Sloppy play leaves BYU-Utah rivalry game tied at half

Comments

• U Student Y Fan Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 10:28 p.m.

Can we now all agree that Nelson is not a D-1 QB? I'm not referring in anyway to his character or his decided grittiness. Please just tell me that no one can watch him play against any decent team and conclude that he is an a decent QB, let alone a great one.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 10:29 p.m.

I was right. Nice interception Riley. Sit on the bench. Bronco pls bring in Lark or Hill.

• U Student Y Fan Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 10:30 p.m.

That last post was entered BEFORE the INT! If Bronco has any integrity and common sense, he will pull Nelson.

• CoachRay Orem, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 10:49 p.m.

Nelson? Or Brandon Doman? Domnan needs to learn how to confuse a defense. If I can call the play, then certainly the Utah defense knows what's coming.

• CoachRay Orem, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 10:54 p.m.

This is ridiculous. Its like they have never played football before. BYU always always always alwways always always self destructs. ALWAYS

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 10:56 p.m.

Unbelievable
    Can we now finally stop all the Jake Heaps hate? Riley is no better!

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 10:57 p.m.

Clearly, the Y's offensive line is likely the weakest link on the team. Nelson has been harassed, not only in this game, but in the first two against decidedly weaker opponents.

Frankly, the Utes come better prepared to play.

• USNGary South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 10:58 p.m.

get riley out of the game. he is not a quarterback

• U Student Y Fan Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:02 p.m.

Thanks Nelson fans!

Bronco:

Utah may be the better team, but at least act like winning is more important than your relationship with Riley!

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:03 p.m.

Does anyone think Riley is a quarterback?

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:05 p.m.

byu,

It's all over for this year. Keep the faith. Maybe next year will be the Quest for Perfection.

Goodnight and good luck.

Very truly yours,

Uncle Otis

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:06 p.m.

Aggies 30
    BYU 6

How did I do Chris??

• U Student Y Fan Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:06 p.m.

This situation with bronco and Riley seriously seems suspicious

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:08 p.m.

Go Utes!

• localblue Sandy, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:09 p.m.

This team unfortunately is getting totally out coached, just as it has in the past and how it will in the future. Bronco has been successful at BYU but only against weak competition. There is no reason to have the number of false starts they have. It's a joke and points to the coaching and QB play. BYU is going to have some problems in many of its upcoming games with this type of play.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:12 p.m.

I have said since last year, Riley will kill us against good teams. BYU fans you wanted him live with it.

• U Student Y Fan Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:16 p.m.

wer and CoachRay:

I don't dispute that Doman is a poor OC and the line is subpar, but how can you not blame 90% of this on Riley? It's a joke.

Bronco's stubbornness in not pulling him is laughable.

• Voice of Reason Layton, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:31 p.m.

Holy cow, do those Ute fans hate BYU. I grew up out of state and elsewhere, you have rivalries. Here, you have a rivalry on one side and a visceral hatred of the "Team Down South" on the other. Seriously, who boos every score of your rival that loudly?

Utah obviously is far more motivated and fired up by this game.

• rafinsure Elk Grove/U.S.A., 00
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:33 p.m.

For a D1 quarterback, Riley Nelson can't throw a decent spiral.

Is anyone actually at the game? I'm trying to figure out why Riley Nelson is ignoring Ross Apo (#1 wide receiver). It seems like Nelson is relying too much on Hoffman and Larsen. He's too predictable. The few times I've seen Ross down the field, he seems like he's open. Apo has not gotten any love since Jake Heaps left. He was actually effective when he was thrown passes last year. Mendenhall has to figure out the offense.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 15, 2012 11:37 p.m.

And the funny thing is you ran Heaps off for this guy. Not hard to predict the next 3 games.

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:01 a.m.

Let me be the first to say the BETTER team won tonight. The one question I have is what is this with the fans rushing the field all I have heard is PAC-12 fans are above this but guess I was wrong wasn’t I not only did they rush it once but 3 times let’s not say anything about BYU fans doing this your fans almost cost you the game if not for that dang goal post

• satch Highland, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:02 a.m.

Coaches for BYU D-, BYU Defense A, BYU Offense D, Riley Nelsen F, BYU place kicker go home.

So frustrated for BYU's defense who showed up. As for BYU's offense and coaches, I hope your fireside was good. Poor, poor coaching.

Utah showed swagger when it needed to and dominated out of the half. It would be nice to see a BYU coach get in someones face after the fourth fumble.

• Peter Coyotl West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:03 a.m.

The worst officiated game in the history of the rivalry. Who were those clowns?

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:06 a.m.

couglifer
    South Jordan, UT

___________

Stop crying.
    This has nothing to do with the PAC 12. If Utah was in the MWC or WAC you would be saying the same thing.

• Just my opinion Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:08 a.m.

The field goal hit the upright of the goal post at 11:59, it had to hit the post, because the game had to end. BYU diesn't play on Sundays.

• Mister J SLC, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:11 a.m.

@ USNGary 10:58 p.m.

Riley is okay. It's a shame that he is being hamstrung by his HC & OC.

Both teams dodged bullets & the officiating was lousy at best.

Lets be honest; both are undisciplined and make bonehead mental mistakes.

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:12 a.m.

Who is crying I am laughing I thought it was as funny as could be and besides whar was my first comment i will repeat it for you ok
    Let me be the first to say the BETTER team won tonight

• Voice of Reason Layton, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:13 a.m.

From this lifelong Cougar: Congrats to Utah for a well-earned win. I thought BYU was the more talented & experienced team before the game, but Utah just plain & simple wanted it more...that was clear. All those BYU false starts show just how much that unbelievably noisy stadium was rattling them.

Which leads me to the fans. I'm sorry, but at what point does loudly cheering for your team become making noise for the sole purpose of making play impossible for the other team? That was obviously happening, and it just seems unsportsmanlike with a mean streak to me. And the fans rushed the field before the game was even over not once, but twice...they even got penalized for it. Excitement for winning I understand, but this feels like something more to me. As an out-of-stater, can someone please explain to me why Utah fans seem to hate - I mean really HATE - BYU so much? I went to BYU, and I never saw such visceral hatred of Utah down there; I honestly didn't.

But, amazing game...I don't like losing, but better this way than last year for sure. Poor Stephenson.

• Voice of Reason Layton, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:23 a.m.

I think Stephenson and Ryan Kaneshiro are gonna be seeing each other in therapy soon. All kidding aside, I feel for both of them. Losing a game because of a field goal bouncing off the goalpost...and your the kicker. That's tough.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:23 a.m.

Looks like many on this thread didn't follow Elder Holland's advice. Saying such mean things about your own team--BYU?

I agree, Riley isn't the best passer in the world, but he doesn't deserve the insults he is getting. I feel sorry for any BYU QB--the expectations are ridiculous. If a BYU QB walked on water, they would probably criticize him for doing it pigeon-toed or something. Pull yourselves together!

I thought Utah would win in a close game, and the U fans were gracious enough to give BYU another chance--pretty funny, especially if it would have cost them the game. Probably for the best that this rivalry is going away--makes the state of Utah look really bad.

Congrats Utes. This is probably a reality check to the eccentric BYU fans--which is good, but BYU should rebound and win seven or eight games which is great.

Good luck to both teams!

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:24 a.m.

@couglifer show ONE person on here that said that "pac 12 are above rushing the field."

they said that it was hilarious you rushed the field against usu last year (an inferior opponent who you shouldnt have even beat).

• PCRes Park City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:28 a.m.

well...BYU and their sad kicking game has now haunted them once again. Coaching staff continues to to come up short. Special teams coaching favoritism is exposed again. Very sad.

• technonerd7 orem, ut
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:31 a.m.

Said it last year, and I will say it again. Riley is NOT the QB for BYU. Jake was, and the coaches ran him out. Under Anaie he was a very good QB. We have GIVEN Utah the game the last 3 years in a row. Missed FG's, bad snaps, interceptions, running the same play over and over. I was calling the plays BYU was going to run all night. I am pretty sure Utah could figure it out. The best QB at BYU is not being allowed to play. Nor is the second best.

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:33 a.m.

@WACPaddingOurSchedule

Besides the only reason I bring rushing the field is because of the BYU haters who make a big deal of it when BYU does it and how low class it is. I could go back for examples but it is not worth it. I have seen it and so has many other comment readers.
    And again I will say the BETTER team one tonight.

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:36 a.m.

@sportsfanforlife
    an inferior opponent who you shouldnt have even beat and what does that say about you, just asking

• Cougarsfan777 ,
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:36 a.m.

BYU deserved to lose this game. Nelson is a terrible quarterback against teams that are any good. The guy has heart, but it takes more than that to win a game against quality opponents. If Bronco doesn't have the common sense to put in Lark even after a performance like that then maybe BYU needs more than just a quarterback change to be successful...

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 1:04 a.m.

@couglifer besides me telling the truth? and besides you were even lucky to be in the game? haha it says im absolutely right.

• sportsrealist salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 1:08 a.m.

@technonerd7

"We have GIVEN Utah the game the last 3 years in a row. Missed FG's, bad snaps, interceptions, running the same play over and over."

haha you sound so pathetic right now. you got absolutely owned in this game. you were even lucky to be able to have a fg at the end to miss. utah tried their
    HARDEST to give you the game but your team is just too pathetic to take whats being given to them. (two tries.... TWO TRIES!!!) you're the example of delusional fan the ute fans were talkin about before this game.. "byu never loses, we always beat ourselves or give the game away" haha wow sad.

• Duckhunted highland, utah
    Sept. 16, 2012 1:10 a.m.

I think Star was the big difference in this game!! He was everywhere. Van Noy played great too, but Star knocked down 3 passes in the first half. It was like BYU's lineman wanted nothing to do with him!

• tru blue spanish fork, utah
    Sept. 16, 2012 1:21 a.m.

Everyone loves byu when they win. But as soon as they lose, they hate them. Byu did have a bad time against utah. I love byu but I will not talk trash about the players and coaches. after all is said and done. they human just like the rest of us. I thought the defense played outstanding.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 16, 2012 7:21 a.m.

Hey BYU fans. Yes, Riley is no star talent but he is a solid leader. BYU has offensive line issues just like Utah. Riley needs protection despite his scrambler ways. I will give you the big difference between Riley and Heaps. Remember the bad shotgun snap to start the game last year? Heaps got scared and let Utah fall on it for the early TD. Well that same bad snap came again to start the game tonight. Except this time with Riley at QB, he attacks the ball to try and force no worse than a safety while getting mutilated. Riley is tough and Kruger bailed out BYU with a face mask.

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 7:40 a.m.

@sportsfanforlife

Ok you are so right, right up until you started typing I think you have had too much red punch. I may have missed spoke when I said that Pac 12 fans would not rush the field and yes it was said more than once that rushing the field at BYU was a joke and if I had all the fee time in the world I would go and find the comments. But you are wrong in your statement that BYU should not have been in the game defense and mental errors won this game BYU lead in all phases of this game but 2 finale score and mental errors check the states. Also your statement about inferior opponent I seem to remember Utah lost to Utah State this year your statement said you lost to an (in your own words) inferior opponent.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 16, 2012 7:41 a.m.

Agreed. Star and Van Noy were men among boys.

This game was ugly, but that's normal in this rivalry isn't it? I would say I ahve now seen it all, but next year might even be stranger yet. Tonight's game was like reverse karma for Utah from 1998. Then Utah moved down in chip shot FG range to win the game, but on the pass that set up the FG try, there was a flag for excessive celebration (hate that call in college ball). Utah moves back 15 yards and Kaneshiro's kick goes off the post. Tonight was doink part II, this time in Utah's favor.

Think of all the last play of the game wins or losses this rivalry has had. It started in 1993 with the last second FG that gave Utah the 34-31 win. Just since 2005, it's happened again and again. Utah over BYU in overtime at BYU in 2005. BYU's Beck hits Harline the next season (2006), Hall finds George 2009 (overtime), then Utah wins in 2010 and 2012 on the last play. Other games except Ute blowouts were decided in the last 20 seconds.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 16, 2012 7:48 a.m.

These games always open the door for excuses (valid or not). I like to bring up that Utah has won 8 of 11 and 13 of the last 20, but some wins could have been losses as well. That said, I also look at the 'what could have beens' in the loss column. Utah self destructed on two 4th and 18 dream scenarios and let BYU beat them deep in losses in 2000 and 2007. Last night on 4th and 12, the Utes let BYU beat them deep AGAIN. Come on Whitt, make that never happen again. The one second left on the clock call was the right one and I knew it right when it happened. However, the game shouldn't have gotten to that point. When Riley was sacked with 25 seconds left (deep in BYU's own territory), the refs flagged Utah for a second rescinded call on the night. Although the officials picked up the flag, the clock stopped and it allowed BYU to save at least 8 seconds and organize a play. How about the favorable spots BYU got while Utah got short changed in that regard all night. This game irritated me.

• technonerd7 orem, ut
    Sept. 16, 2012 8:46 a.m.

To "realist":
    Passing yds: BYU 206 Utah 196
    Total yards: BYU 312 Utah 245
    Reusing yards: BYU 106 Utah 49
    Penalty yards: Byu 75 yds Utah 112 yds

BYU was the better team, yet we lost. I am definitely not delusional. I had this as a 3 point game. Just the other way. I didn't think BYU would run the table. I nail BYU for running the same running play over and over and over and over. It doesn't change the fact we didn't take care of the ball and gift wrapped the game (in the form of a botched snap to touchdown) to Utah. Last year we gave up about 28 points in turnovers in the second half on turnovers. The game before that was a great special teams block on the final field goal of the game.

On a positive note, both teams defense looks great, and John Hays is one tough guy. He got nailed very hard several times. Wow.

• Cowboy Dude SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 8:53 a.m.

Gutsy to not play John White IV. Next week's game is far more important.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 10:45 a.m.

First Ute fans stop with the better team won tonight. If BYU does not screw up that exchange (that went for a TD) your loose that game. Tell me how utah was not given that game? That had nothing to do with utah being a better team. get real

I will continue to say "I have never believed Riley was a D-1 qb" and it shows.

Utah fan you will be lucky to break 500 in the pac 12. with that team. Not a good team in more ways than one.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Shouldn't have run off Anae and Heaps.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 16, 2012 2:10 p.m.

@technonerd7

There are other stats and things to consider. Being a good team isn't just about the stats you mentioned. Making mistakes and turning the ball over is part of your teams grade scale. Utah won the turnover battle +2. Actually, consider the amount of times BYU put the ball on the ground and they are lucky they recovered all but one of those. Utah forced some fumbles and BYU flubbed some others. Don't forget two more interceptions Utah could of had, as they set themselves up for it and dropped it (flubs of their own).

All in all, this was one of the worst officiating jobs of the year. Thanks ESPN, it seems to me (conspiracy craziness) that you tried to save your image by seeking to profit illegitimately from your contract with BYU.

Maybe BYU could have 4 losses before November, then run the table against Idaho, San Jose State, and New mexico State and get ranked again. That's what happened last year. BYU is not ranked, beats four softies in November and gets ranked. Doesn't an honest BYU fan see that as a shady ranking?

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 2:45 p.m.

@bballjunkie

you sound like the most pathetic y fan of them all. the better team won without a doubt. your team is pathetic enough they cant even take a game that is gift wrapped for them to take! haha!

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 3:20 p.m.

@bballjunkie

Sour grapes man. Utah wasn't "given" the game, they just took advantage of BYU's mistakes. That is what good teams do. Also you could make the case that if BYU were the better team, they wouldn't make mistakes like snapping the ball past the QB. It happened twice. Further, BYU had 3 chances to win the game late, and failed each time.

The fact is, Utah is a better team than BYU despite the fact that Utah was playing without it's starting QB, RB, and both safeties. The good news is that you can already start looking forward to next year seeing as how BYU's season is over now.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 4:07 p.m.

@sportsfanforlife
    and twin brother Two For Flinching

No soar grapes here boys, and if you can tell me how your Utah team is such the better team, I am all ears. But the fact is you can't and if BYU is so much lower class of a team than your mighty utes explain to me how you expect your team to even come close to competing in the mighty pac 12? If you can't honesty say you weren't given the game on a platter "because thats what good teams do" to win, how did you loose to a WAC team? And if your team is so good how do they just "luck" out on beating a independent team? If you are so good,explain to me how many points your high power offense of yours actually scored? how many points aganst a lower quality team such as BYU?

Who is the pathetic fans? We all know ute fans don't all speak at once.
    Talk facts and not smack and back up what you say. Pathetic good call.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 7:53 p.m.

@bballjunkie

uh yeah actually i CAN tell you how utah has the better as they showed it for the COUNTRY TO SEE.

"If you can't honesty say you weren't given the game on a platter "because thats what good teams do" to win, how did you loose to a WAC team? And if your team is so good how do they just "luck" out on beating a independent team? If you are so good,explain to me how many points your high power offense of yours actually scored? how many points aganst a lower quality team such as BYU?"

yeah you are DEFINITELY about as delusional as they come. utah lucked out when they had a 24-7 lead going into the 4th quarter and didnt attempt one pass the whole 4th quarter? utah lucked out when they GAVE you chance after chance after chance to get back in the game? utah lucked out when they let you have a 4th and 13 for 47 yards? hahaha you y fans are so delusional and you act like we didnt watch the same game as you, only funny thing is you delusional fans try to interpret it differnt lol

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 12:48 a.m.

@bballjunkie

Nobody said BYU is "so much lower." All I said is that Utah is the better team. Evidenced by the fact that Utah won the game, the last 3, 4 of the last 5, and 8 of the last 11. Weird Utah gets "lucky" so much.

Nobody ever said Utah had a "high powered offense." Utah's offense did exactly what they needed to, and that was protect the ball and score "enough".

Utah can compete in the PAC by playing the same way they played BYU. Tough D, and the offense must continue to limit TOs and take advantage of opportunities created by the defense. Special teams and penalties need to be addressed though.

Finally, LOL @ you telling other people to talk facts and not smack. There is not one fact in either of your posts. It's just a long frantic rant about Utah being lucky. Give credit where credit is due.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 17, 2012 10:57 a.m.

Just my opinion
    Salt Lake City, UT

-----------

Apparently it doesn't play on Saturdays either: 8 of 11 Utah.