U.S. & World

Hillary Clinton: America's gun culture is 'way out of balance'

Comments

• boneheaded, but not a smidgen SLC, UT
    May 6, 2014 1:34 p.m.

what is out of balance is liberal thinking big government is the answer. how about parents being parents (including a dad in the family) and federal nannies minding their own business, getting off their government dole and getting a job that ian't paid for by the taxpayer. hillary is nothing more than a career politican. and a bad one at that....besides, what difference does it make?

• Copacetic Logan, UT
    May 6, 2014 1:44 p.m.

I don't recall anyone in either party, or even in the NRA saying "anyone, anywhere should be able to own and carry a gun."
    If anyone disputes that, I'd like to have a verifiable link to who said it and when.

And if no one actually said such a thing, then Hillary is exaggerating things up to gain some additional publicity for the democrats.
    I believe it's obvious that literally no one wants felons or underaged or known mentally ill people to own and/or carry guns. I've never once heard anyone, even from the NRA, argue that such people should be allowed to.

But what the NRA and conservatives don't want is to open the door to more and more gun laws that would eventually make it very difficult for anyone to own and/or carry a gun for self defense purposes. A move too far in that direction would then truly have America's gun culture out of balance the other direction and the 2nd Amendment almost meaningless. Nevertheless, that is what many liberals would love to see happen. Obviously, most sensible gun owners (and most are) don't want that to happen.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2014 2:07 p.m.

Who ever said that anyone should have a gun at anytime? There are laws restricting who can buy guns, who can't have guns etc.

This coming from the same government that handed over assault rivals to drug lords, which were then used to murder US and Mexican civilians. Maybe the government shouldn't be allowed to have weapons, unless we vote on it and allow them on a case by case basis.

Remember we the people are the boss, not the other way around.

• Tumbleweed Centerville, UT
    May 6, 2014 2:24 p.m.

For her to say that anyone can have a gun, anywhere or anytime is OUTRAGEOUS and an out and out lie. As Secretary of State and a former Senator you know she is aware that there are 20,000 gun laws already on the books. She has to know that most mass murders are occurring in "gun-free" zones where folks don't have the right to defend themselves, hence the higher casualties (kind of like our "gun-free" Post Offices where people "go postal" resulting in high casualties).

It is very plain the US Code that felons, those convicted of domestic violence (yes, even misdemeanors), those mentally defective or having ever been committed to a mental institution, those with domestic protective orders, illegal aliens, those dishonorably discharged and drug addicts are all prohibited from possessing a firearm or even a bullet. There are secured areas everywhere that do not allow firearms - airports, courts, federal buildings etc.

How can she lie like this and keep getting away with it?

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2014 2:31 p.m.

After all of the recent stabbings at schools where children were murdered, maimed and traumatized....why not restrict knives? After all if we can save just one child from a horrible stabbing death then it would be worth it right? That's the argument against guns. But, the left justifies it saying the knife doesn't murder as many people as guns (like a knife can make a decision). But, if you were to look at the most used and lethal weapons. It goes club, knife then gun. So we should also ban clubs.

Even more people are killed by cigarettes and it destroys other peoples lives by second hand and third hand smoke. Let's outlaw them. After all they kill more than the weapons combined.

TV hasn't helped to get people active, which leads to heart disease; yet Romney was criticized when he wanted to defund PBS. If we want kids to be active, shouldn't we turn off big bird and get kids outside? Just saying michelle o....

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 6, 2014 2:49 p.m.

She's right, but we're paralyzed when it comes time to doing anything about it. Just look at the comments that have been and will be posted. We can demand big government regulation of E cigarettes and do something as silly as put up the zion curtain in a restaurant, but guns are strictly off limits.

• mcclark Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2014 2:53 p.m.

The reaction of "gun enthusiasts" to the technology that can prevent anybody but the guns owner from using it show the insanity of the NRA and their backers.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    May 6, 2014 3:20 p.m.

This is the same lady who, when questioned recently, couldn't answer what her greatest accomplishment had been while "serving" as secretary of state. If she can't answer the question, then why are we buying her claim (and the media's) that she belongs in the white house? And taking all guns away resolves what? And who gets to determine whether an individual is competent or fit to possess a gun?

She's just another new world order hack. We've got one already in the white house and his performance so far makes me long for Jimmy Carter. And knowing all of Jimmy Carter's warts, I'd take him any day over Hillary.

She's not fit for office. Never has been. Never will be.

• funny_guy Vacaville, CA
    May 6, 2014 3:32 p.m.

Hillary would love for all guns to be under government's control. Our Founding Fathers were well aware of the resulting travesty of out-of-control government. What I find out of balance is Hillary, not our Constitution. How elitist! Hillary knows what is best for the rest of us mere mortal "peons." Long live the Second Amendment -- the right of individuals to keep and bear arms.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    May 6, 2014 3:44 p.m.

Hillary should read the constitution especially the 2nd amendment. If she ever does she will be surprised to see that SHE is way out of balance. "No man is free unless the government is limited", R. Reagan

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 6, 2014 4:02 p.m.

what in the wide world of sports does Hillary know about the American gun culture? Does she hunt ducks? Pheasants? Elk? Does she shoot skeet? Has she EVER been certified to shoot a hand gun (9mm)? The woman knows ZERO about guns or the so-called gun culture yet here she is lecturing us all. Before she opens her big mouth and starts trying to ban guns it would be nice to at least visit some of the states that do carry and do hunt (pretty much anywhere in the south or west) and talk with the folks there. She would find out that what is REALLY out of control are liberals who hate the second amendment.

• BJMoose Syracuse, UT
    May 6, 2014 4:17 p.m.

To Maple Don: The reason she couldn't name her greatest accomplishment while serving as Sec. Of State is she had so many she couldn't single out just one. You need to apprise yourself of what John Huntsman just said about her on an Ora television appearance with Larry King. He was very complimentary and had high praise for our next president.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 6, 2014 5:01 p.m.

* After coming under gunfire in Bosnia, it's understandable why Hillary wants gun regulation.

* What difference does it make if people own guns?

* Eighty percent of the worlds military weapons have originally come from our country. So why would our political leaders want gun control?

* Our political leaders don't know how to balance a checkbook, but know how to regulate gun ownership?

Hmm?

• OneWifeOnly San Diego, CA
    May 6, 2014 5:08 p.m.

Last month a 2-year-old boy died after his 3-year-old sister accidentally shot him in the stomach with a rifle inside their Utah home. Last month four people were killed and 16 injured in Texas. Last month, three people were killed in Kansas. In March a 10 year old boy was killed in San Diego (my home town) by a 9 year old girl. The girl's 14 year old sibling was babysitting at the time and no adults were present. If I had enough space, I could list many accidental and deliberate shootings of children and adults from every state in our nation. I want to have a conversation about putting guns on the market that would allow hunters to use guns in their sport and would allow owners of guns access to shoot the weapon in self-defense while not allowing someone who is not the owner of the gun from firing that weapon. The technology is available but as noted in this article, the gun culture in America is way out of balance. The gun culture in America is so far out of balance that we cannot even have a conversation about how to stop children from shooting other children.

• 1conservative WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    May 6, 2014 5:13 p.m.

"America's gun culture is way out of balance" - headline

I agree, federal law enforcement has way too many guns. That, and the fact that federal agencies send guns to mexican drug cartels tells me that gun reform is in order - for federal bureaucrats.

Start there.

• Avenue Vernal, UT
    May 6, 2014 5:33 p.m.

@BJMoose
    Our people's rights are in grave danger if Clinton becomes president. Our gun control today is on the border of violating the Second Amendment. Evil people can, and have, gained powerful positions in their national governments. I can see this easily coming in America's future.

• Mikhail ALPINE, UT
    May 6, 2014 5:38 p.m.

Yup!

Those NRA types are nuts!

Christians are intolerant and want everyone else to be Christian! (oh me, oh my)

Heterosexuals are homophobic!

Tea Party advocates are terrorists!

People who don't believe in man-made global climate change (or whatever it is called today) are "flat-earthers!"

Good is bad and bad is good.

Patriots are traitors.

Conservatives are haters.

And the beat goes on...

I smell elections coming...

It is amazing that there are actually human beings who buy this drivel.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 6, 2014 6:06 p.m.

Are Americans under educated?

If the media picks Hillary, will the people follow the lead.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2014 6:58 p.m.

to Thid Barker & patriot

One average citizen doesn't need to have a personal armory equivalent to all of Seal Team 6.

• On the other hand Riverdale, MD
    May 6, 2014 7:38 p.m.

Heaven forbid we take any measures to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    May 6, 2014 7:42 p.m.

This bound to make to old conservatives madder. It will also make the majority of younger voters elect her by Obama margins.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 6, 2014 8:01 p.m.

re:Mikhail

Excellent post. Very well said. Spot on.

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    May 6, 2014 10:21 p.m.

Let's not exaggerate on either side. I'm sure 2nd amendment enthusiasts don't really believe in guns for anyone, anywhere. Likewise I'm sure Clinton doesn't want the government to take away our right to bear arms. It's a matter of our relative positions between the extremes.

Whenever anyone proposes a shift left or right the other side will demonize that shift as a "slippery slope" to the extreme or as "the camel's nose under the tent."

Consider this claim. I just happen to think that children are safer in homes without guns than in homes with guns. Can anyone prove otherwise? Why not let the CDC study the issue scientifically? It used to, but congress stripped it of funding for such research under pressure from the gun lobby. Imagine. The CDC may not study a significant cause of death and injury in our society because a political lobby objects.

Let's resume such studies so we have something more than emotions to argue with.

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    May 7, 2014 5:58 a.m.

She sort of showed us what would happen at 3 in the morning if the balloon went up with Benghazi. Afterwards, she let the Ambassador to the UN be her spokesperson and the President may not have been truthful in the Rose Garden or with the schemed debate moderator later. We don't need a person that was in the White House persuasion for 8 years now potentially making decisions for our country and world for 8 more.

• Itsjstmeagain Merritt Island, Fl
    May 7, 2014 6:25 a.m.

As a former NRA member, I agree with her. We hear the words of the NRA that the only way to be safe is to carry a gun. Then we see a situation like Clive Bundey call up a posse of self described Irregulars who control the local roads and threaten citizens with more firepower than the US Agents have.
    One major question that is never addressed by the NRA is just how many crimes were thwarted by a citizen with a gun in their possession. Make sure the number can be proven and balance that against the number of stolen guns used in a crime.
    Let's face it, the purpose of the NRA is to promote gun sales not education, and has ignored sensible constraints on things like heavy weapons.

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    May 7, 2014 6:47 a.m.

Please Hillary, please do run for President on an anti 2nd Amendment platform.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    May 7, 2014 7:24 a.m.

Mrs. Clinton may be sincere in her beliefs. However, the "one size fits all" is just not the answer. There are basically two cultures involved. The urban core has a problem with violent crime and guns. Suburban and rural areas want guns to protect themselves. You cannot equate the two. If you take guns away from those who want to defend home and hearth, you will leave them defenseless in the ability of violent criminals to obtain heavy weaponry. Gangs are close to being classified as guerilla armies. There are radical leaders who wish to make them such. Therefore, Mrs. Clinton needs to be a little more forthcoming on her gun control specifics. You cannot take guns away from one group and leave the other group "armed to the teeth".

• OneWifeOnly San Diego, CA
    May 7, 2014 8:22 a.m.

• portlander Arlington, WA
    May 7, 2014 8:56 a.m.

She's worried about me owning my guns, with all of the armed guards and personal security that she employs? What a hypocrite!

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 7, 2014 9:56 a.m.

Until steps are taken to impose draconian punishment for those that use guns in crime, nothing will happen.

BTW law abiding gun owners are not the problem here.

On the Other Hand, just how do you propose to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill? Are you going to violate their rights to do so? If someone is mentally ill and gets cured, what about that? Who is going to judge who is mentally ill? You? Hillary?

BJ Moose, just what has she accomplished? Point something out for me.

Mister J, I don't think you have a clue what type and how much weaponry Seal Team 6 carries or has. I'm pretty sure that is classified and I'm betting that no one has that much. Although I could wage a small scale war with mine.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    May 7, 2014 10:01 a.m.

Yes one wife only, and 41 people died due to a tornado. Do we ban tornados? John C C, I have a gun safe in my house with an electronic lock. Only two people know the combination. My wife and I. There are guns locked up there. I challenge you to prove my house is any less safe than yours. No kid can get into my safe and get my guns. My grandchildren play in that room all the time. I'm not anticipating any problems with their safety. Because of my gun safe, they are just as safe in my home with guns in it as in your home with no guns.

Itjusmeagain, last time I looked the NRA expends a lot of money for education on the proper and safe use of firearms, including how to propery store them.

• EllenJ San Diego, CA
    May 7, 2014 11:14 a.m.

@Flashback
    No we cannot ban tornadoes but we also do not send our children out to play in the middle of the storm. Instead we build shelters, teach our children safety protocols for dealing with an emergency and stock our homes with provisions such as food and water. The topic of this article is not tornadoes--it is the attitude of our society about guns.

I applaud you and your wife for taking a prudent approach to safely owning guns and your attitude toward ensuring the safety of your grandchildren. I suspect your home and my home are equally safe. I also respect your right to own your guns. By your post it seems you also respect my right to decline ownership of a gun.

The vast majority of the posts on this article are not written in a way that allows for a dialogue about how to deal with the very real problem of balancing my right to not get shot while congregating in a public place with your right to own a gun. We do not have a balanced gun culture in America and will not until our society allow rational dialog on the matter.

• EllenJ San Diego, CA
    May 7, 2014 11:19 a.m.

@Flashback

The vast majority of the posts on this article are not written in a way that allows for a dialogue about how to deal with the very real problem of balancing my right to not get shot with your right to own a gun. We do not have a balanced gun culture in America and will not until our society allow rational dialog on the matter.

• EllenJ San Diego, CA
    May 7, 2014 11:26 a.m.

@Flashback
    Although I commented in my previous post that the topic of this article is not tornadoes, it is a good analogy. I am not a structural engineer and so I do not know the first thing about building a tornado shelter. But because government regulates building codes and inspects the work of tornado shelter contractors I can be reasonably assured that should I hire someone to build a shelter for me it will be built properly. I also think our government should be able to regulate the sale of firearms. Unfortunately we do not have a balanced gun culture in America and as a result we do not have rational dialog on how to regulate firearm sale and ownership.

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    May 7, 2014 11:57 a.m.

Thank you, Flashback and EllenJ, for reason instead of rhetoric. Yes, guns can be kept safely in the home. Don't think I'm anti-gun. I've stored them in my own home in a gun safe for a friend. At one time I would just put my Army-issue .45 pistol and magazine up on a high shelf when I would come home for lunch. Our first child was a toddler and I would carry a briefcase full of cash as a pay officer. I love my experience with a number of light and heavy weapons in the military. I've taken my scouts through many shooting and gun safety experiences, including my own sons. I've invited NRA trainers to teach gun safety to my elementary school students.

I've studied accidental shootings of children by other children since the 1950's. This is real to me. I twice nearly shot another child while young, once under trained supervision and once just goofing off with an older brother's (unsecured) shotgun.

Fewer such children die when the laws are stricter.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 7, 2014 12:17 p.m.

re:happy2bhere

You're free to express your opinion but recognize probably 80% of the people of Utah have either grown up with guns or at least strongly support the Second Amendment. Your small minority view of hating the US Constitution does fit nicely however into the liberal viewpoint .

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    May 7, 2014 12:42 p.m.

patriot

Please re-read my post carefully. I might not have phrased it very well, but it is very anti Hillary Clinton, which I am proud to claim title to. I think if she becomes a President it will spell disaster for America, especially after 8 years of this current guy. And I know that any person who would try to campaign for President of the U.S. by running against the 2nd Amendment would be burnt toast politically. Far to many Americans agree with you and me about 2nd Amendment rights. Maybe I should have phrased it more clearly. You and I mostly agree on issues from what I've read of your posts in the past. Thanks Patriot.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2014 12:43 p.m.

to Flashback

Even though you live in Kearns, it is still no reason to have more than a few guns.

As for my analogy...(In the words of Chris Jericho) Lighten up, Junior. A few less rounds of ammo might do the trick?

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    May 7, 2014 1:10 p.m.

Having lived in countries that had martial law or dictator type leaders where guns were not allowed, the government has complete control with police and soldiers. These places are not freedom places. There is a balance and some in our country take guns too far.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    May 7, 2014 1:18 p.m.

Yes, thanks to those who responded with something other than predictable rhetoric. I am not a big Hillary fan, but I am grateful to her for saying this.

Some of my tax dollars go to support a police force here in Houston - people who undergo regular training on recognizing situations that call for the use of a gun. And even THEY make mistakes sometimes.

Yet virtually any person can buy a gun and, with one little course, be allowed to carry it - concealed - almost anywhere they go. They are not accountable to me or to any other taxpayer; they don't have to undergo the same degree or frequency of training as the police force we already have; and I have no idea who they are so I am deprived of the opportunity to avoid their company.

Buying that gun and that permit purchases people outsized power to impact scores of other lives with a single pull of a trigger. Most humans beings simply aren't very good at comprehending this until the damage is done.

Yes, we absolutely need a rational discussion about this.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    May 7, 2014 3:13 p.m.

Hey Copacetic -

Really? You don't think that in the United States, "anyone, anywhere should be able to own and carry a gun."

What do you think the words " . . . The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" means?

Maybe it means . . . The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Ever think of that?

"I'd like to have a verifiable link to who said it and when . . ."

OK, Google this: Transcript of the US Constitution

• Mikhail ALPINE, UT
    May 7, 2014 3:59 p.m.

My proposal for making guns safer:

1. Treat the guns as serious and life-threatening implements;
    2. Stop believing that government needs to do something about it;
    3. If you own a gun, or have one in your possession, be responsible and mature about its use;
    4. Don't believe that one size fits all - gun owners come with many different situations;
    5. Believe that the Founders of the Constitution thought that gun ownership was an important part of the preservation of freedom from tyrants and villains,
    6. Believe that both good and evil exist - act accordingly, and
    7. Treat your fellow man (person) as you would like to be treated.

• Heilig St. George, Washington, UT
    May 7, 2014 9:53 p.m.

@Hutterite

"She's right, but we're paralyzed when it comes time to doing anything about it.... We can demand big government regulation of E cigarettes and do something as silly as put up the zion curtain in a restaurant, but guns are strictly off limits."

By making your comment, you adopt Clinton's fallacies and include a few of your own.

"She's right" You offer no specifics on where and why she is right, and you want us just to trust you and her. You accept her straw-man argument that it is "almost article of faith that anybody can have a gun anywhere, anytime" when no one has proposed that.

Next, you completely misrepresent the truth when you say we're "paralyzed" about doing anything about gun control. There are thousands of rules and regulations in place which also makes your comment that "guns are strictly off limits" seem out of place.

"We can ... do something as silly as put up the zion curtain in a restaurant." This statement draws attention away from the issue at hand (a red herring) and is an attempt at an appeal to ridicule.

• Vince Ballard South Ogden, UT
    May 8, 2014 6:33 a.m.

No one is saying that 'anyone' should own a gun. The trouble is that Ms. Clinton has hobnobbed with those categorically opposed to anyone owning a gun. That has been the problem ever since the days of the Gun Control Act of 1968, and N.R.A. President Franklin L. Orth's attempts to reach a reasonable agreement with Senator Thomas Dodd. This is why no one on the pro gun side will compromise, because sad experience has shown the treachery of gun control zealots who see guns as a moral and social evil per se. This leads to another point: The last half dozen times I have been to a shooting range, I have seen nothing but AR style rifles and high capacity semi automatic pistols. (It made me feel like a dinosaur.) Why? Not because most people are especially affluent, but because of repeated threats by the gun control movement, and distrust of the government. Do I think the massive shift in interest of the shooting public toward combat weapons is a healthy trend? Not necessarily, but the gun control movement has provided the impetus for this trend.

• CBAX Provo, UT
    May 10, 2014 11:29 a.m.

The gun culture is deeply ingrained in who were are. Not because many of us own guns, but because Hollywood and Call of Duty Glorify them. A 30 second AD in the super bowl costs millions but "don't worry guns in movies don't affect us"?

I have played a lot of games. Let me tell you, with half decent hardware you can get some pretty visceral blood sprays and other bodily destruction in high definition. Many R-Rated movies depict people being shot directly. How many people have we seen "die" in the last year? Many of us have seen more deaths in the cinema than we have heard in the news.

I have shot many weapons at a range, been hunting etc. and I have friends that carry a concealed weapon. (I don't)
    I have never seen anyone riddled with bullets, decapitated, blown away, headshot-sniped at a Gun range or with those friends who carry. Let me tell you though, I went to a few movies last year and I got my fill of that stuff.