body when trying to deliver blows to D linemen and LBs. He's played injured in most of his games.

Against, Utah and BSU, his self admitted 65% was dreadful. I resent him for taking the field in those games. He cost us wins in both of those games. Last year, against Tulsa, he was 90% and played poorly, except for the final drive - where his grit, determination and leadership pulled us through.

I know Riley will want to start against USU, but if he is less than 90%, he should sit for another week or two. If he does start, I hope Bronco and Doman give him a short leash. Two turnovers or two unprodictive drives, and he should be holding a clipboard and give Hill a shot. Even if Riley is 100%, I hope we use Hill on a lot more "wildcat" plays than we did early on. Try Riley at QB and Hill and RB for a little trickery!

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 9:39 a.m.

The OLines are starting to gel with T. Hill along with J. Williams and you want to put R. Nelson? That will mess up the layout. Sorry Bronco, you are crazy.

Nice to see this Rugby Paul Lasike in out football team this year. He seems to hold on the ball quite nicely and a hard hitter.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Oct. 1, 2012 10:30 a.m.

Bring on the Aggies! This game is going to be awesome. Both teams are playing good football. Chuckie Keeton is the real deal and the Cougs will have to play their best game of the year to beat them but I believe BYU learned from the Utah fiasco and the Cougars will be very prepared for the Aggies. Should be a great game!

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Oct. 1, 2012 1:17 p.m.

Best D in the country? Of course not. We're too slow. But BYU is pretty good at assignment football on D and they got a couple great athletes. I like BYU's D. Bronco always finds great linebackers. I wish he could get some secondary, though this year's secondary isn't so bad.

I really think players do what they're told. I wish Doman could spread the field a bit more. I didn't understand why they weren't working on their passing game the last half against Hawaii. I think BYU has established a decent run game, but the pass would be a great balance.

I wish Bronco didn't make those "fan" comments. It really does seem to say you have to be on his good side to play. Almost seems like play quality doesn't matter. I want to see Taysom throw. Its strategy to say Nelson will start. I think he's hurt.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 1, 2012 4:18 p.m.

Normally I wouldn't care who wins this game. But Duck Hunter, Sammy G and Snack Pack have made me feel otherwise. GO AGGIES!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 1, 2012 5:12 p.m.

Rational

Worf, Utah beat BYU.

Let's get this straight. BYU beat themselves, not the utes. Be honest about it. The best team doesn't always win.

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Oct. 2, 2012 1:33 a.m.

@toosmartforyou,

Those who chose to put their oly sports in a conference who plays in venues the size of HS gyms, shouldn't complain about venue size. That basketball arena those cougs have is pretty big though, maybe they should try filling it.

• TruBlueAggie25 Logan, UT
    Oct. 2, 2012 6:10 p.m.

@toosmartforyou
    you like attacking don't you. Honestly I have never met a real Aggie fan who cares what color BYU wears. The UTE helmets got national attention... By the way in a couple of weeks BYU is going to be in "goofy" black... I personally think its pretty cool. Ask Duke's basketball team if venue size has anything to do with skill... Their gym houses the same as the Spectrum in Logan... Venue size is irrelevant as far as skill goes... It has more to do with student body, (USU has 17000 students, BYU over 30000).

@worf

Sorry, but Utah beat BYU... If BYU wins by less than 10
    1. BYU
    1. USU
    1. Utah

3 way tie. Sorry
    If BYU beats up on USU... Then yes they can be number 1, Utah would still be number 3

If USU wins,
    1. USU
    2. Utah
    3. BYU

BYU comes out as 3rd best in state.

USU lost the game against Wisconsin, they gave up a punt return touchdown, and missed a field goal, but Im not about to claim that USU is better than Wisconsin... They beat us... Too bad...