Playoffs ‘almost impossible’ for Mountain West teams

Comments

• EPoint Roy, UT
    July 25, 2014 5:48 a.m.

Population, which translates into money, is at the heart of college sports. No one with influence is interested in pure sports so much as they are retaining power, prestige, publicity for the teams in higher populated areas, where more money can be obtained. Pure sportsmen, who care to see through all this to search out the truly best teams or athletes, are discouraged by all the foolishness. Hopefully Schools and Athletes do not live only and primarily for the accolades of a tainted press.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    July 25, 2014 7:12 a.m.

We don't have to worry now that we are pretegous even though we won't ever get to play for a national championship any more now either but we are still in a prestegous conference and that's the only thing what is important.

Go Utes!

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    July 25, 2014 9:40 a.m.

Yes its impossible. And that's how it should be.

A 2 loss SEC or 2 loss Pac 12 team will get picked before an undefeated WAC mid major like Wyoming or usu or byu.

The Pac 12 went 14-1 against the WAC including byu last year.

These leagues are miles apart and the playoffs are for the big boys only.

Want a chance to be in the playoffs?

Go set up your own for mid majors

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 25, 2014 10:35 a.m.

As a USU fan, I agree completely with Big 12 Call Yet. USU's goal should be to be a power in their conference, just like Utah's should be in theirs. Fortunately we are much more likely to succeed than Utah is. Until we have a playoff for mid major's we will have to be content with a post season bowl invitation. Good luck Utah.

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    July 25, 2014 11:07 a.m.

There is no reason that a mid-major team can't have one (or more) of the 4 best teams in the county. It has happened in the past and will in the future. That is why the format needs to be expanded to at least an 8 team playoff, which will take some of the politics out of it.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    July 25, 2014 11:39 a.m.

tinplater,

Shouldn't USU's goal be to be the best? Based on your logic you would say that it was better to be Fresno state last year than Alabama since Fresno won the WAC and Alabama didn't win the SEC.

LOL! See how silly that sounds.

Alabama fans last year had a LOT more to brag about than Fresno fans did, and Alabama likely would have stomped Fresno if they had played

How sad usu fans are content being the 3rd "best" team in the state and only being able to brag that they were better than Wyoming and New Mexico.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 25, 2014 12:24 p.m.

Big 12, your last post explains it all. To you sports is all about "bragging". Not to me. I enjoy competition. I really don't expect USU to be able to match BYU or Utah on a consistent basis, but when we do win (as we have in the recent past) it is very sweet indeed! So go ahead and brag about the Utes all you want ( I wouldn't have that discussion with USC, Oregon, or other Pac 12 teams that have owned you), I get satisfaction from watching the Aggies improve so dramatically in the past 5 years. It has been tremendously exciting period of Aggie football and has nothing to do with conference alignment.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    July 25, 2014 12:32 p.m.

tinplater,

Sports to be is about being the best I/we can be. I'm not doing any more bragging than you are by saying you want USU to be a power in the WAC. Clearly, you want your team to be better than the other WAC teams.

I don't limit the goals and dreams I have for my team to simply being better than Wyoming or New Mexico.

If you do, that's fine. Its sad, but fine.

Meanwhile I wont look to the middle of the pack as being the goal. Nothing exciting about being a nobody(see WAC winner) if that's all you accomplished

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 25, 2014 12:55 p.m.

tinplater

Last I checked USC beat you like they were supposed just like they beat Utah. Of course they've improved over the last 5 years, they play in the WAC 2.0 and anyone can improve there.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 25, 2014 1:01 p.m.

Big 12, you are a braggart, I am not. I want USU to be the best they can be. If they win, I don't brag that we are better, I am just satisfied that we won. Sometimes the "best" team wins, sometimes it loses. I enjoy the competition. I do want success, and the Aggies have had it in the last five years. I am happy. If you find that sad, it only reflects upon you, not me.

• AggieFan4Ever Logan, UT
    July 25, 2014 3:15 p.m.

Big 12, I don't think you have any room to call people out for sounding silly when you keep bringing up the WAC when speaking of the 2013 season... The WAC disbanded after the 2012 football season...

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 25, 2014 3:22 p.m.

Big 12, USU is in the MWC not the WAC. If winning the MWC leaves the champ a nobody in your opinion, fine it only reflects upon how small your appreciation of sport and sportsmanship is. When a team is at the bottom of it's conference (like Utah for instance) all folks like you can do is belittle other conferences and talk about how strong their conference is. But that doesn't make Utah a "somebody" because it is just in the conference. Have that conversation with Wake Forest for example.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    July 25, 2014 3:55 p.m.

I feel bad for big 12. You find joy in being the best slammed team in a power conference? The chase for the opportunity to be NC has ruined many of the best things about college football. College football is where a community can gather to root for their team playing against rivals and striving to win a conference championship. Making it to a bowl game and cheering your team towards victory. Remember when Utah could compete with its peers in the MWC? Remember what it was like to see the Utes play in a bowl game? I'm tickled to have USU make great strides in its football program and to paly in a stable conference where the Aggies can compete. Go Big Blue!!!

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    July 25, 2014 5:26 p.m.

tinplater,

No, simply being the Pac 12 doesn't make us a somebody. Going undefeated twice in the last decade and finishing twice in the top 5 and beating SEC powerhouse Alabama in a BCS game makes us a somebody.

Beating WAC nobodies like usu 15 out of the last 16 times we've played doesn't make a somebody, but it certainly shows where Utah and usu stack up against each other.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 25, 2014 5:50 p.m.

I have no argument that Utah has been better than USU. So what? Does that some how empower you? With Arizona State dominating Utah I don't feel superior to Utah. Past records are nice to reflect upon..think about Army football for awhile, maybe you will learn a life lesson.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 25, 2014 5:56 p.m.

@Big 12…I love how you guys take credit for beating WAC, Mountain West teams and then denigrate the conference and the teams therein. I get real satisfaction when fans like you have to suffer through multiple seasons of celler dwelling, only able to reflect upon what you did in the past and how difficult your conference is. Good luck. Go Aggies. Go Sun Devils.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 25, 2014 6:17 p.m.

At Big 12…one final thought..as an ASU fan I could denigrate the Utes based upon our dominance of them, our record in the WAC of 31 W and 4 L, 27 bowl appearances, and one of them a Rose Bowl, not to mention PAC 12 success. But instead I just take pleasure in ASU and USU success, progress in their programs, and national respect the Aggies have earned this year. Interestingly ESPN last night had nothing but glowing commentary about USU and Keeton and not a word about the Utes. Being "somebody" is a very relative term, I suspect USC doesn't think the Utes are anybody at all.

• cowboy51 Laporte, CO
    July 25, 2014 7:44 p.m.

The 2004 and 2008 Utah teams would have not been in the final four using the current format. I'm sure alot of Utes fans would argue they should have been in the final four both years. But since you were a nobody, you would get no chance to play. The Utes will never be in the final four. Even if they went undefeated in the PAC 12 they still would not be in the final four(it would be deemed a down year for the PAC 12. Utes fans can enjoy that big win 6 years ago against Alabama. But teams have had success beating the tide if they dont play for the Title.

• cowboy51 Laporte, CO
    July 25, 2014 7:55 p.m.

Everybody knows Utah does not belong in the PAC 12. They were only added to get another media market along with CU and Denver. Also, 12 teams= conference championship game. They belong with USU, BYU, TCU, Bosie State in the Mountain West. Remember those wonderful teams you always brag about(2004,2008) the only reason they were who they were was because of being in the Moutain West. Enjoy the money ride and losing seasons on the coat tails of Stanford, Oregon, ASU, USC, and UCLA. You are in a Power 5 conference but you sure are not a Power Five team. You are just like BYU and USU. Im not a BYU fan, but you will NEVER have as many championships as BYU.

• stevan madrigal murray, UT
    July 25, 2014 8:09 p.m.

Wait, did I miss the part about the advantages of being an independent?

• AggieFan4Ever Logan, UT
    July 25, 2014 8:39 p.m.

@stevan like only being able to schedule 2 for 1s with big teams leaving home schedules of Idaho State and Savannah State? Being left out of the playoff picture and not getting any money from them like even the G5 conferences do? Yeah, Independence is great. Just ask Bronco.

• AggieFan4Ever Logan, UT
    July 25, 2014 8:42 p.m.

Big 12, you can't say that Utah are world-beaters for going undefeated in the MWC and then label USU as nobodies when they beat the same competition. Doesn't work that way.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    July 25, 2014 11:29 p.m.

I actually kind of like having detractors on here. It's a powerful reminder to Aggie fans (and the detractors) that our program is in substantially better shape than theirs. If they genuinely had something to cheer for in regards to their own team, they wouldn't be on here trying to tear us down.

Simply put, being against a team you disdain more than showing the pride and love for your own team is pretty sad. And it's patently absurd to hear Chris B talk up Utah as a world beater in the Mountain West days and then turn around and make fun of those same teams his Utes beat up on to become relevant in the first place.

You can't have your cake and eat it, too in college football.

• Mr. Caveman Omaha, NE
    July 26, 2014 8:27 a.m.

Big 12's team never dominated the WAC, the MWC, and is now a mud-wiping mat in the PAC. His bitterness shows through his posts. USU had more success in the WAC than Utah did their decades of being in that league. When your team can't win and shows no signs of winning, you become a sore loser. Just skip by his posts because he can't make any civil conversation about any team.

USU I think only has 8 starters coming back so we'll see how that team does with many of Gary's recruits gone. Many other MWC teams will be better this year.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 26, 2014 9:09 a.m.

The adage love your friends, respect your enemies really applies here. The idea of the Ute fans demeaning the Aggies because we are where Utah has been is laughable. They appear to be under the illusion that we are PAC 12 wannabes. No way USU could compete at that level. Utah is clearly having trouble with that. Utah should contemplate their climate compared to So Cal, their national reputation compared to just about anyone in PAC 12 except Wash State, Oregon State, Colorado, and the impact PAC 12 programs have had on NFL participation. Utes usually respond with "players will come to SLC because they will get to play". That, of course, is just an admission that there are more and better athletes at the other schools. Just as a question, who is having more fun right now, Aggie Fan or Ute Fan? Ute Fan seems to amuse himself by trashing the Aggies since there is no fun in Uteville right now.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    July 26, 2014 12:54 p.m.

Aggie4ever,

You think usu has done what Utah did?

Lol!

I don't remember usu going undefeated twice and winning two big time bowl games and beating sec powerhouse to finish top 5 twice recently.

When did you guys do that?

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    July 26, 2014 12:57 p.m.

Aggiefan4ever,

"Same competition"?

Lol!

Ya, except that the Mwc replaced tcu with usu and Utah with San Jose and byu with Fresno.

Oh, and except that we went undefeated twice against better competition and you never did against worse WAC competition

• cmsense Kaysville, UT
    July 26, 2014 1:10 p.m.

If the 5 "power" conferences decide to shut out the 5 "non power" conferences out of playoffs and out of the $, I think the non power conferences should create their own Division 1 championship playoff system. Personally if my team won't even be considered for the playoff of the "power" conferences, I won't have much interest in that championship and I bet their ratings will go down. The great thing about basketball is that everyone feels like at least they had a shot and the results were proven on the court. They should go to an 8 team playoff soon and have at least 2 spots garanteed to the highest rated non power conferences.

Maybe the ratings wouldn't be as big as with the "power" conferences but a championship game of our own on New Years Day would field some awsome talent, such as UCF that beat Baylor last year. They may have more money now but we don't have to settle for peanuts either.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 26, 2014 1:28 p.m.

@tinplater

"You are the braggart, I am not". Really? Is that what you really think of yourself?

@AggieFan4Ever

It's still the WAC. We just call it the WAC 2.0 not the MWC. The MWC disappeared when Utah, BYU and TCU left.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 26, 2014 4:24 p.m.

Hey Stang0, who cares what they call the conference? Only problem with WAC 2.0 is no one in the country knows what you are referring to. I kind of like WAC 2 because it is easier to say.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 26, 2014 4:28 p.m.

@Big 12,
    Don't you think you would be well served to try and cheer on the Utes to a winning season and bowl game this year? As an ASU fan I can trump anything you throw me from a Ute perspective, but what is in the past doesn't make it any easier for you to become bowl eligible, does it?

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    July 26, 2014 11:15 p.m.

History doesn't play football games, Chris. Utah hasn't done anything recently. That Sugar bowl win was nearly six years ago! There are no Utes left on the roster who played in that game.

The Utes have been consistently losing in the Pac-12 and there is very little indication that will change this year or the next. Deal with it.

Show me your true team spirit and go cheer on your own team rather than trying to tear mine down. I bet you wouldn't even be on this board if you genuinely had something to cheer for in Uteville.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 28, 2014 12:48 p.m.

@tinplater

What's so hard about the WAC 2.0? You and all other aggies seem to understand it.

• tinplater scottsdale, AZ
    July 28, 2014 6:07 p.m.

Stangzero, nothing hard about it at all…as I said I like the sound of WAC 2.0 better than Mountain West Conference…easier to say, but no one would no what you are referring to (except you, of course)

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    July 29, 2014 12:59 p.m.

Everyone knows what I'm referring to tinplater.

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    July 29, 2014 1:58 p.m.

Big 12: "...recently"??

My, how time flies. Of course, "recently" is a relative term -- don't look now, but that Fiesta Bowl win over mighty Pittsburgh was a decade ago -- yep, 10 years and a Hall of Fame coach ago. I'm afraid the afterglow has faded, but have to admit that the timing was perfect relative to the college football landscape -- and the Urban surge was just enough to land you in the PAC. Well done, utes -- now go do something "recent".

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    July 30, 2014 11:40 p.m.

Of the 120 teams in D-1 College Football, roughly 110 of them (especially Utah) will never reach the 4 team playoff either, especially Utah.
    So sit back and enjoy your teams play and all of you, just put your idealism to bed.
    Enjoy!