Faith

Recalling the Mormon who tried to save Anne Frank

Comments

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 11:49 a.m.

this is really interesting. Walker needs to expand this article and give way more information.

• Dirty Hippee Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 11:51 a.m.

Headline is mis-leading

• lsteinbentley South Jordan, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 11:56 a.m.

Great article. Thank you for sharing it, and telling the younger generation things they weren't around for. I have never heard that story before.

• Jeanie b. Orem, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 12:09 p.m.

Thank you for reporting this.

We LDS people try our best to do what is right. Like many other people sometimes we go too far. It's nice to see appropriate good acts reported as well as the overly zealous ones.

• Pete1215 Lafayette, IN
    Feb. 27, 2012 1:26 p.m.

That a good man tried to save the life of 20,000 Jewish kids is quite a story. Thank you to Deseret News for sharing this.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 1:28 p.m.

This article points out an interesting aside about the tendency of the world to use the Jews as a political tool, but seldom do they really render any substantial help--even with their well-meaning faith. It reminds me of a Book of Mormon quote, 2 Nephi 29:5-6

4 But thus saith the Lord God: O fools, they shall have a Bible; and it shall proceed forth from the Jews, mine ancient covenant people. And what thank they the Jews for the Bible which they receive from them? Yea, what do the Gentiles mean? Do they remember the travails, and the labors, and the pains of the Jews, and their diligence unto me, in bringing forth salvation unto the Gentiles?

5 O ye Gentiles, have ye remembered the Jews, mine ancient covenant people? Nay; but ye have cursed them, and have hated them, and have not sought to recover them. But behold, I will return all these things upon your own heads; for I the Lord have not forgotten my people.

6 Thou fool, that shall say: A Bible, we have got a Bible, and we need no more Bible. Have ye obtained a Bible save it were by the Jews?

• MESOUTE SLC, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 2:46 p.m.

2 Democratic Senators from the State of Utah? Those must have been better days.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Feb. 27, 2012 3:21 p.m.

Very misleading title but I'm used to that here on Des news. So indirectly a mormon tried helping Anne Frank but to have the titles say "Recalling the morning who tried to save Anne Frank" as if he was there and personally knew who she was ... that's just plain lying.

Other than that I think this is very good and interesting article and a far cry from the old "all other churches are an abomination" thinking. Nice to see that the discrimination was already on a downhill slope in the 40's.

• Economist Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 3:35 p.m.

what on Earth...what does this have to do with the current kerfuffle regarding the unauthorized baptistism of Anne Frank approximately 9 times after an agreement was struck with the Jewish Community not to do so...

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 3:44 p.m.

There is a great principle in this article and sadly I think most people will look past that. It isn't that a couple men tried to push good principles on society. It is that while much of the world stands by and watches things happen, much of the world attacks a faith for practicing a ceremony causing no harm to anyone (even quite the opposite), and so on... that the reality is that good motivations and people will the intent to help others can do a lot for us and have and will- ultimately that the rest of everyone else complaining is just getting in the way.

---

And the headline wasn't misleading, it wasn't enough to make a full judgement. It was enough to get you to read the article. If you read the article and found a lie, then address it. Otherwise, take the message, grow up, and move on.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Feb. 27, 2012 4:17 p.m.

Voice of reason, once again, your comments put things in a calm, reasonable prospective.
    I'm always interested in reading what people think and feel about a large variety of subjects.
    It just sickens me to see so many unwarranted and uneccesary attacks on people and religions.

Thank you for always bringing a respectful, intelligent opinion to these forums.

• LValfre CHICAGO, IL
    Feb. 27, 2012 4:21 p.m.

"A Voice of Reason - And the headline wasn't misleading"

To whom? You didn't open it expecting to hear about a 1940's Mormon who personally was trying to save Anne Frank by name?

You, my friend, have excellent insight in Des News articles!

• coltakashi Richland, WA
    Feb. 27, 2012 5:06 p.m.

Elbert Thomas had served as a Mormon missionary in Japan in the 1920s, and he prevailed on the Roosevelt War Department to not drop firebomobs on the ancient Japanese capital of Kyoto, which had no significant war industries and whose destructious would only stiffen the resolve of Japan to not surrender.

One of the reasons this ties into the story of Senator Thomas successfully pressuring FDR to admit Jewish refugees into the US is through another man, named Chiune Sugihara, who was Japanese consul in Kaunas, Lithuania, at the beginning of World War II. Sugihara worked feverishly to give a couple thousand transit visas to Jewish refugees so they could travel through the USSR to Japan. His own government did not appreciate his action, and he was unable to return to Japan for years after World War II, being held by Soviet forces. While many of the Jewish families were able to make it to other parts of Asia, many rode out the rest of the war in Kyoto.

So when Senator Thomas saved Kyoto from firebombing, he was unknowingly also protecting hundreds of Jewish refugees who were saved, ironically, by Germany's Axis ally, Japan.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 5:16 p.m.

RE: A voice of Reason: the reality is that good motivations and people will the intent to help others can do a lot for us and have and will- ultimately that the rest of everyone else complaining is just getting in the way.
    Cornelia "Corrie" ten Boom was a Dutch Christian, who with her father and other family members helped many Jews escape the Nazi Holocaust during World War II. Her family was arrested due to an informant in 1944, When a clerical error allowed her to be released from a Nazi concentration camp one week before all women prisoners her age were executed.
    Corrie continued to live with a remarkable reliance on God, just as her family had as they hid Jews from Nazi terror. Generations of ten Booms held Christian prayer meetings for Israel for 100 years prior to World War II.

Pastor Dietrict Bonhoeffer raised the first and virtually only voice for church resistance to Hitler's persecution of Jews, declaring that the(Christian) church must not simply ,bandage the victims under the wheel, but jam the spoke in the wheel itself.
    he said a short prayer and then climbed the few steps to the gallows, brave and composed. His death ensued after a few seconds. In the almost fifty years that I worked as a[ a German] doctor, I have hardly ever seen a man die so entirely submissive to the will of God. Two of many.

• sanpaco Sandy, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 5:56 p.m.

So... "The Mormon who tried to save Anne Frank" didn't ever have anything to do with Anne Frank? The article is perfectly fine without misleading the readers to think that this guy had anything to do with Anne Frank. You could even have said "Recalling the Mormon who tried to save holocaust victims like Anne Frank". That allows you to bring in the little snippet about recent stories related to Anne Frank without misleading the reader into thinking that this story is about Anne Frank.

I get frustrated by this type of thing because it seems many times like journalists think they need to trick me into reading a story about someone not as well known by pretending they had some kind of connection to a famous person that I might be interested in. Its insulting to my intelligence and I don't like it.

That said, many other do not feel the same way. That's fine for you, but don't try and minimize the way other people feel just because you don't feel the same way.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 6:22 p.m.

AZRods,

I have my share of poorly worded or heated comments on here, but thanks. We all know that being respectful is the right thing to do. Sometimes it can be hard. But the more I learn, the more willing I personally am to look at articles like this with praise rather than having any sort of disagreement. I just read in 3 Nephi 11 where Christ gives Nephi the authority and power to baptize and immediately explains that it is wisdom that people should be baptized and have no disputations. After reading that, I certainly comment on here with a very different attitude than I would have otherwise. "Disputation avoidance" and 'looking for agreement rather than disagreement' should be a caption at the top of every comment section. Anyway, thanks again.

LValfre,

I simply read it differently. I've had my share of 'headline issues' where I believed they were poorly worded. I've even successfully had one changed as of now. (at least it was after I addressed it and on the point I raised concern with)

How I read it- 'Mormon tried to save Anne Frank'. This at first seemed very specific and direct. On that, I would agree with you. I then was curious what it was referred to and read of someone trying to save Jewish children in general. This, while an indirect attempt to help others- is inclusive of Anne Frank. For that reason, I understood the headline more clearly, as we all did. While using Anne Frank as a specific example is a logical appeal to people's emotional connection to her story- it is no less appropriate than the emotional appeals people use to make claims against a religious people for practicing something that, as stated before, causes no harm to anyone (again, and is only trying to help others). I'm not saying you don't have valid reasons. I'm only saying that to me, it isn't a lie. I believe we all know this and understand the point. There are headlines that have major implications with their wording, and as this isn't one of them- the indirect use of Anne Frank's story only serves to illustrate a point we can all benefit from. While nearly every headline could be reworded to please someone, I believe the author used this one fairly.

• Bubble SLC, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 6:41 p.m.

The title of this article firmly places DesNews in the supermarket rag category with the likes of the National Enquirer. The title serves no purpose other than getting people riled up.

If you cannot make your point without conjecture and hyperbole, you are not a credible news source.

Either that, or you have no faith in your readership.

• Gregg Weber SEATTLE, WA
    Feb. 27, 2012 6:49 p.m.

• Sorry Charlie! SLC, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 6:49 p.m.

@ A voice of Reason: Since the point of the article is that a Mormon made an effort to save Jewish Refugee children "like the Frank family" a more honest title would have been "Recalling the Mormon who tried to save Jewish children".

Since Anne Frank was never in a refugee camp, passage of the proposed bill would have done nothing to save her - although it may have saved others.

And you are correct - doing the right thing and helping others is a good value. Dishonoring your belief system in order to do so, not such a good thing.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 8:38 p.m.

Sorry Charlie!,

"Since Anne Frank was never in a refugee camp"

That's a pretty good point. I still think using such a recognized example is appropriate when it's for this well-intended use, and in appealing to how strongly people feel about this issue. Only because without such an emotional tie, a lot of people may ignore it. Many people are upset about the actions of the few here. Showing an example of great work which was directed to victims of a similar nature to Anne Frank, is simply a method of convincing more people to come to a true principle- looking at help, in order to forgive, in order to find mutual peace and move forward. If the test of time has others looking back at this article, I would rather people focus on that principle than disputes over the wording of a headline, as despite the accusations around that headline- it certainly can serve a valid purpose in spreading a good message.

The Book of Mormon may reveal flaws in its authors, but the lessons learned from them can still be true independent of that fact. It's doctrines have always proven true according to my experiences. A missionary may make a mistake, say something wrong, and leave the church- but the book and its message remain unaffected by such things.

I don't know if you meant me, but I don't excuse what mistakes some have made. I do feel that because it is now addressed adequately, dwelling on faults and mistakes is negative and destroys others rather than builds them up in progress. My belief in justice excuses nothing. My knowledge that we are all imperfect means not judging others while I am not perfect myself. My belief in mercy means that if I can be forgiven, so can they. All those together mean, help others, forgive others, move forward. This article promotes that, while those questioning the motivations behind the headline are missing this point.

We can only listen or talk. All I'm really saying is this says something good and we can all benefit from listening to it.

• Sorry Charlie! SLC, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 9:04 p.m.

@ A voice of Reason: So, it is okay to use emotional statements with no connection to reality as long as your intentions are good?

What's that old saying? Something about a certain road being paved with good intentions?

I have to agree with Bubble on this - this is the action of a gossip rag or a paper with no faith in those that read it. (I will admit that a certain amount of my angst about this particular headline comes from an overall frustration with this paper for doing this on numerous other stories. I expect better from a mainstream paper.)

I do have to say - your comments on most of the stories regarding proxy baptisms have been good comments - but many other posters who claim to be LDS seem to be attacking the position of the LDS Church by arguing that people should not be upset or offended that certain people have been baptized by proxy. I don't think it should be that hard to members of the LDS Church to stand up for their Church's official position.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    Feb. 27, 2012 9:33 p.m.

Sorry Charlie: You made a point that "It would be nice if, instead of excusing the actions of those who broke their covenants with your Church, more members of your Church would honor their covenants and support your Church leadership."

The author didn't excuse those that made a mistake, error, or failed to follow their covenants. He is basically citing that a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the dark days of WWII tried to do something that others failed to do. Did you know that for every member who fails to follow the direction and support of the leadership, there are 100s to 1000s that do.

In my opinion I believe someone is purposely trying to create a problem. Generally a faithful member of the LDS Church will not go out of their way to cause controversy. They do only their own family names and no one elses. Even when a loved one, brother, sister, father, mother, aunt, uncle and etc. who may have never been able to go to the temple for whatever reason will do their work when they can. They don't go out and do a celebrities name or holocast members because it has no impact on THEIR family.

Again you only hear about it when it goes wrong, not when it is done in the right way.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 10:03 p.m.

If this happened today right wing extremist's would have ran both Senators out of office for trying to help people come illegally. After all we can't help solve the worlds problems, we have our own to worry about. Maybe I am being to sarcastic. Whatever happened to compassion and empathy for others. Today we label anybody who tries to help others as as a socialist. This was a good story, even if the title was misleading. I would like to know more about of the two U.S. Senators involved. We need more like them to serve in these troubled times.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 11:31 p.m.

@Gregg Weber

You said - "Are these unauthorized baptisms mistakes or are there people who want to embarrass the church?"

I have a sneaking suspicion it's the later.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Feb. 27, 2012 11:39 p.m.

@Sorry Charlie!

You said - "...but many other posters who claim to be LDS seem to be attacking the position of the LDS Church by arguing that people should not be upset or offended that certain people have been baptized by proxy. I don't think it should be that hard to members of the LDS Church to stand up for their Church's official position."

I agree 100%. I stand total behind the position of LDS leaders on this issue. It would be wrong of me to tell someone else, "Don't be so offended," since I fail to understand why they feel this way in the first place.

If someone were to ask me, "How would you feel if your name or your ancestors' names were done in proxy in some other church's ceremony?" I would say I take no offense at all. If you want to, go ahead.

But my feelings on the matter are clearly different than someone whose family members were hunted down and killed in cold blood by the Nazis.

Some of my fellow Latter-day Saints do need to be a little more understanding to those who either lost family in the Holocaust or are Holocaust survivors themselves. Their view of the world is clearly different from our own.

• Goldilocks Torrance, CA
    Feb. 28, 2012 8:25 a.m.

Has anyone bothered to check the source? Those who are critical of the wording that Deseret News has used probably did not click on the JTA link in the second paragraph. We could all learn a lesson from the old children's game "Telephone".

• Capella Bakersfield, CA
    Feb. 28, 2012 10:31 a.m.

I found this article very interesting, inspirational, important, somewhat informative, but highly incomplete. How is it possible that some DN articles go for pages, and others are cropped at the knees?

I would ask:

1- What is J. Walker's educational resumé? Where did he learn his journalistic protocols?
    2- What is the JTA that he refers to? I don't feel like Googling his article.
    3- The title is misleading on all points. It could have read: "Recalling the Mormon who tried to save victims in Anne Frank's time", or any number of variations. This Mormon did not try to save Anne Frank.

4- To Sorry Charlie: Anne and her family were most definitely sent tonsnd died in a "refugee camp". History calls them concentration camps. Her diary covers her time in hiding from when she received it on her 13th birthday- June 12, 1942, until the time of her family's betrayal, August 1, 1944. They were sent to Bergen-Belsen and she died of typhus 7 months later in that hell hole. On one levrl you are correct. It was no refugee camp. It was a fully operational Nazi-run death camp.

Kudos on the article. Please expand. Many of us see exactly the point that the Jewish author was making:
    At a time when most American politicians were ignoring Hitler's expansion, two Mormon politicians used their leadership to try and save Jewish victims.

Fix the title, stick with honesty in reporting, and these facts will impress those in my Jewish circles.

• A voice of Reason Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2012 12:50 p.m.

Bill in Nebraska,

"you only hear about it when it goes wrong, not when it is done in the right way."

It's absolutely true. I'd compare it to how we are often eager for help when we need it, but slow to remember it when it's given. It's a pretty reckless practice that I think is easy to follow. It would be so much better for us to focus on the good news of the world, to turn the bad news into good news, and so on. I guess one of the chief obstacles on that path are those shouting, laughing, or complaining to those trying to push forward on that path. Maybe that analogy is a bit to religious for everyone here, but I think it's pretty self evident.

This article is promoting a good message, reflection, certainly the truth, and in a time when we can all use it to hopefully calm down and work together. I easily rank the meaning behind this article among the highest I've read lately.

• donn layton, UT
    Feb. 28, 2012 1:52 p.m.

@Bill in Nebraska: As someone once said the only time you hear something bad is when something goes right, but when everything goes right, no one hears a thing.

The Sunstone, v. 5, no. 6, pp. 20-29.Alan F. Keele and Douglas F. Tobler, The FuhrerÂs New Clothes:
    Helmuth Huebner and the Mormons in the Third Reich"... [S]ympathy [for some of the Nazi goals] was apparently shared by some members of the [Mormon] Church leadership. The Church's German magazine, Der Stern, reminded its readers in 1935 that Senator Reed Smoot had long been a friend of Germany, and this attitude seemed to receive official sanction during President Grant's 1937 visit. The message to the German Saints was clear: German Mormons were encouraged to bear arms for their country and to pray for her victory. The [Mormon] church said they were fighting, not British and American Mormon brethren, but government representatives. 'Such a distinction, although transparent, served to salve the moral and religious doubts of German Mormons.
    When several Mormons dared to defy Hitler, they received no backing from Mormon officials. 'The church was patriotic and loyal and decried any attack on the Nazi government.' The church even excommunicated one dissident posthumously after the Nazis had executed him."

• Capella Bakersfield, CA
    Feb. 28, 2012 2:39 p.m.

I stand corrected. Thank you, Goldilocks, for doing ours and Walker's homework. I clicked on the JTA link (and signed up) to read Rafael Medoff's full article. Two wrongs don't make the misleading title right, but it was the exact replicated title of Medoff's original...

Not that Brother Walker could have cited that and helped us all. (Sorry for bagging on you, Joseph. A former PR guy could have anticipated this fallout, maybe?)

Additionally, Medoff should be awarded an honorary LDS membership or atleast a public relations position. He makes the case, documented to the teeth, that whereas Mormon proxy baptisms deal with the spiritual soul, (i.e., an unqualified entity for earthlings as yet), in the here-and-now two of their politicians fought long and hard to save the lives of Jewish victims.

'Nuff said. (And I apologize for previous type-O's).

• Sorry Charlie! SLC, UT
    Feb. 28, 2012 4:13 p.m.

@ Capella: In no sense are concentration camps and refugee camps the same thing.

While the living conditions in many refugee camps leave much to be desired, refugee camps are where those who are persecuted flee to - usually in a country other than the country of the refugee's birth and often the refugee cannot return home. Refugees live in camps until they are able to immigrate to countries such as the United States where they can move forward with their lives in relative safety.

Jews and others who were sent to concentration camps were sent there by force. They were there until they were killed or, for the lucky few, until they were freed at the end of the war.

Do you really believe Hitler and his followers would have allowed those in concentration camps to leave just because another country said they would take them?

Your comment shows a great lack of understanding of concentration camps and refugee camps.

• Capella Bakersfield, CA
    Feb. 28, 2012 6:34 p.m.

Whoa, Joey! Don't bite my head off. I thought you were the one who didn't understand the difference between refugee and concentration camps, Sorry Charlie, hence my lite education on Anne's demise. I apologize.

Let's remain civil. Now I see your point based on your explanation. I over-reacted (and so did my husband), as I thought you were implying that Anne died under Nazi transfer.

Re: the article and Walker's intentions for publishing it- After reading Medoff's research, he has been the a light in the tempest here to highlight the courageous efforts of a politician(s) in the face of dark anti-semitism. Like defending an ethical Muslim family following 9/11, when many were/are still very anti-Muslim anything. I know where-of I speak. (Note my residence...)

• michaelm Waukesha, WI
    Feb. 28, 2012 8:44 p.m.

Not that I am making excuses but like political new some of us are junkies and read or watch everything and know on the spot when someone makes a mis-step. But when reporters get out among the people it is clear most have no idea about the political stuff that reporters go on and on about every day. For example it was interesting after the Cain upheaval that a man on the street reporter found that for every ten people he asked only two knew who Cain was.

My point?

That it may have been purely good natured people who mistakenly came across Ann Frank's name and thought they would do her Temple work including proxy baptisms. Sure its possible it some were done in mischief or with ill intent, or some by people knowing but ignoring Church leadership.

But I would not be surprised if many people who have done work for Jewish ancestors had no idea the Church leadership was against it. Not every Mormon reads every thought, letter, or edict that comes out of SLC. It may surprise many members but more so non LDS people that we don't all hang on every word coming out of Church offices and many just plain do not know better.

Im my Ward recently an instructor asked the adults if they knew not to do Temple work for Holocaust Victims, About half the adults in the room did not know it at all, and of those who did know most of them thought it was against the instructions of Church leaders to do any work for any Jewish person (that would be wrong). Remember people are told not to do work for Holocaust victims unless they are true relatives. So most of the room got it wrong on some level or another.

So my point is, like non news junkies many active members who may be good people make mistakes and have no clue as to current teachings of our leaders. I wonder if anyone would claim most Catholics are up to date with the Pope? Most don't even go to their church at all. How about Lutherans? Can any of them even name the leadership let alone know of their current positions? How about jews? I doubt most Jews in America can even tell you where the nearest temple or synagog is since the vast majority of Jewish people here are non practicing. So my point is relax, realize that just because you hang on every nuance and every whit coming out of the Church offices does not mean most of the LDS members do, and unfortunately they are destined to make errors like this in the future too.

• beatrice Beaverton, OR
    Feb. 28, 2012 10:13 p.m.

ClarkHippo
    Tooele, UT
    @Gregg Weber

I have a sneaking suspicion it's the later.

Clark: I love your oxymoron here...IF it is an unauthorized proxy baptism then it
    IS a mistake !! LOL

• Larry Lawton Wan Chai, Hong Kong
    Feb. 29, 2012 2:32 a.m.

Concerning those who do unauthorized baptisms of holocast victims: I believe the church has said it's difficult to get those names past computer filters. Thus, one would certainly know they are violating church policy by the time they wend their way around the safeguards. I am not inclined to say their purpose was to embarass the church. Lots of well-meaning people out there want to do what they think is right, and some of us are just downright stubborn.

• windsor City, Ut
    Feb. 29, 2012 6:51 a.m.

Gregg Weber--"Are these unauthorized baptisms mistakes or are there people who want to embarrass the church?"

I have wondered this myself these past couple of weeks.

In another DesNews story, it was reported that the Huffington Post was, just a couple of days after the fact, reporting that a baptism had been performed for Anne Frank in the temple in the Dominican Republic.

How would the Huffington Post be privy to such information--unless someone with a lds church account (to access the genealogical systems necessary for reviewing and submitting names for temple work) was feeding them the information??

If there are those with lds church accounts who are willing to give (or to sell) information to the likes of the Huffington Post, there are surely the same or others willing and able to submit Jewish names--knowingly--against lds church policy.

For the very reason suggested by Gregg Weber's comment.

And they will not be the kind worried about possible 'church discipline'.
    But just annoyed that they will lose their access to the system which has afforded them an avenue to pervert its real purposes.

(and possibly some payoff $$ ??)

• I-M-H-O Provo, UT
    Feb. 29, 2012 9:38 a.m.

To all those discussing the article, I would suggest taking a moment to read the original. There is a link at the beginning of the article to JTA where you can read the original article written by Rafael Medoff. It is more detailed, and explains certain statements with better clarity.

• govtrumbull Sparks, NV
    Feb. 29, 2012 10:08 a.m.

Of all the people that deserve the blessings of God's Kingdom, the victims of Hitler and the Japanese as well, should be given the opportunity to accept the Gospel. In fact the victims of all tyrants are especially deserving of being giving the opportunity to hear Christ's message of repentance, salvation and the Atonement.

It is hard to understand why a group of people would be so angry over the issue of Temple work for the dead. If it is a true doctrine, and the person having the work done for them accepts the message, they will become the happiest of God's children. If Temple work for the dead is false, there is no change in anyone's status anyway, so it doesn't make any difference. The charge that this LDS policy makes President Monson one of the worst people in history, or that such ordinance is killing people killed in the Holocaust twice is an extreme view and is over the top as far as common sense is concerned. The simple fact is that a victim dies one time, and that status cannot be changed.

And Jews need to understand that German Latter-day Saints performed many acts of courage to try to stop Hitler during WWII. Among the most notable was Helmut Hubener, who lost his life to the guillotine for trying to expose Hitler's war crimes to the German people. We supported the Jews then, and we support the Jews today. Mormon ties to the Jewish people is strong and unwavering, even if that support isn't recognized by the Jewish people themselves. Be grateful for that support.

• beatrice Beaverton, OR
    Feb. 29, 2012 10:28 a.m.

Voice of Reason-Utah: "This article was about reflecting back on helping hands instead of judging the far fewer numbers within the church who make mistakes. You either are working to help or you are not. Rather than people get offended, dispute fine points, or otherwise- we should simply learn this simple lesson. Helping others is the right thing to do. Trying to change that picture to look different doesn't change this reality and doesn't bring happiness to anyone."

A false headline is certainly more than a "fine point". It is a lie.
    IF in "bringing attention to those Mormons who from the goodness of their hearts
    tried to help in this situation or any other...reprints have false headlines,
    it taints the message within.

If the LDS comments on here also attacked the headline, we would be more impressed
    than their trying to make "excuses".

Quite frankly, it does appear that the Mormon writer from DN, felt that it was an
    opportunity to offer some PR for Mormonism...not knowing that there were hundreds
    of people of other faiths who ALSO made attempts to "do something".
    Praise be to the Creator God for all of them.

• I-M-H-O Provo, UT
    Feb. 29, 2012 10:34 a.m.

Beatrice, I respect your opinion and agree that the headline is somewhat misleading.. however, did you see the original article? Deseret News simply used the same type of wording as the original. I suppose they could/should have modified it, but they certainly did not create this headline.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Feb. 29, 2012 1:43 p.m.

I think the point is: Is that after all has been said and done, a lot more has been said than done. There are a handful who actually jump in and do what they can - rarely get any recognition for their efforts (not that they sought it in the first place) and by and by, they make a difference.

The rest of us sit around and complain about the weather and how the weatherman said a 70% chance of rain when it should have been a 65% chance of rain -- what difference does it make in the end? Very little comes from just complaining. Perhaps errors are pointed out, but that does little to comfort the weary, or feed the hungry. In fact, more so than anything, it is the kind words and simple praises that re-energize the well intended and encourage them once more to their anonymous good works.

• gratefulmouse san angelo, tx
    Feb. 29, 2012 9:59 p.m.

this is wonderful....I never knew this...thank you for letting us know about Anne Frank...I saw the movie when I was a child and it affected me so much...I think I read the book..Im so sad that it has come down to the jews worrying over work for the dead...becuz at the same time I wish they knew that the people who have passed on can accept what is done here or not accept it as we all have freedom to chose here on the earth as welll as in the spirit world. I know my parents are catholic and dont like the idea as well. I am praying though that some will come around...we only want to help and not offend as seen here with the senators in utah trying to help refugees and the children during those times as the united states held off in helping until it was way too late....God bless and thank you...for this article...