Utah

A Mormon dilemma: Mitt Romney or BYU football?

Comments

• Holden Caulfield Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 31, 2012 7:12 p.m.

There is a considerably large contingent of Mormons voting for Obama (see Facebook). How about a story about that group? Not every Mormon out there is supporting Romney, despite the constant barrage of pro Romney articles.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 31, 2012 7:27 p.m.

Not sure how much of a dilemma it was. One of these things was a campaign that's going to turn into an unmitigated disaster...the other was a political speech. Who honestly cares about BYU football any more?

• jhreader Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 31, 2012 7:37 p.m.

It's headlines like these that confirm the national bias of Mormons as sheep incapable of their own thoughts. I wish this article acknowledged the possibility that some Mormons -- gasp! -- didn't care to watch either event, with no jeopardy to their eternal salvation.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Aug. 31, 2012 8:03 p.m.

GO BYU COUGARS!!!

I don't mix football with politics, and BYU was kind enough to let me know their plans first.

• rightascension Provo, UT
    Aug. 31, 2012 8:18 p.m.

The Deseret News's obsession with Romney reaches a new low with this non-story. It was possible to do both. We watched the game on mute on TV and watched Romney on CNN on a device. No problem. No story.

• Well Read SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 31, 2012 8:22 p.m.

No problem! Don't let your dander get heated up. Watch the BYU game.
    anything except the Republican convention. Helps me stay cool and not angry!!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 31, 2012 8:23 p.m.

Neither. There are plenty of us Mormons who don't like either one of them.

• BleedsBlue Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2012 9:02 p.m.

Wouldn't want to miss either one. Watched the game on TV and had the speech on the laptop with earphones in one ear. It was possible to see what was happening in the game while hearing what Mitt had to say. Thought it was a great speech, loved the game. A terrific night!

• Eric P Boise, ID
    Aug. 31, 2012 10:01 p.m.

I am going to head a new group called BYU Cougar Fans for Ron Paul.

We can come up with some cool BYU / Ron Paul T-shirts and banners and choose a nice section of camera-friendly stadium seating so that we can reverse the public perception of a Mormon membership / Romney love affair.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 31, 2012 10:15 p.m.

No problem here. With modern technology was able to effectively go back and forth with lightning speed and pretty much not lose anything in the process. It was fun to see Obama get Jimmered by the Republican convention speakers, and to see Chris B get driven into his hole by the Cougar pasting of Pac-12 WSU. Both events obviously drove crazy most of the above pundits. It's all good.

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 1, 2012 12:44 a.m.

I chose football live and politics by DVR. The speeches are just great.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Sept. 1, 2012 5:32 a.m.

Why in the world would I want to watch the RNC. Its meaningless. Watch something fun like football. I dId not even care that Mitt was speaking. I guess if your older than 70 you might like politics better than football. And why is it a "Mormon Dilemma'? Like all Mormons like BYU football and Mitt Romney.

• TheFork Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 1, 2012 5:34 a.m.

jhreader
    Yes there are Mormons who are biased for Romney, just because he is a Mormon, just as there are folks who are biased for Obama, just because he is black or a democrat. I am mormon, but voted for Obama 4 years ago, but BECAUSE of my evaluation of his record, cannot support him now. And although I did not vote for Romney in the primary, I am solidly behind him now.

RE: I chose to record the BYU football game and watch Romney's speech (and some of the media thoughts afterwards) live with some of my grandkids. I then began watching the recorded football game, but fast forwarded through the commercials and halftime. By the end of the game I was watching it live.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    Sept. 1, 2012 7:25 a.m.

I cannot imagine that anyone would miss Mitt Romney's speech at the RNC. I did not even think about the football game until I saw some mention of it online. I later turned it on and saw the second half. Unless there are pure political illiterates that have been living in some somnambulistic state for the past four years, one would think that people would be intensely interested in politics considering who is currently President and the need to replace him. The Latter-Day Saints have even more invested in who wins the Presidency than who wins a football game.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 1, 2012 7:30 a.m.

No problem. We set our DVR, got out the headphones, and headed for the BYU game. I watched the game live, and listened to Mitt Romney's outstanding speech on the headphones while watching the game. After enjoying the big win, we drove home and watched the speech on tv. The perfect solution for me. I thought both "hit it out of the ballpark!"

Go Romney-Ryan 2012!
    Go BYU!

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    Sept. 1, 2012 8:10 a.m.

Not much of a dilemma on my part.

I listened to Clint Eastwood interview the chair on the radio as I was driving home after 16 hours at work.

I watched Romney's speech.

Then I checked out Utah's victory over Northern Colorado.

Then I checked out Utah State's victory over Southern Utah.

Then I checked out the BYU-Washington State Game, which was in the 2nd quarter.

I went to bed before that latter game was even at half time.

• dden45 Provo, Utah
    Sept. 1, 2012 8:29 a.m.

No dilemma here. FOOTBALL!

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Sept. 1, 2012 9:37 a.m.

Are you kidding? I'm a Ute and I still chose BYU over the speech. It was the game of the night. The RNC was three days, BYU football was 3 hours. Let's get our priorities straight.

• Cowboy Dude SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 1, 2012 9:42 a.m.

All of my teams won on Thursday night from Logan to Tampa. But I chose to watch the Cougs!

Go Utes too!

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2012 9:44 a.m.

Wierd article..I didn't know that in order to be a good Mormon you had to be a BYU fan...nor did I think that to be a good Mormon you had to support Mitt Romney. No wonder why people think Mormons are wierd.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Sept. 1, 2012 10:00 a.m.

I'm not politically illiterate. I look at it this way..

If my football team wins and I missed it, I say "Oh man, I wish I saw the game."

If my candidate wins an election, I don't say "Oh man, I wish I saw his speech."

• Utah Girl Vernal, UT
    Sept. 1, 2012 10:57 p.m.

Since I had to work, I just recorded both of them and watched them when I got home. There was much about the Convention that I didn't want to listen to, like all the "talking heads" constantly analyzing everything, so I was able to fast forward through things I was not interested in. Clint Eastwood's speech was a little odd, but I thought he made some good points. Loved Marco Rubio's speech, and the testimonials given by the older couple from Mitt's ward. There were other speeches I would like to have heard, such as the ones by the Olympics participants, but the talking heads were busy talking. I loved Mitt's speech, although he seemed a little uncomfortable and out of his element. He has a difficult time with public speaking, but his strengths in economics, job creation, and other related areas are what we need right now, not a great orator. He does his best work with smaller audiences, and with business conference type settings where he can speak one-on-one with people.

We watched the game last night, and it was great. Looking forward to a good season.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 12:54 p.m.

"Neither. There are plenty of us Mormons who don't like either one of them"
    Bitter?

I am not non-LDS and fine with both (and I don't really get Mormons who think they are hip because they condescend to other Mormons)

• CougarFaninIndiana West Lafayette, IN
    Sept. 5, 2012 3:17 p.m.

I wish Mormon's wouldn't blindly support Romney just because he is a Mormon. Look at his policies and do some research for yourself. Ron Paul is a defender of the Constitution. He defends personal liberty and is the only one willing to try and make the significant changes this country needs. Romney supports NDAA, the Patriot act, and No child left behind.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 3:32 p.m.

People actually watch political conventions? What's the point? 98% of voters already know who they are voting for in the major races.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 5:20 p.m.

Is there an expectation of political or football allegiance in mormonism?

• Pat Sandy, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 5:27 p.m.

Went to the game and listened to Romney's acceptance speech on my portable radio (ear phones of course).

• MoabUte Springville, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 9:57 p.m.

Articles like this make me ashamed to be a Mormon.....
    It pencils us all as BYU loving, Romney worshiping sheep. I know that the stereotype is largely true but I would prefer our own media outlets not propagate the idea.
    I AM AN INDIVIDUAL! I love the Utes, do not hate the Y and I think Mitt is a disingenuous snob. I am an independent that will be voting for the better PERSON. That is Obama.
    Please stop lumping us all in together.

• Central Texan Buda, TX
    Sept. 6, 2012 8:36 a.m.

We all know that the technological advancements of our day are often inspired, and of course the DVR was inspired for just such an occasion. Like TheFork, I started recording the football game while I watched the speeches, then watched the game from the beginning, fast-forwarding through the commercials. Beautiful.

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 9:35 a.m.

This story made me throw up a bit in my mouth, but I felt compelled to keep reading. I am simply in awe that this made it into the paper. I guess because they knew masochists like me would read. I also am interested to know the criteria for becoming one of Mitt's "most loyal supporters" as one of the speakers in the article self proclaimed.

No "great dilemma" here. This Mormon took his two daughters to the Ute game. Couldn't care less about the Y game. Didn't hear about the outcome until someone at work mentioned it the next day.