Faith

News analysis: Just 18 percent express anti-Mormon voting bias in new Gallup poll

Comments

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    June 22, 2012 12:59 p.m.

NOT voting for a man just because he is a Mormon is just as dumb as voting for the man just because he IS a Mormon. Sadly, we will have both types of people in this country.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    June 22, 2012 1:10 p.m.

I am, however, anti republican.

• JAHS vacaville, ca
    June 22, 2012 1:44 p.m.

An interesting observation is that almost all news article headlines about this, report that 18 % would not vote for a Mormon. I actually found one article with a headline that said "80 percent of Americans would support Mormon for president‎". ie. Glass is half full (or 80% full).

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 22, 2012 1:44 p.m.

I wonder what percent have an anti black American bias....?

"The poll also found that 43 percent of Americans do not even know Romney is a Mormon."

Wow, doesn't that say something. Talk about taking the stance of "standing for something".

What an opportunity lost. People should be voting for him because of his morals, not because of unidentifiable morals.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 3:34 p.m.

What was the anti-Catholic bias against JFK? Those biased against Mormons are either the far left or the extreme religious fundamentalists. Romney doesn't want to be associated with either.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    June 22, 2012 3:41 p.m.

So much for "exposure". Almost half the nation doesn't know he's mormon. I'd be interesed in how many Americans actually know what mormon is.

The last time the nation took interest in a 1% niche religion is when donny and marie were on TV.....35 years ago.

• Kevin Langemeier Omaha, NE
    June 22, 2012 4:17 p.m.

Actually anyone that would understand the truth of Mormonism will see them as Christians

• floridian navarre, fl
    June 22, 2012 4:20 p.m.

Hey, DN, your headline seems rather odd, no? "Just" 18%, when it was only 17% before. And, does "just" mean you think it is good. Methinks something like "One in five express anti-Mormon..." would have been better.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    June 22, 2012 4:25 p.m.

to Hemlock: A candidate running for office would accept the votes of anyone if the opportunity presented itself, even if they publicly returned a donation. All votes count the same.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 4:41 p.m.

@UtahBlueDevil
    "I wonder what percent have an anti black American bias....?"

I think polls from Gallup had that at around 5%.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    June 22, 2012 6:41 p.m.

Just??? So how would society look at us if "just 18%" would not vote for a person because he is black? I would consider both being very close minded. So when I vote for Romney, it won't be because he is a Mormon and Obama is black, it will be because I want someone to save this economy and to get our nation back in a safe zone. I want someone that other nations fear, not mock at.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    June 22, 2012 8:31 p.m.

Now how many told the truth in the poll?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    June 22, 2012 8:42 p.m.

Alt134 - if those numbers are current, that is indeed great news. In the 2008 election the numbers ranged from 17-19, about the same range. Probably the same people as well. Go figure....

"I want someone that other nations fear, not mock at."

Ummmm, first of all who is mocking the current president? When was the last time you heard North Korea, Iran, or Venezuela kick sand out way? They made it a regular practice during the last administration. Bush Senior, Clinton, Reagan, all "respected" internationally. Bush the Second was not. So lets be real careful what we are after here. If the goal is to intimidate our enemies, long term we will have big issues with China. Economically in the future we will have a hard time matching their economic potential simply because of the numbers of people\citizens in play. We would be far better off if our fellow nations respected us, not feared us.

Even under Reagan, terrorist neither feared nor respected us... and were not afraid to strike at us. Under Bush II, again, no fear, despite the pounding they took. Respect provides far more leverage than fear. Fear should be the last resort.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    June 22, 2012 9:22 p.m.

"I want someone that other nations fear"

I find that sad. And you wonder why other nations want nuclear weapons.

I want someone that other nations respect.

• zabivka Orem, UT
    June 22, 2012 9:28 p.m.

@mojules -- That is hardly a fair comparison. A person's religious background influences his or her decisions in everyday life. Mitt can change is religious ideology, but he cannot change his ethnicity. If I had it my way, we'd have an agnostic in the White House. Then we could end all the whining about the president's religion.

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    June 23, 2012 8:24 a.m.

Most of the people I know have more of a problem with Romney's tendency to tell tall tales and flip-flop than where he goes to church. As columnist, Michael Cohen, for The Guardian points out, in his June 21st column, "Mendacious Mitt", "the United States has never been witness to a presidential candidate, in modern American history, who lies as frequently, as flagrantly and as brazenly as Mitt Romney." Not exactly an article of faith with any religion that I know of.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    June 23, 2012 9:05 a.m.

If the 5% anti black Americans bias is true, why the heck democrats kept playing the race card?

"There is evidence of noise in the poll based on the fact 25 percent of Democrats said they would not vote for a Mormon..." How does this explain why they are in love with Harry Reid, the Mormon?

To say that you vote for someone just because he is Mormon is no worse than voting for someone because he is black or white. Blacks are very Opinionated folks and to vote 95%+ Obama tells you it is racial but let's not forget that whites overwhelmingly voted for Obama too. Like MLK said, let's judge the man on the content of his character not the color of his skin or religion.George Bush is not Mormon, Harry Reid is yet Mormons overwhelming support Bush and oppose Reid, it's not about religion is it?

• Samaritan01 Yuma, CO.
    June 23, 2012 10:25 a.m.

Imagine if you will someone who openly acknowledges being prejudiced against Blacks or Hispanics, Catholics, Presbyterians, etc.. Now imagine that 18% of the population bears that same exact prejudice, this is not good news for Latter-Day Saints however it may be better than expected.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2012 11:45 a.m.

@Utah Blue Devil
    Actually I'll look up full results, this is a very old poll, a Gallup one from 2007. There may be some disparity between "unwilling to vote for" in the poll I'm using and "less likely to vote for" that other polls use.
    Willing to vote for...
    Catholic: 97% liberal 94% conservative
    Black: 95%L 92%C
    Jewish: 93%L 91%C
    Woman: 96%L 82%C
    Hispanic: 92%L 84%C
    Mormon: 75%L 66%C (this is pre-prop 8 a huge reason, along with Romney being the nominee, for the reversal of late)
    Married 3 times (Giuliani): 74%L 60%C
    72yr old (McCain): 59%L 63%C (this is why anti-mormonism didn't cost it for Romney, McCain had the bigger handicap)
    Gay: 81%L 36%C
    Atheist: 67%L 29%C

Yeah, old people was the only category at the time conservtives were more willing to vote for than liberals. Now that Mormons switched one can see that everyone is more willing to vote for those that are more likely to be of their political persuasion.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Right after I sent that in I was thinking "wait, if this article is from a Gallup poll...that means there's a new one." This time though it's Democrat-Indepdent-Republican
    Black: 97%D 95%I 95%R
    Woman 97%D 96%I 92%R
    Catholic 95%D 92%I 97%R
    Hispanic 94%D 89%I 93%R
    Jew 92%D 89%I 95%R
    Mormon 72%D 79%I 90%R
    LGBT 82%D 68%I 56%R
    Muslim 69%D 58%I 47%R
    Atheist 58%D 56%I 48%R

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2012 11:59 a.m.

@t702
    "Blacks are very Opinionated folks and to vote 95%+ Obama tells you it is racial but let's not forget that whites overwhelmingly voted for Obama too"

First off, what you should be noting is that Kerry got roughly 90% of the black vote, so it's mostly a Democratic preference rather than a racial one though he did get a few extra points for being black. Consider that Romney has 80% of the LDS vote in a recent poll, this is pretty similar since something like 70-75% of LDS members vote Republican anyway so Romney being LDS gets him a few extra points, just like Obama.

Second, Obama won the election 53-47 while having about 2/3 of hispanics, a majority of asians and 90+% of black voters so by default he had to have less than 53% of the white vote which is not "overwhelming white support".

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    June 26, 2012 8:55 a.m.

All you have to do to look at some polls and their results is watch Jay Leno on the street asking people the basic dumb questions and those educated people not knowing the answer. In the 1950s and 60s even Readers Digest aimed at their audience at an 8th grade level. Just because this is the United States of America, doesn't mean that we are smart.

I have noticed that some of President Obama's speeches are sounding by the tone of voice very much like Jeremiah Wright's type of voice and demeanor. That type of preaching is a way for the President to bring in religion through the tone of voice. The President has always spoken down to us as a nation, but now he is using his preaching voice for his campaigning.

People don't always know what religion means in today's world. They can't hear because of the noise around them, whether in Utah or other places. The President will bring in what he thinks is religion to motivate people. I looked at the people in Egypt who have not had freedom and they want a revolution. President Obama went there criticizing USA

• SLC gal Salt Lake City, UT
    June 26, 2012 11:39 a.m.

These articles are disgusting.No wonder we as a nation are in trouble when we look at superficial things, but not the content of their character.

(I know for many, religion is so NOT superficial, but there are different levels everywhere you go. Harry Reid is a Mormon, and Southern CA would have to be absolutely encased in ice and snow before I'd vote for him).

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    July 9, 2012 4:01 p.m.

Sadly, Romney strikes me as a phony. Unlike Obama, who may go overboard with his intellectual, nuanced dialogue, Romney's blithe statements like, "Iran will have a bomb under an Obama administration, under a Romney administration, they will not." defy a rational justification. Uh, how you gonna do that, Mitt?

Here is a quote from a prof I used to know: "There is a great surplus of simple answers, but a huge shortage of simple questions." Romney speaks only to the simple. Hoping they will believe him, forgetting that he is 180 degrees off from his 2008 campaign. I remember. I campaigned for the 2008 Romney.

I'll vote for the 2012 Obama.

• Janie4 Boise, ID
    Sept. 20, 2012 2:16 p.m.

Kevin LANGEMEIER: You have stated the problem precisely. Many, and as many more learn of the teachings of Mormonism, have learned Mormonism is not Christianity. I think the fact that Mormons in the last few years have decided to try and move toward inclusion in Christianity is why there is 18% to begin with. The Mormon faith is what it is but it is not Christianity and that is why so many Christians have a problem with this election. Even as Liberty University welcomed Mitt Romney to speak at the 2012 convocation, the school teaches Mormonism as a cult. This creates great unrest in Christian voters. I am afraid many voters may just not vote because they believe they have no moral choice. It is unfortunate the GOP embraced a Mormon candidate. Prejudice aside, this Presidential race and what is at stake in our country is just too close for the GOP to have taken this path.