Red roundup: Pundits opine about Utes' Bergstrom, Shelby

Comments

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 9, 2012 11:26 a.m.

Wow. Not bad for a guy that "wouldn't play on BYU's offense."

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    April 9, 2012 1:41 p.m.

@ StGtoSLC

Not a BYU article. Give us a break.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 9, 2012 2:45 p.m.

@Jonathan Eddy

Well then why did you read the article AND the comments? Give us a break.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 9, 2012 3:58 p.m.

Jonathan Eddy, the reference is over your head, and that's fine. A resident of Utah county gave his/her expectation for last September's game based on a head-to-head comparison of every position for both teams, concluding that nobody on Utah's offense would ever even see the field if they played in Provo, so it just makes me chuckle when people who actually make a living off of analyzing football talents rate Bergstrom an entire round better than BYU's best offensive player in years.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 9, 2012 6:01 p.m.

@stg

Actually if you weren't lying to try and make your non point you will recall I said bergstrom was the only one that might. I think it is obvious now that john white probably would as well but other than that none of them would. wynn would not start over Riley. None of the wr's would start over Hoffman or Apo although christopher would get into the rotation. None of the te's is worth mentioning. None of the o-line is either. You seem to forget utah had one of the absolutely worst offenses in the entire ncaa last year. They were really, really bad. Yes I know they beat up on BYU, but we also know that it wasn't really utah's offense. Defensive scores and extremely short fields provided by the defense were the reasons for that, not any stellar play by utah's supposed offense.

Enjoy your wi, I certainly would, but it is still what it is and utah's offense was still decidely bad last year.

• Proud Ute ,
    April 9, 2012 6:12 p.m.

StGtoSLC:
    Just need to keep that troll and his team in our rear view mirror where they belong.
    Congrats to Bergstrom and Shelby! Hope Cullen and others can get drafted or stick with a team later.
    The last word I read on Reynolds was "over-rated" and that was on ESPN.com.

• UTCOUNTYUTE1 Holladay, UT
    April 9, 2012 9:20 p.m.

No matter how bad Utah's offense was last year this article is based on Pro Football Weekly's "value board" based on feedback from NFL teams concerning this year's draft. So I am going to go ahead and believe that their opinion on players is a lot more valid than bitter BYU fans opinions. Tony Bergstrom has proven himself to be an amazing offensive lineman for all the years that he has played at Utah and he is consistent. He proved himself in the Senior Bowl, the combine, at his pro day where Matt Reynolds has not been so impressive. He had a good pro day but thats about it. I hope the best for him but if we're rating better or worse O-lines from last year I recall Utah's D-ends tossing BYU's O-line around like rag dolls. Good luck to all of Utah's (Utah the state not the team) NFL draft candidates for this year. Hopefully we can put out some amazing talent to represent our state!!!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 9, 2012 10:54 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Hoffman is a stud, I'd take him before any of the Utah receivers ... but Apo hasn't showed me anything. I'd take Christopher before him in a heartbeat.
    As for tight end, Utah is night and day better than the Y with Rogers, Murphy, Moala and Tonga. Anyone of those guys could fight for a starting spot at BYU. I'll bet on Murphy playing in the NFL one day - barring injury.
    As for the Utah offense being so terrible ... we all know the Utah offense would've been much stronger if not for one major problem ... quarterback. I love Hays for being a gamer and doing his best in a tough situation, but if Utah had a stronger backup QB last year, we all know the offense would've looked a lot better.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 10, 2012 12:02 a.m.

"Duckhunter
    Highland, UT
    @stg

Actually if you weren't lying to try and make your non point you will recall I said bergstrom was the only one that might."

You really volleyed this one right over the net to me! And you called ME a LIAR, to boot! Hysterical!

"No I don't want to retract. There is not a one of them outside of White that is better than anything BYU has. No bergstrom is not better, and neither is stevens."
    10:03 a.m. Dec. 14, 2011

I think that whole "hypocrite" thing gets thrown out there so much these days that it devalues the word, so I'm just going to give you benefit of the doubt that you entirely forgot a very specific and emphatic statement from just a few months ago.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 10, 2012 12:22 a.m.

motorbike, Tonga will likely be a defensive end this fall, and Moala is actually a fullback. At TE look for Moeai and Rogers to receive the most reps once they're healthy, and Murphy will probably get quite a few looks in the passing game, along with Rogers. Also, not sure if they want to play him at DE or TE or even FB this year, but David Rolf is a beast as well, so don't be surprised to see him get in the mix.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 10, 2012 7:25 a.m.

Oh, and I loved reading this part again as well:

"BYU appears to have several future NFL players on their offense, I think you'll be hard pressed to find even one on utah's."

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 10, 2012 9:51 a.m.

@stg

I still don't think bergstrom is better. Do you know what "might" means? Nice try but fail.

LOL!

• ute4eva rialto, CA
    April 10, 2012 10:32 a.m.

ok..bergstrom is a pretty good player..and so i shelby..but a Ute that was not mentioned was Lei Talamaivao..i think maybe because he was hurt last year he didnt get alot of playing time..but i think this kid is better than both of those put together..and i hope he gets a chance to play in the next level

• UTCOUNTYUTE1 Holladay, UT
    April 10, 2012 12:26 p.m.

We will see what the NFL coaches think on draft day about Bergstrom vs Reynolds. I'm going to say three Utes drafted and 1 BYU guy.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 10, 2012 1:00 p.m.

@StGtoSLC

Thanks for correcting me, I indeed meant Moeai - not Moala. I did however mean exactly what I said about Tonga being among our very good tight ends ... if Utah wasn't so deep at that position we wouldn't be trying Tonga at DE.
    As for saying Moeai and Roger will get the most reps ... I don't think that's how it'll play out ... Murphy's tearing it up in practice right now and looks like the best player we have at TE. That being said, Rogers and Moeai have the experience. Rogers may get the starter reps but I fully expect Murphy will overtake Moeai and see plenty of balls thrown his way.
    While Rolf is "a beast" as well, I've heard he's getting reps at fullback among other positions.
    Bottom line, it's confusing with all the looks players are getting at other positions but again this has everything to do with how deep the TE talent currently is, a position BYU was abnormally weak at last season despite what Duckhunter wants to admit.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 10, 2012 2:23 p.m.

autcountyute1

The highest ranked player between the two schools is Hebron Fangupo of BYU. It will not turn out the way you predict.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 10, 2012 2:25 p.m.

@motorbike

You mean a position BYU was "abnormally" injured at last season. They'll be back to normal, which means better than almost any other team in the country, at TE this season. utah will not be nearly as good or deep.

• Proud Ute ,
    April 10, 2012 3:50 p.m.

Troll,
    The highest ranked player between the two schools is Hebron Fangupo of BYU.

Incorrect and not even that close. Predicted 5th Round at best.
    Bergstrom 137/2511
    Fangupo 168/2511

The Draft is just a couple weeks away. You'd better get that plane ticket to Tulsa or line up whatever lame excuse your going to use when you disappear for three weeks this time.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 10, 2012 4:56 p.m.

Duckhunter
    Highland, UT

....and yet it was 54-10 and all that great offensive might produced what?? One touchdown.

LOL

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 10, 2012 6:29 p.m.

@Duckhunter -

That's exactly right, I readily admit BYU was abnormally bad at TE last year, it's a position BYU is typically very strong at - no question.

However, Utah is abnormally strong at TE right now (yes I also admit Utah is usually pathetic at TE). So though I won't profess to know how stacked or not stacked BYU is at that position, it would be hard to beat what Utah's got this year.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    April 10, 2012 9:02 p.m.

motorbike, I've seen a lot of Murphy and know he's got crazy ball skills, but he's really not a good blocker. Moeai and Rolf are the best blockers, and decent pass catchers, and Rogers is pretty good at both. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in fall camp, but my best estimation is that the better blockers will see the field more.