Red roundup: ESPN's Todd McShay says it's possible Ute senior Star Lotulelei could be No. 1 overall pick next year

Comments

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 3, 2012 11:18 a.m.

If Star stays away from an injury he's a 1st round pick. If he improves he game even slightly he's the number 1 pick.

Just imagine the frantic emotions from down south if the Utes score 2 first picks in the last 8 years.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2012 12:20 p.m.

The future of football in Utah,

is UTAH

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    May 3, 2012 12:38 p.m.

Wow, this article had nothing to do with BYU but hedgehog reinforced little brother's inferiority complex to their big brother, by bringing BYU into the discussion.

Nice work! Who needs a PR or marketing group at BYU when you have hedgehog and others like him drawing everyone's attention off of little brother to BYU?

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    May 3, 2012 1:12 p.m.

It would be 3 top picks if this dream scenario took place when you factor in the NBA (Bogut) for the last 8 years.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    May 3, 2012 1:26 p.m.

He sounds highly regarded. Did he consider enter the draft this year?

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    May 3, 2012 1:56 p.m.

Star is a serious beast - he was voted by his peers last year as the best defensive lineman in the PAC12.

I hope he has another great year and can stay healthy. The Utes need him up there creating havock in the backfield.

I'm not sure he will be the number 1 pick or not but he could very realistically be in the top 10. Next years draft is a long time away and usually the Heisman candidates are in the mix for the first picks.

Either way, I'm so glad he decided to stay for his senior year - he is a strong anchor for the Utes defense.

Go Utes!

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 3, 2012 2:04 p.m.

idablu:

He DID consider entering this year's draft, but opted to return for his Senior year so he could earn his degree. The DNews did a story on this several weeks back.

Had Star opted to forgo his Senior year, he most definitely would have been drafted. Not "definitely" drafted like Fangupo, but rather ACTUALLY drafted like Bergstrom.

Serious question for Duckhunter and sammyg here:

Which scenerio would be worse for the frantic and emotional Y fans:

(a) Seeing Lotulelei drafted in the 2012 draft -- which would mean watching yet ANOTHER Ute drafted while their team had none...

-OR-

(b) Facing Lotulelei AGAIN in September...

On the ONE hand, as more Utes hear their names called on Draft Day while no cougars do so likewise, it'll become even MORE difficult to out-recruit the Pac-12 for quality D-1 players. But on the OTHER hand, the Y had ALREADY lost 7 of the 10 while the Utes had less talent THEN than we do NOW! And ESPECIALLY since the cougars had more talent on their sidelines in the last 5-yrs than they do NOW.

So which scenerio is worse little brothers?

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    May 3, 2012 2:09 p.m.

It will depend on the year that Barkley has. If he has an elite year, he will be #1. There is just a premium on QBs and that will not be over looked.

PAC 12, #1 and #2, USC and UTAH would be sweet.

Here's to Star having a Consesus All-American year and getting picked #1!

Can't wait for the start of the season and....

Go Utes!

• AZ Blue & Red Gilbert, AZ
    May 3, 2012 6:09 p.m.

Good for Star. Hope he has a great year and be the #1. Even us Blue guys like to see the Utes do well. (OK most of us) Great players deserve the recognition. Red or Blue

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    May 3, 2012 6:44 p.m.

October 4 will be an epic game against USC at Rice-Eccles.
    Star will get his chance against Barkley and the #1 rated Trojans.

Opposing offensive lines are fearing Star. Go Utes!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    May 3, 2012 6:48 p.m.

Naval Vet

Thank you for my soliciting my opinion. Doesn't make any difference whatsoever to me or probably most people.

I really could not care less about kids to the NFL. So few ever make it, it's hardly worth mentioning but I understand people getting excited over their schools and the prospects for NFL success.

If this gentleman makes it, it's great, if he doesn't then he's one of the few smarter ones for sticking it out for another year and getting an education. For most kids, that's what it's all about anyway, the competition and a free ride education.

College football is more about rivalries, scoreboard, conference championships, national rankings, Heisman trophies and of course, national championships.

When you get closer to completing your bucket list, let me know.

• fender Washington, UT
    May 3, 2012 7:22 p.m.

Thinkman,

Wow, this article had nothing to do with BYU but here you are reading it. My guess is you know a lot about inferiority complex.

• xitmakaveli PROVO, UT
    May 3, 2012 9:11 p.m.

Did anyone on here even read the article about Star?!

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    May 3, 2012 9:24 p.m.

Great kid and incredible player. Generally QB's are the top pick in the draft and my guess is next year will be no exception. Would love to see him be the top pick but an outstanding and more realistic accomplishment would be the first defensive player taken in the draft.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    May 3, 2012 10:23 p.m.

sammyg:

"Doesn't make any difference whatsoever to me..."

So in other words, both scenerios are equally distressing to you and your frantic and emotional Y fans. Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that, but I can see it now. Thank you for your input. I guess we'll all have to wait a few more weeks until Duckhunter gets back from his convenient "business trip" to Tulsa.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    May 4, 2012 8:01 a.m.

Star is a great player. . Going to have a great Senior season. I look forward to the competition this year and seeing how we stack up against the best teams.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    May 4, 2012 9:57 a.m.

Fender,

I'd recommend that you don't assume anything.

I read the article as I too am a Utah and BYU alum. I am interested in Utah as I want them to succeed but I also call out ridiculous comments by hedgehog and others who always seem to bring BYU into a discussion on an article that was solely focused on Utah and not BYU.

Pease brother. For your benefit, I recommend you don't jump to conclusions with your misguided assumptions.

• hedgehog Ann Arbor, MI
    May 4, 2012 11:20 a.m.

I recommend you don't jump to conclusions with your misguided assumptions. - feder

Kwhitt has sent 17 of his player into the NFL draft. Bronko has zero.

If and when Starr goes in the first round and bYu yet again sends ZERO into the 2013 draft- there will be a lot of frantic emotion from down south.

• billybubba South Jordan, UT
    May 4, 2012 1:04 p.m.

Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT
    The future of football in Utah,

is UTAH

Dang chris b where do you come up with this clever stuff copy and past over and over and over again

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    May 5, 2012 12:30 a.m.

Naval Vet
    Philadelphia, PA

-------

Ha ha ha. I love that. It never gets old.

• 17-14 Hurts Don't It? Springville, UT
    May 6, 2012 3:44 p.m.

Naval Vet and TommieHawked

The obsession is truly amazing. I'm sure Duckhunter is LOL.

LOL

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    May 6, 2012 4:24 p.m.

Naval Vet

Philadelphia, PA

Which scenerio would be worse for the frantic and emotional Y fans:

2:04 p.m. May 3, 2012
    ===
    Naval Vet

Philadelphia, PA

10:23 p.m. May 3, 2012
    ===

hedgehog

Ann Arbor, MI

there will be a lot of frantic emotion from down south.
    11:20 a.m. May 4, 2012
    =======

Unmatched by the frantic emotion from NavalHedgeChrisOlogy if Lotulelei has the honor of first one picked...(Serious, dude, we all know your the same person, but mix up the adjectives once in awhile)...

I hope that Lotulelei has a great season, and stays healthy. The Utes could use him in the Colorado game this season...

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    May 7, 2012 10:42 p.m.

I'll tell you what will help his draft status...a couple of sacks and a forced fumble on Matt Barkley next fall.

Would be sweet.