U.S. & World

Judge spikes photo ID requirement for Pa. voters

Comments

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Jan. 17, 2014 11:51 a.m.

The whole voter ID effort is a Republican ploy to lock out marginalized voters. Let's be honest, shall we? The judge saw through it.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    Jan. 17, 2014 12:45 p.m.

They are ostensibly worried about a problem they freely admit exists in minute quantities if at all. Right...

I think we have a bigger problem with LEADER impersonation than with voter impersonation.

• wYo8 Rock Springs, WY
    Jan. 17, 2014 9:24 p.m.

Let see you have to have two forms of ID to be able to be hired. first visit to a doctor they ask for my drivers license and my insurance card. To drive a car I need a drivers License. Last time I renewed my License I had to show multiple forms of ID to just renew it. I guess the biggest problem for some of these people not having a photo Id is no Job or driver license.

• high school fan Huntington, UT
    Jan. 18, 2014 4:33 a.m.

Who doesn't have any ID? Would all of you who have none please respond and tell us how you get through life. In ID, no job, no cashing check, no beer, no smokes, no airplanes, no airports, no checking into hotels, no credit cards, no bank accounts, no driving.
    Please respond and tell me how you make it through life?

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    Jan. 18, 2014 5:54 a.m.

@wYo8

Many in cities don't drive or even own cars due to congestion, parking expense, and the ready availability of public transport.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    Jan. 18, 2014 9:44 a.m.

@ high school fan

Millions do not have photo ID - particularly the poor. The poor don't have the means to own a car or travel via airplane, two instances in which photo ID is required. For virtually everything else, a photo ID is NOT necessarily required. The poor often don't vote Republican, ergo the clever idea to require photo ID.

I think it speaks loudly when any political group attempts to prevent people from voting. Conservatives swear that their principles are sound and good. I personally believe that some of them are. It's the message that stinks.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Jan. 18, 2014 4:20 p.m.

A voter registration card along with a birth certificate count for identification for an employment I9.

Many people don't drink or smoke, but for those who do, in most states if you look like you are over 30 you don't get asked for ID.

The same ID that gets you a job gets you a bank account. And if you know your banker well, you don't have to have ID to cash a check.

Many people never travel, so boarding a plane or checking into a hotel is not an issue. And for hotel registration, only one person has to provide ID.

For those of you who have a driver's license, when was the last time you actually pulled it out of your wallet?

• Bob A. Bohey Marlborough, MA
    Jan. 18, 2014 7:13 p.m.

It's great to see stories of the Constitution be upheld! This is truly a great nation.