Utah

Well-known civil rights attorney Brian Barnard dies at 67

Comments

• Kevin577 Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 7:53 p.m.

I didn't always agree with Mr. Barnard's politics or causes -- in fact, I seldom did -- but I always appreciated his tenacity and respectful approach. Condolences to his family and friends.

• The Skeptical Chymist SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 8:16 p.m.

Mr. Barnard provided a needed counterpoint to the prevailing views in Utah. There were few times when I disagreed with him. His well-argued point of view made Utah a better place. My sympathies to his family and friends. I suspect that even his foes will miss him.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 8:46 a.m.

Why is this news?

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 9:16 a.m.

As a Mormon, my view is that Brian Barnard will be richly blessed by God for fighting for the weak, the poor, the downtrodden, those in the most need. I wish more of my religion would take up the cause proclaimed by Christ and by King Benjamin rather than the cause of supporting the rich and the powerful.

• J Thompson SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 9:21 a.m.

God rest his soul. Now he knows that God exists and that God loves him.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 11:37 a.m.

@Maoledon

try reading the article before commenting, this man did more in a single day to serve others and defend our constitutional rights then most people will do in five lifetimes. You and J's disrespectful comments reflect poorly on you not Mr Bernard.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 1:32 p.m.

Thanks to the Deseret News for running a complimentary story on a great Utahn who championed the powerless and oppressed.

I wish Brian had lived another 20 years or so, but at least he died peacefully. He made Utah a better place.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 2:43 p.m.

Would he have fought for my right to be exempt from Obamacare's mandate?

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 6:02 p.m.

@usalover
    @sadly we will never no, If he had wold you still be making snarky comments?