Utah State opponent preview: Inexperience, schedule could hamper Tennessee

Comments

• Sagacious Logan, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 12:31 p.m.

I've spent some time living in Tennessee. They do take their football very seriously there. There's little doubt that the Vols are on their way back, but they haven't gotten there yet.

I'm confident their mind-frame will be to overlook USU and look upon that first game as merely a warm-up and confidence-building game for the rest of the season.

With that in mind, and knowing the direction the Aggies have been going in their play the past few years, I'm confident they have a good chance of catching Tennessee by surprise and getting an upset win.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 12:32 p.m.

On paper, this is the easiest of the last few BCS opponents the Ags have faced on the road. Still will be hard to win, though.

With that being said, I feel we are more stable (in some cases by far) at almost every position on the team compared to the Vols. Considering the Vols also have to rebuild both interior lines from the ground up, I feel this is the kind of game our defense could have a field day with. I'm very concerned about their wideouts and how they match up against our secondary, though.

I bet the game comes down to our secondary versus their wideouts and who makes fewer special teams mistakes. That's been the common problem in our losses, but I think it has finally been shored up for this game.

Get it done, Ags! Beat the Vols!

• CA. reader Rocklin, CA
    Aug. 12, 2014 12:49 p.m.

As a BYU fan, it would please me to no end to see the Aggies finally break through and beat one of these supposed top teams. Auburn and Wisconsin got lucky so I hope it is the Aggies' turn.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 12, 2014 1:23 p.m.

I look forward to the Tenn game. The SEC channel will be on COMCAST. That rocks!

Good Luck to USU!

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 2:00 p.m.

Of course Tennessee is looking ahead of USU. All they have to do is focus on Keeton and they have the game won.

CA. reader

Auburn and Wisc got lucky? I suppose USC did to huh? No they didn't. Those teams were/are better than USU. As is Tennessee.

• 08Stanley Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 2:14 p.m.

The aggies will win this game at long last and my birds will loose every important game on our schedul.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 2:48 p.m.

Stanley,

What important games do you guys have on your schedule besides Tennessee?

Fresno state and Wyoming? LOL. You must be so proud

• 08Stanley Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 2:57 p.m.

If the aggies win this game, I'll shake my fist in disdane. That will show them.

@ Chris B

I'm talking about my thunderbirds! Were way better then the aggies even though we lost by 31 point's.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 3:17 p.m.

Can't wait for this season to start. Chuckie is back and looking sharp. Tennessee will more than have their hands full. Go Aggies!!!

• AgVikBronc Preston, ID
    Aug. 12, 2014 3:31 p.m.

@ Stang,

yes lucky actually, anytime you need an onside kick at the end of the game to win it is luck. Any time you need a team to miss a 38 yard field goal in order for you to win, it is luck. You obviously don't watch the USU games, you just like to troll the DN Aggie articles in since no newspaper will regularly cover your T-birds.

@ Chris B,
    no, no crowning achievements as of yet. USU is still on the up and up as a program and has yet to win a big game. (a win against a pac 10.2 bottom feeder can hardly be classified as a big win) There will be bigger achievements yet to come in the next five years, which unfortunately cannot be said for the Utes. Their biggest achievement will be hiring a new coach during the offseason.

• Feliz Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 12, 2014 3:31 p.m.

Aggie fans should wear Chris B's ridicule as a badge of honor. For example, USC fans do not ridicule Nevada or Hawaii fans because they are not on the same level. It would be equivalent to beating up your little sister. However, you will hear USC fans belittling UCLA or Oregon fans because they are on par with USC. If Chris B were to start ridiculing other PAC 12 programs and stop ridiculing BYU and USU fans then we should all worry.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    Aug. 12, 2014 7:55 p.m.

Chris B, what pleasure do you get from posting on Aggies articles…not enough to keep you occupied on the Utes forum? Utah should be very careful, they could very well have an embarrassing loss to Fresno State and my Sun Devils will crush the Utes…mark it down.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 13, 2014 7:14 a.m.

@ tinplater

• Manfred Man Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 8:04 a.m.

@Spokane Ute

Last year's game was close, but Utah still hasn't beaten Arizona State since 1976. Until Utah actually wins a game against the Sun Devils, I call it a loss for the Utes, especially since it's in Tempe.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 13, 2014 8:33 a.m.

ASU won by the narrowest of margins last year. Did Utah lose? Of couse. Did they get "crushed"? Hardley. As far as this year? We shall see. You will have to excuse me for being optimistic; as opposed to pessimstic. As a fan of Utah, but not a USU hater, that's how I roll Guy!

• don17 Temecula, CA
    Aug. 13, 2014 10:19 a.m.

Any team that beats Utah State this year will EARN that win! The Tennessee game is no give me for them! If Utah State does earn the win it won't be an upset! Utah State could be looking at 10-2 or 11-1 season and possibly better!

FELIZ: good comment on Chris B.

Utah according to Chris wanted into the supposed Big Time and so far it has been a failure. It is put up or shut up time. But, I can say this with relative confidence(after seeing the two LA based teams practice). Utah will have trouble making a bowl game again. Utah wanted the Pack 12 slot and they got it, but don't expect USC,UCLA,Stanford and Oregon to cooperate at all while pasting Utah!

And, Utah better not overlook anyone else on their schedule because a 4 - 8 season or worse is very possible!

Utah hasn't made the big time until proven coaches want to come there instead of leaving for places in the SEC or Big 10+1.

A Utah fan is like a Chicago Cub fan. An Eternal optimist!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 13, 2014 10:31 a.m.

• CougOrUte..Naah Nibley, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 10:32 a.m.

I just read the article about how poorly the Ute quarterbacks did in their scrimmage yesterday. Surprisingly not one comment by Chris B. He just trolls the BYU and USU articles trying to cause some acrimony. Doesn't comment on the Ute articles especially when the Ute articles are honest and to the point. Like the Utes are in for a long season if quarterback play does not improve. The Ags are going to surprise Tennessee. If Tennessee is young at the positions as the article says, they will be in for a surprise. Tennessee probably does have more talent, but the Aggies experience will go a long, long way.

• don17 Temecula, CA
    Aug. 13, 2014 10:50 a.m.

To: Spokane Ute: Winning the World Series is equal to winning a National Championship! Utah won two major bowl games(that's great), that is like making the playoff's that's it. No National Championships! I'd like to see all three Utah based teams do well, but it is not in the cards for Utah this year! "Wait until next year", the motto of a Cub fan!

In 16 weeks Coach Wittingham will be trolling want ads in Division 2.

Chris B talks up the Utes like they are the Yankees, Celtics, Sooners or Notre Dame! They are not close.

Major programs play in 60,000 seat plus stadiums. Major programs like Oklahoma support other sports on campus and still put 4 million dollars or more into the coffers of the academic programs! Major programs have their own TV deal or are feared on an opposing teams schedule! Is Utah more feared on USC or UCLA's schedule or is Oregon or the rival?

Major programs get a premimum when tickets go on sale! Not get discounted like Ute tickets do!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 13, 2014 11:34 a.m.

@ don17

I'm quite content with Utah's program. Never said they were comporable to USC, Texas, etc. I have no control over Chis B's comments, nor Duck Hunters, etc. I'm quite content playing and being a PAC 12 memeber. The same conference where WSU (35,000 seat) and OSU (45,000) play. Going 13-0 and winning the Sugar Bowl is like making the playoffs? Yeah, right. "I'd like to see all three Utah teams do well". Hmmm, critical comments about Utah say otherwise. You talk out of both sides of your mouth. We will re-visit Whittinghams status at seasons end. You can hope for Utah's demise; mean while, I remain optimistic. I'm also pulling for Utah State, as I've said from the begining. Whether Utah is a "Major" program is subjective and debatable. Whether they are a P5 conference and PAC 12 team is not!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 13, 2014 11:37 a.m.

Don

Please let me know which PAC 12, BIG 10 or SEC team has "it's own TV deal"? Do tell.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 1:37 p.m.

08Stnaley

Lose not loose which we won't. Schedule not schedul. Also why did your aggies only score 31 points? Stop this charade please. Also we're not were.

AgVicBronc

Skill not luck. All those teams had more skill. Wrong I'm not a troll and there are plenty of SUU articles.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    Aug. 13, 2014 2:51 p.m.

@Spokane Ute:

"Don't let one fan skew your view of Utah fans. The Sun Devils will crush Utah? Like they did last year?"

Probably. At Tempe, ASU improved with a top tier QB, homecoming and I don't believe Utah has managed to beat the devils for decades? OK...maybe not crush, but I would be very surprised if the Utes managed a win.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 13, 2014 3:27 p.m.

@tinplater

Fair Enough; we shall see!

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    Aug. 13, 2014 3:36 p.m.

@Spokane Ute:

"I believe 2004 and 2008 give Utah fans every reason to be optimistic. Have the Cubs won the World Series in the last 10 years? Isn't every fan base optimistic? Name one that isn't.....sheesh!"

Actually if you lose long enough, you become very pessimistic. Here are some fan bases that have been terribly pessimistic: Arizona Cardinals, Colorado State and Kansas State during their decades long losing streaks, Boston Red Sox fans during the curse of the Babe, and perhaps the most famous of all, the New Orleans Saints during the period of the "Aints" with paper bags on their heads. If Utah doesn't start winning, develops a tradition of losing, the Ute fans will lost their optimism too.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 13, 2014 5:09 p.m.

Actually Kansas State and the Red Sox have had success as of late. Colorado State won their bowl game this year. The Arizona Cardinals knocked off the Seahawks this year and have played in a super bowl. Nice try though. You can rain on the Utah parade as much as you like, that certainly seems to be your M.O. I, however, remain optimistic and will continue to support the Utes. Look no further than Utah basketball. That's a program that's certianly on the rise. I doubt the "Ute fans will lost their optimism too"; but time will tell. Have a good evening.

Go USU, Go Utah and Go Seahawks!

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    Aug. 13, 2014 5:28 p.m.

@Spokane Ute,
    It was more than a nice try...I didn't say turn arounds were not possible. I simply was saying fan bases can become very pessimistic (you asked for just one, I gave you a batch), and I have personal experience with 20 years of the dismal Cardinals, Red Sox, etc. If you read my message, I clearly stated that if the Utes develop a tradition of losing, the fans will become pessimistic..it is human nature, but it takes time for that to happen. The Aggies had a horrific run of being worse than mediocre, and the fan base became very unenthused, expecting poor performances. That is why the last few years have been so glorious! The Utes need to develop a current winning tradition, they have not done that. Many of the PAC teams have, but the Utes are at a real disadvantage competing for recruits against the power schools with winning histories and superior coaching.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Aug. 13, 2014 9:47 p.m.

Once again tinplater get's real facts thrown on him and he refuses to accept it. Glad it's someone else this time.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    Aug. 14, 2014 7:09 a.m.

Stang0, just what facts were thrown on me? That teams can have a turnaround? Never denied that..what I did say, and what stands, is that if a team has a tradition of losing the fan base becomes pessimistic, expecting loses. Such as the New Orleans Saints (Aints) whose fans became so discouraged and embarrassed they wore paper bags over their heads to remain anonymous. That, sir, is a fact. And yes, New Orleans turned it around, but it took years to overcome their expected tradition of losing. Analyze that.

• RSL* Why, AZ
    Aug. 14, 2014 3:30 p.m.

Go Fight Win.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Aug. 14, 2014 4:07 p.m.

Read anything that Spokane Ute wrote tinplater. Just like USU during the Brent Guy era. But everyone has supposedly forgotten that. USU had a huge tradition of losing almost every game and you fans went on and on about how great they were. Even though you knew they were gonna lose under Guy you still talked about how great it was to be an aggie. Now that USU is having little success(not a lot and we all know it) and Utah is in a tough conference having a tough time, you feel the need to throw it in their face. Why? Remember USU was horrible for so many decades. Now they've moved from horrible to mediocre.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 14, 2014 7:32 p.m.

Stang08 is spot on! Seems like a double standard for tinplater.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    Aug. 15, 2014 4:19 p.m.

Hey, I agree they were horrible. And I at least wasn't crowing how great there were and don't know anyone who was. But now the fortunes have changed, perhaps not for long, but it exciting to be part of a pre season where expectations are high, we have multiple players getting national recognition. Always proud to be an Aggie, but still have doubts about our ability to win consistently after years of losing.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 15, 2014 8:06 p.m.

With Ck, usu lost to the only P5 schools they faced last season [0-2], including a "cancered" Usc still held down by soon to be left on the L.A. airport tarmac and summarily fired Lk [I was in my usual seats the previous night inside of Sun Devil Stadium watching Asu annihilate them]. They beat virtually nobody finishing with a winning record and beat a Niu team which lost their conference ch. game against a team finishing with a Sos ranked #123, while finishing with a Sos ranked #116, themselves. In other words, Niu was equal to Fresno State and, literally, beat nobody!

Where's the beef? This is the same, identical "resume" we see, annually, emanating out of provo.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2014 12:41 p.m.

All I can really say at this point is this: Utah fans never, ever used to talk about strength of schedule when they were in the WAC or Mountain West.

Now that they are losing in the Pac-12, it's all they ever talk about and use it as smack. Ya know who else is in the Pac-12 SOS club? Cal, Colorado, and Wazzou.

That says a lot about where Utah's program is heading if they don't turn the tide and fast.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Aug. 17, 2014 4:00 p.m.

I guess I'm not as alone as some claim.