U.S. & World

Was Noah's Ark round? Tablet in British Museum contains building instructions

Comments

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 11:40 a.m.

I've always suspected that the inundation of the black sea basin by the rising seas at the end of the last ice age would have been enough to create stories that would have resonated as myths across centuries.

• Torrey Ellis Kaysville, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 11:49 a.m.

Ether 6:7
    And it came to pass that when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them, their vessels being tight like unto a dish, and also they were tight like unto the ark of Noah; therefore when they were encompassed about by many waters they did cry unto the Lord, and he did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters.

• nonceleb Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 12:48 p.m.

A much better question - was Noah's ark?

• gmlewis Houston, TX
    Jan. 24, 2014 1:35 p.m.

Matthew 24:37-39
    "But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be."

Jesus testified that there was a flood, an ark, and a prophet named Noe (Noah). I trust He knew what he was talking about. I doubt He got His information from another religion or culture.

• FastestFalcon Provo, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 2:19 p.m.

I love how the atheists think that a Mesopotamian story about the Flood somehow disproves the biblical account. If you ask me, it corroborates it.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 2:29 p.m.

Clearly all these cultures knew about the flood because it was a true event that actually happened and the account was handed down through generations in different forms. In fact, every civilization on earth has a flood "myth." That is clear evidence that it actually happened and the story has been passed down throughout pre-history and history.

I agree with fastestfalcon that this is further proof that corroborates the story of Noah in the Bible. The account in the Bible was given to Moses by god that it might be written and passed down to the Isrealites.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Jan. 24, 2014 5:44 p.m.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Jan. 25, 2014 2:27 a.m.

Polynesians have flood legends. There is a story from Rapa Iti which says the warriors climbed up into the sky and captured the rainbow god. When the rainbow god got away he broke open the sky and that caused a flood. The Tongans have an idiom that says, "Don't point at the rainbow." Presumably, the rainbow will think that someone intends to capture him again.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Jan. 25, 2014 2:35 a.m.

@Ernest T. Bass:
    "What's really cool is that the human genome project, along with DNA studies on literally every living species show that all living animals came from singles parents about 4,000, essentially proving Noah's flood happened.:

I think that you should go check your sources on that. I think you are off by 50,000 years or so.

• timpClimber Provo, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 9:59 a.m.

The Tarahamara Indians in N. Mexico have similar creation and flood stories that shocked the early Catholic Priests when they heard them.

• MiP Iowa City, IA
    Jan. 25, 2014 10:09 a.m.

If the engineers find this round ark concept works, then how 'bout Princess or Norwegian build a cruise ship that is also that shape, has zoo animals, and sails to cool biblical sites?

Just a thought.

• Ghost Writer GILBERT, AZ
    Jan. 25, 2014 11:04 a.m.

The flood legend is an archetype which can be found in cultures throughout the world. If one studies mythology, it is fascinating to see many common themes appear in the myths and religions of cultures from virtually every corner of the globe, i.e. first man, first woman, expulsion from paradise, war in heaven, virgin birth, good son overcoming evil son and saving mankind, evil son being cast out of heaven, etc. etc. etc. Read Joseph Campbell's The Hero with a 1000 Faces.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 11:57 a.m.

Just goes to show how mythology persists from one generation to the next. An interesting story, but still a myth.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 12:19 p.m.

Fossil marine life is found on the African continent and the American continent and throughout the world's land masses. It used to be a basic of Geology that there was a great universal flood. Since then the Theory of Gradualism insisted that things occurred gradually and not cataclysmically; if anyone suggested cataclysms thereafter it was rejected as not fitting in with this key article of faith of geological academia.

The movie Noah, according to the Imdb site, will be released on March 28 of this year. Looking forward to seeing how the subject is handled.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 1:09 p.m.

The safest conclusion an unbeliever can ever make about the Book of Mormon is that it's simply possible.

* To suggest it's a myth because the same story exists in one land and another is unfounded. As the account was of a planet-wide event, the myth conclusion is based on prejudice instead of reason.

* To suggest it's a myth because of geological observations is also unfounded. Drawing conclusions about what you haven't observed based on what you have is also based on prejudice instead of reason.
    (See "What is Truth?, by Dieter F. Uchtdorf)

1) It stands as evidence which corroborates the records we now call scripture.
    2) Even more significantly... it corroborates the divinity of the Book of Mormon.

The Book of Mormon was more than a compiled record. It is a unique record because of it's divine delivery by an angel of God. Surely when ancient records corroborate it's contents, the suggestion of a "myth" is absurd. Disbelieve all you want, but those who are wise will admit the possibility. Those who thirst for truth will surely find it. How? By reading it! Pretty radical, this "reading" concept. ;)

• LDS Aerospace Engineer Farmington, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 3:25 p.m.

Of course it was round.

The must efficient use of space and materials has always based on spheres and circles.

From an engineering stand point,
    It should really have been called Noah's "Arc".

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 4:37 p.m.

@Cats
    "Clearly all these cultures knew about the flood because it was a true event that actually happened"

Not if it were as described in the Bible, a global flood that wiped everything out except for the people in the Ark. You can't document an event if you're dead.

@Ernest T. Bass
    "What's really cool is that the human genome project, along with DNA studies on literally every living species show that all living animals came from singles parents about 4,000"

That's not true at all.

@Gildas
    " if anyone suggested cataclysms thereafter it was rejected as not fitting in with this key article of faith of geological academia."

Because a global flood is meteorologically impossible.

• Ghost Writer GILBERT, AZ
    Jan. 25, 2014 7:12 p.m.

Ranchhand,
    There are two ways to look at archetypes in literature -- through a believing or an unbelieving lens. For me, these recurring themes confirm my inner conviction that there are central universal truths that are present in all cultures.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 7:16 p.m.

I know it. I Live it. I Love it wrote:

"The Book of Mormon was more than a compiled record. It is a unique record because of it's divine delivery by an angel of God. Surely when ancient records corroborate it's contents, the suggestion of a 'myth' is absurd. Disbelieve all you want, but those who are wise will admit the possibility. Those who thirst for truth will surely find it. How? By reading it! Pretty radical, this 'reading' concept."

My disbelief regarding the Book of Mormon is not based on geology or the like. My disbelief is based directly on Moroni's Promise: I followed the instructions for several decades and the book failed the test. The Book of Mormon is not true.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    Jan. 25, 2014 11:23 p.m.

atl134,

Meteorological possibility isn't determined by what we learn about science, but what defines science in the first place. If it is by God, you're wrong. If it is by something else, then you're still wrong. It isn't possible to qualify what you don't know. Not being omniscient means not knowing all meteorological possibilities. As the saying goes, "knowing is knowing that you know nothing".

Acknowledging this principle isn't just a matter of humility, it's the most fundamental ground we stand on as we exercise our faith in the potential of ourselves to learn what is learn-able.

The Scientist,

Interesting. But as your own experiences don't invalidate what others have learned and experienced for themselves... to what end do you oppose the church? I might say that you'd be happier returning, and you may reject that. But happiness surely isn't found in fighting God, the church, or those of us who remain faithful to it. At the risk of causing offense and injustice in fighting God and being wrong... what are you convinced you will gain by doing so?

• sharrona layton, UT
    Jan. 26, 2014 7:29 a.m.

as in the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.” Matthew 24:37-39.

When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. ‘ All the Nations’ will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. MT 25:31-32.

as there was a Universal flood there will be a universal judgment.

“in the days of Noah,”1 Peter 3:19 By which also he went and preached unto the *Spirits in prison; 1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited “in the days of Noah,”

Spirits is only used of human beings when qualifying terms are added, otherwise the term is restricted to supernatural beings. …the unclean *spirits(demonic), and they come out(Luke 4;36)

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Jan. 26, 2014 10:11 a.m.

One thing we all can agree upon: Scientist and the believers can't both be right! I find that fact very challenging in my own search for truth and it is an absolute bedrock principle with me. Both can't be right!

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Jan. 26, 2014 6:14 p.m.

@The Scientist

You belief is not based on the promise. It is based on what you put your faith in.

You have not followed the whole promise as written, You must have a belief and faith in Christ and in God.
    And you must have the faith they will answer your prayer.

Until then you are right, it is no better than praying to a wall.

And the only answer you get is whatever your mind and heart dictates.

Until you let go of the belief that science is only source of truth and light, and exercise faith in Christ, you have not followed the promise in total, and the promise can not be fulfilled.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Jan. 27, 2014 5:19 a.m.

The entire "Noah's Ark" thing should have happened less than 7000 years ago according to Church Doctrine. The earth could not have populated in this short of time along with literally millions of other "facts". It didn't happen. It's a story.

• brokenclay Tempe, AZ
    Jan. 27, 2014 7:09 a.m.

I'm with Scientist on this one. I prayed about the truth of Mormonism in desperation for truth-- but I actually received an answer from God-- and it was no, Mormonism is not true. I've also read the Book of Mormon. Perhaps the greatest argument against the book's authenticity is the book itself. I in fact recommend that people read it for this reason.

Flood stories abound among ancient cultures that are geographically distributed over a wide area, in both hemispheres. Most of these stories share many core details. This suggests that there was indeed some kind of epic flood that happened, because it is reflected in ancient humanity's collective memory.

Whether that flood was truly global and whether there were a pair of every animal species brought into a lifeboat can be debated. But a regional flood caused by a large meteor hitting the ocean, or other scenarios that have been suggested by scientists, are supremely plausible, and the consistent presence of an ark in these stories suggests that the existence of an ark is not off-base, either.

• Particle Man Utah County, UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 9:56 a.m.

This is irrelevant if what's extant of Noah's ark has actually been found, even again and again. Search for it. The site "viewzone," among others, has one such article on this.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Jan. 27, 2014 1:25 p.m.

I wonder why this tablet hasn't been taken up to heaven now that it has been translated - like the golden plates were. Just a thought.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 5:23 p.m.

@Dennis

Actually it is quite possible.

Consider if you five couples and they each have 10 children (to make the math easier).

We now have population of 60, now the children couple and each have 10 children,

Pop: 310 repeat 125 couples 1250 children,
    Pop 1560 625 couple 6250 children.

Now population grows exponentially fast.

3125 couples 31250 children.
    15625 couples 156350 children
    78175 couples 781950 children
    380,975 couples 3,809,950 children
    1,900,575 couples 19,005,750 children
    9,502,875 couples 95,028,750 children

In only 10 generations, about 200 years, you have a living population of well over 100 million.

And in 12 generation, about 250 years, the population could be well over 1 billion!

Yes it is quite possible.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Jan. 27, 2014 5:56 p.m.

I should add,

Even if you increase the length of a generation from 20 years to nearly 40 years, and decrease the number children from 10 to about 5-8 children

In 1000 years and about 22 generations you would have a population between 2 and 11 billion.

A population far greater than what is believed to existed at the time Jesus (about 300 to 400 million and nearly 2000 years after the flood)

Again it is quite possible. And well within any conservative mathematical calculation.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Jan. 28, 2014 5:32 a.m.

@thetruth...look around your neighborhood. How many families have 10 kids each?
    Mortality rates alone would rationally average about 2 children per family surviving to adulthood. It's hard to predict or educate when you use "fantasy" math. It doesn't work.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Jan. 28, 2014 8:57 a.m.

@the truth.
    Your formula for knowing the unknowable is the same that makes for successful fanatics of all kinds: Muslima. Scientologists, JW, etc, etc and it is the self righteous extreme that drive seekers out of the pews.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 1:28 p.m.

From the Book of Mormon we learn about a Jaredite civilization that had it's origin in the Mesopotamian area around 4,000BC.
    They were familiar with building BARGES.
    So, when they were told to build watercraft to cross the great deep to reach North America, the barges were used as prototypes. Except that, by divine design, they had a peak at each end.
    The fact that I had a canoe that had peaked ends that always kept it upright and buoyant because of the trapped air or floatation material in these raised ends, gives function to this form.
    This design of the canoe worked well. It survived Boy Scouts using each peaked end to teeter-totter against each other until one of the scouts lost their balance.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 6:20 p.m.

@Dennis

The math proves the possibilities. and how quickly population grows (it grow exponentially)

And as I pointed out in the my last comment, even by the most conservative math ( and remember we are talking about ancient agrarian societies, not modern urban families) the estimat3ed populations of 4000 thousands years ago (and subsequently today) fall well within the most conservative calculations.

It proves it is not only possible, it is plausible, and probable.

@skeptic
    Personal attacks do not change mathematical truths.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    Jan. 28, 2014 10:03 p.m.

Dennis,

The math is sound.

Not only that, take away birth control and abortion and a society that cares more about careers than families... yeah, it's very possible. Considering the average family size in the 1800's compared to today, you're basing your entire point strictly on "modern day thinking" and applying to to a day and age where no one thought that way.

I would accept you not believing, but fighting logic simply because it has LDS authors doesn't do you any good. There is a reason I'm LDS, and it isn't because I imagined up what I wanted the truth to be. If you want to know, you kneel. If you don't get an answer, you gain nothing by fighting those who say they do. If you do, then enjoy it. But there is no amount of arguments or reason that can negate what I know to be true. I know it. I live it. I love it. Surely, why must you fight it?

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    Jan. 29, 2014 12:01 a.m.

the truth:

Basically, you're saying that if you convince yourself hard enough that you'll have faith in Christ, you'll have faith in Christ. Sounds like self-fulfilling prophecy to me. The nice thing about science is that it's true whether you believe in it or not.

I know it. I Live It. I Love It.:

No one is "fighting" you. They've simply looked at the same information and reached a different conclusion. I've read the Book of Mormon more than once, along the D & C and Pearl of Great Price. Do I think they contain some good stories? Yes. Do I think they're the "word of God"? No more than any other book.

• I know it. I Live it. I Love it. Provo, UT
    Jan. 29, 2014 6:09 p.m.

KJB1,

I never expressed that different opinions automatically meant people were picking a fight.

But taking an objective mathematical fact and arguing against it isn't reason, it's hostility.
    Taking separate accounts of a subjective experience (something impossible to rationally argue against), isn't reason, it's hostility.

I express the following:
    I dream last night about eating a sandwich in a white building with a purple water fountain. Argue all you like, the truth is out of your hands. Now... 5 other unrelated people around the world write different accounts, but of the same dream. Argue all you like, the truth is out of your hands. The correspondence is significant and there is no escaping it. Their existence is a fact. The dream's existence isn't proven, but is corroborated.

Then others express this:
    You didn't dream it.
    It's not possible anyway.

To argue arbitrarily is to argue for the sake of hostility. In English: it's called harassment.

All I'm asking is that people leave us believers alone. That's not unfair or unreasonable.