Utah basketball: Parker Van Dyke commits to the Utes

Comments

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 12, 2012 1:17 p.m.

I'm extremely excited about Van Dyke's commitment ... I've been waiting and hoping for this one for quite a while now. I knew he was a Ute fan but the allure of a Stanford education is always a tough recruiting battle to get into.
    Before anyone starts bantering about Utah versus BYU ... recruiting ... this ... that ... the other ... BYU has Emery already on board and probably wasn't after Van Dyke at all because of recruiting numbers for that particular class. I doubt they would've got him anyway and they probably knew that as well ... he's a Ute.
    Bottom line, both teams have a nice shooting guard for the same recruiting class and they could be a fun head to head match up in future seasons - post missions.
    Utah's rebuilding project is looking more and more promising.
    Go Utes!

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 12, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Good Luck Parker. I was hoping he would end up at USU. I really like his game.
    Good get for the Utes.

• MESOUTE SLC, UT
    June 12, 2012 1:45 p.m.

Welcome Parker!

This is an important recruit for Utah. BYU always has and always will get the legacy kids. But just as in times of the Fat Man, Utah must get those top talents that don't buy into the "BYU Experience" just like Al Jensen, Drew Hansen, and countless others who were so integral in building Utah Basketball into a regional and national program. Fantastic get by the Utah coaches.

• Robroy Murray, utah
    June 12, 2012 1:53 p.m.

I wish this kid success. Hopefully when he returns utah will still have a basketball program for him to join.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2012 1:54 p.m.

I'm glad to see the Utes getting back into the mix for some of the top local talent. For some reason, Boylen didn't recruit much in state and that hurt the program.

Along with Van Dyke, I'm excited to see coach K rebuild the Utes program. There aren't any quick fixes but I believe that he is building it back the right way that will lead to success and hopefully more consistency down the road.

I hope he can stay in shape and not lose too much of his skill set on his mission but I agree with motorbike - it should be fun watching him compete with the Emery kid.

Go Utes!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    June 12, 2012 3:04 p.m.

Don't know much about Parker but from what the article says, he has some skills the Utes really need. A decent shooter that can handle the ball well.

The last great player from East was on the all-century team, Josh Grant. We need that kind of local talent to come back to the Hill.

Welcome Parker, and....

Go Utes!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    June 12, 2012 3:20 p.m.

I've seen him play and he is good, motorbike is correct about this though. BYU didn't offer him so there was no recruiting battle here, BYU already had their SG for this class. It is nice to see that there are two top quality SG from this state in the same year, when that happens there is enough wealth to spread around. USU was the loser in this one.

• ogmson Mapleton, Utah
    June 12, 2012 5:49 p.m.

I love that the Utes are getting some decent players....it's been sad to watch them fall to the level of the bottom feeders of the PAC 12. I especially love the part about Van Dyke being considered the "number 2" guard behind Emery....a BYU commit!! Once again, the Utes are 2nd place to the Mighty Cougars.

What about that Deseret First Award: Oh yea, I remember, BYU 31-16 to the Utes. What is that, four out of five years now the Utes take a back seat to the Cougs? Yep. How embarrassing that the Utes have to play second place to the Cougars....I wonder if Deseret First could start the same trophy with USU and Utah? At least then they would have a fighting chance to get close to winning more than 20% of the time!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 12, 2012 6:14 p.m.

@ogmson

Way to stay classy, San Diego.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    June 13, 2012 9:17 a.m.

Congrats to the Utah basketball program. I'd just like to remind the Utah fans, that if (just a theoretical) the kid had chosen BYU, you all would have said, "just another white, slow, Mormon gaurd". But I hope he's not that for your sake. and yes, we've got Emery who will probably play point gaurd, not shooting gaurd. and score a ton of points.

• Red Aggie LOGAN, UT
    June 13, 2012 1:53 p.m.

@ogmson

Why not do the Deseret First Duel between USU and BYU? Afraid you might lose?

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    June 14, 2012 2:23 p.m.

Utah is doing a good job of recruiting. Hopefully they are good talent evaluators as well. Loveridge, Seymour, Taylor, JuJu, Parker -- good start. They need to land a good big man to backfill Foster and Wash after this year.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    June 14, 2012 4:48 p.m.

UU32, we'll likely see this year how Bachinsky and Olsen look and get an idea of whether they'll be able to carry the load of the two seniors. If not, then yes we desperately need a talented big man.

• Hatch Sandy, UT
    June 15, 2012 10:36 a.m.

Congrats UTES on an excellant recruit. Now if BYU could just get their Parker (Jabari) we would all be very very happy.