Utah

DEA wants to scan license plates on I-15 in southern Utah

Comments

• UtahCentrist Salt Lake City, UT
    May 17, 2012 4:02 p.m.

More encroachments on our civil liberties, all in the name of a futile War on Drugs. A War, by the way, that we are clearly not winning and never will. What we need is true reform, not endless escalation of tactics and invasions of privacy.

How many more innocents need to be shot by careless police in no-knock raids? How many innocent pets need to be murdered in front of children by police at the wrong address? How many more dollars will we waste on military gear for cops rather than treating the real roots of drug abuse? How many of our civil liberties will have to be violated before people from all sides of the political spectrum say "Enough!"

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    May 18, 2012 12:22 a.m.

@ Utah

This isn't about "no-knock warrants." Did you even read the article?

I do find it a bit amusing that the Rep from Clearfield says that in Utah we don't trust the Federal Government right now. He ought to take an opinion poll and ask this question: "After the Legislature voted almost unanimously for HB477 to gut the public's right to know, and after the data breach where hundreds of thousands of Utah citizens had their personal data compromised by hackers into the State Health Department Database, how much do you trust Utah State Government right now?" I'd start the survey right in Clearfield City, too, for maximum effect.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    May 18, 2012 8:51 a.m.

Sounds like a very good idea to me. It is interesting that the most dangerous drug, alcohol, is legal. Personally I have nothing to hide.

• Claudio Springville, Ut
    May 18, 2012 9:26 a.m.

Speak for yourself Oda. Actually, I trust the Feds over the Utah State Legislature any day of the week. I have yet to see anything come out of the latter body that would persuade me to think they could be trustworthy. Quite the opposite in fact.

What in Tucket, any drug improperly used can cause death and is therefore, dangerous. No drug is "more dangerous" than another. A dangerous thing cannot be "more" dangerous.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    May 18, 2012 10:07 a.m.

I agree with Utah Centralist, a war which is being won by people supposable impaired by their drug abuse?
    "I have nothing to hide" is a poor excuse for giving up freedom. Law enforcement isn't always satisfied when they "find nothing."

toosmartforyou
    This isn't about "no-knock warrants." Did you even read the article?
    Utah Centralist was commenting about ALL the rights given up, in a war that doesn't make sense, when you address the facts.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    May 18, 2012 11:29 a.m.

This is illegal. I'm not a criminal and nobody has any right to know where I may decide to travel. Using this to track drug trafficers is just their excuse and justification. Just like the patriot act, this isn't really used to stop terrorism or drug cartels, it's real purpose is the surveilence of the American people.

• Phranc SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 18, 2012 11:54 a.m.

@what in tucket
    So because you have nothing to hide, you are willing to give up a right to privacy? I am not decided on how I feel about this idea but to say well i am alright with it because I got nothing to hide seems a little simple minded.

• peabody Steamboat Springs, CO
    May 18, 2012 1:06 p.m.

Now that my niece has moved to St. George from Herrimann I'll be on I 15 to visit her. I do not trust the DEA or local drug task forces or the like with this seemingly innocuous information. Smacks to much of Big Brother.
    This same article ran in the Salt Lake Tribune yesterday and there were hundreds of comments opposing this DEA proposal.

• OLD-GUY Central, Utah
    May 18, 2012 11:34 p.m.

They already do this in many places, sorry you didn't know but they did it in Michigan 40+ years ago. I don't know if they capture it but every one of those cameras (traffic cams) can see and record your license plate. I just make sure I smile when I go past.

Certainly in CA they have cameras at intersections, if you run a red light they go flash and they mail you a copy of the photo and a bill.

I would think that enforcement would be best served if they were moved around just like patrol cars. I understand there are some devices that for the determined, you can buy that will jumble radar signals.

I'm not doing anything wrong so I don't have a problem with people knowing where I am and I really don't think I am giving up any freedom. I would however need a little explaination of a 2 year retention, storage and analysis cost that the same tag went through Enoch on several different occassions. My thought without some additional rationale would be that 2 weeks, maybe even 2 days storage would be OK for purpose mentioned.

• Trooper55 Williams, AZ
    May 27, 2012 2:34 p.m.

I believe that any tool that can help the DEA and local Law Enforcement arrest drug trafficer than allow the to, if only on a temp base, and then if it proves to be a valueable tool then use it by all means. we may not be winning the war on drugs, but if we can put a major dent in it we need to do it. I like some people who post don't have a problem with the use of it. I further believe that people that are the most outspoken must have something to hide. I have worked with the Fedral drug task force before I retied with over 28 years as a State Trooper and followed the laws of this land.