U.S. & World

'Time to shatter Mormon myths' column spreads across the country

Comments

• ThornBirds St.George, Utah
    April 30, 2012 12:31 p.m.

Voters across the US should read the comments written by "LDS" members following these political articles. That could certainly give a new meaning to the word "delightful".

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    April 30, 2012 1:16 p.m.

Second that ThornBirds. If they read LDS comments on here they'd have a better feel for them. A Voice of Reason, among several others, stand out in my mind as great examples of true Mormon beliefs and thought patterns.

• beatrice Beaverton, OR
    April 30, 2012 9:37 p.m.

After long-term discussions with LDS about their doctrines,it is quite clear that they often do not know what is in their own doctrines. I have heard answers that make it clear
    that some practices are demanded in some wards and not at all in others.

That would make the entire doctrine to be a "myth".

Explanations of "what Joseph Smith really meant" abound when modern LDS realize how
    much of their beliefs do not match those of Jesus the Christ.

It is altered, glossed over and "softened" for PR purposes. Having this Mormon Myth
    exposure is the best thing that has happened for Christianity in a very long time.

• Jeanie b. Orem, UT
    April 30, 2012 10:28 p.m.

Yes, reading comments after political articles would give some a view on Mormons - and also a view on those who seem to target anything LDS with anything negative that pops into their minds. It would seem to me a person could be much happier if they didn't feel a need to have a target to shoot at - almost daily.

By the way - how clear is the average Christian on basic Christian doctrine? I have noticed it changes quite a bit from church to church. Seems to me there are many interpretations of the same scripture passages. Does this make Christianity a myth?

• donn layton, UT
    May 1, 2012 8:12 a.m.

Re: M.G. Scott, you know all of the doctrines(Mormonism) of Jesus Christ. Well, you don't. Most Christians who read only the New Testament would find it hard to agree on the different teachings. Baptism for the dead. True,

Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can Destroy both soul and body in hell (Mt 10:28)

Mosiah 2:39,”And now I say unto you, that mercy hath no claim on that man; therefore his’ Final doom’ is to endure a never ending torment.

(Mosiah 3:25)…to shrink from the presence of the Lord into a state of misery and endless torment whence they can’ No more Return’; therefore they drunk damnation to their own souls.

• grandma sus Central, UT
    May 1, 2012 8:25 a.m.

Amazing the amount of "anti" readers of the Deseret News. A lot of rascals who want to shake our faith. It only shows their ignorance of the facts.

• GoldieZ Central, UT
    May 1, 2012 8:27 a.m.

Isn't it wonderful that some columnists actually try to print good factual information? Bless them for their effort and integrity!

• Midvaliean MIDVALE, UT
    May 1, 2012 8:57 a.m.

How interesting. The religion you were born into is the most correct and true religion, all others are wrong.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 1, 2012 9:02 a.m.

As more Mormons are asked about their faith, they will become more deft at answering the questions. It has always amazed me how Mormons feel they have to share the most sacred information and are subsequently shocked when they are dismissed or mocked. Hopefully, they'll learn not to cast "pearls before swine" and allow other people to find out for themselves through their own study, pondering and prayer.

That which is sacred and "hidden from the world" was meant to be, until the individual really is sincere in his search for truth.

• Mormoncowboy Provo, Ut
    May 1, 2012 10:30 a.m.

"A Voice of Reason, among several others, stand out in my mind as great examples of true Mormon beliefs and thought patterns"

I suppose that depends on what we mean by "true Mormon beliefs and thought patterns". This comes across very Orson Scott Card'ish to me. We would like to be the authorities even over Mormon people, to say who is representative of the whole, vs, who is not. It would be far more helpful to point how a person can recognize this, in a meaningful way that allows everyone to reach a reasonable concensus. The primary challenge in Mormonism is that there is very little concrete doctrine. Everything beyond a general belief in Jesus Christ and Mormon authority, is fluid in Mormonism. From there we get these authoritative sounding statements from people with no institutional authority.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    May 1, 2012 10:53 a.m.

Midvalean,

I was not born into the church. Nor was my spouse. Our children were.

If there is a true religion, then it only stands to reason that some will inherit that destiny. Others will have to find it on their own.

• Midvaliean MIDVALE, UT
    May 1, 2012 11:42 a.m.

@Twin Lights,
    My comment was a little generic. Although it certainly applies to Mormons, it also applies to most other people on the planet with a religion. Just food for thought.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 1, 2012 12:20 p.m.

@USAlover
    "Hopefully, they'll learn not to cast "pearls before swine""

1. That's insulting.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    May 1, 2012 1:34 p.m.

Midvaliean,

Understood. Thank you.

MormonCowboy,

I think that "true Mormon beliefs and thought patterns" are quite easy to determine. Simply review General Conference.

As to concrete doctrine. I suppose if you were raised in the church it might be harder to recognize how concrete the doctrine of the church is (this not meant as a put down, just an observation reference when we are familiar with something from a young age).

For me and those I know who have come into the church, nothing could be further from the truth. There were points of agreement and disagreement with prior faith and many points that simply were never addressed except within the church. To me, it seemed far more concrete in doctrine than the other faiths with which I was familiar. In fact, a lack of concreteness was one of the reasons I left my prior faith.

• Jeanie b. Orem, UT
    May 1, 2012 3:48 p.m.

Alt 134 - Are you a potential convert?

A potential convert is interested in knowledge about the church. There are those that are only interested in arguing and poking at the church - somehow because it exists they are offended. (like Joseph Smith said - something to the effect that those who leave the church cannot leave it alone.)

Would you share special and personal things with someone who hates you and jabs at you every chance they get? Would that be with holding information?

Potential converts aren't referred to as "swine". Angry, bitter people are.

• Disco Vega MoTown, CA
    May 1, 2012 4:35 p.m.

I think articles like this are great...let people see and read what the LDS faith is all about...nothing to hide. Once those who have a real interest learn, they will come away with an honest opionion. -- those who throw hate, bigotry around will always do so regardless of what they read, listen to or learn.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    May 1, 2012 4:42 p.m.

"This is why people think the LDS church tries to hide stuff since you're expressing encouragement for withholding some information from potential converts."

Have you taken math classes? When did you realize that they were "hiding stuff" from you about mathematics? How about we just start teaching number theory in elementary school! There's nothing to hide, kids!

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    May 1, 2012 5:49 p.m.

A Mormon critic, frequently here to insult, complaining about being insulted. Beam me up.

Jeanie b ... Keep Proverbs 1:22 in mind when you read the venom here. Special emphasis on 'delight in their scorning'.

• donn layton, UT
    May 1, 2012 6:07 p.m.

Re: Disco Vega ,let people see and read what the LDS faith is all about...nothing to hide?
    The “pale” of Christianity believes the birth of Jesus was a unique miracle by the Holy Spirit/Ghost, same Greek word(Pneuma).

Joseph Fielding Smith, ”They tell us that the BoM states that Jesus was begotten of the Holy Ghost. I challenge that statement. The BoM teaches No Such Thing! Neither does the Bible!”(Doctrines of Salvation.

A precious and chosen vessel, who shall be overshadowed and conceive by the power of the Holy Ghost and bring forth a son yea, even the Son of God. ( Alma 7:10)

The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.(Luke 1:35 KJV).

The birth of the Savior was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood was begotten of His Father, as we are of our fathers. (JoD 8:115). Which do you believe?

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    May 1, 2012 6:22 p.m.

LValfre,

I suppose I must have offended you. All I can say for it is that I am sorry.

I stand up for what I believe and know. But if people want to know what constitutes as "Mormon", they should read the Book of Mormon- not the commentary of a sinner, an imperfect human being with flaws. The spirit of God bears record of the truth and those who read your commentary and my own will know that truth and have a chance to accept it or deny it.

-------

Whenever I read the Book of Mormon I feel inspired to be kind to others and a better person. I often don't do as I should, but God's Church and His work is untarnished because of my imperfection.

If people want to know what "Mormon" really means, in the Book of Mormon we find a plan of happiness, a path of repentance and forgiveness, and most of all the way to return to our God who loves us to be with our families forever. The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ and a great and literal tiding of Joy.

That is where visitors should look.

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    May 1, 2012 7:04 p.m.

Some find, some will never see, others throw it away...

• OnlytheCross Bakersfield, CA
    May 1, 2012 7:10 p.m.

Thank you for the article! I agree that we need to get the misconceptions corrected. And I am on a mission to make sure that this country starts doing its own homework and stops using Google and Wikipedia for its prime source documents. My husband and I pass out Books of Mormon, the writings of Joseph Smith and all original LDS Church materials to all the classes we teach on Mormonism in our commmunity and at our evangelical church.

We invite members, leaders, teachers and missionaries to share, define and give their testimonies. Our Q&A sessions are informative and good exchanges always occur. You'd think that our local LDS ward just 2 blocks away would flood our classes, but whatever responses we get are always a blessing and great friendships ate formed.

My friends and peers always ask how I could have considered Mormonism as Biblical when Joseph's original message was that the Bible wasn't accurate and all churches were wrong. When I explain what we were taught and that our religious terms have different meanings, then they understand. The same as defining the differences between Catholicism and Protestantism, distinctions must be shared.

• Utes11 Salt Lake City, Utah
    May 1, 2012 7:50 p.m.

Jamshid,
    what does 'compiled' mean? I was reading your article and looking forward to reading the ten questions from the Texas Blag....and then it stopped. WHAAAA?
    You mention them and then don't tell us the questions. Journalism 101.
    Can you list the questions please.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    May 1, 2012 9:29 p.m.

Utes11,

AMEN! I went to the site but didn't find them (though I didn't look long). That was the most interesting part of the article... then it didn't deliver! lol

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    May 2, 2012 8:24 a.m.

@Utes11 and A Voice of Reason - click on "Last week's line of inquiry" in the last paragraph of the DN article, and it will take you to the 10 questions.

• SpringvilleEd SPRINGVILLE, UT
    May 2, 2012 9:21 a.m.

Hello everyone. USALover, you were offended by the "Pearls before swine." comment. Jesus said that, remember, when speaking of non-believers. Here is what it means. Pearls are soft and swine (an animal that the Jews of the time could relate to) would simply trample and break the pearls. Today when something of value (LDS beliefs) are put before the media etc. often the values are "broken" up like the swine would do to pearls. In other words the pearls are soft, beautiful gems and swine (populace) sees no value in them. That is all that it means. Remember, the woman would even take the "crumbs, like a dog" that Jesus had to offer her.
    Understand, then criticize.
    Respectfully
    Brother Ed

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2012 9:29 a.m.

@Jeanie b.
    "Are you a potential convert?"

I was a member for 4 years.

@Riverton Cougar
    "Have you taken math classes? When did you realize that they were "hiding stuff" from you about mathematics? How about we just start teaching number theory in elementary school! "

That's a faulty comparison.

@Moontan
    "A Mormon critic, frequently here to insult, complaining about being insulted. "

I'm actually trying to help by pointing out that it's insulting because it is and I don't think members who've spent their whole lives in the church understand that it is insulting to non-members and potential converts. I understand that because I was a convert to the church so I know what things do and don't annoy prospective members. That's part of why I'd been told I would make a good missionary by several people when I was a member.

• American man WOODS CROSS, UT
    May 2, 2012 10:00 a.m.

beatrice:

• kathybeebee Ephrata, WA
    May 2, 2012 10:48 a.m.

Do any of us remember Elder Russell Ballard's conference address from a few years ago? Essentially, he said that when we are asked a question, just answer the question. You don't have to give the entire Journal of Discourses, the Several Thousand Years, and the Encyclopedia of Mormonism while callling the ward mission leader to have him fill up the font!!! (I admit to paraphrasing here!)

The point is, we sometimes get so excited to think we've Got An Investigator, that we forget that we're just talking to a friend or colleague. Slow the ponies down. Just answer the question And it doesn't hurt to use a normal tone of voice, not your eccleastical leader-voice! This is a friend you're addressing and you probably want to keep the friendship.

• donn layton, UT
    May 2, 2012 10:53 a.m.

RE: American man, What are some of the LDS beleifs that do not match those of Jesus Christ? I would like to hear some of them.

The “pale” of Christianity believes the birth of Jesus was a unique miracle by the Holy Spirit/Ghost.

”They tell us that the BoM states that Jesus was begotten of the Holy Ghost. I challenge that statement. The BoM teaches No Such Thing! Neither does the Bible!”( Joseph Fielding Smith)

The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.(Luke 1:35 KJV) .

• oneeternalround Scottsboro, AL
    May 2, 2012 11:11 a.m.

I agree with,, A voice of reason. The book of Mormon is where one should read,but also read the bible with it as it will tell you the Book of Mormon will come forth and be a withness of the bible and clear up the darkness or falling away from the truth,just as Jesus said.He said he would restore all things before his comming back to claim his people. But if you have questions after reading the Book of Mormon after you have prayed if it is true ,the best place to go to ask questions is, mormon.org.I pray you will recieve your withness to the truth of all things. In The name of Jesus The Christ. Amen

• San Diego Orem, UT
    May 2, 2012 11:11 a.m.

@ Alt134
    ""Hopefully, they'll learn not to cast "pearls before swine""

1. That's insulting.
    2. This is why people think the LDS church tries to hide stuff since you're expressing encouragement for withholding some information from potential converts."

It's unfortunate that you were offended since it was Christ who said do not cast your pearls before swine as they will simply trample them. I will not share thoughts sacred to me with anyone who will in turn demean or defile them. I don't think you would either.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    May 2, 2012 11:37 a.m.

I find a voice of reason to be among the most sincere of commentators here as well as the first to apologize if their remarks are missunderstood.
    I also agree that we have a right to defend and correct when false statements are made.
    Sadly, I've yet to see a critic apologize for insulting and attacking something they know is sacred to many of us.
    I think I already know the answer to that ;)

• Kimball Bakersfield, CA
    May 2, 2012 1:49 p.m.

Wow! It is hard to jump into such a bitter, vitriolic exchange.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    May 2, 2012 3:21 p.m.

"It would be interesting to see if any of the critics on here each day belong to any religion, and attend more than one time per month. And if so, it would seem more interesting and fair to share their doctrine on this board so we would both have something to compare to."

- One doesn't need to belong to a religion and have man written doctrine to compare ideologies. I practice love for all and DO donate to charity. I don't do it for tax reasons or because a church tells me to. I just love people and want to spread that.

How do you compare your doctrines to my ideology of love?

• Kith Huntington Beach, CA
    May 2, 2012 3:33 p.m.

donn, "conceived by the power of the Holy Ghost" not begotten by the Holy Ghost. Christ is begotten of the Father through the power of the Holy Ghost.

• Convert Cedar City, UT
    May 2, 2012 3:37 p.m.

We have a "living" church, not one set in stone. Every General Conference there are new inspired truths to guide us.

Many large and small doctrines have changed since Joseph Smith's time:

1.Polygamy during mortality. Now we practice monogamy during mortality. Men, during mortality, can be sealed to more than one woman,as long as they are dead. Dead women can be sealed to more than one dead man (polyandry).

2. African black men can now hold the Priesthood.

3. Caffiene is no longer forbidden.

4. Facial hair is now against the general rule for leaders.

And there are many more subtle and not-so-subtle changes during this past 172 years. It is a living church. That makes it the only effective doctrine for every generation.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    May 2, 2012 8:03 p.m.

I would invite those who truly are interested in understanding the beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to read the Doctrines of Salvation. President Joseph Fielding Smith wrote this with the help of the holy spirit and it will clear up any misconceptions you feel or have heard. There are three volumes..I've been a member all of my 66 years of life and still learn much and understand much clearer when I read books such as the Book of Mormon and the Doctrines of Salvation and do it through sincere prayer. It works...it always has and always will continue to work.

• donn layton, UT
    May 2, 2012 8:08 p.m.

RE: Kith, "conceived by the power of the Holy Ghost" not begotten by the Holy Ghost. Christ is begotten of the Father through the power of the Holy Ghost. Wrong,
    This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about, His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. (Mt 1:18 NIV).

The Protevangelium, And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and HER seed(sperma,4690); it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel" (Genesis 3:15 LXX ).
    But when the fullness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, Made of a Woman, made under the law,(Galatians 4:4)

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    May 2, 2012 10:23 p.m.

AZRods,

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. We can let something negative take a scoop away, but even one simple act of kindness can overflow the gap 10-fold. I'm not keen on how things were posted on this article, but the record stands and I believe we've provided ample enough reason for anyone to know who is being respectful. I could say more, but I'm sure it would be criticized. I'd rather save my energy for a debate I'm more interested in defending. For now, suffice it to say that I agree with the rest of your comment.

• Grace Bakersfield, CA
    May 3, 2012 1:16 a.m.

Thank you, Jamshid. You tried. But all we have to do to "shatter Mormon myths" is to send folk to these posts.

Plenty was shattered. What a shame.

• JM Lehi, UT
    May 3, 2012 12:15 p.m.

I haven't been following the DN as much as I used to, but I still find the same full-time anti-Mormons trying to mislead with misinforming comments... will they never see that those who can be duped have already left, and those who can't don't fall for it? It is sad that people would spend their time on such things, and these same people are all over the internet, sometimes they pose as LDS, sometimes they pose as Christian, most often they are gay activists, employed to "destroy the Utah brand".

• Whos Life RU Living? Ogden, UT
    May 3, 2012 1:41 p.m.

JM,

I resigned from the LDS faith a few years back and I find it entertaining to see the remarks on religious comment boards. It is fun to see other peoples viewpoints on what they believe.

I've missed your derogatory remarks. Welcome back!

• DRay Roy, UT
    May 4, 2012 7:47 a.m.

Read the "what ? would you like to ask Mormons" article, enjoyed reading the questions of leaders of other churches or faiths. I used to be a mailman, and really understand how dogs will bark fiercely until actually confronted, then often they run away...there will be critics, probably should be, but hopefully there is also a genuine desire to understand, give a fair listen to the answers to these questions.

• beatrice Beaverton, OR
    May 4, 2012 10:17 a.m.

...................

Who is 'they' ? Students of Mormonism know that Mormon doctrines most certainly does NOT teach what the Bible teaches on this.
    ....................

"He is the first of the human family; and when he took a tabernacle (Body), it was begotten by his Father in heaven, after the same manner as the tabernacles of Cain, Abel and the rest of the sons and daughters of Adam and Eve; from the fruits of the earth, the first earthly tabernacles were originated by the Father and son in succession…..Jesus, our elder brother, was begotten in the flesh by the same character that was in the garden of Eden, and who is our Father in Heaven" (Journal of Discourses, 1:50-51)

• beatrice Beaverton, OR
    May 4, 2012 12:29 p.m.

Convert in Cedar City: Whether or not you drink caffeine or have a beard has nothing whatsoever to do with Life Eternal and Salvation. Non-Christians need to know that there
    is nothing whatsoever in the Word of God about such things. But this presents an opportunity...if it will be taken...to point out why non-LDS consider Mormonism to be a
    cult. Requiring compliance to such things is a method of mass control. I do not wish
    to debate that specifically, but really hope at least one LDS here can stop and think...
    on your own...how such practices are perceived by non-LDS.

Did Jesus ever command women to wear only dresses to worship?
    Did Jesus ever offer directions about facial hair?
    Did Jesus ever condone polygamy...no matter what world you are referencing?

All are NO. These kind of commandments are made of Man and coincide with Man-made
    religions.

• beatrice Beaverton, OR
    May 4, 2012 12:33 p.m.

Anyone who does not believe Mormonism is called anti-LDS.

Then with that logic,
    Anyone who does not believe in Christianity, and Christianity alone, could be called
    anti-Chrisitian...correct?

YOUR logic, not mine.

Mormons are taught "anti" from the cradle. Perhaps we could use the term
    NON-LDS and NON-CHRISTIAN.

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    May 5, 2012 9:08 a.m.

Discussion in these "comment sections" become problematic because of our use of words to convey meanings. We don't universally apply identical meanings to the same words, and it can become insulting if true intents are not clear. One misunderstanding leads to a counter misunderstanding, and off we go.

Another problem is: you do not have to be wrong for me to be right, or visa versa.

Additional misunderstandings occur when explanations by Church leaders and others are taken as doctrine, or merely taken out of context for lack of attention span. There are very few actual doctrines, but being human, we beg for explanations. It is sometimes in these explanations that speculations creep in. Stick to doctrines.

Doctrine=Jesus is the actual Son of God. Speculation=Anything dealing with how this was accomplished.

Doctrine=Jesus Christ has restored His church to the earth. Speculation=when that restoration has become complete.

When Mormons speak of the Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit, we picture the third member of the Godhead. Other Christians picture God Himself. Mormons do not believe Jesus is the child of the third member of Godhead, but we do believe he is the Son of God.

• zoar63 Mesa, AZ
    May 5, 2012 6:03 p.m.

@atl134

“1. That's insulting.
    2. This is why people think the LDS church tries to hide stuff since you're expressing encouragement for withholding some information from potential converts.”

I guess Christ was insulting also. He first made the remark.

• zoar63 Mesa, AZ
    May 5, 2012 6:12 p.m.

@donn

"The “pale” of Christianity believes the birth of Jesus was a unique miracle by the Holy Spirit/Ghost same Greek word. God the Holy Spirit,3rd person of the Trinity ,no problem for Christians."

About that trinity. What ever became of Christs body after he was resurrected. If there is a trinity does that mean Christ is the only one in it who has a who has a body?

• JustChuck Nashville, TN
    May 6, 2012 7:07 p.m.

It's hard to muster large amounts of sympathy over the misconceptions of the Mormon faith as long as the church still actively promotes them.

Last time I checked, the missionaries and the church's website still promote standard definitions of "translation" when referring to the Book of Mormon and Book of Abraham. Investigators and members alike are forced to visit "anti-Mormon" sites to hear any mention of peep stones in a hat or Egyptian funeral texts. And until the church chooses to be more forthcoming about these things, there will still be a huge shock value registered among members and non-members alike when they learn the church chooses to use a simple word like "translate" to mean something that none of us ever imagined before.

• crunchem Cedar City, Utah
    June 25, 2012 5:55 p.m.

beatrice,"Anyone who does not believe Mormonism is called anti-LDS.

Then with that logic,
    anti-Chrisitian...correct?

YOUR logic, not mine.

Mormons are taught "anti" from the cradle. Perhaps we could use the term
    NON-LDS and NON-CHRISTIAN"

(shakes head) Who said anyone not a member of the church is against the church? That's just silly. Only one who fights and impugns the church and its members would properly be called anti. Many of my neighbors are not members, and we live in peace. They are not "anti", just neighbors. Only the obsessed attacker of the church down the street would be considered an "anti"; he knows it, and I know it. Mormons arenot taught "anti" from the cradle; they figure it out later, and usually apply it properly.

You have not properly applied any logic here, just perpetuated the illusion of Mormons' supposed intolerance.

• crunchem Cedar City, Utah
    June 25, 2012 6:01 p.m.

@JustChuck The funeral text thing has more recently pretty much been dismissed as a non-issue. And regarding the use of the word translation, would it somehow make it more clear to everyone if in describing various methods of translating the church alternated between "peeping" or "inspiration" or "meditating" or "hat-looking" or "seerstoning"? Does it really make a difference? Isn't it just easier to use one or two common words that are understood to mean "change from one language into another" like "translate" or "interpret". Does it really matter if say, 1 Nephi was translated with Urim and Thummin but Alma was rendered with a clear stone? Either way, it's translating, so just chill.