U.S. & World

Shoe thrown at Hillary Clinton during speech

Comments

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 9:16 a.m.

What I'd like to know is how much she was paid for this.

The kind of money these people make after (and during) their public "service" is astonishing...and more than a bit unseemly.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    April 11, 2014 9:38 a.m.

"A black and orange athletic shoe was recovered from the stage,"

I smell a Nike commercial in the making.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    April 11, 2014 9:43 a.m.

1) Don't throw a shoe at Hillary Clinton. How would you like it if someone did that to you. Plus it cheapens the symbolism of the Iraqi who threw a shoe at Pres. Bush.

2) Hillary Clinton said, "People bring their beliefs and their concerns to the table, and work them through," Clinton said."

I absolutely agree. I wonder if the mis-named Human Rights Cmmpaign invited her to talk to them, if she might point that out to them or decline the invitation based on this principle that she has stated.

• intervention slc, UT
    April 11, 2014 9:44 a.m.

@samhill
    So someone decides to attampt to assault her and your question is how much was she paid for the speech?

• lixircat Indianapolis, IN
    April 11, 2014 9:46 a.m.

I am a right-winger Tea Party type and if I ever met Hillary, we would have a fairly unfriendly argument about dozens of topics.
    But this is disgusting. At the end of the day, she's an old lady. Disagree with her, debate her, vote against her, but don't resort to childish violence.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 10:03 a.m.

Likely a staged event to garner sympathy for Hillary. Sad thing is that it will probably achieve the desired results.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 11, 2014 10:16 a.m.

Remember when Hillary stated she was under gun fire in Bosnia, and had to be pushed into a car by her body guards, to be safe of being hit by a bullet?

Turned out to be false!

How do know if this shoe incident wasn't staged?

Why can't this country have some morals, and elect people who tell the truth?

And yes! You won't see your taxes go up a single dime.

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    April 11, 2014 11:40 a.m.

Lixircat -

"You're a Right Winger Tea Party type?"

And "At the end of the day, she's an old lady?"

• intervention slc, UT
    April 11, 2014 12:08 p.m.

@jim and worf

Unfounded comments suggesting the victim of a crime staged the crime do make one stop and question the subject of character but not that of the victims.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 1:00 p.m.

to Tekakaromatagi

"Really? Honestly. Who throws a shoe?" - Austin Powers

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 1:27 p.m.

intervention

Whats wrong with a question about how much she made to do this? Seems like a very valid and fair question. I know you will protect Hillary regardless, but a simple question is no attack against her - no need to get so defensive.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    April 11, 2014 1:40 p.m.

There was a time when vegetables was thrown. Shoes was too expensive now vegetables are.

• intervention slc, UT
    April 11, 2014 1:45 p.m.

@chris

You are right it is a fair question but there is also such thing as an appropriate time and context for asking such questions. A story about the person being assulted not good timing or appropriate context. At best it shows a lack of appropriate social graces.

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 2:17 p.m.

She lectures us that we have to come to the table and talk. Yet she avoids meeting with the family members who were slaughtered by her negligence. Shouldn't she go to the table and discuss what happened and give those families closure?

Unlike Bush she coward when one shoe was thrown. Bush had a smile on his face and stepped to the side. Either way, throwing objects, even at politicians we despise isn't appropriate. Neither is it appropriate for the justice department to pick and choose which laws of the land it will enforce.

The left wing that runs this country want civility, yet rarely have I seen it come from them. The people that lean right have been more civil, but, have room to improve.

Either way, this is what we voted for the past few decades. Is there any surprise with the outcome? Incompetent voters electing incompetent leaders=$17 Trillion of debt and $90 Trillion of unfunded liabilities. While pointing the finger at everyone else for the problem.

Stop pointing fingers and start explaining how the problem will be resolved without stripping US citizens of their rights and freedoms.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 3:08 p.m.

intervention,

You're really getting stuck on this "assault" thing aren't you, as if she's suffered some terrible event and she's a victim of some heinous act.

Someone threw a shoe at her, with the most dangerous injury that could have occurred is a minor bruise. But keeping using the "assault" term so we'll all be worried for her well being.

And FYI, the story is about her "assault" at an event which samhill is referring to, so yes, its part of the story.

But I know you'd like forever our focus to remain on this vicious "assault"

Tell us, were you so concerned about the "assault" on bush when someone threw a shoe at him? I think we know the answer to that don't we?

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    April 11, 2014 3:32 p.m.

@ JimInSLC, Worf,

This is sad and scary:

1.- You don't like Hillary Clinton
    2.- Somebody attack Hillary Clinton
    3.- The victim is Hillary Clinton
    4.- Because of your dislike for Hillary Clinton you create an imaginary plot in your heads in which the victim is behind the attack.
    5.- The plot you created in your head becomes your reality.
    6.- Now, You dislike Hillary Clinton more than ever for organizing the attack against herself.

I would laugh but you vote.

• David Centerville, UT
    April 11, 2014 3:47 p.m.

GaryO,

"No. . . At the end of the day, she's a much better American than anyone associated with the Tea Party."

Your comments have fallen into the realm of ignorable.

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    April 11, 2014 4:13 p.m.

The lady that threw the shoe at Sec. Hillary Clinton was arrested and is subject to criminal action. If my memory serves me correctly, Pres. George W. Bush asked for clemency for the shoe thrower who attempted to pelt him on a trip to the Middle East.

Neither victim was actually hit. Which was the more forgiving person?

If Hillary had arranged the attack, it would have been more effective as Public Relations if she had immediately called out "No harm done! I don't want to press charges. Just take her outside and let her go in peace."

• intervention slc, UT
    April 11, 2014 4:23 p.m.

@chris
    yes, it was wrong when it happened to Clinton and it was wrong when it happened to Bush . I know everything comes down to petty politics for some but for the rest of us we understand wrong is wrong regardless of the target and comments that are in poor taste are in poor taste regardless of the target.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    April 11, 2014 4:34 p.m.

baccus,

I sure hope Hillary can overcome this unbelievable emotional and physical trauma of some lady throwing a shoe at her. She is truly a brave victim. I don't know how Hillary even gets out of bed after suffering such a violent attack that possibly could have given her a small scrape. The whole nation should really start sending best wishes cards to her in the hospital.

I don't remember such concern for Bush when a shoe was thrown at him. But I'm sure you were equally concerned about him being the victim in that one right? I'm sure since he was a victim you withheld all critic of Bush for a while during his healing process from that vicious assault right?

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    April 11, 2014 6:03 p.m.

@ Chris B.
    The truth my friend is that I'm not concerned at all for Hillary. What I find concerning is the vicarious joy and morbid attitude that some people seem to get out of this incident.

I think "Intervention" said it best: "At best it shows a lack of appropriate social graces."

In my opinion there is no comparison between the attack on Bush and Mrs. Clinton. President Bush was the leader of an invading force in a foreign country. As a result of "his" war thousands of people died. A citizen of the invaded country used the only recourse he had to demonstrate against the person who in his mind was the criminal responsible for the suffering of his people.

Mrs. Clinton is delivering a speech in the United States of America in a very normal and urban setting. This action doesn't speak of Mrs. Clinton. This action speaks of the frustration and emotional outcomes of those who feel threatened by what she represents, equality and social justice doesn't seat well with some.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 11, 2014 7:52 p.m.

Hillary made a fool of our country by stating she was under fire in Bosnia.

It would be foolish not to question this shoe incident.

No matter how many times a politician cries wolf, there will be those who will never learn, and believe.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    April 12, 2014 12:31 a.m.

worf,

Whats wrong with lying about taking fire in Bosnia? It made for a better story. At least until her lie was discovered.

And to think after taking fire in Bosnia some people are now worried she is a victim of some terrible crime because someone tossed a shoe at her?

LOL. Can't say I feel sorry for her.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    April 12, 2014 12:36 a.m.

Baccus,

I think your dislike of Bush is clouding your ability to think clearly. Take a deep breath and realize that Hillary is not a victim. She was not assaulted. No one owes her an apology and criticism she receives shouldn't go away because someone tossed a shoe in her direction.

After all, she's taken fire in Bosnia for the sake of our country. But maybe this shoe took her back to those harrowing moments huh?

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    April 12, 2014 1:10 a.m.

This incident will likely garner sympathy for Hillary. And my dislike for her may cause some here to support her further, but those people have either forgotten or are ignorant of the role Hillary played in Benghazi and Syria. She was incompetent as Sec. of State and she will be incompetent as president. But I don't think that she will be elected, the economy will soon be collapsing, this year or next, they cannot prop it up much longer, hopefully peoples eyes will be open to the truth of what has been going on.

For those thinking that my suggesting it may have been staged, and feeling more sympathetic toward Hillary, ponder how you will feel when you find out that it was staged.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    April 12, 2014 5:41 a.m.

I am amazed at all the haters and how quickly they came up with a conspiracy. These same people made excuses for Sarah Palin quitting Alaska and blaming Obama for all of Bush's failures. These same haters will scream and cry when Hilary is voted into office as the first woman President of the United States of America.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    April 12, 2014 6:32 a.m.

Dang I missed all the fun. I wish I could have been there. Matter of fact I wished I could have thrown one also. But then again why would I have been anywhere to hear Bengazi Betty.. But at this point what does it matter?

• Itsjstmeagain Merritt Island, Fl
    April 12, 2014 7:59 a.m.

W was a bit slower when he was grazed by a shoe in Iraq or Afghanistan. Clinton's reflexes are better.

I agree with the majority of writers, this is not how America should act. This was planned if she had sandals on and an assault. Do the Koch brothers make footwear too? Please give me the brand I can avoid, like cutting up my gas card.

Typical Right wing stuff: if you can't beat her with logic and compassion, then physically hurt her.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    April 12, 2014 1:21 p.m.

@LOU Montana--what does George Bush, or Sarah Palin have to with Hillary? Doesn't have anything to do with Benghazi, or making up things like being shot at.

Many men have died for our freedom to question political leaders. If people did it more, we wouldn't have a national debt equal to $700,000 for every second of a year, or have seventy percent of our people being fed by government.

Only those with low expectations would vote Hillary. What has she done?