Faith

Wright Words: The story you haven't heard about David Archuleta's LDS mission

Comments

• rhed31 Draper, UT
    April 17, 2012 6:20 a.m.

That was very sweet. Thank you for the story.

• joshbrown Springfield, IL
    April 17, 2012 10:00 a.m.

David is very special. I remember his voice coach, Dean, said he always visited his old neighbors and after the fame, he still visits them and care about them. I also remember he would arrange a personal meeting with cancer patients right after his concerts and we, fans, were moved to tears reading their experiences with David. I also remember how an unknown cleaning lady in Malaysia talked to her school principal when she ran into him. She said he asked her name and thanked her to keep the school clean. With no cameras around, nobody would have known if she didn't tell the principal. The principal visited a fansite and wrote it. I also remember he visited a nursing home right before a concert on a very cold winter night. He sang a Christmas song for them and asked their names individually. Again nobody knew it until a daughter of a resident told a fan. Perhaps many stories like these have not been revealed but touched hearts of many who have received his care in one way or another. Such a remarkable young man.

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    April 17, 2012 10:13 a.m.

How do we compare this young man to Justin Baby? Remember how Justin Baby hit the airport workers hand when he/she was holding his own CD?

• Forrestc Greenway, AR
    April 17, 2012 10:29 a.m.

I supported David Archuletta from day one and was so very pleased to hear he was choosing to go on a mission. This truly is a very special young man and your story brought me to tears.

• cassiem Brigham City, Utah
    April 17, 2012 4:00 p.m.

Thanks for this wonderful story!! David is a beautiful young man inside & out! He is involved in several charities & has been known to do numerous kind things for people. The only way fans ever find out is if someone shares them with others. David is very kind and humble unlike many young celebrities today!! I wish him the best on his mission!!

• Downtime Saint George, UT
    April 17, 2012 4:16 p.m.

What a nice contrast to those LDS athletes who choose to play professional sports, rather than serve a mission.

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    April 17, 2012 4:28 p.m.

Great stories about ashley and about elder archuleta. Both the people and their stories are really inspiring!

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    April 17, 2012 4:57 p.m.

Downtime: Why do you feel a need to make such an observation? This is a well-written article about a charitable act by an apparently kind person. I was having a wonderful experience not only with the article but with the comments. But it seems there is always someone who decides to pollute what is pure.

From all accounts (I don't know him), David is a good person. But, like all of us, there will be times he makes mistakes. I hope you don't intend to judge him too harshly when he falls short of your ideals.

• oldphatone OREM, UT
    April 17, 2012 8:06 p.m.

I just wanted to comment on the article. I was touched by the young woman in this story. What a trooper. I was touched by what Dr. McGavin and David did.
    By the way I am the artist who drew the picture

• Burghmom Pleasant Grove, Utah
    April 17, 2012 10:17 p.m.

My family has followed David since American Idol, so we know that this is actually pretty common for David to do wonderful things like this. He is a truly amazing person-- one of a kind, especially for someone who has experienced fame. It hasn't spoiled him a bit. He just uses it for good. He is such a stellar example to all who come into contact with him.

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    April 18, 2012 7:06 a.m.

Leave the poor guy alone, and let him serve his mission in peace. Let him oave public obscurity during the next two years so he can be just one more Elder, and not someone of note who happens to be serving a mission. That's the best thing we can all do for him, and for our Heavenly Father whom he is now serving.

• Henry C. Jackson, MS
    April 19, 2012 12:09 p.m.

David Archuleta is a good role model for people of all ages. I enjoyed reading your article, aside from the final verb choice.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    April 20, 2012 8:28 a.m.

It was a beautiful article about a young man who has chosen to be an example of Jesus Christ in the way he lives and the decisions he makes. It is obvious he has a very tender and caring heart and that is such an incredible example of loving and thinking of others. He is young but I believe he has been taught well and will continue through life uplifting others through his music and through his testimony that will grow and be shared on his mission.It's my hope he will continue to have the physical strength and spiritual desire to continue to be that "light" in many lives and in the service of the Lord.