Faith

Vai's View: Frederick Pratt, a gracious Catholic relative of Parley P. Pratt, Mitt Romney

Comments

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    March 16, 2012 1:08 p.m.

Amazing, Vai! Thank you for introducing us to Frederick Pratt. He seems like a fascinating individual. And what a great experience for your daughter to talk to her peers about her beliefs. I really enjoyed this update!

• Heidi T. Farmington, Utah
    March 16, 2012 1:28 p.m.

Vai, I love your column and especially this one on the Pratts. What a gem of history and what a glorious experience for you and your daughter. Thanks for sharing!

• Anthracite Salt Lake City, UT
    March 16, 2012 1:35 p.m.

As a Latter-day Saint with Catholic roots, I appreciate the tone of this column, treating Mr. Pratt with respect and not making it seem like it's some tragedy that he and his family are not LDS. I enjoyed this story about a gracious man with strong faith. Well-done, Vai! And all the best to the Pratt family!

• Riles Midway, UT
    March 16, 2012 3:12 p.m.

Always enjoy your articles, Vai. Another gem.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    March 16, 2012 3:49 p.m.

Glad to know that there is still some wonderful people that have religious civility. This is the way it is supposed to be. Thanks Vai, Lana and Mr. Pratt. Who knows, this may be the start of good things to come.

• frankie boy Dove Canyon, CA
    March 16, 2012 4:08 p.m.

Vai-you ought to look into Troy Thomas, the very successful young LDS football coach at Servite HS in Orange County CA-a very traditional Catholic all-boys school....

• Greg Bennett Herriman, Utah
    March 16, 2012 4:40 p.m.

Vai! Frederick Pratt most likely is already aware of what Orson Pratt has documented with regards to this mortal probation (commenting on "The Pre-Existence" and "Celestial Marriage" in The Seer), but if not, this incredible collection of information might be "just the right treasure" for him. (The Seer by Orson Pratt, 1853-1854; Published by Eborn Books, 2009). This book includes some of the most interesting topics and details that I have ever read; relating to a better understanding of this life and necessary experiences. Orson was a special man; a gifted Apostle with a superb intellect.

• fowersjl Farmington, Utah
    March 16, 2012 6:45 p.m.

Great story! Many years ago I was asked by my sociology teacher at a high school in Mexico City to teach them about my LDS faith, and was afforded the opportunity to give a Book of Mormon to each student. Years after that I received a phone call from a woman who had been in that class who had subsequently joined the church, married, and had eight children. She has passed away now, but I have met some of her children and grandchildren, a great posterity of latter-day saints. She told me that what she heard that day in the class sparked a curiosity, and when the missionaries knocked on her door a few years later in Texas, she let them in and got the rest of the story. Wonderful that Lana could have that opportunity to share with her classmates...

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    March 16, 2012 6:55 p.m.

As always, Vai, you have shared another great story. You, your daughter and Fredrick Pratt, share a great trait, that of being wonderful examples.

• catram North Las Vegas, NV
    March 16, 2012 8:55 p.m.

And not a critical thing to say about BYU or Mendenhall this week. Refreshing!

• Collin Card Provo, Utah
    March 16, 2012 9:44 p.m.

You are a gifted story teller. I enjoyed this one immensely. I am confused though because I thought you said he took vows to become a Catholic priest but then later you said he has been married for 5 years. I'm sure I missed something. Can someone explain it? Thanks.

• Heater BALA CYNWYD, PA
    March 16, 2012 11:36 p.m.

Collin - men take vows for the Catholic priesthood all the time, but they can drop out at any time. It sounds like Mr. Pratt had misgivings, for whatever reason, but he's still committed enough to his faith to teach its theology at one of their flagship schools in Philly. Philadelphians will tell you Merion Mercy Academy is a very prestigious school and very competitive and difficult to get into, so Vai's daughter must be very bright. It's a gorgeous campus in a hoity-toity part of Philly called the "Main Line." Teachers like Mr. Pratt are more the norm at MMA than the exception. Adult women I know who are MMA grads are top notch and much of it has to do with teachers like Mr. Pratt.

• frankie boy Dove Canyon, CA
    March 17, 2012 7:47 a.m.

Collin-he could also serve as a lay Deacon, where he gives sermons and distributes the Eucharist but can also be married...just cannot say Mass or consecrate the Eucharist.

And if he was an Episcopal priest who converts to Catholicism he can still serve as a priest even if he is married...

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    March 17, 2012 10:19 a.m.

Wonderful article, Vai. Andy descendant of Parley and Orson is somewhat I enjoy learning about. Parley is one of my favorite early church leaders. IÂve read his autobiography (itÂs a page turner¦after reading this article, IÂm going to read it again!), and IÂve also done some independent study of his life. What an amazing guy! So, thanks for this article. And all the best to your wonderful daughter. Congratulations!

• goatesnotes Kamas, UT
    March 17, 2012 10:56 a.m.

I'm a big fan of Parley P. Pratt, and I loved this updated installment. My first thought when I finished was, are we not all brothers?

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    March 18, 2012 8:41 p.m.

Nice Article, I, too, am related Triple P! I am his great great great grandson!

• Capella Bakersfield, CA
    March 19, 2012 7:00 p.m.

Lovely article. Would have been nice for Vai to have supplied all known Pratt facts, however. Eleanor McLean never divorced her husband and ignored child visitation. Pretty amazing that many early polygamists didn't bother divorcing; many bigamist marriages also. Her husband was angry because his children were kidnapped.

Check out the church site with all of PPP's other official (10) wives, children and circumstances. Eleanor is not listed, because they weren't legally married. I believe they had a private sealing.