Utah

Comparing compensation: Raise for Canyons superintendent outpaces other district chiefs

Comments

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 21, 2012 8:25 p.m.

This is outrageous!

The Canyons School Board must be replaced as they come up for election!

Given the history of his contentious behavior, the bloated spending (necessitating $15 million in custs with no apparent reduction in education results), the Superintendent's compensation is already excessively generous both in base salary, benefits, raise and bonus.

Public officials should not be getting paid vastly more than the people they work for!

We need NEW School Board members who will cut the Superintendent's pay by 25% immediately and cancel ALL automatic increases. And, voters need to vote AGAINST any property tax increases for Canyones School District, given their history of wasteful and bloated spending.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    June 21, 2012 9:44 p.m.

Those are some pretty ugly numbers. Forcing five days without pay and other cuts, and then giving all those bucks to one person is pretty bad stuff. I concur that the coming elections must be used to purge the district of the Doty friendly school board and then Doty himself.

Wonder how many new books for classrooms his big buck increase could have purchased? Money for Doty and cutbacks on books for kids. Everything is wrong with that picture!

• Southern Phoenix, AZ
    June 22, 2012 12:23 a.m.

Not worth it.

• EJM Herriman, UT
    June 22, 2012 12:59 a.m.

We tried to talk folks out of voting for the district split but people drank the koolaid. When will the Canyons School District patrons realize that you have a golden opportunity now to do the right thing and that is when school board elections come up that you vote out the current board and bring in a new board that will "right the ship"?

• Wyomex Burlington, WY
    June 22, 2012 7:17 a.m.

Like the old cowboy said: "If we could buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth, we'd all be rich."

• Seek to understand Sandy, UT
    June 22, 2012 8:47 a.m.

As a Canyons District parent I am grateful to have such a competent Superintendent and I thank our Board for not bowing to the voice of a few malcontents with regard to Mr. Doty's employment.

Superintendent Doty has proven himself able to be a strong leader in the face of much contention in a new district with several different strong factions. He is just what we needed for this transition to a new district and he had done a phenomenal job.

He made the teachers angry this spring, so there is a witch hunt on and the news doesn't print his accomplishments or interview those of us who really know and understand how his leadership has been a great asset to our students and our schools.

I am disappointed that whenever Superintendent Doty is brought up in the news it sounds like common neighborhood gossip. No wonder he won't give you an interview DNews - you have not proven yourself worthy of his time and I see that as just one more reason to applaud his intelligence and good character.

• SpaceCowboy69 Syracuse, UT
    June 22, 2012 9:19 a.m.

Who says there is no money in education?? Yet all we hear is the taxpayers don't pay enough. From now on, tell your kids to grow up to be a doctor, lawyer, school superintendent.

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    June 22, 2012 9:42 a.m.

DNews is "not worthy of his time?" I think that "Seek to Understand" does not comprehend the duty of an administrator. His economic status seems to have inspired some sort of reverence that is disproportionate to your obvious disdain for the poorly compensated "malcontents" and "angry teachers." The classroom is where the rubber meets the road, in education. Canyons' Superintendent pads his own generous pay package, while overseeing a mere 1% increase, below the cost of living, on some of the lowest-paid teachers in the nation. Attitude reflects leadership. If you truly "seek to understand," try talking to some of the teachers, and support staff, in your district. You might learn something.

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:23 a.m.

There seems to be a strange infatuation of the Canyon District school board for Superintendent Doty. They seem to have little interest in the students and teachers in their school district but have a need to reward and revere their "leader." Maybe they need some psychological testing from one of their school psychologists.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:39 a.m.

Obviously the school "board" (I use the term loosely)aren't doing their due diligence.

I've known a few of these highly paid, professional administrators. The one thing they're good at is convincing a "board" of their invincibility. Their "skill sets", usually aren't anywhere near how well they can convince the "boards" of their "vast skills".

Another way to look at a position like this is: if they paid someone HALF his salary, exactly what would be the result?
    Be specific please.

Conversely, if they pd. someone TWICE his salary, would they get someone TWICE as good?

How, why?

Salaries like these in the public sector defy logic!

• donburi South Jordan, UT
    June 22, 2012 11:13 a.m.

A school board and superintendent that appear to be benefiting each other at the expense of the school district they have a responsibility to support is very troubling at the very least, and probably need to be investigated. When it comes to teachers/students they seem to often have the attitude of "It's about us, not them" when it absolutely should be the opposite. Their refusal as public servants to do interviews is a concern. What are they trying to hide?

I want to move to Sandy/Draper area, but I'm not making a move as long as the current administration is in power (and POWER seems to be the key word). I hope that a board with common sense who will take a stand and do what's best for the teachers and students will be voted in.

"Seek to Understand" - please provide full disclosure about your relationship with Doty and the Board. You can't seriously think that with all the teacher discontent in the Canyons district that there isn't a serious problem with the administration. Why would any parent support that kind of atmosphere that their children are a part of?

• Leesha Kearns, UT
    June 22, 2012 12:26 p.m.

Seek To Understand:Somehow, I don't think that is why Doty wont give the Deseret News an interview. And I don't know how you figure rest of that..?
    Quality of education all boils down to what happens in the classroom, not what happens in the superintendents office. It's funny, when I taught, I didn't even know who the superintendent was, nor do I know who the superintendent is in the district my kids attend. Everyone knows who Doty is, and none of what we know is complementary!

• EJM Herriman, UT
    June 22, 2012 12:53 p.m.

@Seek to Understand: your comments about Superintendent Doty not giving the DNews time for an interview because it is not "worthy" is quite possibly the scariest thing I have read here in a very long time. Here we have one of the most conservative newspapers in the country run by the LDS Church and it is not deemed worthy of interviewing a public servant, a man who is being paid with taxpayer dollars? Was there a memo I missed reading that said public officials get to hide?

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    June 22, 2012 1:16 p.m.

I am a teacher. I love my job, but it's tough to makes ends meet on my salary. I work seasonal jobs to add to my budget, and I just took a job at a grocery store nights to help with medical expenses not covered fully by the benefits package so many non-teachers think we teachers have. Having said this, something stinks in the Canyons. Taking a pay raise like that when the teachers who actually DO the work in the trenches are often getting cuts in benefits or freezes in pay is morally wrong. I'm not arguing at this time for higher teacher pay, rather, I am arguing that administration often forgets that they are servants of the public. I believe they should be compensated as such. This goes for all government as well. THey are servants of the people, not the other way around. Cut administration benefits, cut congressional benefits. Let them all earn a living wage that keeps them more grounded! THis man should be ashamed of himself for his glutinous wage, him and many other administrators in this state!

• dobberdobber Ivins, UT
    June 22, 2012 1:29 p.m.

The school Superintendents pay should be a multiplier of the median school teachers pay. It seems the front line that does real work in schools, corporations, government and about everywhere else always get the shaft. I guess the only exception is in professional sports.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    June 22, 2012 2:19 p.m.

Hawko:

You got it right. The midwest is paying in layoffs and service reductions for years of pay and benefit raises where school boards forgot that teachers are public servants. My grandfather was a superintendant back in the days when that truly was a public service. I don't believe we should go back to those days, but we shouldn't be putting people in the top 3% either.

And most resources should be targeted at the classroom. Let's get more qualified and experienced math and science teachers in the classroom, instead of so many who are straight out of college. Math and science require years of teaching experience to master. At ten years in the classroom, the very best natural teachers are just starting to hit their stride in these subjects at ten years. If we paid them more, we perhaps could get them to stay in the classroom instead of having them jump to administration jobs just so they can make ends meet.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 3:46 p.m.

"You have not proven yourself worthy of his time". And here I thought idol-worshipping was a thing of the past.

Seek to Understand, aka Mrs. Doty, any administrator worth his salt needs to have the fortitude to answer hard questions. That's what leaders do.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    June 22, 2012 4:11 p.m.

Ahhh Seek is back. It's been a while. Still posting the most hilarious stuff though.

Way to raise the ire of all the rest of the readers.

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    June 22, 2012 5:38 p.m.

Carman, check your facts, please. Wisconsin teachers were under the QEO (Qualified Economic Offer) since 1993, which enabled school districts to offer their teachers' unions a salary and benefit package of 3.8% that settled all economic issues and precluded binding arbitration. That may sound generous, until you understand that the 3.8% was a biennial, district-wide increase, including all staff-related expenses, such as pay increases for younger teachers and all health insurance increases. The net result was that older teachers, such as my husband, had basically frozen salaries, for over a decade. Now, on top of this, we have been hit by our governor's Act 10, which lowered our family's net pay by an additional $400 a month, with promises of future cuts; that's with a Master's Degree +24 and almost 30 years experience. Even before Act 10, Wisconsin teachers' income had fallen from 15th to 21st (starting pay is 30th). The rest of Wisconsin increased their income at twice the rate of teacher pay, during the same two decades. Not everything political that spins your way is remotely close to the truth. In this case, not even close.

• utahprincipal801 Sandy, UT
    June 22, 2012 6:51 p.m.

I seem to remember the last time any Canyons administrator or teacher contacted a board member about concerns, the board member was censored. This was the first time in my memory and education career (starting in 1971)that a board member was censored for talking with employees, or when a superintendent required all district personnel communication go through him before going to a board member. What competant superintendent would accept the terms of this kind of contract when teachers and classified people got such a pittance this year? Shame on you, David Doty, for your apparent lack of empathy and concern for the people doing the work in the trenches. I am glad I am not an employee of Canyons School District. Hopefully the electorate will do their duty and install a board that answers to their community and not just to the superintendent they hired.

• BleedsBlue Salt Lake City, UT
    June 22, 2012 9:44 p.m.

Interesting that the board does not announce this pay raise for the superintendent until after the teachers have settled with them on their compensation for next year. Knowing that he gets 13+% when teachers get 1% is an insulting blow to morale. Is he really that much more important than the people who spend hour after hour and day after day with the children?

• Seek to understand Sandy, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:19 p.m.

Dr. Doty angered the teachers by trying to do what is best for students - eliminating the short day. Since that time, he has been under attack. Some of the best Superintendents in the country have experienced similar pushback from a vocal minority when they implement meaningful reforms.

The "short day" in Utah is an "untouchable". Teachers are accustomed to having Friday be a lost day and parents are accustomed to a 3 day weekend. There is no justification for the short day on Friday, and Dr. Doty reasonably saw this and made a move to eliminate it (while maintaining teacher prep time by spreading it out during the week). I'm sure he had no idea how sacred the early out was and we are now seeing the results of immature adults who emotionally place their convenience above the academic achievement of students.

This type of illogical thinking is why our schools don't improve as they could. Fortunately for us in the Canyons District, the majority of parents are smart enough to know that Dr. Doty is a treasure.

I also have to mention that the class envy on these posts is embarrassing.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    June 22, 2012 10:38 p.m.

To the tax payers of the Canyons School District...

Mr. Doty is the Superintendent of a large school district. He has several Asst. Superintendents which administer different areas of the district, i.e. Transportation, Human Resources, Maintenance etc. and these people have people under them which are the ones who really put their feet on the ground for day to day supervision.

Mr. Doty does not get his hands dirty with the nuts and bolts of the district. He is nothing but a figure head.

Mr. Doty best attribute is convincing your school board how great he is and he will try to make due on such meager means.

But I DO NOT feel sorry for you,this district is what you wanted,this new district will run better, with more control to the citizens.

The laugh is on you...now one district is two and you have two times of everything which includes two Superintendents making more money than most of you will ever see.

The only thing you can do is vote out those board members who are up this term and the others when their term comes. These are the people who have approved this.

• John Harrison Sandy, UT
    June 23, 2012 12:34 a.m.

I would be happy to see administrators get bonuses when my kids and their teachers don't have to take five furlough days a year. Get the kids back in the classroom and then we can talk about huge raises and outsized bonuses.

• Government Man Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 23, 2012 8:35 a.m.

The idea that Dr. Doty is too worthy to talk to the D-News is fascinating. I wonder if Seek to Understand is currently on the School Board. My guess it is Kim H. This mess in the Canyons District is getting worse by the minute. Three Board members are up for election this year. There is an important Primary Election in Precinct Three. This is Kevin Cromar's seat. The voters would be wise to study the three candidates carefully before they vote on Tuesday the 26th. One of the candidates appears to be hand picked by Doty, Dolan, Cowdell, and Kim H. The only way to fix the Canyons District is to put three new faces on the Board this fall. It is also ironic that the Canyons Board Members are paid around thirty thousand dollars a year, while most Board Members in the State make between two to three thousand dollars. The Canyons Board Members make more than a first year teacher for a part time job!!! They also get an excellent insurance package. This pay raise for Doty, and what the Canyons Board Members make is obscene. The voters need to fix this mess!!

• Hawkyo SYRACUSE, UT
    June 23, 2012 9:25 a.m.

Carman, you missed my point. I do not believe that teachers are over paid. I have the equivalent of another forty hours of college credit after my BS degree and I still earn little enough to qualify for my family to qualify for WIC, reduced lunch at school, and a full tax return. My take home is less than 3100/mo. (no matter what utahsrighttokknow.com says) I live in a modest ten year old home, and drive a 15 year old car with the majority of the paint coming off. (but its paid for) I'm not complaining, but I definitely don't deserve a pay cut!

• Needs to Know Sandy, UT
    June 23, 2012 10:01 a.m.

I highly suspect that "Seek to Understand" is one of the bullying members of the Canyons School Board, aka Kim Horiuch. If this is the case, then all of "Seek"'s comments make perfect sense. Even though Kim Horiuchi is not up for re-election this year she is backing the incumbents and one of the candidates in precinct 3 to maintain her power base. Horiuchi, Cowdell and Dody have made themselves a nice little empire that they do not want disrupted. If you are in precinct 3, please do your homework and study the candidates and get out to Vote Tuesday, June 26th.

• Seek to understand Sandy, UT
    June 23, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Sorry to disappoint - I am just a mom whose 6 kids graduated from Canyons schools. I've never had any connection to the school board and am sorry to say I have only attended 3 board meetings in 10 years. I've never understood how the schools could accomplish what they needed to with such short days and only attending 4.5 days per week. Coming from the midwest, our days were longer and we went all 5 days.

Being a bit of a stats geek, and working in the medical field where outcomes are life and death and are honored as important, I wondered how the schools could fit everything in with less time in school. I learned the sad way that they don't. My 3 youngest had to attend private schools in order to work up to their potential until high school when they could get into an advanced course (AP, IB, etc.).

When Doty suggested we go a full 5 days I was excited. Yes, they were taking time away from the remaining days which I thought was a step backward, but at least Fridays wouldn't be lost days any longer and on balance it is a better plan.

• Government Man Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 23, 2012 2:07 p.m.

If the District Administration is so squeaky clean, they should initiate an independent investigation into the alleged incidents of intimidation etc. The District big wigs seem to be running in reverse to get away from any reporters etc. It is odd that the whole District Administration is blaming the most conservative News Organizations in the State. There is definitely smoke coming out of the Canyons District. Someone needs to get in there and find the fire, and put it out. It will have to start with a whole new look to the School Board!!! Make sure to get out and vote for one of the good guys on June 26th and November 6th!!!

• BleedsBlue Salt Lake City, UT
    June 23, 2012 7:04 p.m.

As a teacher in the district I take umbrage with the claim by Seek to Understand that short days are lost days. In my classroom on short days we delve deeply into mathematics concepts and activities (spending more time on this than we do on other days)as well as spending time on specific focused small group reading instruction. A lost day? I think not. The chunk of time in the afternoon after the children have gone home is precious time during which multiple activities are prepared for the coming week which directly relate to the quality of the instruction that I am able to provide. Could the same thing be accomplished in the prep time after school on the other days as was proposed? I am not sure. It seems there is value to a chunk of uninterrupted time such as we are given (if we are lucky) on short days for one to maintain some momentum. My main concern about the proposed change was that I would have wished for the teachers to be more included in the conversations about it.

• CabezaMan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 24, 2012 3:06 a.m.

This is disgusting, and the board has got to go, and so does Doty. What a disgusting joke. We voted for the split to gain more control over our local schools and dollars. All we got for our effort is a legacy Jordan District administration, same arrogance, and maybe even worse. If I really spoke my mind the paper would not publish my comments. Doty came in making such wonderful promises and lofty goals. What a joke! The whole thing is upside down. We the tax payers should be the ultimate word, but that means we need to do our homework. There is no election where we can have a greater impact than our local school board, but that means we have to pay attention, and maybe even get involved. Then we might avoid such nonsense.

• Rufus1 Highland, UT
    June 25, 2012 10:29 p.m.

Anyone working for Alpine understands the spin being spun here. This article makes it sound like things are hunky- dory but fails to mention the fairly drastic reduction in benefits (one plan essentially is a 5% pay cut if you add up the yearly premiums) announced this year which sends those of us with a large family and a budget scrambling for cover. Many outside of education point to overly generous health care packages. Truth be told those packages have been weed-wacked over the last few years with increases at every turn. I don't ask for wealth. I simply need to make enough to support my family. What other profession is routinely asked "so what's your other job?" I think our state is so satisfied with being really good that we overlook what it would take, in terms of proper funding, to transform us towards greatness.