Utah

Rep. Jim Matheson, Mia Love try to define each other in spirited debate

Comments

• David Centerville, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 10:15 p.m.

A vote for Matheson is a vote for Pelosi. That is the critical issue in this campaign. Matheson voted for Pelosi to be Speaker of the House every time, & Pelosi is an extremist far left liberal. How can Matheson say he represents Utah in congress but he votes for Pelosi, a person who Utahns definitely do not support?

Stop sending Matheson to DC where he supports left liberal ideologies through his votes for Pelosi. He is the ultimate opportunist as he votes conservative issues only to keep himself in power, but he doesn't really represent Utahns. Otherwise he wouldn't vote for the likes of Pelosi.

Mia will represent Utah very well.

• praxis Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 10:35 p.m.

Mia never answered the questions asked - she just kept side-stepping and saying, "My opponent, blah, blah, blah."

A question submitted via Facebook asked both candidates to just give a clear answer as to what they would do if elected. Mia didn't even answer THAT question. Jim Matheson even pointed out that the question asked for a clear answer and Mia DIDN'T give one!

This statement was made over 30 years ago - but accurately describes today's Republican party:

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
    -Barry Goldwater, five-term Republican Senator and 1964 Presidential Nominee
    US Senate speech, 16 September 1981

Governing demands COMPROMISE - something we just don't see anymore in Washington. It's all, "My way or NOTHING!" That lack of compromise is the REAL threat to our country.

• isrred South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 10:39 p.m.

"but he doesn't really represent Utahns"
    Well he represents ME and I am a Utahn. You live in Centerville so you don't even get to vote in this race, so who are you to tell me that Matheson doesn't represent me or my neighbors? You have your own Congressman to vote for.

• Ralph West Jordan Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 10:50 p.m.

To this point I had not made up my mind on the Matheson Love race! A thirty minute debate is hardly time to get a feel for a decision, but if I had to make my choice on tonights performance it would be Matheson hands down! All I heard from Love was the same old same old Republican lines, no substance and the unavoidable impression that she was pinning her hopes on rideing in on Romney's coat-tail. While Matheson got his share of same old same old in, he at times was able in my opinion to articulate more of his ideas, seemed more relaxed and professinal than did Love. Love seemed to be reciting memorized scripted lines, spent to much time laughing and sneering which detracted from her professionalism. Last but not least, kudos to kSL for providing the time and facilities for the debate, but another moderator might be considered for the next debate, tonights moderator was less than unbiased.

• Darrel Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 11:48 p.m.

I have a feeling these debates will be for Mia Love what Katie Couric's were for Sarah Palin.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 12:02 a.m.

I missed it but I didn't miss it.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 2:38 a.m.

"Every day what I do is put Utah first, above party, politics or personal ambition. I think we need someone who's looking for that type of approach instead of the partisan gridlock that exists in Washington," Matheson said.

And that is exactly how Matheson came across in this debate... like a seasoned veteran statesman with a solid track record.

"First and foremost, I'm a wife, a mother," Mia Love said.

And that is exactly how she came across... like she should be changing diapers rather than pretending she knows what is going on in Washington.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 5:24 a.m.

Let's separate the wheat from the chaff. Indeed. Jim Matheson doesn't represent what most Utahns want, a government that doesn't spend money and create programs that have nothing to do with creating responsible, law abiding citizens that value the constitution, honor God, and believe in their own abilities. Government, and Jim Matheson, want dependency and control, neither of which working, honest, and law abiding utahns want. He is an incumbent! Incumbents only want to get re-elected and chase after the honors of men. Jim Matheson's brand of balance in washington is to go along with the madness and tell everyone that it's ok. It is way past time for him to go!

• peter Alpine, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 6:12 a.m.

It's obvious who Dennis Romboy is for. JM is for continued big government spending and the nanny state, which will only bring inflation, continued job stagnation and economic collapse. Mia wants to stop federal student loans, not student loans all together. The feds policies have hurt the job market for graduates seeking jobs. Nothing has improved economically over the past four years. Why do you want the same people back in Washington that helped create this fiscal mess? The same people will produce the same results. We need to restore government to the States and the people, not the wreckless and corrupt feds!

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 6:21 a.m.

The ONLY opinions that matter are those of people who live within the 4th District and CAN vote for either Love or Matheson.

I think the negative ads trashing Love or Matheson should stop. A vote for Matheson is NOT a vote for Nancy Pelosi and I get irritated whenever that particular ad appears just as I get irritated with the ads that defame Love.

The ugly ads by the super PACs are reasons to ban all super PACs whether they are paid for by Unions, BIG business, or the national parties.

• David Centerville, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 6:27 a.m.

isrred: you are correct, I don't get to vote. But Matheson still casts his vote in Congress, and it is recorded. One vote is the same regardless of which district he represents. When he votes for Pelosi is does affect me, though I am not able to vote for Matheson.

I disagree with your assertion that I cannot voice my opinion on this comment page. In my opinion, Matheson does not represent Utah because Utah values are not Pelosi's values. Matheson votes for Pelosi and would vote for any other far left extremist liberal who happened to be Speaker of the House.

Though I cannot vote for Matheson, I hope that those who can will see that we need someone (whether it is a Republican or Democrat) who will truly represent Utah. You say he represents you. You must not have a problem with Pelosi. But you are a minority in the state. I am challenging a majority of voters who disagree with Pelosi to vote for Mia Love. She won't cast her vote for Pelosi, and she will better represent Utah.

• FatherOfFour WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 6:27 a.m.

I'm looking forward to voting for Matheson soon.

• smity Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 6:34 a.m.

Matheson voted for Heath Shuler a southern Blue Dog for speaker, David. That's the problem with the right. Frequently wrong, but never in doubt.

• aunt lucy Looneyville, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 7:09 a.m.

Similar to the presidency race, we can either have a lifetime politician who has had years in the public eye to refine his skills or take someone new with less polish. If I were happy with the present situation I would go with the more polished, but I'm not. Matheson's record isn't nearly so polished as his words. I'm voting for Mia with hope for real change in Washington.

• swetgras South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 7:18 a.m.

Pretty funny some of your comments. I complain that he doesn't support the Democratic party platform enough. In fact, because he has to cater to you Teapartiers in the state he has to vere off course just to remain elected. You guys complain he supports the extremes of our party. Boy you don't see anything.

The fact is that the republican extremists have gerrymandered this state so many times to get Jim out of office that it is nearly impossible to have a moderate like Jim elected. I voted for Matheson the first year I moved into South Jordan years ago. Now look, I get to vote for him again.

David from Centerville, you have every right to feel as you do. However, many folks don't believe the way you do and they have a right to representation in congress from this state too.

As for Mrs. Love, she gets lost when she goes off script or away from 6 sound bites.

• Mugabe ACWORTH, GA
    Sept. 28, 2012 7:23 a.m.

David, can you define what "Utah values are?" I keep hearing people talk about "our values," as if though Utah values are unique from any other state in the union. There are family oriented, God fearing, loving, kind people all over the world. In fact, in some third world countries, the moral values far exceed our own. I will be the most happiest person in the world when this election is over. Because if the truth be told, this isn't a presidential race, this is a contest between a Moslem and a Mormon, a "Black Man," and a European. It is sad that we are still stuck in this mental state. May God bless us.

• Stephen Kent Ehat Lindon, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 7:35 a.m.

Mr. Romboy paraphrases Mr. Matheson: "Matheson said he has always opposed the health care act but voted against the repeal last year so the Supreme Court could review the law."

Two points. One: "Always" is one of those interesting words. First, it's supposed to mean what it says. In other words, he must have never voted in favor of the Affordable Care Act. Is that true? If not, he has fibbed to the voters.

And in any event, Two: Everyone who went to elementary school in the United States or who studied the Constitution to become a citizen of the United States, knows full well that the following conversation did not take place anywhere within the walls of the Supreme Court of the United States:

JUSTICE: "Are we able now to review the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act?"

LAW CLERK: "No. We first need to go down the road and around the corner and ask Jim Matheson, a Member of Congress. If we don't get his go-ahead to do so, we can't do it."

JUSTICE: "Oh, okay. I'm sure glad I hired you. Now remind me. What law school did you go to?"

• vdubbin' Ogden, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 8:07 a.m.

A vote for Matheson is indeed a vote for Pelosi, whether that irritates people or not. What I find most disturbing about this race is that is lays bare the fact that the Utah I grew up loving is changing dramatically for the worse, and I can only imaging it's due to the fact that people move here from CA where crime, drugs, and other basic affronts to polite society have rendered the area unlivable, so they come here to start the process all over again. It's a tragedy. Utah will, eventually, look like some version of LA county. I suppose anyone who enjoys what values once reigned here needs to save up and move to Beaver. We can start again...

• praxis Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 8:08 a.m.

Mia never answered the questions asked - she just kept side-stepping and said, "My opponent, blah, blah" - Never a real answer.

A question submitted via Facebook asked both candidates to just give a clear answer as to what they would do if elected. Mia didn't even answer THAT question. Jim Matheson even pointed out that the question asked for a clear answer, Mia DIDN'T give one!

This statement was made over 30 years ago, but accurately describes today's Republican party:

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible (darn) problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them."
    -Barry Goldwater, five-term Republican Senator and 1964 Presidential Nominee
    US Senate speech, 16-September-1981

Lack of compromise is the REAL threat to our country.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 8:26 a.m.

In the early 1980s, I worked with a woman in the Air Force that immigrated from Haiti.

People who question why Mia Love's parents came to the United States of America and what that did for her, should stop even questioning those motives.

Does anyone remember the dictator in Haiti at the time? Jean-Claude Duvalier, nicknamed "Bébé Doc" or "Baby Doc" after his father Papa Doc who died in 1971 and Baby Doc took over at 19 years of age.

During his 15 years though thousands of Haitians were killed and tortured, hundreds of thousands fled the country such as Mia Love's parents. He maintained a notoriously lavish lifestyle and made millions from involvement in the drug trade and from selling body parts from dead Haitians while poverty among his people remained the most widespread for any country in the Americas.

Mia Love's parents had the foresight to come to the United States of America for a dream of REAL hope and change, not cosmetic. The United States is a land of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. We have principles not just politics to run our government of law and order.

• Reid Mortensen East Alton, IL
    Sept. 28, 2012 8:28 a.m.

Issred, I feel your pain but the problem is individual congressional reps not in our voting districts are elected to powerful positions in the House that wield enormous power and control over the nation. Consider all the regulations that inhibit economic growth, the health care debate, the financial, housing and banking markets that many times are passed by the slimmest of margins. Would we have had the housing crash without Barney Frank? Would we have the healthcare mess without Pelosi? Do Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi represent your values? Witness Illinois, the only state in the union that does not allow the right to carry a gun. That issue is blocked by one man, Michael Madigan, speaker of the Illinois House who refuses to bring it to a vote in a house controlled by democrats. My local rep, Dan Beiser, claims to be a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment, consistently has voted to return Madigan to power. A vote for Madigan is a vote against the legal right to keep and bear arms. I find Mia Love refreshing and think she deserves a chance to represent Utah's 4th district

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 8:35 a.m.

I can't believe that a person from Provo, Utah would support the thoughts that mothers are not made to go to Washington, D.C. However, I worked for a man from Utah county that believed that way and that women should not earn a salary that is commensurate with their knowledge, skill and abilities.

That is a shame for a county that is highly intelligent in somethings but what a shame that is the way people down there think and behave.

I guess it is similar to one-hundred years ago when women had to push for the right to vote. Utah county just hasn't accepted that aspect.

Women do have a role in life and they do it exceptionally well, in whatever their endeavors are. They are partners in marriage and devote so much of their time and talents to the furthering of the plan of happiness for their family and for mankind.

I am grateful for my wife and mother of our 7 children and grandmother of our 20 grandchildren. She followed me for over 20-years in the military and gave birth in Germany and 3 times in the Philippines, plus Mississippi, Washington, Utah.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 8:45 a.m.

I have lived in countries that may have that Utah county sentiment, that women may be less than their husband and that is not what America is for.

My wife comes from a family of educators and believing in education. Her grandparents all were college graduates and worked to ensure their children and grandchildren got that opportunity. Even then it cost money, time and energy to get the education that they wanted. Her grandparents even went to other states to get a Ph.D. to gain the desire and interests.

I support my wife in her many endeavors for our family. She sweated and was in countries that didn't have clean water, electricity, and comforts like we are used to. That meant our children had some of the same ailments that others in those countries had. My wife even got hepatitis and dealt with our children's pin worms on more than one occasion.

Women are stalwarts and deserve recognition to have a better life. My wife has 2 Masters' degrees to teach and educate children, one while going through chemo therapy for breast cancer and got a 4.0 average while her Illinois university classmates prayed for her.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 8:57 a.m.

jwb
    why do you feel that others are interested in your family and their accomplishments? ....... I am still wondering what a 4 point average has to do with this article. please educate me.

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 9:10 a.m.

I am VERY glad that I have a chance ( at last ) to vote for Jim Matheson - THE moderate voice from Utah.

I will also be glad when he votes for Nancy Pelosi to become Speaker of the House. Nancy Pelosi is an outstanding example of a compassionate person ( who happens to be a practicing Catholic - the same church that Paul Ryan attends).

• GZE SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 10:17 a.m.

I have lived in Jim Matheson's district since he first went to Congress. There were many times I disagreed with his positions; but for the most part, I was glad to have his slightly more moderate voice in Washington.

Now, unfortunately, I am "represented" by Jason Chaffetz, who could not care less about voters like me. I realize there is nothing I can about that. I encourage the voters of the 4th District to vote for Jim Matheson so that there is someone in Congress from Utah to represent me - even though I don't live in his very interestingly shaped district.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 10:26 a.m.

Women of all ages have given plenty and Mia Love and her parents want to serve the United States of America. Women accomplish much and the attacks on Mia Love are not just on Mia Love but all women who give service of all types to this nation. I guess it is not just people in Utah County that put women in their place as less than their partner. I thought we got rid of machismo years ago but I guess it is still in Utah, from the legislature on down.

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 10:56 a.m.

I thought the comments by jwb about his family and the 4.0 GPA added credibility and support his postings about the accomplishments of well educated, qualified women.

I had planned to vote for Olene Walker but she was not supported by the power structure in the convention.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 12:47 p.m.

Allen#2, sorry to burst your bubble that you live in, but a vote for Matheson is a vote for Pelosi to continue her reign of terror and get our country deeper into debt and Congress ratings less than 10%.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 12:51 p.m.

JWB -nobody's questioning why her parents came here, they are questioning the different versions she has told.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 1:02 p.m.

To Flashback 12:47 p.m. Sept. 28, 2012

-------------------

Sorry to burst YOUR bubble you live in, but a vote for Mia Love is a vote for Boehner to continue his reign of terror to devalue women, lessen or eliminate their civil rights and atheir right to make their own decisions for themselves, and in the process enhance the uber-wealthy to the detriment of everyone else and reduce Congress ratings to be even less than they are now.

• Hunt Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 3:17 p.m.

@Furry1993

Wow, if that rant doesn't take the cake when it comes to simple regurgitation of Liberal Talking points.

-------

As far as the "a vote for Matheson is a vote for Pelosi" line, it is misleading in the fact that the Democrats are going to remain a minority in the House after this election cycle and therefore Pelosi has little power in her minority position. that argument doesn't hold alot of water with me.

It is disheartening to see so many using so simplistic and therefore completely unrealistic arguments for one side or the other.

One question that should be asked is why Matheson is running in a district he doesn't live in? And has never represented before. The only answer I can come up with is political expediency. He is more concerned about getting back to congress then he is in representing any one district. That alone should give you pause.

• Johnstone54 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 4:42 p.m.

Matheson is a good man, but his party has been taken over by extremists who want a bigger and bigger, more controlling central government that is contrary to the principles this country was founded on. The Democrat party of Obama would be unrecognizable to John Kennedy democrats and is even barely recognizable to the Bill Clinton of 94 to 2000, who governed with a Republican House and Senate. Barack's policies are having a devastating impact on the USA economy with no relief in sight.

We need to send as strong a message to Washington as possible that the Barack Obama Democrat extremist party is not acceptable, and we need to recruit people from all races and walks of life to engage in this fight. It is time for Matheson to step aside and to let Mia carry this fight for individual liberty and freedom forward.

• peter Alpine, UT
    Sept. 29, 2012 4:43 p.m.

Praxis, tell me how you would compromise the principles of the constitution and maintain America the free governed by "We the People."

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2012 6:56 a.m.

Re: Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    "Sorry to burst YOUR bubble you live in ...."

Have you seen the results of the latest polls? Jim Matheson's mud slinging commercials have come home to bite him. My condolences to Nancy Pelosi. You're going to have to look elsewhere in your quest to regain your power.