U.S. & World

Mitt Romney economic adviser makes waves, provokes President Obama

Comments

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    June 25, 2012 12:56 p.m.

From the article:

"Germany's Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble is telling President Barack Obama to get his own house in order rather than pushing Europe to speed up its efforts to ease the debt crisis. 'Mr. Obama should first of all take care of reducing the American deficit, which is higher than in the euro zone,' he told a broadcaster interviewer."

AMEN!

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    June 25, 2012 1:07 p.m.

And I think traditionally the notion has been that America's political differences end at the water's edge." predident yomama said this? you have got to be kidding. this from thevsame guy that bad mouths the US in foreign countries. how hypocritical. six months and bo is gone.

• ouisc Farmington, UT
    June 25, 2012 1:19 p.m.

Didn't Senator Obama berate President George W. Bush internationally and publicly during his presidential campaign? All we had to do was practice diplomacy with Iran and North Korea?

President Obama's words about politics staying within the U.S. is very hypocritical. The President's lashings are becoming as random as his bailouts. I'm already looking forward to who the President will lash out at next, and on what grounds!

• Simple Man Riverton, UT
    June 25, 2012 1:24 p.m.

Well duh! Finally...it takes a foreign finance minister to so shockingingly reveal the elephant in the room.

Obama's strategy...keep 'em thinking it's alway's everyone else's fault!

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    June 25, 2012 1:33 p.m.

Hubbard is among the most conventional of U S economists. Like the rest of them "he didn't see it coming."

• Esquire Springville, UT
    June 25, 2012 1:44 p.m.

The Republican model gave us this recession. Romney has hired the same folks to advise him. No thanks.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    June 25, 2012 1:47 p.m.

Oh, in follow up, Glenn Hubbard was the mastermind behind the Bush policies that failed so miserably. Have they forgotten the vicious recession that we are trying to escape? Will the GOP never learn? Now they want to do it again? Are you kidding me?

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    June 25, 2012 1:56 p.m.

Bush tried to fix the housing problem, but nanci and harry had different ideas and so they blocked a fix at every turn. It was the housing that finally tanked the U.S. Puleeese get your facts straight.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    June 25, 2012 1:58 p.m.

Seriously, what doesn't provoke Pres. Obama? And since when did he adhere to politics doesn't ends at the waters? Is he even for real? How many times has he campaigned against the GOP overseas? Not only him but his administration.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    June 25, 2012 2:01 p.m.

So according to the conservatives here...

When Obama or his top advisors say something attention-grabbing about an important policy issue, it's absolutely political and not to be taken seriously.

But, when Romney or his top advisors say something attention-grabbing about an important policy issue, it's absolutely non-political and we have to take it seriously.

Do I have that right?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    June 25, 2012 2:03 p.m.

Wait - Obama and Biden have this all figured out.. I thought?? Isn't China the answer? I mean all we have to do is borrow more money from China - the bottomless money pit. Right? Yes pass that new stimulus and just borrow the money from our Chinese friends. Pretty simple.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    June 25, 2012 2:10 p.m.

Stockton, California is set to declare bankruptcy as early as this week. To bad they didn't follow the example of Republican Governor Scott Walker in Wisconsin before it was too late. Spending money a person (or government) doesn't have is the recipe for bankruptcy. California is on track to follow the lead set by the cities of Stockton and Vallejo.

• achick47 Abilene, TX
    June 25, 2012 2:32 p.m.

Interestingly the comments in favor of OB blame someone else for the US problems, could this be the mindset of the Dem's? Of course every Presidents has caused a rise in taxes and a lower economy just because America is changing and as OB said "Change" is expected. However the voters should hold each administration accountable. This one seem to think they are "NOT" accountable for anything, they choose to spend more and more instead of letting large companies to either change or fail and let other companies take their place as they did before "bailouts".

• achick47 Abilene, TX
    June 25, 2012 2:33 p.m.

Then there is a President who says I and my administration czars know nothing of "fast and Furious"; but I am evoking Executive Privilege so no one can be held accountable for it. I so hate when a duly elected President bows ans scrapes to Islamist leaders,try to cut deals with Communist leaders and say's I am ashamed of America and all She stands for.Of course I am proud to support the Office OB holds but now it is time for "change" and to give America back to the people so we who work and live with pride in America have a say in what is done with our taxes and what the Legislative branches can do with our full knowledge not behind closed doors

• achick47 Abilene, TX
    June 25, 2012 2:33 p.m.

. As to who is the next Presidents is that will be the voters decision. Personally my vote will go to Romney and I will expect him to conduct his time in office openly within the boundary's given in the Constitution. As for OB and his wife may God have mercy on their souls.
    My name is Angel Chick and I stand behind what I say and believe. I will always give my name with my opinions and wish others would also, alas most prefer to hide and not be open to others opinions.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    June 25, 2012 3:44 p.m.

achick: I used to give my name but I once spoke out on an issue and ended up with a couple of phone calls from angry respondents and a letter sent to my home. The responses did not want to discuss or debate but to intimidate me by cursing and threatening. I didn't mind so much but I will not put my family at risk when there are so many crazies in the world today. It rattled me enough that I appreciate the anonymity.

• Californian Santa Ana, CA
    June 25, 2012 4:13 p.m.

What's so odd about this is that a noted, credentialled American professor wrote an article which was published in a German paper. People like this write articles in papers and journals all the time. They give opinions. Why is President Obama so up in arms about that? "There is only one President." Nobody said there wasn't. Are dissenting ideas now forbidden? The President's narcissism is showing again.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    June 25, 2012 4:16 p.m.

Obama is easily provoked when he doesn't get his way.

What kind of president would spend a ton of tax payer money for vacations? Now he wants wedding, and birthday presents given to him.

Romneys adviser, and the rest of America should be provoked.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    June 25, 2012 4:16 p.m.

Saw an interview with Glen Hubbard on one of the documentaries about the financial collapse "To Big to Fail" I think. He had difficulty seeing something as a conflict of interest, which to my mind very clearly was. The guy may be smart but did not impress me. Anybody but OBama or Romney.

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    June 25, 2012 4:28 p.m.

The recession that we are presently in is solely the responsibility of the Democratic Party, principally Barney Frank and Christopher Dodd whose policies, adopted by all Democrats, pushed us into the '08 Housing bubble which we still feel the affects of today. President Obama has exacerbated our fiscal crisis by adding debt on programs that don't and never have worked. The Germans have every right to tell Obama to get his house in order. Unfortunately, too many people like to drink the kool-aid of deficit spending to create economic growth. It never has worked and that is why we have a fiscal crisis today and need a course correction. This presidential election is critical and we have to elect Romney if we are to prevent becoming Europe. Otherwise, this recession will only deepen and throw us into a Depression.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 25, 2012 6:09 p.m.

What is completely unbelievable about this is that we have two sides on here blaming the other - Republicans take no RESPONSIBILITY for the events that led up to this... and the Democrats take no RESPONSIBILITY for the the mediocre results to date.

To the Republicans, the problem we have is that 40% of our US economy is dependent on trade with Europe. What exactly is your plan to fix that. Deregulating everything isn't going to spur demand overseas..... so what is your answer. How is magic man Romney going to fix the problems in the Eurozone that are causing sluggish growth now? What is super clear based off of the numbers published by the DN, the only companies that added jobs while owned by Bain were near minimum wage jobs (Dominos and Staples). All the others shed jobs. How is that going to fix our problems. I don't get all the chest pumping going on... Romney was 47th in job growth while leading MA.

Same issues with Obama. He has proven his foreign policy skills - even if some are too deeply vested into partisan rhetoric to admit it. But failed to build bipartisan support.... and thats an issue.

• Dadof5sons Montesano, WA
    June 25, 2012 6:34 p.m.

American Politics end at the waters edge When it goes against the Narcissist and chief. and makes him look stupid by someone else. When he does it just fine on his own.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    June 25, 2012 7:29 p.m.

Bailouts just kick the can down the road and do nothing to fix the real problem; run away government spending and massive debt! Obama and the Demoborrowers have no clue!

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    June 25, 2012 11:45 p.m.

"And I think traditionally the notion has been that America's political differences end at the water's edge." said the man who campaigned in Berlin and Cairo.

I remember Democrats going to Saddam Husein's Iraq to show their protest against the war.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    June 26, 2012 12:04 a.m.

President Oblama's game...

Hope and change is now deflect and blame.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    June 26, 2012 8:31 a.m.

The problem with the handout system that even the car makers and bankers have partaken of that process and even touting that they have done a great deal for our country. The bankers used to be men and women of integrity and now they are part of the loan shark mentality of take and take with suits on. The profitability is what they are after and not helping people, or at least with the appearance of helping. They will paint a house for someone once a year to make sure they have their logo bank shirts on as they are doing it. The Chase debacle in Europe is a tale of two continents that have learned how to fall, and from each other. In the scriptures the people in Saul's time wanted to have a king just as the neighboring countries had. They were told by God that was not good. They kept on pleading and finally He gave in and allowed them. Are we doing the same with our moral and ethical values? Our financial or economic woes do come from our living style. Did the bankers loan money because the government said to? They wanted our money

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2012 8:40 a.m.

So you would think that if conservatives had such a strong hand they wouldn't have to lie so much about President Obama's record. Do they really think that if you repeat a lie often enough people will believe it? Well yeah, actually, I guess there are many people who do believe the lies just because they have heard them repeated so much. Well, they are still lies.

It seems to me conservatives might just be getting a tad desperate. All the lies, all the slander, all the constant attacks and derogatory language aimed at President Obama, and he still leads in the polls.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2012 9:24 a.m.

Romney will be forced by the tea party to be an isolationist.

• musiqmike Werder, Germany
    June 26, 2012 9:43 a.m.

Oh, the hypocrisy of Mr. Obama! I was over here in Germany and watched the live broadcast of his speech to the German and European peoples that he gave from Berlin on July 24, 2008 to a crowd of 240,000 people, outlining his policies, decrying Bush, and basically trying to make everyone here who had no part in the election process get warm fuzzies. He knew perfectly well what he was doing, speaking from the same place where Kennedy said, "Ich bin ein Berliner", where Reagan said, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!". Now one of Romney's aides merely writes an article and Mr. President is up in arms. I guess politics tends to be the epitome of hypocritical actions, though: "It's only okay when I do it--not you!"

• Leesha Kearns, UT
    June 26, 2012 12:18 p.m.

Mark:
    I am in the dark here. I am a conservative, and open minded.

• Semper Fi Bakersfield, CA
    June 26, 2012 12:53 p.m.

Unfortunately, the dominoes are going down because the world, and America explicitly now, have ignored their Creator and God. Refusing to read all the warnings and predictions in the Bible, specifically in Daniel and Revelation, have led to clueless/amoral/foolish politics and fiscal idiocy.

It isn't just our trade with Europe, which is huge, it's also our funding obligations to the IMF. Little banks (Greece, Spain, Portugal, etc.) are underwritten by the bigger banks (Germany, France, etc.,) which the U.S.A. supports all. Why isn't this part of the equation being discussed by our President? Few Americans know why we should be concerned about Greece, Spain and Italy's failures. But they can sure tell you who won American Idol, Dancer, Basket/Football, etc. Or where Lindsay Lohan partied....

The entire world is ready for the Anti-Christ and his financial "solution". I only hope that whoever graces our White House this November will carefully read the book they (both) claim to believe in. At least read Revelation, for a blessing is promised to both those who read and those who hear the "words of this book." (Rev.1:3)

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2012 8:38 p.m.

"Oh, the hypocrisy of Mr. Obama! I was over here in Germany and watched the live broadcast of his speech to the German and European peoples that he gave from Berlin on July 24, 2008 to a crowd of 240,000 people, outlining his policies, decrying Bush. . ."

Musiqmike, I remember watching that speech, and I just went and read the transcript. I found no references to President Bush at all. Could you show us where President Obama was "decrying Bush"?

-"Mark:
    I am in the dark here. I am a conservative, and open minded.
    Fill us in on the specifics of the lies and slander being perpetuated by the Republicans?"

Leesha, you're kidding, right? Have you not read the comments on this thread? I'll leave it to you to see if you can find the lies and slander on this thread. It really should not be difficult if you know about current events and recent history.