U.S. & World

Mia Love targeted amid racially charged incidents at GOP convention

Comments

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 4:03 p.m.

Racially charged incidents at a republican convention. That's inconceivable.

• Economist Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 4:09 p.m.

It's interesting to me that when there are confirmed incidents of blatant racism such as this, it's labeled and reported by the main stream media as some ambiguous isolated incident...as though the attacks are separate and apart from the National trend.

Instead of reporting it as a racist incident so that we can understand the context of the attack and help frame the underlying narrative that's developing around the nation, the critical details are strategically removed so we're left in the dark about this endemic problem. Racism is spreading.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 4:14 p.m.

I guess I was raised by good parents and have a conscience. I just don't understand why we can't just see each other as Americans.

Who cares if Mia Love is black? Who cares if a camera operator is black? Why does it matter? Those who do care need to grow up a little and start seeing the phrase "All men are created equal" as meaning exactly what it says.

Racism is just disgusting.

• JMT Springville, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 4:16 p.m.

Absolutely predictable. The media is hyper-biased. As for the Wikipage incident, to be expected from the same ideology that gave us so many ugly incidents during the "occupy Wallstreet" movement.

I have seen racism on many occassions. Most occassions come from the "left" relative to expected roles and views held by minorities. All African-Americans are expected to hold one view and if they don't...[insert racially motivated comment here.] I've seen this for years and frankly I am getting sick and tired of it.

How many times have Americans been called racist because they want a balanced budget; don't want Egypt to fall; don't want socialized medicine; don't think the auto industry should be bailed out; stimulus didn't work; Race To The Top would fail; Common Core is a bad idea; etc, etc, etc

Face it, the greatest example of racism and the race card comes from the left, by far! It's as though they never read the Martin Luther King "I have a dream" speech.

• djc Stansbury Park, Ut
    Aug. 29, 2012 4:18 p.m.

I deplore all the racial charged incidents and wish there were none.

I really would like to know why the "nut throwing" incident is "alleged" when it was supposedly mentioned in a mystery convention news release that I could not find on the convention website to confirm if it really existed.

I guess the story should read that an alleged news release from the party apologized for an alleged nut throwing incident at the alleged GOP convention.

The fact that Fox also ignore some of the speeches would seem to indicate a). It wasn't an issue of left/right, but rather importance of storm coverage or b). Fox and the others didn't want to show the minority speechs in question to their core Republican/Democrat viewers or c). all of this is sad and shouldn't be happening and reporting about it should be fair and unbiased. If one event is alleged, than all events should be alleged. If one network is biased, then all networks are equally biased.

• MVH Farmington, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 4:36 p.m.

Those loving, tolerant liberals. You do not see any of this type of behavior from conservatives.

• regis Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 4:38 p.m.

• xscribe Colorado Springs, CO
    Aug. 29, 2012 4:50 p.m.

To JMT and Regis: Please provide your evidence~

• sanpaco Sandy, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 4:57 p.m.

The message is clear, its not OK to be black unless you are also a Democrat.

• chinookdoctor PASADENA, CA
    Aug. 29, 2012 4:58 p.m.

The most racist comments I have heard have come from members of my own church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, sadly, many of these confused and tortured souls have made statements showing their hatred in the comments section of this website. Most of those folks were espousing ultra-conservative rhetoric, similar to what we are hearing from the RNC and the Romney campaign. As a minority, a woman, and a "liberal lefty" I can definitively say that the most outspoken racist people I've dealt with have been Republican racists. Racism is an illness that knows no political boundary, and if elected, I think Romney and his cronies will launch us into race riots and bigotry on a national scale like none we've seen since Jim Crow ended. The comments from "regis" show me that s/he is neither minority, nor knows many minorities well, and in fact sees people of color as one monolithic group. That's why s/he is only able to see criticism of conservative minorities. Sad for racists, they are trapped in an attitude of hatred toward everyone, mostly themselves.

• Bill McGee Alpine, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 5:04 p.m.

Charging that MSNBC may have cut away from Mia Love as a race-related issue is just irresponsible journalism. Love is a first-term mayor of a tiny suburb community and has no business being on any national political stage. She has done nothing to earn the right to speak at a forum like that. Unfortunately, she is clearly being used by the RNC to to make a show of being inclusive to demographics that their policies consistently disenfranchise. This is all about show over substance, and has nothing to do with race - at least not on the part of networks like MSNBC.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 5:21 p.m.

libs are so toleratnt, as long as you agree with them. the party is over gang. your hero will be back in chicago passing out handbills in January. he has left the US in a mess, but finally there is someone that can actually clean up his mess and not blame him or w. just the sound of that feels good. o to go and freedowm to return. can't come quick enough.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 5:29 p.m.

@xscribe

Here is at least one example: Harry Belefonte called Collin Powell 'a house slave' when he was in the Bush Administration. His words exactly. How many racial slurs have we heard against Clarence Thomas over the years? MANY!

@Bill McGee

Actually, it wasn't just Mia Love's comments that they cut away from. Ted Cruz and Arthur Davis as well. MSNBC has already admitted that they are a network for Progressives. Nobody should be surprised that they manipulate the news. They were dead last in the ratings last night.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Aug. 29, 2012 5:37 p.m.

People attack what they fear. Mia Love has caught the eyes and attention of many people and if she was a black Democrat, she would be the worlds darling. But how dare she be a black Republican and to add insult to injury a Mormon also. I think that she is amazing and exciting and hope that she will win the election there in Utah. Good luck Mia.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 5:46 p.m.

Dear --

JMT
    Springville, UT
    Who said "I have seen racism on many occassions. Most occassions come from the "left" ....

djc
    Stansbury Park, Ut

MVH
    Farmington, UT

regis
    Salt Lake City, UT

sanpaco
    Sandy, UT
    The message is clear, its not OK to be black unless you are also a Democrat.

And to all the rest of the Right-wing Republicans who wish to chime in but can not read or are catatonically in denial....

================

“GOP attendee ejected for throwing nuts at African American CNN camera woman + saying ‘This is how we feed animals.’”

It was a GOP attendee [making them categorically a Republican]

BTW -
    President Obama's party would be the least likely to be racist.

• JRJ Pocatello, ID
    Aug. 29, 2012 5:54 p.m.

Poor Happy Valley, I never hear the "N" word from people around me. I thought Mia Love was a mayor in Utah, not from Florida. Are you a leftist or a rightest? What do you mean "To bad the Mit and Mia Hate PBS"? Should you have used better spelling and grammar to say something? I have not figured out what you were trying to say. It's a fact that even the NY Times has admitted to - the main stream media has an opinion and they share it.

• cavetroll SANDY, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 5:59 p.m.

I like how this article singles out MSNBC for not airing these speeches when Fox News, the flagship of conservative news didn't see fit to air the speeches either. If Mia was such a rising star in the Repoublican party, shouldn't Fox air her speech? They replaced it with coverage about the hurricane. Obviously Fox doesn't think too highly of her.

• RRB SLC, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 6:00 p.m.

Mia Love has the Democrats scared.

• Jack Aurora, CO
    Aug. 29, 2012 6:10 p.m.

I must rise to correct a misrepresentation of position. The Republicans was to remove public funding from PBS and while we are at it, Planned Parenthood. These two organizations have already stated that they can operate without federal funding, so why are the taxpayers subsidizing them? This is FAR different than saying the Republicans want to "do away" with the organizations. Please get your facts straight when maligning.

Thanks

• delasalle Sandy, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 6:10 p.m.

Before we all jump to calling it racism, who actually on this board believes anybody outside of Utah knows who Mia Love is and more importantly cares about her. The reason networks would cut away is she is a no-name mayor of a small town in Utah that had an allotted two minutes at the RNC. The ONLY reason she is getting any airtime in the first place is exactly because of the fact that she is black. To suggest that MSNBC is racist because they didn't show her speech is to inject race right back into a discussion that we are complaining about because it includes race. It boggles my mind that people don't see how hypocritical and ironic they are being in their own complaints about racism.

• Mom of Five Orem, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 6:15 p.m.

All I know is that Mia Love looked and sounded like a beautiful, intelligent woman in her speech. I'm sorry it wasn't broadcast; I had to search to find it, but it was well worth the effort.

On another note, as someone whose extended family is pretty evenly split between stauch republicans and ardent democrats, I think I can safely say that no one political party (or party members) has a stranglehold on racism or the lack of it.

• Ridgely Magna, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 6:27 p.m.

I think Mia Love is the perfect symbol of the GOP convention. She is another African American woman who can't vote in Florida.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Aug. 29, 2012 6:45 p.m.

and so it continues...

"I agree that racist attitudes and comments are far more likely from the liberal/left than the conservative/right. For true liberals, any conservative-leaning black, hispanic or other racial minority is a traitor to the cause, and therefore worthy of denunciation in the most vindictive terms."

Regis... based on what? Where the heck does this analysis come from? This "from the depths of Utah" analysis amazes me. Based on what experiences do we make such a broad and wide sweeping statement? The idea that you are making that the republican party is the party of diversity, while the "liberals" reject anyone who doesn't act their race is completely off base. Please provide some basis for these comments.

RBB - Mia Love doesn't have anyone scared. Are you saying it was liberals that infiltrated the RNC that were throwing peanuts to the CNN employee? Really?

Jack... you know were talking about Mia Love right... this has absolutely nothing to do with Planned Parenthood or the PBS funding.... I guess off topic rule doesn't count if your are a conservative commenter.

Good grief - liberals are to blame for what went wrong the RNC convention. Next.

• regis Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 7:01 p.m.

xscribe:

Mia Love as Exhibit A.

Clarence Thomas as Exhibit B.

Or, in terms of conservative women (also not looked upon kindly by the left) Michelle Bachmann. Can you name ANY liberal woman who has been so publicly and gleefully denounced in the most hateful ways as has Congresswoman Bachmann?

• Rita52 ANN ARBOR, MI
    Aug. 29, 2012 7:27 p.m.

I watch C-SPAN for complete coverage of the RNC. No one is cut, not even the band filling in with nice jazz during the inevitable dead spots. I also accept that commercial stations need to cover Isaac (because it is an important story) as well as the convention, so some speeches will get cut. There are many minority Republicans in local-level politics, and I applaud the fact that several of them were given opportunities to speak at their party's convention. What I find most telling is not that some of the minority speeches were cut by Fox, but that EVERY minority speech was cut by MSNBC. There is an obvious agenda there.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Aug. 29, 2012 7:30 p.m.

Regis... emphatically yes...

Hilary Clinton.

Shall we start with quotes from "conservatives" about her?

How about Nancy Pelosi ( i am not a fan of hers BTW)... but in all honesty, you can't tell me you haven't very harsh criticism of her. Really?

I wish I could cut and paste some examples here... but I am sure they would be blocked by the sensors. Will this victimized republicanism ever stop.... I thought the liberals were the party of victims... but recently the republicans have taken it to new levels.

Next question please.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 7:54 p.m.

Good reporting by the Deseret News.

It is amazing how INTOLERANT the liberals are when one any member of "their minority" dares think on their own, or work their way off the liberal welfare plantation. At that point they become totally unhinged and the hatred spills out.

You can tell who the liberals really fear, and it is Mia Love, and people like her.

Matheson may deplore the comments or behavior of those attacking Mia Love, but he continues to caucus and vote with them.

• TheWiz41 Logan, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 8:29 p.m.

Neither of these "news" stations care about current events and their ramifications as much as they care about skewing such events in their direction. These stations specialize in telling people what they want to hear more than anything else.

However, it baffles me that so many people look past MSNBC's blatant bias and harp on Fox News for their spin. It also baffles me that MSNBC didn't show any minority RNC speeches. Why not show them and provide a counter to those statements? Are we really at the point where events aren't being broadcast so the station can put its own spin on things? If that's not putting your own spin on an event, I don't know what is. MSNBC is just as guilty of blatantly spinning things as Fox News is.

I'll wait and see how Fox News treats the DNC.

The likes of MSNBC and Fox News are only helping to polarize Americans in order to further their agendas.

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 8:55 p.m.

@JMT

"Absolutely predictable. The media is hyper-biased."

So rather than condemn the action, you condemn the messenger. Racist acts are reported and suddenly that is the fault of the media?

• Phranc SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 9:02 p.m.

Did any of you railing against liberals actually read the article? I am pretty sure those where not liberals throwing peanuts at the camera man , fox's coverage nearly mirrored other networks converge and no one knows that source of the hack but given the behavior of republicans on the floor of their own convention it is no stretch to think it may have been one of your own.

• SammyB Provo, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 9:29 p.m.

Cavetroll,

I think we have seen over the past year how much Fox News (a few exceptions) hates Romney. It got to the point where I had to watch CNN last winter to get slightly less hateful coverage of Romney. Many times I blogged about outright lies Fox spread about him. Murdock never liked Mitt and his successors who run the network feel the same.

The political spectrum is not truly a straight line but a circle and some of the movers and shakers at the far end of both are often shaking hands where that circle joins.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 10:21 p.m.

Mr. McGee, Mia Love is a mayor. Barack Obama was an absentee partial term senator/community organizer. She was every bit as well qualified as Obama to speak...and delivered a fine speech.

Ma. Chinookdoc, I have also heard some nonsense from my fellow church members. I'm sorry to say, that in my mind, your comments matched theirs as eveidence of a "tortured soul." What I have heard in the convention are success stories from successful Republican governors, from diverse backgrounds, who have worked across the isle, with genuine principle and respect, to get good things done. I prefer this type of respectful, but tough collaboration rather than all the vitriolic rhetoric.

Can't we be Americans who work together to see that the best idea wins?

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 10:24 p.m.

UtahBlueDevil,

No one is asking you questions. But we're glad you're enjoying the dialog with yourself!

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 10:57 p.m.

The day Obama took office Senator McConell and his cronies clearly stated that their objective was to destroy Obama's presidency. And Republicans wonder why Dems and minorities don't trust them. It is time for Republicans to take the high road and start being more civil. Just because the other side does it doesn't mean you have to. They can start by toning down the harsh rhetoric on immigration. Can I please have my party back. Signed a mainstream conservative.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 10:58 p.m.

2nd try

This article is ridiculous. It is really a stretch to include a critique on MSNBC and Fox coverage as an indication of racism.

There is one big difference between Fox and MSNBC. Fox's President and Chairman is Roger Ailes, a GOP operative and media guru. Fox also employs past and present GOP operatives such as Karl Rove, a paid political consultant, who is also the co-founder of 2 of the largest Super PAC groups--American Crossroads and Crossroads GPS.

Racism does exist. Beyond doubt there are white supremacists within the Republican Party. So how do we recognize them and guard against their influence in the political system? Do we see this as a problem?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Aug. 30, 2012 5:45 a.m.

Old Cougar..... just answering the question that was raised.....I am kind of old fashioned, someone raises a question, I give an answer. I forgot.... "conservatives" don't want actual answers, it is way more fun to just make over the top claims and not worry if there are other ways of viewing the problem. My bad.

But thank you for reading and playing along. Maybe next time you can actually comment on something that furthers the discussion then just trying to deride someone without adding much. We will all learn a whole heck of a lot more that way.

But trying to insult... guess that works too... have a nice day now.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 7:11 a.m.

Polls show that Romney statistically speaking has zero, yes zero, percent of the black vote. So yeah, the Republicans have a problem, pointed out by others, and they are proving to be thin-skinned whiners.

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 8:09 a.m.

Racism is beyond the "holier than thou conservatives", and "radical beyond common sense liberals". Racism is ugly, and the result of ignorance, and poor judgement.

Mia is a class act!!! First woman president? She'd have my vote!

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 9:16 a.m.

Based on the Wikipedia hack i read,
    I'd reckon we'll soon discover that the comments were from a local -- i.e., someone in Saratoga Springs, Utah.

There were to many local details mentioned --
    something only a local would know or care about,
    definetly not someone from Michigan or Ohio could possibly be privy to.

• regis Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 9:40 a.m.

UtahBlueDevil:

I admit Hilary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi have been harshly criticized by conservative pundits. But I don't believe the personal nature of the attacks have been anywhere near the level of those directed toward Michelle Bachmann by the liberal side. Just as one example, I heard one panelist on Bill Maher's hatefest discussing the things he would like to do sexually to the congresswoman. Of course, Maher and the audience loved it.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 12:06 p.m.

Texas Republican lawmakers discriminated against minority voters while drawing new political boundaries, a federal court ruled Tuesday, rejecting a plan pushed by the state's GOP leaders in a decision that likely comes too late to affect the November elections but is set to reverberate to 2014.

In some cases, black congressional members in Texas had economic drivers such as sporting arenas freshly carved out of their districts, though "no such surgery" was performed on any belonging to white incumbents, according to the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

"Anglo district boundaries were redrawn to include particular country clubs and, in one case, the school belonging to the incumbent's grandchildren," said U.S. Circuit Judge Thomas Griffith, writing the 154-page opinion for the three-judge panel.

Sounds like Utah legislatures treatment our one Democrat.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 12:21 p.m.

@regus
    of course you do not "believe" it is as harsh because they are people you do not agree with. Personal attacks are wrong no matter who is doing them and rationalizing that "but they do it too," or "they do it worse" is really not much of a defense.

• ksampow Farr West, Utah
    Aug. 30, 2012 12:46 p.m.

The networks have all decided that they would rather present opinion and commentary than actually show what is happening at the convention, unless there is a famous person speaking. Their panels of "experts" or interviews with celebrities cut out many of the speeeches. PBS showed Mia Love's speech, but left out many others. The TV networks are beoming more and more irrelevant, replaced by the internet or other sources of information. And by the way, You don't have to "earn" the right to address the convention through years of experience. Obama was a relative unknown when he addressed the DNC in 2004. Mia Love gave an outstanding, very dynamic speech at the state GOP convention, and thus "earned" the right to speak at the RNC.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 12:48 p.m.

To MVH 4:36 p.m. Aug. 29, 2012

----------------------

Of COURSE not. They would NEVER do anything like that. They would NEVER play "birther" games or make "birher" arguments. Oh . . . wait . . .

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 2:52 p.m.

@chinookdoctor

I find your comments interesting because as a homosexual, and being non-complaint to political correctness, I can definitively say that the most outspoken intolerant people I've dealt with have been "liberal lefty" and the most tolerant have been LDS Republicans (not LDS Liberal).

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 2:55 p.m.

@Furry1993
    "Of COURSE not. They would NEVER do anything like that. They would NEVER play "birther" games or make "birher" arguments. Oh . . . wait ."

Yes oh...wait: birtherism was started by CLINTON supporters
    (and Obama made his own birther jokes but then went all victim when Romney did)

• onewhotries Richmond, VA
    Aug. 30, 2012 6:04 p.m.

I agree with you, delasalle. For those who are, were, watching the RNC, those people of color, be they Black or Hispanic, were there to garner votes from those groups of people; Americans, of like race etc.. With all that's been said about 'taking back America' and making President Obama a "one term president", I should think that most, if not all, who realize this would actually be concerned with whether the Republicans can 'fix' what ails our country, AND, deal with the global issues that are affecting us here in the U.S.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 7:47 p.m.

With the level of vitrol, in all forums (for example: newsprint to periodicals to on-line sites to day time as well as late night radio to evening tv), it could end up that the real winner November 4th, will be the one who loses.

• R JOHNSON Saint George, UT
    Aug. 31, 2012 1:16 p.m.

Mr. Bass: The thing that is inconceivable is that this blatant racism is by liberals, you know, those that are supposedly so "progressive", and so tolerant! All along I thought only republicans were racist, at least that's what MSNBC would have us think.

• firstamendment Lehi, UT
    Sept. 1, 2012 11:45 a.m.

Mia is one of the best people I've ever encountered, and she is certainly far above Matheson and other career politicians. Several have asked for any evidence that liberals are more bigoted than Conservatives. Those who hacked Mia's website said she had "sold out" to the party of "big business." And, go to any comment section and you will see the blatant bigotry of those who have been employed to attack religious persons and "destroy the Utah brand." They tone it down here only because the DN is monitored, but on the Tribune, CNN, CBS, Huff. Post, Yahoo, etc etc, you can post any lie, say any sort of bigoted hateful thing about a Mormon, Catholic etc, and they often remove Conservative comments and block MOrmons trying to explain what they really believe in a kind way.

As for racism among liberals it is prevalent on every level. One of the most powerful and most racist groups today are the liberal activists who are attacking Mormons 24/7 in comment sections, and pressuring our President with threats and their big money. He has caved to their wishes.

I will include some references in my next comment....

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    Sept. 2, 2012 1:35 p.m.

To those who say give us evidence that the liberal left uses racial slurs, how about MSNBC commentators and Demo guests who called her an "Aunt Tom" and a token Black to be tossed away when her fame is used up or the snide nasty remarks of the Black Caucus members about
    Alan West and Mia Love. The Cain haters have quieted but when he was running the comments were vicious. Then MSNBC purposely edits out minority speeches at the RNC convention coverage. Conservative are far from perfect but like the Tea Party their rhetoric is very free from hate and racial slander. This not true of the X-rated signs and rehtoric of the left.

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 2, 2012 9:11 p.m.

If race isn't an issue, why did a recent NBC News poll show that Obama will get 94% of the black vote and Romney will get 0%?