Dick Harmon: Benching Riley Nelson for freshman QB Taysom Hill too little, too late

Comments

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 10:57 p.m.

I tried to find the article printed prior to the Utah game about the Making of another BYU quarterback legend. I was also reminded of a comment on the BYU fan site where someone said if Reily stayed healthy this year he should be considered for the Heisman trophy. (To another's credit he simply said he hoped a Utah fan did not see the first comment.)

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Sept. 20, 2012 10:58 p.m.

Painful game to watch and a very poor decision to go for two, even a high school coach would have known to go for the tie and try to win it in overtime.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:05 p.m.

On the bright side of this loss, Taysom Hill has shown he's the threat the Cougars need at quarterback. Had BYU won the game, Hill would have been the toast of the town in Provo.

Now the BYU faithful will have to wonder what might have been had Hill been put into the game sooner.

• oldtimeftballer Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:11 p.m.

I am suprised Lark is still with the team. After the hose job he has received, I would give them my helmet tomorrow morning.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:20 p.m.

I agree about Lark. This coaching staff has the offense in disaray. Lark is the type QB who was needed on the field.

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:29 p.m.

Looks like Nelson should have stayed an Aggie, they need a backup right now. When the Aggies whoop up on the Y, Nelson will at least be able to remember last year.

• Glad to be Retired Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:44 p.m.

I do not understand the logic of "going for TWO"

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:57 p.m.

I understand the logic in going for two on the road late in the game. But in this particular game, when BYU's defense is pitching a shutout, Boise State's kicker is worse than BYU's kicker, and BYU is out of timeouts, why not go to overtime and take all your momentum with you.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:01 a.m.

Sorry, Dick. You're wrong. I believe the true "water cooler debate for all time in Cougarville" will be why Bronco went for 2 points instead of tieing the game and putting it into OT. I know I'll never see it, but I can at least ask to finally see any article whatsoever in this paper that would be even remotely critical of any Bronco does. As a Cougs fan, and yes, I like my Cougs, I'm embarrased by this 2nd poor showing in-a-row. This team is not ready to play key games and have beyond more execution on the offensive side of the ball-- that's coaching. Is the drum beating yet for Doman? My word.

• La Furia Roja FARMINGTON, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:23 a.m.

Let's all remember that when BYU took the field BSU was 75-3 at home since becoming a member of the FBS. SEVENTY FIVE and THREE!!! Uh, yea, if you have a chance to win there late in the game, you go for it; OT is out of the question. BSU did the same thing against Oklahoma for the same reason (that a win was considered unlikely) and it paid off big time.
    Love me some of that Defense though!!! The best collective Y defense I've ever seen. It's time to put Hill in for QB, dude's a better downhill runner than Nelson and has those shifty hips that remind me of Harvey Unga. Lark's a better passer than both of them, but he's a senior, we have to build for the future.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:45 a.m.

James Lark was the QB BYU recruited out of high school. Nelson came into the picture after the disarray at USU and he desire to transfer. He played admirably last year. Whether it's the injury, the O line's continued poor performance (first three downs tonight were "Open House" invites for the BSU defense), unacceptable number of turnovers, questionable play calling, my heart goes out to Lark. He has been a true blue trooper his entire career. To be treated this way is just wrong.

And yes, Harmon is correct, "The offense looked like somebody should lose their job", or jobs.

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:55 a.m.

Riley Nelson is a great competitor and has plenty of heart, But my wife can throw a football with more zip and accuracy than he can. Seriously, she can. Riley cannot throw the ball more than 15yds downfield without it turning into a wounded duck. He makes terrible decisions and is a fumble/int waiting to happen. Doman shows in his playcalling that he is aware of this, every route is under 15yds, unless we get into a 3rd and long. We will not beat any decent defense or coaching staff as long as we run this pathetic offense.

Taysom Hill has been recognized since springball as being faster, stronger, and smarter than Riley. Not to mention has a vastly better passing arm and upside. And he's a freshman! There is no reason Riley should start another game for BYU. Taysom is already a better Qb. He almost single-handedly won the game for BYU if it weren't for a terrible 2pt conversion call. He carried 4 BSU defenders into the endzone! Seriously, its time to make some changes. We lose way too many winnable games.

• Amorphous Saint George, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 1:40 a.m.

I am happy for James Lark that he found his bride and is getting his education. However, what a waste of talent to have the best passer of the bunch, while your receivers tower over the opposing DB's, sitting on the bench. Certainly, Taysom Hill is a tremendous athlete and will have a bright future but he has not put in the years and worked with these teammates for as long as James. None of the QB's have, including Coach Max, who James preceded at the Y.
    Maybe the only mistake he really made was NOT signing somewhere else first. It seems to get you more PT than loyalty does.
    Pathetic!

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 1:58 a.m.

Just when I thought I could not get anymore satisfaction from watching BYU lose, they pull Nelson for an even more limited qb. Taysom Hill is a strong safety playing qb and gaurantees the Y another 4 losses.
    Right now BYU could not beat Oregon State, Utah State, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech and would be an underdog at San Jose State. Watchout BYU, your november schedule of patsies looks like stiff compitition now. Maybe Westminster has some room on their schedule.

• Archer Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 4:40 a.m.

All you 20-20 hindsighters are ridiculous. Going for two makes perfect sense and it was a great decision. Did it work? No. That how you all can act like you knew better. On the road against a good team is precisely when you need to snatch those opportunities. Great courage by Bronco to make that decision. Why take your "momentum" into overtime if you already had momentum going into the 2-point conversion? It was a great call and all the criticism amounts to cowardly cheap shots at the coach. Go Cougs! Excited about Hill!

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 21, 2012 5:21 a.m.

This article took some guts to write...something neither Mendenhall nor Doman have shown since sacking Heaps. Nelson was not a college level quarterback before being injured and has been an embarrassment to the program the last two weeks. Seriously, 19 yards passing with 4 turnovers? Let Nelson join Hall as student assistant and let's get on to proving that Doman is in over his head.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 6:12 a.m.

Logic wasn't involved in that decision. That was pure ineptitude and arrogance.
    Hats off to the defense. That was a stellar game. The offense should be completely revamped starting with the offensive coordinator. If I were Hoffman or Apo, I'd be looking to transfer!

• Allen#2 WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 6:22 a.m.

Aggie: BYU will beat Utah State - Again. Where is Merlin Olsen when we need him?

Sad for Utah State that Riley Nelson won't be the BYU quarterback and give Utah State a chance to win.

• SCCougar LEXINGTON, SC
    Sept. 21, 2012 6:49 a.m.

I know that you are not supposed to let the other team score...but, follow me here. When BSU got the ball back after the failed 2 point conversion and got their first 1st down and it was apparent that they could just run the clock out from there, why not let them score? You would then get the ball back with around 2 minutes to go. You at least give yourself a chance to tie the game (have to score a touchdown and 2 point conversion). I would rather do that and take my chances than watch the other team simply run out the clock.
    Any thoughts?

• BacanaUte Holladay, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:06 a.m.

Don't understand at all why you replace a QB who can't throw with another QB who can't throw. Hill missed open receivers all night. Obviously I'm not a BYU fan, but how in the world is this BYU team not utilizing possibly their two best players on Offense in Hoffman and Apo. It is mind boggling to me. Poor coaching on BYU's part if you ask me. Bronco made a mistake allowing Riley Nelson to play if he is hurt and made a big mistake going for two when he should have tied and played for overtime. With 2 losses BYU already knows where they will be playing in December so they may as well stick with the Freshman if they think he is the future.

• Marine1 Apollo Beach, FL
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:14 a.m.

La Furia Roja, I love BYU football and will continue to be upset every time I see a play that does not go our way. However, I disagree completely. If you have a defense that has not allowed a Boise State Offense to move the ball more than a few yards the entire second half. How could you not allow them to have a chance to be the hero's and stop Boise one more time. Our new improved quarterback was making much wiser decisions than our experienced quarterback and very likely would have gotten in the endzone again. However, even if he didn't and even if we had lost, at least you put it in the hands of the best performers that night the Defense and allow them the chance for victory.

• PGVikingDad Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:20 a.m.

Taysom Hill is a man among boys, and he gives BYU the best opportunity to win. This has been apparent since he was a senior in high school, so the decision to pull Nelson was loooong overdue. But the real head-scratcher is why Ziggy Ansah didn't get more minutes much earlier in his career? He has been a terror in practice for two years now, and yet he has only recently been given the field time he deserves.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:23 a.m.

It's telling to note that neither in Harmon's article, nor in any of the comments listed here--is credit ever given to BSU for having played a better game. BYU's defense was very good and may have "put on a show for the ages," but BSU's defense was every bit as good, if not better. It's tough to man up and credit a superior opponent when you have been beaten in close games over the last two weeks by two of them--but it's in times like these that true character is revealed. I know my Utes will face real tests over the next few weeks. If we fail at ASU, at home against mighty USC or wherever, I hope I can remember to not call for my coaches firing, or fail to give credit where credit is due.

• Marine1 Apollo Beach, FL
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:28 a.m.

Archer you are wrong. I don't know if you saw a different game than I did, but to call Boise State a good offense that night would be stupidity. And your defense has been more than dominating them. Give the defense the accolades and let them stop Boise one more time. I for one wanted to throw my remote at the TV when I saw BYU line up for the 2 pt conversion. But instead I watched in agony as their Defense (only legitimate part of Boise's team that night) was given the glory.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:32 a.m.

This is what we get for hiring an OC with no experience whatsoever running an offense. Doman is responsible for prepping the QB's and now for the second year in a row, his starter has tanked after 3 games.

• Ohio BYU Fan New Albany, OH
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:34 a.m.

Riley is a good guy and a hardworker. No doubt about that. But moxy and toughness can only get you so far.

BYU and Coach Mendenhall created this problem last year when they benched Heaps in favor of Nelson. I said at the time that BYU won the battle (BYU won the Utah St. game) but lost the war (Nelson is not a long-term solution). There was no doubt that Heaps was struggling and something needed to change. But I believe that Heaps would have improved simply because of the schedule. The end of the year schedule hid how poor of a QB Riley really is.

Let's also not forgot how bad the O line has played this year and how the offense has not gotten on track under the helm of Doman. Serious questions and analysis needs to take place and someone may need to lose their job. Example, Jaime Hill after the USU game.

If Nelson starts against Hawaii next week he will look good simply because of how poor Hawaii is.

The season is over with 2 losses (meaning NO BCS) we need to move to next year!

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:39 a.m.

Dear Riley,
    Thank you for transferring to BYU.
    Love,
    Utah State

• jazzhater Humble, TX
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:45 a.m.

ESPN announcer Palmer summed up my frustrations: BYU has Hoffman, Apo, and a lot of other weapons at TE. But they can't get them the ball. Anyone who thought Riley was a legit QB...wow. He has finally been exposed over the past 2 games. So they now have Hill at QB with Doman still at the OC - both can't/dont know how to get the ball to the weapons. Doesn't look good.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 7:46 a.m.

gonefishin,

You will eat those words. Taysom Hill is the present and future of BYU football. He is 6 2, weighs 210 (and just returned from a mission) and runs around a 4.5. He has a canon for an arm and is extremely bright. I wouldn't be crowing to much until Utah proves they have any offense on Saturday.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:19 a.m.

-4.49 QB efficiency. Enough said.

• Idaho.Aggie Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:40 a.m.

The biggest mistake here was Coach Mendenhall promoting Coach Doman to OC last year. Why hire a rookie OC when you potentially have one of the best QBs in the country with Jake Heaps. Doman was over his head from day one. Now that QB is gone. Riley is benched. The real 2nd string (Lark) was not played - putting Hill in was like putting another Riley Nelson.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 8:56 a.m.

Riley/Hill reminds me of Riley/Heaps

Riley struggles and they throw Heaps in too soon. He does ok for a while but is too young and loses confidence. They they go right back to Riley.

They are going to do the same thing with Hill... just wait.

• cork Murray, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:15 a.m.

Someone should lose his job? YOU BET. Will they? Not in this church.

All of our comments will be dismissed by BYU officials as coming from armchair QB's, guys just upset with a loss. "Heck, they'll get over it. We've seen this before, yes? Ain't no big thing. WE still have our jobs and nobody is holding our feet to the fire."

Such poor decision making should be followed by consequences, but never are down there.

• cork Murray, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:25 a.m.

Does anyone besides me wonder why it is that we see report after glowing report of the Y signing the world's greatest QB's only to yet again be involved in "gut-wrenching" decisions as to which one will play? If these guys are half as good as we are told they are, PLAY THE ONE THAT CAN WIN!!!!! Bronco, this is not rocket science, nor is it a game of who's my best friend that didn't get recruited, that had to make it on his own, like me, so MUST be the right guy.

If you want to coach defense - fine. Just tell Holmoe to start looking for a real HEAD coach.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 9:25 a.m.

I love Riley. I think he's great. BUT, he should have taken himself out of the game before the coaches did.

The two-point conversion was nothing but bad judgement all the way around.

What was Bronco thinking?

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 10:03 a.m.

Sad - all I said was if our offense scored more points for us than for Boise we could win this. Turns out I was right - but Nelson had such a sad showing that he actually managed to score more points for the other team. I realize he is a tough guy, but the coaches need to show their maturity and BENCH players when they are HURT. It is offensive to me that they would let him play, risk further injury, and perform poorly enough to lose this game despite the incredible efforts of the other players on the team. And if I am Lark or Hill, I'm offended that the coaches think an injured Nelson could out-perform me, when that is so clearly not the case. Shame on the coaching staff and their stubbornness.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 10:17 a.m.

I like Riley Nelson and he has many great qualities. Is he a great QB? No but he never was. He had one thing Heaps never had and that was the respect of his teammates. With two losses and a hurt QB everyone is jumping ship.

The biggest problem with BYU fans is they never take a realistic look at the talent on their team. I mentioned several times too many of them this off season, where is the Y improved over last season? The answer was nowhere. Expectations should have been the same as a year ago. But they were talking undefeated and NC.

With that said there are some good players on the team. I would take Hoffman and Van Noy any day. The D line is also solid. The secondary is average at best. The O line is poor and got worse with the loss of Reynolds. The running game is poor. There is some hope at tight end and maybe Apo will come around. It is what it is.

• Cougarsfan777 ,
    Sept. 21, 2012 10:17 a.m.

Why did Lark get demoted to third string again? Does anybody on the BYU coaching staff have a brain? Lark could be one of the top quarterbacks in the nation, but he is never even given a chance. In fact I think James Lark could go to the NFL combine after this season and get drafted if he chooses to do so. No NFL team would look at Riley Nelson, and Hill is just a wildcat type of quarterback. It's a joke that the coaches at BYU have continued to disrespect Lark and not reward his loyalty and hard work. Shame on Coach Mendenhall and Coach Doman.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Sept. 21, 2012 10:30 a.m.

SC Coog: theoretically your strategy is sound . . if Boise would've been dumb enough to fall for it. They weren't trying to score on their final drive, they were trying to run clock. If all of a sudden they saw our D part like the red sea and invite them to run into the end zone, I have to believe any well-coached player would be smart enough to go down.

Going for 2 was, stragetically, the wrong decision. Looking at it logically and dispassionatly, without the "Look at me! I'm a riverboat gambler!" bravado, Bronco didn't play the percentages. And yes, I would've been giddy if it would've worked, but even if it did it wasn't the choice more likely to result in a win. Given the clock and timout situations, Bronco had to take into account that if the attempt failed, the game was over. Given the way both teams were playing in the 4th quarter, you have to like the Y's chance in OT. But, we'll never know. Bronco went with his gut, and he lost. Oh, well.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 21, 2012 10:48 a.m.

I hate to bring it up, but wouldn't it be nice if Jake Heaps had not transferred. Riley's style of play just doesn't seem to work with BYU's offense. It shows up in the tough games. He's got a lot of other great qualities, but maybe an investment in Jake Heaps would have brought big dividends, about noew. For whatever reason, people just never warmed up to Jake. Maybe if he had the personal characteristics (and age) of Riley Nelson, people would have been willing to let him continue to learn. His potential is certainly higher than Riley's, but I guess everyone was too impatient. I don't think Cougar fans would have stood for Jake starting again after the Utah State game. I wouldn't be surprised if Riley starts the next game though. If those who think he should be benched constantly praise him.

Tough problem.

• Utahman4ever FORT HUACHUCA, AZ
    Sept. 21, 2012 11:05 a.m.

First thing First. BYU has a great D. As a Ute fan I a very impressed and I can appreciate the frustration of not having an offense that can keep up with the D fense My hat is goes off to them. That said, While I know Most of you love the guy, Bronco is a great Defensive coordinator and a horrible head coach, who makes poor decisions and fails to make in game adjustments! His decision to go for two was yet another prime example, BSU does not trust their Kicker, BYU Has all the momentum your D has kept Boise out of the endzone all night even when they had the ball on the 1! And you go for two with no timeouts to stop the clock to get it back to your offense? I know it is my opinion but wow. On a side note, I was cheering for BYU as I cannot stand BSU and think they are way over rated this year and think that the blue turff is cheating!

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 11:06 a.m.

Sorry for Riley. Who ever knows who the best QB will be. Sometimes you go down the line and bring in the 5th string QB- Steve Young- and the rest is history. Be careful, Hill while they build you up to be the next Savior of BYU Football. They did that to Nelson, Heaps, and many others.
    It's not surprising about Lark. At USU, and UTAH; the best guy plays and their very careful with politicizing. USU and Utah coach let you know where you stand and 'the best guy plays.' BYU, the best guys play on first string, then it's political after that. At the other schools- Lark would have known up front that he was not going to play and even be given a chance. I don't know that I'd continue to point the finger at Nelson, Lark, or Hill- They're not responsible- Doman is for the offense. Heaps, Nelson... Strike TWO.

• See It SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 11:51 a.m.

Lose their jobs? Nelson should lose his. He pulled this two years in Fall Camp, playing when he was hurt and not telling anyone. Nelson gave Utah 14 points and Boise State the only 7 points they could score. Lose him! Doman's play calling is worst than Robert Anae's. Lose him. Weber's O line still can block anyone, so that blows up the running game. Lose him. Mendenhall is a great defensive coach. But if he can't make the decisons to help this team win, then lose him. Mendenhall gravitates to players and coaches who are gritty, but not necessarily the best individuals for the job. It's his weakness, and it has kept us from being 4-0. By the end of the season we will be lucky to be 7-5. Watch what happens with Utah State, Georgia Tech, and Notre Dame. Better coaching will win those games.

• FanofBYU American Fork, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:20 p.m.

Such a waste to have receivers like Hoffman, Apo, and Falslev and you can't get them the ball? What ever happened to passing to the Tight Ends or the backs coming out of the back field?

Unless the O-Line is so bad that it can't stop D-Linemen, then BYU is wasting a lot of talent.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:24 p.m.

I clearly am not seeing what Doman is seeing. From what I can tell, a quarterback that can pass would have won that game. Lark can pass. Taysom Hill will certainly be able to at some point, but why stick him in right now? Why is Lark not being given the chance? There is still plenty of time later in the season to let Hill get substantial playing time or even to start. Lark not only seriously deserves the chance to play, but may also be very effective in leading an offense that has so many weapons.

• Amorphous Saint George, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:28 p.m.

Cougarfan777,
    So well said. I would add that James has been more than led to believe that he would be given the reigns. It is outright disingenuity, even dishonesty at it's worst regarding the coaches handling of Lark.
    Regarding his ability to enter an NFL combine and perform, you are right on again, that is if the choices these inept coaches have made haven't sucked the life out of him, I hope he pulls it together, tries out and shine while showing them what he's made of.
    As for those of you with disparraging remarks about Riley, it should be obvious to all that he is playing hurt, whether by his own choice or that of the coaches. Since early in the Weber State game he has not been himself, and it has hurt the team. My heart goes out to him, but it is James' time now.
    They are making the same mistake with Hill that they made with Heaps, though he has the grit, edge and physicality that Heaps never did or likely ever will. Too much, too soon.

• CG Orem, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:30 p.m.

Aloha Saint George

Isn't if fun to live in your own delusional BYU-hating fantasy?

To claim that BYU is the ONLY school in the country that signs players who never become starters is laughable. Name me the player who accepted a scholarship offer from Utah knowing that he would never have a chance to start.

• FanofBYU American Fork, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:33 p.m.

I do not blame Nelson for wanting to be in the game. He is a tough competitor. Anyone who has played sports competitively understands that even when you're hurt, you still want to compete. It is the Coach's responsibility to make the decision whether someone should be playing, not the athlete. The coaches knew that Riley was injured. They made the decision.

I'm glad that Bronco has such high regards for Riley. But Bronco has a responsibility to his TEAM and to the people who show up to all the games and support the team (fans.)

The players gave their all last night. The coaches came up short. Kudos to the entire defense. That was a great performance. Kudos to the Freshman Hill for going out in very tough circumstances and putting together a 95yard drive. Kudos to Hoffman and Apo for not giving up on this team.

• dalefarr South Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 21, 2012 12:46 p.m.

Bronco and Doman do not know how to handle and groom quarterback. They had the highest rated h.s. quarterback in the nation and blew it in favor of a player who should have been a safety. When the season begins,they favor Riley over Lark. Munns is ignored. When Riley fumbles and throws away two games, they go with a freshman who has yet to demonstrate he can throw the ball. Doman favors quarterbacks who remind him of himself but he forgets that when he was successful, the Cougars had the best runing back in the nation. What a mess.

• CCPedersen Fairfield, CA
    Sept. 21, 2012 4:28 p.m.

Why hasn't someone explained to Coach Mendenhall that timeouts are actually valuable in the second half of a close game, particularly one in which his team is losing? He squanders them regularly; Utah and BSU this year and others in the past. He seems to be a good recruiter and good defensive game planner, but when it comes to "in-game/gotta make a quick call and right now" strategic questions (like the ridiculous and indefensible decision to go for 2), he is simply in over his head. One other thing missed in the "why not go for 2" debate is this: if BYU converts and leads 8-7, then Boise will be in 4 down position. It is a lot harder to stop an opponent from moving down the field when the opponent knows it has 4 plays to use rather than the normal 3 downs and then punt. That is why so many last-second drives are successful. If BYU had gone
    for the tie, Boise would almost certainly have played it safe and the game would had gone to OT. Gee, which team would have had the momentum?

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Sept. 21, 2012 4:39 p.m.

Re: BacanaUte. I definitely don't bleed red and am a Cougs fan, but I thought your comment was spot-on! Couldn't agree with you more. Indeed, it comes down to successful coaching ... or the lack thereof. Perhaps Bronco's "gig" has more than run thin, including his continuing support of an OC who's way in over his head.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 21, 2012 4:42 p.m.

I don't quite understand all the criticism of Hill in essentially his first outing. He put BYU in a position to win, then the BYU coaches stole it away from. I was very disappointed in Bronco's post-game interview in which he didn't take any responsibility for the loss and threw Taysom under the bus. Instead of saying something like,"Yeah I took a gamble with the 2 point call and it didn't pan out," he said Hill had open receivers and couldn't get it to them. Bronco, certainly you have more class than that. Very poor form for a head coach.

Hill is NOT another Riley Nelson. He has a MUCH stronger arm, bigger, and faster. He just lacks experience. That is why I wish they would have put Lark in to replace Nelson. Not that I think Lark is any better of a passer than Nelson--and he isn't--but i just don't want to see the freshman thrown into the fire like that with everything stacked against you. To so many fickle fans, the best QB is the unproven one sitting on the bench.

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 4:44 p.m.

Mr. Harmon you should read Gordon Monson's article. Riley Nelson is not a good qb. He can look good against inferior teams, but against decent teams he plays poorly.
    Stop blaming it on an injury. Lots of players are hurt but we don't even know about their injuries, because they don't make a big deal out of their injuries. They play through injuries and play well.
    Riley Nelson is a good guy, but not a good QB, hurt or not.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 21, 2012 4:59 p.m.

There is no question that Riley needed to be replaced last night. In fact he shouldn't have started the 2nd half. But mark my words, he won't lose his starting position unless he is injured.

They really need to fix the O-line if any QB is going to be effective. New O-line coach?

I really like Doman, and i'm not ready to give up on him, but he needs to be put on notice. That pathetic offensive showing last night was one of the worst ever (combined with perhaps the best defensive effort ever). Our offense is very, very dysfunctional. Nelson, Doman, and the O-line equally share in that dysfunction.

The defense was stellar but the slowness of our defensive backs has been exposed for 3 games now. Have they adequately covered the deep ball even once? I think in all our games this year, every attempt by opposing teams in the deep ball has found wide open receivers. Lucky for us most of the time the passes have been off the mark.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 5:22 p.m.

This isn't so much a QB decision at BYU as it is an offensive coordinator decision. Ever since Robert Anae left BYU has been HORRIBLE on offense. This nutty run and scramble scheme might work at Air Force but not at BYU and I wonder how much more pain the Cougar Club and others are going to endure before they demand Doman be let go. Brandon is a decent QB coach but his offense is not for BYU and it's a round peg in a square hole situation. This is UGLY and embarrassing football. My hope is that Bronco signed only a 3 year deal for a reason and after his third year he is gone. I would love to see some fresh faces at the Y and Robert Anae would a great pick for head coach with Steve Kufusi as D-coordinator. Great island connection!! Also - Ty Detmer as QB coach for a year or two wouldn't be bad either.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 6:01 p.m.

I can't believe the BYU fans on here that are clueless on the QB situation. There is one QB on the team that can throw the ball, has excelled in spring ball and practices came off his mission and stayed loyal to BYU when Utah and Arizona St offered him the QB position and that's senior James Lark. He has never been given a chance, first it was Heaps, then Nelson and now they pass him over for a freshman even though Mendenhall and Doaman promised him a chance. BYU fans looks to your coaching staff as a prime example of what bad character and coaching do, it's crime what your coaching staff has done to your team. James Lark is a good QB and a good kid too bad he was treated with such disrespect.

• Bruzzer Ogden, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 6:47 p.m.

Well Dick The problem is not riley,lark or who ever you could put Peyton from Denver Brandon Doman dont have it never did. Some people dont have it and he's one he waits on when he should pass until he has to how come no trick plays Why not let some else call the plays Bronco dont bring it like edwards did. Hold Bronco accountable you have to your indepent now espn has some regets im sure

• LeftTurnClyde South Ogden, 00
    Sept. 21, 2012 6:54 p.m.

Wake up Doman! This team has some big, fast and talented WR's and TE's and only one QB that can throw down field. Come on Doman, the fans want to see some real BYU football. Play James Lark... he deserves it... your receiving corps deserves it... and most of all the fans deserve it!

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Sept. 21, 2012 11:07 p.m.

If Coach Mendenhall had gone for the 1 point PAT and the kicker missed, you all would have wanted Bronco's head for not going for the 2 points. Easy to criticize after the fact. Great game guys, but offense needs some work.

• juanito heber, UT
    Sept. 22, 2012 8:25 a.m.

Doman has been suspect since he took over last year. In the Utah game BYU had a 1st and 5 after a penalty in Utah territory and ended up punting. Not using Apo is perplexing. I've heard BYU say that Apo isn't practicing as much due to possible injury and for that reason may not be getting the ball as much. Who knows. All I know is the play calling is horrible and execution is an embarrassment. They had better figure it out before Georgia Tech and Notre Dame.

• gcg123 HURRICANE, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 11:03 p.m.

The legacy of BYU has been great passing. That legacy has been destroyed since Doman became the OC. He obviously favors a mobile qb to one who can pass ie. James Lark. I think James Lark's passing arm would infuse excitement into a very insipid offense. Look for BYU to lose its television deals if Mendenhall can't turn BYU into the scoring machine of yester year. I don't think the offense will improve while Doman coaches the offense...I have seen nothing in the last two years to make me think otherwise.

• yourstruly PAUL, ID
    Sept. 24, 2012 9:53 p.m.

Jake Heaps was the number one quarterback in the nation and he was going to BYU and his talent throwing the ball was obvious. BYU made no bones aboutit either.
    Follow Andrew Luck at a great school like Stanford sounded like a pretty good option to Taysom I am sure especially since Heaps had his eyes on BYU forever. Taysom's brother Jordan was a redshirt linebacker heavily recruited to BYU who after his mission started for 4 years at Arizona.