U.S. & World

Seeking to unite GOP base, Romney will deliver Liberty commencement

Comments

• Jonas Denver, Colorado
    April 21, 2012 12:49 p.m.

It probably isn't very "christian" of me, but I have to admit that I do enjoy seeing the squirming coming from the politically-inclined evangelicals who now, after attacking Romney so vehemently the past two elections cycles as non-christian, are forced to talk about how Romney is their man.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    April 21, 2012 12:52 p.m.

Always fun to hear what Romney will say!
    Mitt, nothing just off the top of your head! Stick to your script, please!

• USA Salt Lake City, UT
    April 21, 2012 1:51 p.m.

Best of luck, and stick to the teleprompter.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    April 21, 2012 1:53 p.m.

This is the place where a young LDS man in a wheelchair was acosted and his Book of Mormon confiscated. True story. I have met him.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    April 21, 2012 2:16 p.m.

Liberty University is an hour away. At least they let our YM//YW have ice skating activities at their ice rink. I hope in the future Mitt will come speak at Southern Virginia University, since about 95% of the students are LDS and Mitt's former missionary companion is on the board of directors.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    April 21, 2012 2:27 p.m.

Well, of course Mitt's companion is on the Board of Directors!
    Should we expect anything less?

• Christy Beaverton, OR
    April 21, 2012 3:17 p.m.

From the article:

"By Friday morning," CNN's religion blog reported, "more than 700 comments had been posted on the school's Facebook page about the Thursday announcement — a majority of them decidedly against the Chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr.’s invitation, citing that the school had taught them Mormonism isn’t part of the Christian faith."

Liberty student Janet Loeffler, 53, voiced her anger in a CNN interview that the university invited Romney to come to commencement. She also sent CNN "a copy of the page of the textbook Liberty provides freshmen — 'The Popular Encyclopedia of Apologetics' — which includes the passage, 'Mormon doctrine stands in stark contrast to Jewish and Christian monotheism.'"

===============

Oh, dear. What a dillema. Will they hold their nose or just stay home in November?

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    April 21, 2012 4:03 p.m.

Romney, once again, panders to get votes. Business as usual. The country deserves better.

• floridian navarre, fl
    April 21, 2012 4:28 p.m.

Furry1993...I would suggest that accepting an invitation to be a commencement speaker is not pandering, no matter the school. Would you require that the Oval Office incumbent turn down all invites to be a commencement speaker at any school this graduation season? Or does that not meet your definition of pandering 'cause it may be a campaign advantage for the President?

• cambodia girl Phnom Penh, Cambodia
    April 21, 2012 6:21 p.m.

Liberty = the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views

Sounds like the school needs to change it's name.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    April 21, 2012 6:44 p.m.

Americans! Please stop bickering and unite behind a solid candidate and outstanding leader, Mitt Romney, and defeat Obama in November! Get real, people!

• ProvoLow Provo, UT
    April 21, 2012 9:11 p.m.

I, for one, am looking forward to reading the transcript and seeing just what Mitt has to say to this particular audience. Will he stick to the predictable "pro-liberty", patriotic, free-market, "anti-socialist" shtick? (Boring!) Will he try to convince them that he really is Christian? (Losing battle!) Will he really walk out on the thin ice and talk about his Mormonism? (Daring in front of this audience.) I'm just so curious... time will tell I guess.

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    April 21, 2012 10:44 p.m.

Seriously - these good folks are so hung up on the "Christian" thing that they cannot see the forrest for the trees.

Yes we have some different doctrines but we are still a Christ based religion. More importantly this USA of ours is suppose to be a non religious based country and these few fools cannot seem to get the chip off their shoulders.

Well go impress the MItt - do something spectacular. Say great things and be the man we all hope you can be.

But the smartest thing is to continue to avoid religion talks and focus on the message. (Which is exactly what he will do).

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    April 22, 2012 1:22 p.m.

To floridian | 4:28 p.m. 4/21

You are missing what is going on. Romney's invitation to Liberty University is a political ploy to say "look how conservative I am". He's trying to rack up political capital with a group that doesn't consider him their "favorite son." It's just one more stop in his attempt to be everything to everyone. That's very different from universities trying to get President Obama as a commencement speaker because it's an honor for them to have the serving President give the commencemet speech.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    April 22, 2012 6:39 p.m.

Seems to me like the Christian right is given a heretic Mormon an opportunity to redeem himself in exchange for their votes.

• DavidNL Holladay, UT
    April 22, 2012 9:44 p.m.

I've written Romeny's intro:

Dear liberty lovers, patriots and disciples of Jesus... I stand humbly before you and solemnly make a promise: "I will never turn my back on you during this election. I will stand by you. Respect your opinions. Walk by you. Make you promises. And humbly ask for your vote in November. And as I proudly stand before the American people taking the oath of office, I will have you to thank.

Then, game over.

Sincerely, Mitt

ps my flip flopping is different than Kerry's, really. I promise!

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    April 23, 2012 12:36 p.m.

I always ask my trinity friends if they believe Jesus took up his resurrected body on Easter morning, and then, if he doesn't possess that body today, where did he leave it?

• Eric Greene Holladay, UT
    April 23, 2012 8:13 p.m.

Mitt's lack of consistency is a black-eye on everything he does.

Mitt, please figure out what political ideology you stand on and then don't back down from it.

Conservatives, Liberals and moderates are confused as to whom you really are. And rightly so: you have voted across the spectrum, and spoken for and against about every single major policy.

Confusion abounds...

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    April 24, 2012 10:53 a.m.

To BYUAlum |6:44 p.m. 4/21

Which Mitt? He changes every day. Flip . . . flop . . . flip . . . flop . . . flip . . . flop . . .

The problem is that Mitt is neter a solid candidate nor an outstanding leader. He's just a politician, who will say and do whatever it takes to get elected (and to heck with the truth, ethics or honor in the process). You get real, put away the blinders, and see him for what he really is. A disaster looking for a place to happen. The United States deserves better.

• JM Lehi, UT
    April 25, 2012 9:53 a.m.

I'm still a somewhat undecided voter, but I know a few things: Mitt is a Christian (his faith is closer to Biblical Christianity than any I've studied, evangelicals have issues with Deification, but non-LDS scholars say that was taught by "all" early Christians, including Catholics etc); his flip flops are nothing like Obama's (see U-Turn President), Santorum's (see evangelicals for Mitt) etc; and, he seems most capable of getting us out of the mess we are wading through (sometimes it seems God really has darned America... maybe we get what we pray for : ), I think Mitt will be praying and singing "God bless America, land that I love!!!" louder than anyone). I could be losing my job soon, due to inaction by our Nations leaders, and I just hope we won't let petty religious bigotry decide the fate of our Country.

• Dr. Thom Long Beach, CA
    Feb. 27, 2014 9:02 p.m.

Sometimes the best strategy to defeat a common enemy is to form an alliance for the common good. Do we really want four to eight more years of demagoguery or at least a chance to turn the country and economy back on track?

Lead, follow or get out if the way and realize that a coalition between all Christians ( and yes Mormons are Christians and the pundits have no close as to what they are saying) is the best way to take control of the WH and Congress.

Get over yourselves and fight for the common good.