U.S. & World

Poll: Mitt Romney's money sense doesn't trump President Barack Obama's likeability

Comments

• Oh My Heck! Vernal, UT
    July 25, 2012 10:08 a.m.

I personally find very little that is likable about Obama. I listen to the State of the Union speeches because I feel it is important to do so, but it's just about all I can do to not turn off the TV. I can't quite put my finger on what is so annoying about him, but it is there nonetheless. I do not trust him, and I feel he has not been a good President. I know others will differ with my opinion, but this is just that...my opinion.

• CottageCheese SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 25, 2012 10:17 a.m.

This headline sums up exactly what is wrong with this country and why we are STUCK in a recession.

• bikeboy Boise, ID
    July 25, 2012 10:29 a.m.

If "likability" were the most important presidential characteristic, I'd write in SpongeBob Squarepants. He seems very likable... and he's also very sympathetic to the plight of us common folk.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    July 25, 2012 10:30 a.m.

People like O better than R because O understands them. Obama is the real American story, about a mixed-race son of a single mother who pulls himself up by his own efforts and thus understands the plight of the rest of us. Romney cannot possibly relate to most of us. He was born in the end zone and thinks he made a touchdown.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    July 25, 2012 10:38 a.m.

So the very people who voted for Taylor Hicks over Daughtry in American Idol think Obama is more likable, so they vote for Obama. It's no wonder the U.S. is dropping like a heavy brick compared to other nations in math and science...

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    July 25, 2012 10:39 a.m.

irony guy
    try reading the other non obama written books on him and you'll get a real perspective, great destroyer and the amateur

• UtahVoter Spanish Fork, UT
    July 25, 2012 10:43 a.m.

I'm currently not excited about a Presidency from either of them. I find them to be about equally likable. I'd love if Romney would put forth a concrete plan that featured pragmatic "money sense".

Ron Paul put it all on the line with a budget that literally cut $1 trillion -- and did it without pulling the rug out from under anybody's social security or other programs that you just can't cut first day. None of the other candidates have been willing to do that.

I really appreciate Romney's business experience but I've seen very little evidence that he's willing to *apply* it in this particular job. I expect things will remain very similar regardless of which man wins this November.

• YGradFan CENTERVILLE, UT
    July 25, 2012 10:45 a.m.

This amazes me! It's a no-brainer! Do we vote for someone who is "likable", but that has a terrible track record on the economy and unemployment, or do we vote for someone that may not be as "likable" (I hardly consider Romney as "unlikable"), but that has the business sense and knowledge needed to get the economy turned around? Last time I looked, being "likable" doesn't run a country, nor will it improve the economy and turn this country around.

I agree with CottageCheese, electing someone because they are "likable" is exactly the reason the country is where it is today. Electing Obama for another four years because he is "likable" is going to sink us even further.

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    July 25, 2012 11:04 a.m.

This just proves even more how stupid the general public is. We vote for someone we "like" and not someone who is actually ready and able to fix the issues!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2012 11:05 a.m.

There's other reasons to vote for one of these candidates. Maybe people are voting on healthcare, or foreign policy, social issues, etc... or most likely they're voting on a combination of issues. Maybe they think Romney is best to run a business but that that doesn't actually translate to thinking his economic policies are all that good for the middle class and the poor (that's what my position is, I'd trust him to run a venture capital firm but I think his economic policies are horrible).

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 25, 2012 11:14 a.m.

The problem that I have about business is that I think their words don’t mean the same thing to businessmen as they do to working people. For instance, when business uses the word economy they are talking about the business environment. When workers use the word economy they are generally talking about the ability of people to pay the bills.

Business and workers are like the two sides of the same coin. They need each other but are facing in different directions.

If we elect a businessman president, business will prosper and the welfare of workers will be diminished. And since only businessmen can afford to campaign for election there is little chance of electing any one else. Our only option is in choosing the businessman who might be willing to see this nation continue rather than the man with the business philosophy of grab all you can now and run to a new game when this one is exhausted.

I think the degree in which a person claims to be conservative is a good indicator of the bad business philosophy

• RichardB Murray, UT
    July 25, 2012 11:14 a.m.

Rasmussen Reports has it Romney 47% of the vote, Obama earns support from 44%. Five percent (5%) prefer some other candidate, and four percent (4%) are undecided. It's been a tie at 46% for much of the year.

Obama has destroyed our immigration laws by ignoring them, or using an executive order to over ride them (labor laws concerning unlawful aliens working). He has also destroyed the Clinton era welfare reform and returned us back to the 70's. Hillary needs to punch his lights out.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2012 11:43 a.m.

That explains why we are closing in on $16 Trillion of debt. When we make our decisions based solely on "feelings". What we need is someone that can look at the numbers and make decisions that gets the job done, without throwing us off a fiscal cliff.

I understand the bleeding heart and feelings etc. But, you're not helping anyone when the country goes into a great depression and 30-50% of the country is out of work and the other half is working in poverty wages; while the leaders we elect fly around on airplanes we pay for, golfing that we pay for, drink alcohol that we pay for, line their pockets with our money, along with their wealthy friends who they will never raise the taxes on or punish.

Wake up America. Take off the rose colored glasses and see what is happening.

But, history has proven that people will follow their leader, even if it's to their own death along with their children and wife or husband. The whole time being lied to and told that they are on the high and noble path.

It's time to think about dividing the nation.

• Jim Mesa, Az
    July 25, 2012 11:47 a.m.

The Presidents job is not to save his own job, but to save ours. Whoever runs for President, should be prepared to make tough decisions, they should treat the job as if they were one termers, i.e. make the tough decisions to get the country back on track. Not make decisions that may get you re-elected for a second term. However, if you do get re-elected irrespective of tough decisions, more power to you.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    July 25, 2012 11:47 a.m.

@ RichardB

A quick google search will find...

"TIME has described Rasmussen Reports as a "conservative-leaning polling group"

"Rasmussen has received criticism over the wording in its polls. Asking a polling question with different wording can affect the results of the poll"

"Rasmussen's polling results diverged notably from other mainstream pollsters"

"Rasmussen conducted its polls in a way that excluded the majority of the population from answering"

So if Rasmussen is saying that Romney is winning, you can bet that the exact opposite is true.

I think most folks see Romney as a heartless flip flopper CEO that will do whatever is best for himself, NOT for the American people.

Obama's poor job record? Polls show that most Americans understand the situation he was put in. In fact, the Dnews today published a poll that said that Americans believe that we are better off economically today than 4 years ago.

The economy is recovering. Obama will win.

Americans aren't ready to give the keys back to the party who ran us off a cliff (the GOP). Romney's policies is just exactly what Bush's were. We aren't ready for that yet. Sorry.

• Kyle loves BYU/Jazz Provo, UT
    July 25, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Unfortunately, I don't think likeability has made a good president the last 3 1/2 years.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    July 25, 2012 11:56 a.m.

The ONE thing GW Bush and the entire Republican Party has taught america....

Polls don't matter.
    Votes don't matter.

The only thing that matters is this:

The Electoral College needs 270 to win it.

President Obama - 333
    Mitt Romney - 215

Say what you want,
    Believe what you want,
    Dream what you want,

I'm gonna relax and enjoy the show.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2012 12:03 p.m.

@Counter Intelligence
    "I have yet to figure out what it is that people "like" about Obama"

1. He's presided over 28+ straight months of private sector job growth and needed only a year to get us from freefall to gaining jobs.
    2. Ended the Iraq war.
    3. Osama's gone, Afghanistan has a withdrawal timeline.
    4. Libya conflict taken care of with 0 US casulaties.
    5. I support healthcare reform, at least as a step towards what we really need, single-payer.
    6. I believe any deficit reduction plan needs to include tax revenues in addition to spending cuts, Obama agrees.
    7. Compared to the Bush budget for fiscal year 2009 Obama has increased gov't spending at the slowest rate of any president since Eisenhower
    8. DADT repeal, increased gay rights.
    9. I'm pro-choice.
    10. I support alternative energy and environmental regulation.
    11. I think the banks that caused the recession should be more regulated, not less.
    12. I think Medicare should not be dismantled in favor of a different system that the Ryan plan calls for.
    13. Romney wants to give a handout to the banks by returning to the old student loan system.

• Mad Hatter Provo, UT
    July 25, 2012 12:05 p.m.

Yes, we all agree that Mitt Romney is good at making money for himself and his investors. The question is: What is he going to do for people who are not in the investor category? All he says is "Obama is no good, vote for me and I'll do something about the economy!"

But no one knows what he plans to do. Perhaps outsource more jobs to improve corporate profits, downsize and reduce costs for corporations by further eliminating jobs and cut the economic safety net for displaced workers. This is his history. It's the only information we have to go on.

Whether people "like" Obama more than Romney is a non-issue. From what I know and see about Barack Obama, he appears to be very much I person I would like to know personally. Romney is a bit stiff and I don't really know anything about him to say whether I would want to want to know him.

For those like Counter Intelligence (Salt Lake City, UT) and others who have drunk the propaganda of "Obama is too foreign and not like us", I suspect they wouldn't like me either.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2012 12:08 p.m.

@Counter Intelligence, continued
    14. Obama wants to get big money/interests out of gov't, opposes the Citizens United ruling.
    15. Wants military spending cuts, not increases.
    16. Supports jobs bills to help keep teachers and first responders employed.
    17. Supports increased infrastructure spending to keep our infrastructure maintained and create jobs that are still needed so we can bridge the gap until the private sector can fully make up for it.
    18. Doesn't believe in the myth of trickle-down economics.
    19. Oh and yeah, Obama is much more capable of relating/understanding the problems faced by the middle class than Mitt Romney. So yeah I mean I guess likeability is a factor... one of over a dozen.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    July 25, 2012 12:23 p.m.

I still like Jimmy Carter...a lot. I think he's a very decent and good-hearted man.

But the fact is he was a lousy president. Likeable, yes. But the country was sinking fast under his leadership. It would be a huge mistake to have him lead this country again.

The media will play upon whatever feature they believe their candidate can best benefit by. And that's why they're currently trying to play up the "likeability" factor.

But the fact is our current president will rank as one of the worst in history--not for his likeability, but for his handling of major issues during his tenure.

And the worst thing we could do is continue this mess.

As someone said earlier, Spongebob would clobber Obama in likeability. I'd recommend Mickey Mouse.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    July 25, 2012 12:24 p.m.

I think the conclusion for the headline might be a bit off, which is fueling much of these comments. Notice that Obama also wins on the trust issue. That's huge. The fact of the matter is, we cannot know all that a President knows. That's the nature of leadership. If you can't trust the man in charge to make the right decisions with the classified information in front of him, what do you have? There's nothing in the poll that concludes that it is the likeability all by itself. It's an element, sure. But so are social issues, environmental policy, foreign policy acumen, etc. A lot goes into a person's preference for President.

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    July 25, 2012 12:26 p.m.

He, he, he the comments Mitts' aide made re:Anglo-Saxon heritage will not help him gain votes in Nov. either. Mitt and GOP are spectacular train wrecks at the moment which is a very good thing for people who truely love this great and secular nation.

• raybies Layton, UT
    July 25, 2012 12:55 p.m.

we really are a nation of dreamers!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    July 25, 2012 1:04 p.m.

In looking over the survey, I think the big issue is that Obama relates to ordinary people better rather than just being a nice guy. Its the old Bill Clinton line, "I feel your pain."

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    July 25, 2012 1:07 p.m.

It's just amazing that Obama wins the category of "honest and trustworthy." I guess people forgot what he told the Russian leader about his "next term" and about all the "Change We Can Believe In" garbage from his last election rhetoric. He is a good orator; I'll give him that, but "talk is cheap" and he is trying to socialize this country faster than anyone can imagine, along with the help of Pelosi and Reid. How can people forget some of the incredible statements these folks have made over the past 3 1/2 years and find them to be "honest and trustworthy?" It boggles one's mind.....literally!

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    July 25, 2012 1:11 p.m.

Maybe we don't know enough about Romney----particularly those who have little understanding of what happens on an LDS mission in regards to personal growth and development or serving as a Bishop or Stake President and serving others, which I can discount as being unenlightened----but I'm afraid we know TOO MUCH about Obama! (And his Chicago style of politics like having a tax cheat for the Secretary of the Treasury, etc.) Trutworthy---Obama-----are you kidding me?

• m.g. scott LAYTON, UT
    July 25, 2012 1:24 p.m.

A useless pole because it is "registered" voters. The only poll that has any real meaning is "likely voters".

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2012 1:31 p.m.

I wonder what our economy needs?

1) someone with money sense

2) someone who is fun to hangout with

• Ali'ikai 'A'amakualenalena Provo, UT
    July 25, 2012 1:32 p.m.

The only thing we know about Mitt Romney is that he is going to make things better for corporations and the wealthy. Than is Job One. Everything else is secondary to that primary objective in a Romney administration. Of course, he "believes" that the added wealth he provides to his major supporters will eventually "trickle down" to the lower classes. Jobs will come back (at lower wages and benefits, certainly) and American business will be more profitable and we'll be back to "business as usual" with decreased regulations and lower taxes on upper-income Americans.

In this way, Romney will find his "likability" index increase with his core constituency although the social conservatives will probably not like him any more than they do now. Since they will vote for "Anyone but Obama", in their heart they continue to think, "Anyone but Romney!"

Republicans have worked diligently to make Obama a pariah, but they ended up with Romney as their Golden Warrior who they didn't expect and didn't want. Most conservatives today can only stomach Romney because they have been convinced to dislike Obama more. It's been a dubious strategy. Now they have to "like" Romney more!

• RichardB Murray, UT
    July 25, 2012 1:50 p.m.

The Real Maverick
    Time is a liberal shield. They put their "undocumented Americans" cover up, a few days before Obama made his speech about giving adults 30 and under amnesty (allowing them to stay and work is amnesty). It was too perfect to be coincidence.

Any American that pulls the rug out from under starving Americans and gives it to foreign citizens, is not likeable.

I look ahead, and see a better world for my grandchildren with Romney. With Obama I see a President that can't work with Congress. He is not a consensus builder, he uses his "executive" order like a dictator. And he believes and is working towards an open border country. One that will destroy this countries sovereignty. With Romney we might get back to where we were, with Obama we are looking at the beginning of the end of our country as we know it. Without enforced borders (including enforcement inside the country for those that make it through) we are not a country anymore. We are a dying civilization in upheaval.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    July 25, 2012 1:52 p.m.

The Real Maverick
    flip-flopper?

"With respect to the notion that I can just suspend deportations through
    executive order, that’s just not the case, because there are laws on
    the books that Congress has passed."
    -Barack Obama March 27, 2011

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2012 2:28 p.m.

@toosmartforyou
    "I guess people forgot what he told the Russian leader about his "next term""

He said that it'd be easier to get Congress to pass things like nuclear arms reduction treaties after the elections are over. I'm not sure what's wrong with that statement since it's completely factual. He got the new START treaty passed during the lame duck session in 2010 after the elections.

@Counter Intelligence
    "I just disagree with you on many of them"

That's fine, I just wanted to establish that people are supporting him for more than "I think he's more likable".

@Richard B
    "With Obama I see a President that can't work with Congress."

What do you expect from a guy when the senate minority leader says his number one priority is to make Obama a one term president and when tea party members were voted in explicitly on a platform of obstruction? I can accept an argument that says neither side is working well, but Romney won't change that either. Democrats can use the filibuster just as well as Republicans can now that Republicans have set a precedent for using it on everything.

• SLars Provo, UT
    July 25, 2012 2:33 p.m.

Washington Post-ABC News Poll: Among those surveyed, 55 percent said Obama will be a one-term president while only 35 percent say he will win re-election.

Support for Obama among African Americans has dropped, plummeting 25 percentage points in the same Washington Post-ABC news poll.

Bloomberg National Poll: More than 50 percent of Americans say they are worse off now than they were two years ago when Obama took office, and two-thirds believe the country is headed in the wrong direction.

His putting his re-election first by trying to buy votes, instead of doing what's right shows he is not a very trustworthy person. You can add his lying about immigration deportations also.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2012 2:38 p.m.

Everyone loves to hear what they want to hear. Tell me lies. Tell me sweet little lies.

Atlas Shrugged was written about this very situation.

We are living it.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2012 2:39 p.m.

Each day closer to November elections bring out more and more desperation from the lamestream press.

They're committed to the re-election of Obama, and obviously will do ANYTHING they can to make that happen.

Sometimes its "polls" that only poll Democrats, sometimes its "push" polls; i.e. "would you rather vote for Obama or have a root canal" - surprise, surprise on the results!

Sadly, many Americans still put faith and trust in "polls".

In most cases the polling companies are being PAID to provide the results desired by a particular political agenda.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    July 25, 2012 2:59 p.m.

If you're shackled with debt, you don't have freedom to choose.

The Gadiantons are turning America into a Corporatocracy - an economic and political system controlled by corporations or corporate interests.

The 1% wants America shackled with debt.

People in debt feel hopeless.
    Hopeless people don’t vote.

They don't want people to feel empowered.
    So, I think there are two ways in which they control the masses.

First of all, frighten people,
    and secondly, demoralize them.

An educated, healthy, wealthy and confident nation is harder to govern.

They don’t want people to be educated, healthy, debt-free and confident, because they would get out of control."

The top 1 % of the world's population own 80% of the world's wealth.
    It's incredible that people put up with it quite frankly, but most of us are poor, we're demoralized, too many are frightened.

And therefore, many just think perhaps the safest thing to do is to take orders from the beast they are in-debted too and hope for the best.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 25, 2012 5:14 p.m.

Yes! Criticizing small successful business owners for "thinking they're smart" and "being hard workers" is really likeable.

Treating the American people like crooks is cool.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 25, 2012 5:45 p.m.

LDS Liberal,

And Barack Obama is part of that one percent.

I don't get you. You keep defending people in that one percent like:

Clinton
    Al Gore
    Ted Kennedy
    Obama
    Nancy Pelosi
    Harry Reid
    etc.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    July 25, 2012 7:51 p.m.

@atl134
    Great Presidents can bring compromise and build consensus among the legislature and parties to get things done. They know how to work with others, they don't always get their way. But they make the effort.

Obama doesn't play well with other people. He gets mad when opposed, and instead of trying to work it out, he uses the back door to get his way. I want a President that can work with others, even if they disagree. That man is not Obama.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2012 11:47 a.m.

President Obama

Ended the war in Iraq
    Ended Don't ask, don't tell
    Passed Healthcare reform so now Americans cannot be dropped from their insurance
    Cleaned up BP
    Recalled half our troops in Afghanistan
    Promoted jobs for Veterans
    Promotes marriage and mongamy
    Put forth various jobs bill that the GOP House shoots down
    And got Osama Bin Laden?

His opposition?

Sends jobs overseas.

No contest.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 26, 2012 11:17 p.m.

With the stimulus, Obama sent billions to China and Japan to build windmills, than billions more to a bankrupt Australian company to build a windmill farm in Texas.

Billions more were sent to Finland, Mexico, Brazil, Pakistan, etc, to build up their economies.

Sorry folks, but this wasn't Romney.