U.S. & World

'Like making a cake': UK scientists growing noses, ears, blood vessels

Comments

• ThornBirds St.George, Utah
    April 8, 2014 11:34 a.m.

Thrilled to think of all of those who's lives will change with the fantastic work of stem cell research!
    Those who were fearful and unsure, will, again, be able to enjoy life!

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    April 8, 2014 11:41 a.m.

"When are we going to use this?" The old high school student mantra kept repeating in my head while I read this article. Math and science have the power to improve people's lives. It is wonderful to see this program growing momentum. I hope it succeeds.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    April 8, 2014 4:16 p.m.

Article quote: "Later, the nose was implanted into the man's forearm so that skin would grow to cover it."

Even though my wife (taking nursing classes) told me about man-made organs being developed in labs via printers that spray human tissue, etc, that sentence above is super freaky. I think it's great that they can do it but what an odd experience that must be to temporarily have a nose growing on your forearm. I mean, that is LITERALLY like something from an old 1950's horror movie.

Miracles: the triumph of a higher physical law over a lower physical law.

Cool!

• USA Salt Lake City, UT
    April 8, 2014 6:14 p.m.

The cloned nose reminds me too much of Woody Allen's movie "Sleeper."

• fourfunsons Calgary, 00
    April 8, 2014 8:21 p.m.

My sons has had diabetes since he was 6 and could sure use a new pancreas. Any lab work being done on them?

• UT Brit London, England
    April 9, 2014 1:08 a.m.

@ a guy with a brain

They have been stitching things onto people like that for a long time. Severed hands have sometimes been stitched to the body to keep it alive. I know they have been doing things like this since at least WW1.

• Eliot Genola, UT
    April 9, 2014 8:37 a.m.

Stem cell research related to diabetes is being done with some success. Here scientists concentrate on using stem cells to produce beta cells which are responsible for generating insulin in the pancreas. Type I diabetes arises when beta cells are destroyed by the immune system while the remainder of the pancreas remains intact. So for diabetics it doesn't make sense to replace the whole pancreas, just the part of it that makes insulin. While beta cells can be produced from stem cells, one obstacle is getting the immune system to stop destroying the newly generated beta cells after they have been transplanted into the pancreas.

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    April 9, 2014 9:40 a.m.

So if this technology is like baking a cake should Dr's be able to discriminate based on their religious views who does and does not receive medical treatment if the patients' are in a same sex marriage? The answer obviously is no and the same goes for actual cakes. Period.