Faith

Jewish-Americans strongly prefer Mormons over evangelicals

Comments

• Lance78 West Hollywood, CA
    April 18, 2012 9:37 a.m.

While there was a definite difference in Jewish-Americans views towards evangelicals and mormons, I'd hardly call a rating of 47 for mormons "warmth". A 47 rating seems more likely to indicate a lukewarm or neutral feeling.

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2012 10:07 a.m.

I am a member of the LDS church and always have had particularly strong feelings of love, brotherhood, respect, and admiration for those of the Jewish faith. Perhaps I am not the only one and perhaps those feeling are, in some form, mutual.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    April 18, 2012 10:16 a.m.

78 percent of them voted for Mr. Obama; the irony is many conservative evangelicals condemn socialism and yet put Israel (which leans socialist) on a pedastal.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    April 18, 2012 11:04 a.m.

Why is the LDS Church so concerned with a popularity contest?

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    April 18, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Yeah, right, now people will claim that Mitt will carry the Jewish vote. Unfortunately they are mostly Democrat.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2012 11:17 a.m.

Most Jews I have known have expressed very deeply a desire for religious tolerance, freedom of religion, and a great deal who want "a better tomorrow"- or the attitude of improving on what we do good instead of the destructive alternative. Jews have a history of 'doing things well', good stewardship, and so on.

While the LDS Church has its differences, it has all those in common, which can easily translate to some similarities in what kind of people we want to be.

Furthermore, it isn't a secret that the LDS Church has historically held great respect for Jews. Some people cite certain LDS scripture as "anti-Semitic" but always out of context. The Book of Mormon condemns and praises different people at different times. Just as the Jews went from righteousness to wickedness when Lehi left Jerusalem and when Christ lived- The Nephites went from a righteousness to wickedness at different points, as did the Lamanites. But the truth is that Nephi himself WAS a Jew.

Jews that understand actual LDS beliefs instead of false accusations- typically are very good friends of the LDS Church. Peace requires looking for friendship in each other, not in hating each other.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2012 11:28 a.m.

A Scientist,

Why are you so concerned with always trying to disprove the LDS Church?

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    April 18, 2012 11:33 a.m.

To "A Scientist" the LDS church isn't concerned with their popularity. The study was done by "The Public Religion Research Institute". Maybe you should ask them why they are concered with LDS popularity.

• Utah Native Farmington, UT
    April 18, 2012 11:37 a.m.

My LDS parents raised us with a deep respect for the Jewish culture. They had Jewish friends and colleagues and there was mutual respect between them. My grandfather sang with the Mormon Tabernacle choir AND was a volunteer cantor for the Jewish synagogue. He gave his son the name of his Jewish friend who had been killed in battle in WWII. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I believe in the literal gathering of Israel and look upon the Jews as a chosen people, regardless of whether or not they approve of my faith.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    April 18, 2012 11:58 a.m.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

• BH Tremonton, UT
    April 18, 2012 12:10 p.m.

A scientist;

As pointed out above, the survey was not taken by the LDS faith, but an independent study group.

but to answer your question, most Mormons are not so concerned with popularity from others. If that were the case, they would not adhere to being a Mormon. for if popularity is the goal it would be much better to some other Christian faith. I would suggest that Mormon's interest in such survey results, is a feeling of satisfaction that their love and respect for their fellow man is recognized and appreciated by another group of people. And in the case of the Jews, a people that most Mormons feel a type of kinship to.

While Jews don't share with Mormons a belief in Jesus Christ as our Saviour and Redeemer, most Mormons do recognize them as being a chosen people, as testified to in the Holy Bible. And as others have mentioned, there may be other reasons of this feeling of a kinship. But it is always nice to feel that one's love and respect are reciprocated.

Hope that answers your question.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    April 18, 2012 12:23 p.m.

While Mormons may baptise the occasional dead Jew, they can at least appreciate the thought and concern.

Evengelicals just tell the Jews, their ansestors are going to hell.

This is probably why Jews prefer Mormons.

• Utexmom Flower Mound, TX
    April 18, 2012 12:42 p.m.

Some evangelists are very intolerant of Jews and Mormons. Jews because they do not believe in Jesus Christ and Mormons because we believe in a "different Christ". That is ok with me because I do believe in a different Jesus Christ than the one that doesn't expect anything out of anyone. I do not believe in the once saved - always saved doctrine. The Jesus Christ that I believe in lifts me out of the lowliness of human existence into a higher realm of being (with His help) and he heals us of our trials (when we come unto him).

I have known of instances when evangelists wouldn't have any association with Jews or Mormons.
    I find it interesting when Christians behave unchristian to prove that they are Christian.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    April 18, 2012 12:43 p.m.

The problem is that there are only 37000 different christian churches out there; what the world needs are a few more. Where are the Joseph Smiths of the world when you need them.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    April 18, 2012 12:53 p.m.

What this study tells us is that the whole "proxy baptisms for Holocaust victims" thing has been blown totally out of proportion. Apparently it matters very little your average member of the Jewish faith. Shocking that the media would make a mountain out of a molehill.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    April 18, 2012 1:50 p.m.

A voice of Reason wrote:

"A Scientist,
    Why are you so concerned with always trying to disprove the LDS Church?"

Where did you get the idea I am "always trying to disprove the LDS Church?" And what does that have to do with this article?

Worrying about whether Jews have a generally favorable or unfavorable opinion of the LDS Church is a concern with popularity. It is a valid question to wonder why the LDS Church (or LDS people generally) are so concerned with their Church's popularity.

My comment was on topic. Yours was not.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    April 18, 2012 2:00 p.m.

BH,

I appreciate your attempt at an answer. Unlike another response to my comment, at least yours was reasonable.

The truth is, the LDS IS very concerned with "popularity". That is why the Church commissions its own research to determine whether other groups have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of the Church and its people. The Church has a mature PR Department, and employs social scientist researchers to discover public impressions. Then the Church designs Public Relations campaigns targeted to change the public perception of the Church.

Hence, the "I'm a Mormon" campaigns in a number of states.

That concern is not based on mutual affection among different religious groups. It is a marketing concern. But it begs the question as to exactly how modern marketing strategies can be justified as fulfilling Jesus' command to "preach the gospel to every creature".

Indeed, such a public relations/popularity mentality could be seen as violating Jesus' command found in Matthew 6:1 (and elsewhere).

• JM Lehi, UT
    April 18, 2012 2:15 p.m.

The Jewish people I have known have been very tolerant of others. They don't hate people for good intentions (even if misdirected), and understand that they can't believe everything said about a faith, especially when it's negative and based in propaganda.

For example, many Jews were less hateful than evangelicals and liberals while Mormons tried to stop the Baptism thing.
    Here is a quote from the Boston Globe:

"Outraged by proxy baptisms? Count me out. As my stunted family tree attests, the Jewish people have very real, very dangerous enemies. Mormons undergoing peaceful rituals in their own temples aren’t on the list."

Some OTHERS, however, spend their days trying to promote bigotry against religious minorities, even some scientists (not just those working for Hitler), and it seems they are very disappointed when they fail to get people to hate Mormons.... ; )

• md Cache, UT
    April 18, 2012 2:51 p.m.

@ A Scientist

The study wasn't conducted by the church. The article simply contains information that members of the church might find interesting. Your comment was on topic. It was, however, incorrect in it's assumption that it meant Mormons are always so concerned about their popularity.

You must also have some curiosity about the church or you wouldn't have bothered reading the article.

• Coach Biff Lehi, UT
    April 18, 2012 3:13 p.m.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    April 18, 2012 3:39 p.m.

md,

I am aware that "The study wasn't conducted by the church." That makes no difference to my point.

• Tiger5 Cache county, USA
    April 18, 2012 4:10 p.m.

Why do we care science boy? Cause a Mormon is our nomination. We would like to understand his chances of getting the Jewish vote.

• screenname Salt Lake City, UT
    April 18, 2012 4:44 p.m.

A Scientist,

Your response to BH seems to indicate that you were not asking your question in good faith, but rather were trying to bait someone into a worthless argument.

There is no answer to that question that someone as biased as you would accept. Were Mormons not involved in trying to gauge their relationships with other communities, we would be accused (as we often are) of being insensitive and intolerant of other people's views. Yet when we do studies to determine what other people think of us (as others have mentioned, this article is NOT about such a study, which makes your comment off-topic), you accuse us of being overly concerned with popularity and PR.

Since the Church cannot do any good in your eyes, one can only surmise that your numerous comments on stories related to the LDS Church are nothing more than sour grapes.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    April 18, 2012 5:22 p.m.

Non mormon Utahans definitely do NOT prefer mormons.

• Capella Bakersfield, CA
    April 18, 2012 8:00 p.m.

How sad, how quickly you all go at each other. Why even comment in the poll? It is what it is.

I grew up Mormon in L.A. with mostly Jewish friends and we loved to share Shabbat dinner with them. When I became an evangelical our friendships never changed, nor did they care. Many factors were never explored in this poll.

(I have been treated far kinder by my Jewish friends than by Mormon family and friends following my conversion. But none of those factors changed my love for my LDS community.)

• EnglishAlan Rugeley, Staffs
    April 19, 2012 1:10 a.m.

@ A Scientist.

You said,

"Trying to show that "cool" people are Mormons (or vice-versa) is not "preaching the gospel". Trying to change the public's impressions of the Church is not "preaching the gospel".

If you are a scientist, surely you should base your assumptions on research. (My son-in-law is a geneticist, and he bases all of his findings in that manner.) Research shows that we Latter-day Saints are being knocked by various groups, and this can provide a reticence in some to listen to our message of the Church of Jesus Christ restored in latter-days. If a scientist finds, say, a harmful substance that is causing concern for a sick person, will he not try to find a cure? Our message is under attack from outside sources, and impressions can prevent the true message going forth. Whether you like it, or do not, research says that these programmes are working, and bringing about a "cure." They allow the message to get through, and as a result are very much "Preaching the Gospel."

• donn layton, UT
    April 19, 2012 7:50 a.m.

Re; Coach Biff, Never ceases to amaze me that those who are disaffected and at odds with the church are some of the first to comment on all things LDS. I wonder if they understand that they are the embodiment of the fulfillment of prophecy?
    Brigham Young, Can you make a Christian of a Jew? I tell you Nay, If a Jew comes into this church ,and the blood honestly professes to be a Saint, a follower of Christ, and if the blood of Judah is in his veins, he will apostatize.(JoD V. 2 p. 142)

• Mr DL Bel Air, MD
    April 19, 2012 8:37 a.m.

This article brought back memories of growing up in a small town in the Bible Belt in the 1970s. Our elementary school had a Bible Trailer just off the property, and the kids have one or two periods a week where they would attend Bible Class in the trailer. Those that chose not to attend would go to the library instead. When our class had our turn to attend bible class, I opted out. The predominant christian church in our area was fairly antagonistic to Mormons. As it ended up, two Jewish boys, Mark and Elon, joined me, a Mormon in the library. The three of us became friends and enjoyed our time in the library together.

• Arkansas_gal DE QUEEN, AR
    April 19, 2012 9:35 a.m.

I hold our Jewish brothers and sisters with great reverence and respect. These are God's chosen people and I respect the struggles that they have gone through. I live in the Bible belt and must drive 45 mintues to attend my branch on Sunday and must be there even earlier to attend meetings beforehand. My Stake center is 2 1/2 hours away. My Jewish friends must drive even farther to attend services. I think that living in an area of religious intolerance makes us appreciate the struggles of other religions. I work with a lady of Jewish faith and make sure to honor her traditions as much as I honor the Christian traditions.

• justhappytobehere Orem, UT
    April 19, 2012 5:49 p.m.

Okay, let's try this again. Last time I was somehow denied for name-calling and racism. All I said was that I thought it was funny (comical) that it's reported that Jewish-Americans are reported to like Mormons better than Evangelicals, but with rating of only 47 out of 100, it doesn't seem like they like Mormons much, does it? And the way it was stated in the article made me laugh out loud.

• waterperson Saint George, UT
    April 22, 2012 12:15 a.m.

I find this interesting. I AM JEWISH and moved to Saint George 3 years ago from Maryland. I have found the LDS People very friendly and nice. Very family oriented like the Jews and have been very kind to me. By the way I am a Republican and very conservative. I feel very comfortable living here and like the Mormons very much.