Utah

Romney cuts off question on Mormon scripture

Comments

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2012 6:25 p.m.

Taking away my health insurance sure isn't going to lessen my burdens Romney...

• RyanWhiting OREM, UT
    April 2, 2012 7:01 p.m.

Just a bait question trying to throw off Romney. No one has problems with interracial marriage. There are two families in my neighborhood that have interracial marriages. Black, white, Polynesian and white. No one cares. What a joke of a question. People try to make race an issue when it isn't. This shouldn't be news, but it is on every news network. Let's move along and focus on real issues: the economy, unemployment--and the biggest one in my opinion--our nation's debt problem. Good for Romney for answering it quickly and moving back to what is most important.

• BO Holladay, UT
    April 2, 2012 7:21 p.m.

Get a job and buy it like I do. And if you are denied insurance for some condition pay for it. And if you can't the state will help you out. We can improve HC but not by increasing federal involvement.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    April 2, 2012 7:24 p.m.

@ atl. Be honest! Obamacare is NOT your health insurance! The only way it ever will be is if; #1 You cannot afford your own private insurance, which millions of people will claim, just to force other people to pay for you another welfare entitlement) which will bankrupt our country! #2: It is ruled constitutional (unlikely) by the Supreme Court.

• JMHO Southern, UT
    April 2, 2012 7:41 p.m.

but, my not having to pay for your insurance will lesson mine.

• kaparowitz A.F., UT
    April 2, 2012 7:41 p.m.

atl134 (or is it alt134)

You can always move to Canada. I hear it's the land of utopia when it comes to health insurance. (sarcastic)

• Dad San Antonio, TX
    April 2, 2012 7:44 p.m.

To atl134: I know what you mean. Our healthcare system is a mess!!at the same time, I have seen my own healthcare costs go from affordable to nearly unaffordable (prescriptions particularly). This has been as a result of obamacare. My.company simply can't maintain the coverage they've had in the past and the cost is passed onto me. This only makes sense though; somebody has to pay for it. Now in my eyes I don't think it is fair for me to be required to help pay healthcare costs for another when I can't hardly afford to pay for my own family. It's certainly broken and needs fixed but obamacare is not the answer that most Americans need; it only works for a small population of Americans.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    April 2, 2012 7:56 p.m.

@atl134

Are you telling me that, unless Obamacare stays intact, you have NO health insurance? Sorry, I don't buy it. I have family members with pre-existing conditions who can still get health insurance.

As for the article and the reporter, I have no doubt that Mitt Romney believes in the Book of Mormon. What's the point? Is he saying that Romney is a racist if he does? Does anyone really believe Mitt Romney is a racist?

• Utah Girl Vernal, UT
    April 2, 2012 8:58 p.m.

Asking Romney questions about Church Doctrine from earlier times (God can change that when He feels the time is right, which He did in 1978), makes about as much sense as asking Santorum about the Crusades, or the Catholic Church's persecution of people during the Middle Ages. That is the past, and has no bearing on today. I am LDS, white, and I have no problem with interracial marriages. I know many families who have adopted children of other races because they were orphans. We are all God's children. I wish people would just forget the religion issues and focus on fixing the problems in our country!

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 2, 2012 9:02 p.m.

Dad,

I hate to break it to you but health care costs have been rising at or near double digits long before Obama Care was even discussed. If you don't like Obama care fine I understand that. In discussing the "cause" for our almost 10% increase in our insurance costs for the current year our insurance broker told us that Obama care accounted for a little over 1% of the increase. I would really appreciate it if the far right would come up with an alternative to Obama care to solve the health care crisis. Please don't throw out "free market" either. The free market under republican presidents has led to consistent double digit increases. Anyone can take shots at another persons plan, but real leadership provides a real alternative which the republicans have yet to do.

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    April 2, 2012 9:26 p.m.

The problem with US healthcare is that it is fragmented state to state. Simply remove the barriers to insurance providers offering their products in all fifty states and the market will take care of itself.

I am sorry but the US government is not capable of creating or operating something as at once large and as personal as health care. As has happened with energy, education, the environment and just about any other 20th century invention of our Congress, it would just grind to a halt in a monstrous bureacracy that will serve no one properly. Capitalism is still the best and only way.

Ask yourself this: why is the president of the Western Hemisphere's newest socialist state going to Cuba for health care? Because his doesn't work either.

• Mick Murray, Utah
    April 2, 2012 10:10 p.m.

I am still waiting for an answer from Obama about Rev. Wright. How is it that he gets a free pass.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 2, 2012 10:47 p.m.

atl134,

People create their burdens.

• EnglishAlan Rugeley, Staffs
    April 3, 2012 1:04 a.m.

I just don't understand your reticence in the US over healthcare. We have had a National Health Service in the UK since 1947, and it works perrfectly well. The only time I have had any problem with healthcare was in California, when my 16 year-old daughter was taken ill. we had health insurance to a level on $10Million, and still the hospital took three hours to treat my daughter, as the health insurance "was not with an American Company." My daughter could have died whilst they dithered. (It turned out our insurance had an American sister company.)

I am far from anti-American, (very pro-American in most things)not a left-wing socialist, (I am condidered far right) but just cannot understand why the least capable in society can be just cast off as lazy, feckless or a drain on resources. I believe any civilised country can only be judged by how it treats it's most at risk citizens. I thought that your Constitution was for the people, by the people and of the people. It seems over the years that it has been amended by putting the words "some of" into each stanza.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    April 3, 2012 3:53 a.m.

atl134

Believe it or not, Obamacare is a complete joke.

Hear it from me people, and you may or may not believe it. I have clinicals twice a week at a major hospital here in Utah two times a week. During this last school year, I have been told straight from patients (who I have never met before) that Obamacare has already made it so they can't get colonoscopies, diabetic amputations, and breast removal for cancer.

Why can't they get these? Because they are too old, and the federal government has personally told them that they will not be paid for under the new healthcare bill. Why would these strangers tell me all this? This has to be made up. They just hate the President and his bill and are making rumors. Right?

Obamacare is a tax-raising death for a lot of people. But what do the elderly know?

• raybies Layton, UT
    April 3, 2012 6:12 a.m.

Mitt's gonna get hit with an assortment of distraction questions that cast aspersions of cultic nonsense. It's not about what Mitt believes, or about LDS doctrines, it's about scaring voters who've been predisposed to religious bigotry by generations of intolerant and manipulative clergy and religious bigots who've planted seeds of fear in the hearts of their parishioners.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    April 3, 2012 7:57 a.m.

John F. Kennedy always said he was running as a Democrat not as a Catholic when these questions came up. Romney sounds like he's trying to do something similar.

• BO Holladay, UT
    April 3, 2012 8:14 a.m.

English Alan. Your country is going broke and you don't really pay for the true cost of your defense. The US subsidizes Europes defense. If you had to pay for your true costs your socialistic HC would already be dashed. It will do it anyway in a few years.

The solution to HC is no government. Since the governments intrusion into the market, and every new fix, the costs just go higher. I don't have time to explain everything here. Bottom line is that the connection between cost of healthcare and personal accountability and responsibility must be intact. Employer or government based HC corrupt that basic principle.

• Observation Deck American Fork, UT
    April 3, 2012 9:02 a.m.

Fred, your broker is wrong. This is the first year that preventative care must be covered by insurance companies (first phase of Obamacare) and the insurance companies are quoting premium increases of 20% year over year. Yes, we have had 10% increases annually, but now we have doubled that. It costs the insurance companies significantly more to provide preventative care for everyone instead of paying for the much smaller number that get sick.

Don't misunderstand, I am all for having a routine health exam to make sure I am in working order, but I don't mind paying a co-pay or a percentage of that visit. Fundamentally, access to healthcare is not a right. Should we take care of the sick? Absolutely. But having the government dictate how that is paid for is simply wrong.

• cval Hyde Park, UT
    April 3, 2012 9:42 a.m.

EnglishAlan: I have lived under the UK National Health Service. To say it works perfectly well is just not true. Long lines, poor service, waiting lists, rationing... the list goes on and on.

Sure, its available to everyone at no cost. It is equally poor for everyone.

This is the lie of socialism. Everyone is equal... equally poor!!!

• Esquire Springville, UT
    April 3, 2012 9:56 a.m.

These comments leave me shaking my head. The article is not about health care or insurance. It is about Romney and his religion. Strings like this make me question the value of soliciting comments. I am more interested to hear why it is is OK for Romney to avoid talking about his religion in one moment, then talking about it in the next if it suits his purpose. As the campaign goes on, he won't be able to get away with this, particularly with the cumulative effect of everything being said and done in the 2012 campaign.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    April 3, 2012 11:11 a.m.

Observation Deck,

The broker that works with my organization is wrong? This company brokers for over 50 organizations in Utah and works with all the major insurance carriers in Utah and their statement on the cost of Obamacare come from the insurance companies as he receives their renewal rates. I highly doubt that they are wrong. Lets be factual and not use the scare tactics and misinformation of the far right talk show crowd. Health care in this country was killing the American worker long before Obamacare came to be, we need to end the demagoguery and solve the problem. We also need to end the government regulation demagoguery as well. My insurance is high because I pay for a large number of people who don't have insurance, not government regulation and that does not change with or without Obamacare. Its time for real solutions by real leaders not blaming the other side to try and win an election.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2012 1:45 p.m.

@Mountanman
    I am honest, I'm in an age bracket that got health insurance under Obamacare because I'm under 26 but I'm old enough that without Obamacare I would fall off it.

@kaparowitz
    You can move somewhere where Obama isn't president.

@A1994
    Yes, if Obamacare is repealed I will lose my health insurance. Of course I'll spent about 1,200 dollars to buy a new one.

@Utah Girl
    Romney was an adult when the priesthood ban was still in effect, it's arguably a valid question to ask why he was in a church that had that policy in place, and a valid question if he thinks it was wrong for the ban to ever have been in place (Huntsman has renounced the priesthood ban saying it shouldn't have ever been done).

@cval

I had to wait months in America to see a specialist for a condition that required surgery to take care of. My father in Germany had to wait a couple days to see a specialist for a condition that required surgery to be taken care of.