Blue roundup: BYU still in the running for Jabari Parker

Comments

• EdCullen Orem, UT
    April 2, 2012 10:03 a.m.

Come here Jabari!!
    This would be an amazing pickup, but I don't count on it.

• Otis Spurlock Ogden, UT
    April 2, 2012 10:24 a.m.

Jabari,

As someone who spent 7 years at byu, I can tell you that if you choose to attend you will be greatly underwhelmed. On the plus side, the CougarEat has the best taco salad that I have ever tasted. They also have decent firesides every Tuesday at the Marriott Center.

• IDC Boise, ID
    April 2, 2012 10:37 a.m.

Would love to have him. No place in the world like BYU for young men of faith. Jabari seems to be different than the average young NBA prospect and I'm sure he would absolutely love BYU and is an NBA lock either way.

Go Cougars!

• BoiseSuperBlue Mars University, Mars
    April 2, 2012 11:01 a.m.

Jabari, You also need to be aware that diversity at BYU is almost non-existent.

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    April 2, 2012 11:33 a.m.

Otis Spurlock, BoiseSuperBlue

Do you honestly think that he is coming on the Deseret News comment boards to get your advice? I think it's pitiful that you spend so much time and energy on the boards of a University you clearly don't support. I suggest finding something of value or true meaning for your time. I think your life will take a serious upswing. Can't get much worse right?

That being said, the only way he will be coming to BYU is if he plans to serve a mission. Otherwise He will be staying close to home and sign with a top program like Ohio State or Michigan State for 1 year before going pro. Either way, I wish him the best and hope he makes the right choice for him.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    April 2, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Jabari's waiting to see whether BYU gets into the Big XII. He won't want to waste his talents in front of small WCC crowds, playing a weak schedule.

When you're as talented as he seems to be, you want to give yourself the best opportunity to excel, and that's against top-notch opponents. Big XII, not WCC.

Here's hopin'!

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    April 2, 2012 12:04 p.m.

It's all about money in their future. I doubt that he will come here because of money.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 2, 2012 12:14 p.m.

I just found out from a VERY reliable source that Jabari Parker is considering the University of Utah.
    He has let the coaches know that he isn't just saying they have a chance but that they are truly being considered.
    Big news to even be in the discussion with what's happened at the U the last couple of years - up until now I hadn't heard a single word of Utah being remotely on his radar.
    Do I expect him to end up at the U? No. But I found it to be a bit interesting.
    I bet he ends up at a big name program in the midwest or the state of North Carolina.

• crowntown1 Corona, CA
    April 2, 2012 1:25 p.m.

BYU needs you more than you need them. No way this highly recruited player from Chicago plays
    BB at BYU. ACC or WCC hmmm you decide?

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    April 2, 2012 2:17 p.m.

"Other than that, be prepared to have overcrowded classes, long lines for everything and very little interaction with your teachers."

This is not a comment that would come from somebody who really spent 7 years at BYU. Overcrowded classes are typical of ANY university...for freshman and entry level classes. Once you get into upper level classes, they are much smaller and you DO have personal interaction with professors.

Methinks "7 years" was really "7 months".

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2012 2:37 p.m.

He'll find what he is looking for at BYU, just as others who have commented on this article, both positive and negative. Having spent four years at the u, undergraduate education is BYU's strength. His talent is unquestioned and if he considers all of the factors, BYU will be high in the mix. Considering Hall of Famers like Stockton and Nash who played in the WCC, if Parker plays well at BYU his future in the NBA and life is bright.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 2, 2012 2:42 p.m.

@motorbike

Bwaaahaaaahaaaahaaaaaaaaa............

• rblack Fulton, NY
    April 2, 2012 2:45 p.m.

It has been seen before and it will be seen again... good to great player goes to ACC school and with the promise of it being a launching ground to the NBA, sits the bench behind other good to great players. It has also been seen before and will be seen again...good to great player goes to small school, dominates against lesser competition, surrounded by decent, but not great, talent, gets noticed by NBA scouts, goes first round. There are advantages that BYU can give that are not available at ACC schools. BYU has a decent group of players. Many will play beyond their time at BYU. There may even be some roleplayers in the NBA someday. Jimmer would not have been Jimmer at Duke. The environment at BYU made Jimmermania possible. Jimmermania became possible because he was able to start early, develop his game and get noticed.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 2, 2012 3:09 p.m.

Myself included, many people find BYU a great experience.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 2, 2012 3:37 p.m.

@Duckhunter -

"Bwaaahaaaahaaaahaaaaaaaaa ............"

____________

I don't blame you for your reaction, I would expect it from anyone - including Ute fans. It doesn't make a ton of sense that Jabari would have the U on his list with the current state of affairs with Utah basketball.
    Like I said, I won't be holding my breath, but I can assure you that what I wrote is the truth.
    Keep in mind that my "source" is the same one that told me Junior Salt was decommitting from Florida to sign with the Utes (before the DNews had even a sniff of it) and that Brian Johnson was being seriously considered for offensive coordinator (again, LONG, LONG before the DNews had the remotest clue).
    So laugh if you want, but when it comes to light that Utah is actually on Jabari's list I'll gladly accept your apology.
    Then Jabari will laugh it up while playing 1 or 2 years for a team such as the Tar Heels.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 2, 2012 3:43 p.m.

Well look at that Ducky ... looks like we don't need to wait ...
    Rivals shows these 11 teams on Jabari's list:

Ohio State
    Utah
    Washington

apology accepted.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    April 2, 2012 4:20 p.m.

"the burden intensifying as the NBA's minimum age-limit rule of 19 continues to require players must be a year out of high school to be drafted".

So whichever college gets him, only has him for one year and then he's gone?

• Striker Omaha, NE
    April 2, 2012 8:51 p.m.

Motorbike, why would a top recruit go to a school that can only get six wins in a season, and quadruple the losing seasons than winning in the last several years? There would be a full house every night in Provo, and the only full house in SLC would be when Jimmer is in town playing the Jazz. Be realistic, he would never attend there. There is probably not a single LDS person on the roster...or what is left on the roster.

The BYU education is excellent. I'd rather go back there than my current grad program. This school doesn't even come close to providing the overall education and life experience that BYU did, and it's a D1 school.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 2, 2012 9:50 p.m.

@Striker -

Actually Utah will have at least 3 LDS players next year. In addition to that, they have a much more diverse team and student body which an African American from the midwest may appreciate.
    As for other reasons one might choose the U, how about playing time, belief in a new coaching staff and playing in the Pac 12 ... and spare me the WCC was better this year ... one year out of 100 doesn't mean diddly.
    But the bottom line is this, I never said I believed he'll end up at the U ... just as I don't believe he'll end up at the Y ... there's no need to pretend I said something I didn't.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    April 2, 2012 9:53 p.m.

@Cougarista - c'mon, you need to do better than 2 point guards from the WCC that were big time pros. Kentucky, NC, and Duke frequently send 2 players to the pros every year; not over 2 decades.
    The kid ultimately may go to BYU but it won't be because of the history the WCC has of developing pro players. If that is a concern he will go the the Big 10, Big East, or the ACC.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    April 2, 2012 10:05 p.m.

The chances of him going to utah are slim and none. Why would anyone want to play on a team that would be at the bottom of the WCC? crickets.

• Mick Murray, Utah
    April 2, 2012 10:25 p.m.

There is plenty of diversity at BYU with many students coming from many different states and countries. Many different languages spoken on campus. Many different cultures. I went to BYU and didn't have one friend or roomate from Utah. You can't say that at the U of U, the commuter school of the west.

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    April 2, 2012 11:02 p.m.

Sorry to burst your bubble, motorbike, but Utah isn't on Scouts' list

BYU may only have a slim chance of landing Jabari, but Utah's chances of landing Jabari are ZERO.

BYU
    Northwestern
    Ohio State
    Washington

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    April 2, 2012 11:20 p.m.

Otis,

I'm currently at BYU. I'm sure that some of the freshman and sophomore classes are crowded with no interaction with teachers, but I can almost guarantee the same will be true at any of the universities he is considering. However, as a senior he will have much, much smaller classes and lots of interaction with the teachers. What you describe as being problems are pretty universal problems with large universities.

To those saying he won't chose BYU or the WCC because they don't have a history of producing talent like the ACC and Big East, don't speak too soon. Being a good player means you are a good player, and playing at BYU (where talent isn't as deep as it is in the ACC) can bring that out more and make you shine more. Look at Jimmer!

I'm not saying he will pick BYU, and I'll be surprised if he does, but he may see good basketball reasons to choose BYU. Don't count it out just yet. He'll probably go Duke or UNC, in my opinion.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    April 3, 2012 2:05 p.m.

Like others, I'm getting tired of those who say there is not diversity at BYU. By "no diversity", what they are saying is that BYU doesn't have a significant black population.

But BYU IS a diverse school. I had friends and roommates from all over the world at BYU: England, Bolivia, Colombia, Chile, Australia, India, Africa, Germany, New Zealand, China, just to name a few. Not many Universities can make a claim to the level of diversity that BYU truly has. Instead, people just go there and look at skin color.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    April 3, 2012 2:23 p.m.

Seven years as a freshman will guarantee long lines and large classes.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    April 3, 2012 3:34 p.m.

@NevadaCoug -

In regard to your comment on diversity at BYU ... I will absolutely agree that BYU is more diverse than people give it credit for, including myself in my earlier comment. As you mentioned, there are people from all over the world that go to school at BYU and that certainly does makes it diverse.
    However, no one can argue that it is a very Caucasian campus. I'm not saying solely Caucasian, but VERY Caucasian. So is Utah by the way, but not as much so.
    My comment was "[Utah] has a much more diverse team and student body which an African American from the midwest may appreciate."
    I would tweak that comment to read: There are more African American players on the team at Utah and in the student body, while still having at least 3 other LDS players in 2013 and a large LDS student population. Both could both be appealing to an athlete who is both African American and Mormon.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    April 3, 2012 5:17 p.m.

If BB is all that matters in life - Kentucky and Calipari are the place. If life is what matters in BB - BYU is the place.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 3, 2012 7:39 p.m.

@Otis

That must explain your 7 yr plan for graduation.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    April 4, 2012 11:03 a.m.

Can you imagine 7 years at the Y and still being considered a "Freshman"? I heard it from a very good source that that 7 year period was spent on roaming the campus looking for his class.

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    April 4, 2012 7:22 p.m.

@Mick
    "Diversity at the U? What a joke. It is a commuter school full of utahns. What do you mean by diversity? Alcohol use?"

Nahhh, diversity at the UofU means wearing a goatee

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 5, 2012 12:31 p.m.

@motorbike

That "list" is nothing more than the list of schools that have offered Jabari a scholarship. Since he has not yet come out and said any of them are either under consideration or not under consideration they simply are all listed. UVU would be on that list if they had offered him a scholarship but obviously, and unlike utah, they have the good sense to know they have no chance at all of getting him so they decided not to propogate a sham to try and make it appear that they are a consideration.