Utah

Canyons chief sees no need for survey, investigation

Comments

• Z South Jordan, UT
    April 19, 2012 9:07 a.m.

I don't live in the Canyons district, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but I have found all of the proceedings of the last few weeks to be very curious. I'm sure that Dr. Doty sees no need for an investigation, but his view is not the one that really matters, and in fact the view of the school board may not matter; ultimately, they are public officials representing the people of the Canyons school district. This is not a private company that can do its business however it pleases; this is a public school district that has to do its work in the public spotlight.

Frankly, I'm amused that the board had taken offense at the KSL investigation. It is always easy to blame the messenger. I also find it interesting that Dr. Doty claims to want feedback from the teachers, but refuses to make it an anonymous survey. Even if he really is a fair and honest boss, with allegations of intimidation hanging over him he will never get true feedback because of the implied threat of retaliation. Canyons must take action now before it is irreparably damaged.

• On the other hand Spanish Fork, UT
    April 19, 2012 12:15 p.m.

As a general rule, pretending that nothing is going on when some have suggested otherwise is not a good leadership strategy and won't make issues go away.

• BU52 Provo, ut
    April 19, 2012 4:30 p.m.

When a guy makes nearly twice as much as the governor of the state in a very public office, he should be scrutinized occasionally. But the tenor of the meeting makes me wonder if the Board works for him?

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    April 19, 2012 4:51 p.m.

If Doty resigns than he is absolutely correct that the District does not require an investigation.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 19, 2012 5:27 p.m.

I am not surprised.

Arsonists never like it when the fire department is called to put out the flames.

With all the smoke coming from this issue, there are flames in there somewhere in this excessivley expensive and dysfunctional school district.

• Navyvet taylorsville, utah
    April 19, 2012 5:43 p.m.

Doty may have a problem with anonymous surveys but he apparently didn't have a problem with the anonymous allegation that ended up with him going on a crusade to crucify two administrators at Alta High and to blacken the name and reputation of a fine school.

A thousand people is not enough to get a second look at his conduct but it only took one to set him on a rampage.