Blue roundup: Offensive coordinator Brandon Doman takes recruiting visit to South Pacific

Comments

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    May 9, 2012 12:34 p.m.

I'd love to see Doman find and get commitments from some of talent on the islands.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 9, 2012 1:26 p.m.

The Poly pipeline runs through Utes. He's waisting his time.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 9, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Re: hedgehog

The Poly pipeline BEGAN with the Cougars. You are wasting YOUR time.

By the way, I'm not normally a grammar fairy, but learn how to spell "waisting"

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    May 9, 2012 2:16 p.m.

wedge,

He's "waist"ing his time? Really? A little more time in school and a little less time obsessing over BYU would have served you well. LOL. I love it when stereotypes about "smart" Ute fans are true.

Thanks for making me laugh. Please respond! I would love to hear some more gems.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    May 9, 2012 3:19 p.m.

@TEDDYH

Thanks for making me laugh I didn't realize LOL was a sentence? I didn't realize there was an education level you needed to have to talk on a sports board? I mean your comments are on so anybody should be able to comment, right?.....Keep up the good education trash talk Teddy way to zing the Utes!

• orak ,
    May 9, 2012 3:24 p.m.

All the top Pacific Island talent are in Auckland NZ playing Rugby or Rugby League to try and make the professional grades. Also all the high schools are littered with them. So he is visiting the wrong place.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    May 9, 2012 4:51 p.m.

Congratulations to Bronco for being named the top Independent coach by Sporting News (for the guy who turned this down as off topic last time I posted it - this was part of the story).

May 9, 2012 4:52 p.m.

I really enjoyed this article!!!!! I STILL cannot stop laughing.

May 9, 2012 5:01 p.m.

All the islanders have KWhit's email address anyway........they wanna play in the PAC-12, not make a road trip to Las Cruces every other year during rivalry week. And, sign an obedience contract to live in Provo, Utah.

May 9, 2012 5:05 p.m.

And all this time.......I thought Roscoe wanted to just go "surfing" all the time.......................Me bad! Bwahahahahahahaha!

May 9, 2012 5:08 p.m.

I am thrilled for Roscoe's "indy" honor as the best coach out of four teams nationwide. I wonder why he is the 3rd best coach in Utah however?

May 9, 2012 5:12 p.m.

Where is Bronco going to coach after he leaves BYU next season? He couldn't get a job selling cotton candy at a AA baseball park on his best day.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    May 9, 2012 5:16 p.m.

"BYU's Bronco Mendenhall is the top coach among independent programs, according to the Sporting News."
    1st out of a field of 4. Well that's... um... something.

May 9, 2012 5:24 p.m.

Doman is really on a secret buying trip for a new surfboard for Roscoe. His true passion is wave sets, not football.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    May 9, 2012 7:24 p.m.

I remember when I was kid how BYU had a ton of Polynesian players who made major impacts on the team. It's great to see they are going to try to focus on that again. How cool would it be for some Polynesian boys to know they could travel all over the country instead of being stuck in one part of the country all the time. How can you beat going to Georgia, Notre Dame, Virgina, Texas, Nebraska etc. on a regular basis?

Love the direction the coaches are taking this program!

• kat Ogden, UT
    May 9, 2012 7:40 p.m.

Utah-Hawaii Alum

You may want to check the respective coaches records. Bronco is number 16 among active winningest coaches, Whittingham is number 20. What's your point?

Google winningest active football coaches.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 9, 2012 7:41 p.m.

"How can you beat going to Georgia, Notre Dame, Virgina, Texas, Nebraska etc. on a regular basis?" = striker

hmmm, maybe having the ability to play in a BCS conference, play in a bowl game that starts after December 10th and get drafted in the NFL.

• kat Ogden, UT
    May 9, 2012 8:31 p.m.

BYU will be in a BCS bowl before Utah. Take it to the bank. Utah's is tied for #50 in recruiting, BYU is ranked 40. Mendenhall is ranked 16 winningest active coack in the USA, Whittingham is ranked 20. Utah = long-time, no BCS for the future! In fact Utah = lost in the 12 for the future!

May 9, 2012 8:37 p.m.

@ kat,

BYU will never sniff a BCS bowl game EVER! The program will be gone after ESPN dumps BYU.

May 9, 2012 9:18 p.m.

@ kat,

I don't where you are getting your bogus figures. According to Rivals.com. The 2012 recruiting class rankings have Utah #28, BYU #61. Get ready for another pounding on 9-15-12 sir!!!

• kat Ogden, UT
    May 9, 2012 9:58 p.m.

UHA
    My figures come from Scout.com. What makes you think Rivals is a better guess?
    You, my friend may want to prepare yourself for 9-15-2012. Your blustering gives no pause to my hope. Talk is cheap, see you in four months.

May 9, 2012 10:28 p.m.

@ kat,

Scout.com has Utah #32, BYU #60. The Utes will be "prepared" on 9-15-12. And, they are LOADED this year....... buckle up my friend! Your "hope" is only delusional thinking, possibly some fear as well. Talk is cheap.......scoreboard......54-10 Utah! Gooooooo Utes!

• Hatch Sandy, UT
    May 9, 2012 10:49 p.m.

I love the polys. Not sure why Doman is heading this up though. Having lived and worked with these good people, I can't help but feel a fellow poly would be more effective. How cool it would be though to see more BYU players with the energy, talent, and charisma of a Mikeli Iremia. Hopefully Doman is traveling with Vai.

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    May 9, 2012 10:56 p.m.

Utah-Hawaii, Hedgehog etc. just keep obsessing over BYU. It's great entertainment.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 10, 2012 12:16 a.m.

Well the 2010 class for BYU was ranked 22 by Scout, so stick that in your office and frame it.

What's lost on those who aren't familiar with BYU's roster is also how good the 2009 class actually also was. Scout had that class ranked at 40 and if you add missions and redshirt years most of the 2009 class are JUST STARTING THEIR CAREERS on the team THIS SEASON. Most of the 2007 and 2008 recruits are still in the middle of their careers. Even some 2006 kids, which was Bronco's FIRST CLASS are still on the team, and we all know what Bronco inherited. People need to be patient. We're still just beginning to see what Bronco's players can do.

May 10, 2012 7:31 a.m.

@Cougar claws,

The 2010 BYU class included the way overrated #1 Jake Heaps.......and he's gone to KU. The 2011 class has Utah #40, BYU #66. The writing is on the wall and the scoreboard is the arbitrator. BYU is headed downhill. The only decent player on their team is Kyle Van Noy. Utah will make it 3 in a row EASILY. I am really thinking BYU won't score at RES on 9-15-12 unless Utah turns the ball over DEEP in their own territory? Thanks for the warm-up game BYU. Then, good riddance and goodbye!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 10, 2012 9:22 a.m.

We will DOMANate the island recruiting. It's a well known fact that Samoans want to go to byu and with Doman, their, they all will.

• fender Washington, UT
    May 10, 2012 10:48 a.m.

Hatch

BYU sent the guy with the island connections packing a couple of years ago. Robert Anae, who was Mendenhall's scapegoat OC a couple of years ago, was immediately hired by Mike Stoops at Arizona as O line coach and was the only coach retained by Rich Rodriguez when he took over at Arizona at the end of last year. I see Anae has already snagged the top rated O lineman out of Utah for 2013. As an offensive coordinator or recruiter Doman couldn't carry Anae's clipboard.

May 10, 2012 11:47 a.m.

Honestly folks, there will be no football program at BYU within the next decade. The LDS church is not gonna support it anymore. The ESPN ratings are atrocious and BYU can't beat a decent team.......poorly coached, slow and have no talent. I LOVE IT!

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    May 10, 2012 12:56 p.m.

@ Utah-Hawaii Alum 11:47 a.m and all other BYU haters

If this is the case then what would you do with all your free time? I guess you would have to find something else that is so irrelevant to obsess about. I figure over half of the 30 comments are crying about BYU.

• UU32 Bountiful, UT
    May 10, 2012 5:20 p.m.

Cougar Claws - The 2010 BYU class is not a good one to reference. It included Mr. Heaps as its trophy recruit. That didn't turn out so well. Some others are good players though.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 10, 2012 9:04 p.m.

Re: Utah Hawaii Alum

1. When I reference recruiting class rankings, I'm only using your same logic as to how "good" the programs are doing. So either the rankings count or they don't. Which one is it?

2. Honestly, besides BYU, who is the last decent team Utah has beaten since the Sugar Bowl win at Alabama in 2008? Seriously. I don't even mean to say that to take shots. I'm asking you seriously. Pittsburgh? Air Force? For every team that Utah has beaten BYU has almost as many victories equivalent to the quality of Utahs.

3. The Church doesn't even really "support" the football program. If the LDS Church was actually financing the BYU football program they might have a reason to cut it if it wasn't performing well. (Well, by Church leader standards, doesn't mean going undefeated every year). As long as the majority of the players are living the honor code and represent the church well (which they have under Coach Mendenhall) the church has no reason to cut a program that provides free, large-scale PR for them.

4. Are you related to Norm Chow or something?

May 11, 2012 10:13 a.m.

@ Cougar Claws,

I see your point, but #1 rated Jake heaps is gone. Therefore, that "class' is diminished greatly. So much for the 2010 class????? Utah is much better since.

Utah has had a problem keeping Jordan Wynn healthy, their obvious enigma. You can study the records and Utah has beaten ranked teams on their "turf" after 2008. BYU can't beat any "OK" team at all.

The LDS Church built LES and all the wonderful athletic facilities that exist for all sports teams at BYU. Nearly every state-owned school depends on filthy rich alumni donating big bucks......look at the stadium names throughout the country. BYU has also done other things with their endless supply of tax free $ provided by the LDS situation......and I don't respect it in the least. I lived it, and know what went down. The bottom line is that BYU is no longer relevant and the Church will cut them off to save the continuing embarrassment.......like they did at Rick's College.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 11, 2012 1:11 p.m.

Re: Utah Hawaii Alum

Oh okay so a good QB is why Utah isn't better. Newsflash, BYU is in the same predicament. The QB position is the most important position in football. I don't think that's exactly news.

BYU is funded by boosters just like any other program so I don't know what you're complaining about. Does BYU have some kind of tax advantage because of the Church status? Ok maybe. But, does Utah have an Honor Code? Does Utah have the same academic requirements or have the same volume of missionaries coming in and out of the school? Is BYU somehow "inappropriately" using the tax exemption? If they were don't you think the Church would know about it and do something about it? Well they haven't, and they would have if that was true.

I think all things considered Bronco Mendenhall has done a pretty good job despite all the challenges. You don't give BYU enough credit.

• cougarfanzz american fork, UT
    May 12, 2012 8:04 a.m.

Oh boy, I tell ya, it's going to be a swell season for the Cougs. 10+ wins no problem!

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    May 14, 2012 7:56 a.m.

BYU will have at least 4 losses and as many as six. Will have big losses to Utah, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, Boise State and possible home losses to Oregon State and Washington State.

May 14, 2012 12:08 p.m.

BYU has proven that they can't beat a mediocre team for many years. Plus, BYU is NOT a school that can get into the big time. BYU's "accounting" program hasn't turned any heads. I enjoy the DNews and the chuckles. Thank you DNews!!!!!

May 14, 2012 12:22 p.m.

If you think that the LDS officials are "dumb," I suggest you think again. They know what their agenda is PERFECTLY.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 14, 2012 12:26 p.m.

Re: Utah-Hawaii Alum

BYU has proven that they can compete with Utah's "athletes" with a recruiting pool 1/10th the size of Utah's because of Honor Code and Academics. Not to mention BYU turns over half their team every year because of missions. If BYU can't get into the "big time" it will be because they are excluded, not because they didn't deserve to be there. Don't think for 2 seconds Utah deserved the Pac-12 spot any more than BYU did.

May 14, 2012 12:32 p.m.

@ cougarfanzz,

Honestly, BYU will lose to Wazzu, Utah easily, ND, GT will pound BYU, and BSU has athletes, unlike BYU. How many games has BSU lost at home in the last few years?........ The TCU game in a miracle. That same TCU team beat the tar out of BYU on a neutral field. And, I think Utah St. will beat BYU AGAIN.......hands down. USU's tragic loss on a bad pass last year was was a joke. USU creamed BYU the year prior. BYU is sinking.....enjoy the skid!!!!!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    May 14, 2012 2:34 p.m.

Honestly, what makes you think Wazzu will beat BYU? It is the season opener, at home, and Bronco has not lost many season openers. Utah easily? Last year was a joke. That game is a toss up and was even last year until halftime. The game wasn't even out of reach in the 3rd quarter. We'll have to see what kind of teams ND and GT are later in the year. How many starters has BSU actually lost the past few years? The last time BYU went up to the blue turf they only lost by one point, and that was during the Crowton years. I like BYUs chances to make that a game. By the way, BSU lost at home to TCU who BYU actually hung around with for most of the game last year. And Utah St. didn't beat BYU AGAIN so I don't know where you are getting AGAIN from. We'll see what happens, Utah St. should be a good game AGAIN. I would even give Utah St. a chance against the Utes this year. BYU isn't sinking any more than Utah is. What would you call 8-5?