NFL Draft: Michael Sam picked by St. Louis Rams, becomes first openly gay player drafted

Comments

• Ken Sandy, UT
    May 10, 2014 8:15 p.m.

I hope this is the last time we need to hear about his lifestyle choices. I don't particularly care to be reminded of ones sexual choices day after day, regardless of gay or straight. He's made a lifestyle decision. Fine. I'm not more impressed with him deciding this than I would be if a straight person wanted to tell us he is straight.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    May 10, 2014 8:38 p.m.

As a lifelong Rams fan I am very happy about the entire draft and happy they got Sam who is a great football player and a steal at that stage of the draft. Best of luck to him and the Rams.

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    May 11, 2014 1:59 a.m.

Years ago, when I was LDS living in Atlanta, it was a big deal that Dale Murphy was on the Braves.

I know that Steve Young gets lionized currently.

And some people approve of Tim Tebow's antics and find his brand of Christian showboating to be inspiring.

Now young gay kids have Michael Sams as an inspiration and role model.

This is a good thing.

And the video of his celebration with his partner was adorable.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 11, 2014 3:31 a.m.

Ken, I'll be expecting to hear your outrage on every article that mentions a player's wife or girlfriend, then, as well. I mean, really, we don't need people's "lifestyle choices" of heterosexuality shoved in our face, do we?

Although I'm not gay, I can appreciate and applaud Sam and the Rams for helping break a barrier for other LGBT athletes with pro aspirations. Hopefully we'll see him and others prove that "If you can play, you can play" isn't just a catchy slogan, but a reality for any athlete deemed "different," be it in race, religion, sexual preference or orientation, or any other way.

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    May 11, 2014 11:01 a.m.

• Bob K portland, OR
    May 11, 2014 5:03 p.m.

Balan
    South Jordan, Utah
    "StGtoSLC, can't read or just don't understand? Ken was clear "I don't particularly care to be reminded of ones sexual choices day after day, regardless of gay or straight." I too am fed up with the incessant blabber about ones sexual orientation. Be what you are; just keep it in the bedroom."

Can't read or just don't understand? -- as was stated clearly by StGtoSLC, straight people are trumpeting their "lifestyle" by referring to their wife, photo of husband on desk, etc etc, every day.

Gay people either must lie (as the lds ask their Gay kids to do) every time they mention anything personal, or end the pretense and state that they are Gay.

Michael Sam is the "first one like him" so he is newsworthy. When George Romney was the first mormon to run for President, that was newsworthy. When the first woman went to the Supreme Court.... etc etc etc.

Your fundamental error is assuming that being Gay is about sex, rather than about love.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 11, 2014 5:07 p.m.

stgslc,

I will be equally outraged the next time I see ESPN talk about a straight persons decision to tell the whole world he is straight and gives him countless attention solely for his decision to want to tell the world he is straight.

THANKFULLY I've never seen that. Straight people don't do that.

• Bob K portland, OR
    May 11, 2014 6:31 p.m.

Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT
    stgslc,
    "THANKFULLY I've never seen that. Straight people don't do that."

Yes, and Gay people who are "easy to spot as Gay" need to do it less.

If you are a big, burly football player and Gay, mostly you have to correct people when they ask if you are dating a girl, etc, so you have to speak up in order to be treated as who you are.

Does this help?
    --- I have a friend who is from a Black family, but, due to his looks, has to keep telling people he is not Puerto Rican and does not speak Spanish.

• Stormwalker Cleveland , OH
    May 12, 2014 6:22 a.m.

@Chris B: "THANKFULLY I've never seen that. Straight people don't do that."

Mets player Dan Murphy shoved his heterosexuality down our throats by missing a game due to his opposite-sex partner delivering a baby. I don't want to know about their hetero life.

See how that works? "I'm married, my wife is having a baby" gives much information.

Mr. Sams disclosed some personal information because he has a partner, who was there to celebrate with him when the announcement was made.

When I am in a job interview I mention "my husband and I moved hereā€¦" because I don't want a job with subtle, or overt, homophobia or outright abuse. It seems an indirect way to make sure everyone is comfortable.

And, after years of having to hide, it feels good to claim that identity. While Mr. Sams is a young man, I'm sure that in the sports world he has had to pretend to be something he's not. The fact that other people are uncomfortable and trying to force them back in the closet speaks volumes about why he felt it important to do this.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2014 7:57 a.m.

Bob,

Gay people who are "easy to spot as Gay" need to do it less

LOL

I've been told on these boards its impossible to tell if someone is gay or not by looking at them, but apparently you think some people who are gay are "easy to spot?"

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 12, 2014 9:52 a.m.

This world is fundamentally transforming.

What was shameful a few years ago is applauded today. A sign of courage?

What next?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 12, 2014 10:48 a.m.

"What next?"

Hopefully lower suicide rates among minority groups who are at the greatest risk, less discrimination, and actual acceptance of others, rather than the lip service of "tolerance." That'd be a start, anyway.

• chicagoborn Salt Lake City, UT
    May 12, 2014 3:31 p.m.

I remember the last time a kid came out to their parents as a heterosexual and was then kicked out of their parent's house. Said no one ever. The reason it's a big deal when someone comes out as gay is because there are still gay people committing suicide over bullying experienced at school and not being accepted by their parents. So stop with the "straight people never announce to the world their sexual preference." Are their any REAL negative consequences of being a heterosexual because I sure haven't found any. Can someone enlighten me?

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    May 13, 2014 12:04 a.m.

Is Mr. Sam an NFL-quality football player, or not?

If he is, then his sexuality is entirely irrelevant. Play the game and good luck to you and your team.

If he's not, then his sexuality is entirely irrelevant. Maybe he can coach somewhere.

We got past the issue of skin color in professional sports - we'll get past this issue, too.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 14, 2014 9:59 a.m.

Who cares who he sleeps with. I thought his whining that he didn't go in the first three rounds was very typical of an inflated ego. Time will tell if he makes it in the NFL. You can be assured that if he doesn't make it in the NFL, someone will say it's because he's a homosexual and they discriminated against him because of his sexual preference.

If he makes it, then great. If he doesn't, then oh well. Many don't make it, regardless of their sexual preference.