Faith

LDS members prepare for conference, social media explosion

Comments

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    March 29, 2012 12:54 p.m.

"Through its website, the church is encouraging members to use Facebook, blogging, Google+, Twitter, and other social networks to promote the conference and invite others to listen to living prophets."

I thought there was just 1 living prophet the LDS prophet. Are there other's in the LDS church who are considered prophets as well?

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    March 29, 2012 2:04 p.m.

Surely you are aware that faithful Mormons sustain the First Presidency (President of the Church and his counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as Prophets, Seers and Revelators...

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    March 29, 2012 2:41 p.m.

Wouldn't we want to encourage people to listen to the actual speakers themselves, as opposed to waiting with baited breath for the re-interpretation from someone's tweet? Why would you go downstream for the truth as opposed to going to the spring?

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    March 29, 2012 3:06 p.m.

@LValfre

What gave you the idea that somebody who tweets is automatically a prophet?

@Macfarren

Nobody is on Twitter looking for a reinterpretation of the speaker's words...they're looking for other peoples' feelings and responses to what's being said. Give it a try sometime - assuming you're not too old to figure out how to use Twitter.

• Macfarren Dallas, TX
    March 29, 2012 4:06 p.m.

Not to be disrespectful, but why do I care what someone else is saying about Conference as opposed to what I hear and read myself? Isn't that the equivalent of reading an editorial of Conference, as opposed to reading it myself and coming to my own conclusions?

Just because someone has a blog, a twitter account, a facebook page, a website or an email address, does not make what they have to say either interesting or pertinent on any subject. Technology is great, I am using it right now, however we are making the mistake in today's world believing that all communications are created equal. Just like our comments here, we are now passing off opinion as newsworthy. When it comes to religion then, I didn't realize that public opinion and interpretation, at least when it comes to Latter-Day Saint doctrine, has any merit or meaning at all. What the leaders speak, they speak. As far as I can remember from history, God never seemed too interested in the public opinion polls on his word, only that it was heard and followed. Whether or not someone liked it and tweeted is really irrelevant. "Go Uchtdorf Go!!!!!!"

• donburi South Jordan, UT
    March 29, 2012 4:32 p.m.

“I’m an interesting demographic. I’m not a mommy blogger or an academic scholar/historian. I’m definitely in a unique category,” she said.

I think there are millions of people who fit that profile. Not sure what is so interesting or unique about it.

• Igualmente Mesa, AZ
    March 31, 2012 9:37 a.m.

There are millions who will not connect directly to conference messages as they are spoken over the pulpit, be they non-members, the disinterested, those without patience, and many others who will be 'too busy' or engaged in their recreation of choice today and tomorrow, so twitter etc may be their only contact with the messages given.