U.S. & World

Putin defends Russian conservative values

Comments

• Contrariuserer mid-state, TN
    Dec. 12, 2013 9:46 a.m.

"Putin said Thursday in his annual state-of-the-nation address that Russia will carry on defending traditional family values."

Yeah, like those "traditional family value" of muzzling the press and ignoring freedom of speech.

If that's what it takes to defend your "traditional family values", then you've got the wrong traditions.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Dec. 12, 2013 11:31 a.m.

Lectures the very man who left his wife for his mistress and has had so many affairs no one is even counting anymore...

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Dec. 12, 2013 11:43 a.m.

Putin has an excuse. He grew up during the Soviet era.
    What's concerns me is that many U.S. citizens sound just like him and wish the same for our country.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Dec. 12, 2013 11:52 a.m.

Hmmm...where else have I heard people railing against "tolerance" and "defending family values"??? I just ... can't ... quite ... put ... my ... finger on it.

Congrats! You've got a friend in Putin.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Dec. 12, 2013 12:37 p.m.

Well, Putin certainly schooled Obama in Syria and has far fewer scandals than Obama's Benghazi, "shovel ready jobs" IRS scams, destroying DOMA, fast and furious, NSA spying and if you like your health insurance, you can keep it. period! If you like scandals, lying and corruption, you have a friend in Obama.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Dec. 12, 2013 12:58 p.m.

Thid,

You need to take another look at Putin's track record (are you seriously defending him?).

By the way, DOMA was the scandal, not its destruction.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 12:58 p.m.

@ OHBU:

Since you can't put your finger on it, then try putting your mind to it. You'll discover you are making an irrelevent comparison in comparing apples and oranges in an non-appropriate context.

But nice try, though. But come back again when you have something more politically substantial.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 1:04 p.m.

It sounds like Putin is a BYU graduate.

The guy could beat Mike Lee for Senator from Utah.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Dec. 12, 2013 2:08 p.m.

Thid

I don't recall the article being about President Obama. The article is talking about Mr. Putin and his conservative views on what he considers to be moral or immoral.

The Liberals in Russia are fighting for more transparency, less corruption, more freedom of press, religion, expression. It is curious how much the Russian Liberals resemble the U.S. Liberals.

On the other hand, those who benefit from the Status Quo try to maintain it by invoking "morality". And actually many people who could be considered victim of the ..system defend it, based on patriotism, moral or religious grounds similar to the Conservatives in the U.S.

May be Walt Disney was right ...is a small world after all. Funny isn't it?

• Mountanman Victor, ID
    Dec. 12, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Baccus. I don't think you are correct in your statement that its liberals in Russia fighting for more freedoms less corruption. I would say Putin is a classic liberal who believes in a powerful central government that obfuscates and dictates personal freedoms and liberties to Russians as he sees fit. Conservatives believe all liberties come from God and we are all endowed by our creator with unalienable rights and morality is defined by God. Every liberal I know believes that all rights come from government and morality is defined by government. I fear for America because we are becoming more like Russia everyday, lead by, guess who?

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 6:02 p.m.

Mountain man wrote:

"Every liberal I know believes that all rights come from government and morality is defined by government."

So, what you're saying is you have never even met a liberal.

• Baccus0902 Leesburg, VA
    Dec. 12, 2013 6:56 p.m.

@ Mountanman
    Liberal
    adjective
    favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
    ( often initial capital letter ) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.
    of, pertaining to, based on, or advocating liberalism, especially the freedom of the individual and governmental guarantees of individual rights and liberties.
    favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, especially as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties.
    favoring or permitting freedom of action, especially with respect to matters of personal belief or expression: a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers."

Mountanman, some conservative people are Atheist or Deist.
    Personally, I consider myself a Christian who believes that God gave us Free Agency, Intelligence and the ability to absorb new knowledge. I also believe that Christ taught us to separate what is secular and what is sacred.""Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's"
    As a Liberal and Christian I also believe that we human beings are all brothers and sisters. As species we wouldn't have been able to evolve and survive independently.

• Mountanman Victor, ID
    Dec. 12, 2013 7:43 p.m.

Baccus. You forgot to mention liberal opposition (generally) to traditional marriage, any and all restrictions on abortion and most all promotions of self reliance in your definition of liberalism. Few if any liberals practice what your definition of them professes. Liberalism creates dependency to government handouts in the name of compassion, which is just another form of slavery. Liberal fiscal policies have bankrupted nations (most of Europe) and cities (Detroit). I can not be a liberal because liberalism conflicts so strongly with the values of my faith. Look, I am not trying to get you to convert to conservatism but I can not separate my faith and my politics without living a lie. But to each their own! No, the values of Karl Marx, Pol Pot, Moa tse Tung and Joseph Stalin mixed in with a little Jesus Christ here and there are not my values.

• Semi-Strong Louisville, KY
    Dec. 12, 2013 8:43 p.m.

To Mr. Putin,

Please stop helping . . .

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 9:15 p.m.

The ability to distinguish politics from religion is a sign of intelligence.

I hope and pray we all continue to distinguish these two domains of our thinking and out lives.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Dec. 13, 2013 6:28 a.m.

" No, the values of Karl Marx, Pol Pot, Moa tse Tung and Joseph Stalin mixed in with a little Jesus Christ here and there are not my values."

Nor do most "liberals" in this country, or even europe associate themselves with this list of character you just listed. Stop playing the silly from the fringes game. Over 60% of "liberals" don't also believe in abortion. There is no black and white chasm here. Most people fall into the larger gray area where they have progressive view points in one area, and more conservative in another.

Dick Chaney is a great example. No one would ever call him a liberal. But because he has a gay daughter, his perspective on the issue is differs from the conservative play book. I know it is easier to see everything as black and white, because it takes less thinking. But the real world doesn't fall into two nice little camps like that.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Dec. 13, 2013 6:32 a.m.

The attempt to separate religion and politics is not possible and remain true to either.

• Contrarius mid-state, TN
    Dec. 13, 2013 8:31 a.m.

@Mountanman --

"I would say Putin is a classic liberal"

Be serious.

How many ACLU members do you think would support muzzling the free press?

How many ACLU members do you think would support the repression of public protest?

Hmmmmm. Maybe the ACLU is actually a conservative organization?? ;-)

" liberal opposition (generally) to traditional marriage"

Liberal do not oppose "traditional marriage". Well, unless by your definition of "traditional" you mean keeping the wife barefoot and pregnant.

Support for same-sex marriage means a EXPANSION of marriage -- not the replacement or destruction of any part of it.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 9:52 a.m.

To I M LDS2 and Contrarius:

I think we can all agree that Putin is neither a classic American liberal or conservative. He seems to have a few elements of each, but is more of some sort of extreme Soviet hybrid.
    Since neither any American conserveratives or liberal want to claim him, that's a pretty fair assumption requiring no further argument on the point.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 10:08 a.m.

@ UtahBlueDevil:

That's the first time I've ever read that the majority of American liberals are against abortion. It appears to most people that an important tenent of the democrat party (the most liberal major party in America) is to allow a nearly unrestricted access to abortion to all women everywhere, with no strings attached. When anyone proposes any kind of reasonable restriction on it, democrats always fight it tooth and nail.

Beyond that, I stand by my previous statement that Putin is neither a classic American-type of lliberal or conservative, but rather a type of Soviet hybrid that no major American political party would ever claim.

• Badgerbadger Murray, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 10:41 a.m.

I wonder what Putin really said, before the interpreter got to it? Does conservative really have a Russian word equivalent? What Putin said was anything but conservative. It was all socialist/communist/progressive. He seems pretty much the hard core Soviet KGB guy still around from the Cold War.

But he is now a Nobel Peace Prize nominee, thanks to Barry. Great work Prez, giving him more credibility to the rest of the world, and of course less credibility to the USA.

• Mexican Ute mexico, 00
    Dec. 13, 2013 11:17 a.m.

Putin is simply a right-wing authoritarian. I would even argue that some Republicans like Lindsey Graham and John McCain are close to Putin politically. But honestly I never thought looking at history seeing that it would be of all nations, a former Communist nation that is lecturing America on morals and values.

Imagine if an American and a Russian died in 1960 and looked at the world today. The Russian would think the Americans won the Cold War, espcially with all the new churches constructed. The American would think the Russians won, with all the new regulations and nativity scenes removed because one atheist threatened to sue...

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    Dec. 13, 2013 11:24 a.m.

"Easy to do Justice - harder to do Right." Many voices in today demand justice for all, regardless. But fewer voice "Right be Done."
    If one researches the U.S take over of Hawaii, one realizes a similar pattern in recent US controlling influence in the Middle East - which we are told is done for 'Our Best Interest' - what ever that best interest is.
    Putin put a stop to Pres Obama's intended military strike in Syria, which the Obama administration perceived as well served justice, but would have been the wrong thing to have do. And Putin's recent remarks concerning values resonates 'right' w/many in this country.

• Badgerbadger Murray, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 12:20 p.m.

Mexican Ute -

From the article, "Putin insisted that foreign-registered companies that operate in Russia and are owned by Russian citizens "

From our left wing president, "Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen." (ie. the US citizens who built the roads and bridges, actually 53% of them built them)

Putin and Barry said the same thing, so how is Putin right-wing and Barry left-wing?

More BO worship crazy blindness.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Dec. 13, 2013 12:29 p.m.

Tators: "Whenever I see 2 grown women or 2 grown men kissing each other in a movie or tv show, it still turns my stomach and I have to look away. It just does not seem natural, no matter how hard I try to be open to the liberal viewpoint... And I know many others who feel the exact same way. Gay relationships are an aboration of nature. Hence, they are only a small single digit percentage of society."

Thank you for exposing your real motivations for opposing it. In reality, there is no constitutional reason to discriminate against people just because a sizable portion of the population thinks it's "icky." I hate eating fish, and I know a lot of other people the same, should I try to make it illegal?

As to your nature argument, they are actually perfectly natural. A small proportion of numerous species of animals also practice homosexuality. To not have any homosexuality would actually be an aberration. Having red hair is also a small proportion of the population, does that mean it's wrong?

My examples are ridiculous, I'm aware. But they correctly analogize how many people see your argument.

• Schnee Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:52 a.m.

@Tators
    "If the majority of liberals (democrats) actually oppose abortion, why don't literally any democrat politicians anywhere take that stance?"

Senator Harry Reid. Senator Bob Casey. The difference between many liberals who oppose abortion and conservatives who oppose abortion is that they consider it a personal decision (i.e. the "I wouldn't get one but I'm not going to stop others from getting one" position). Not that they would literally get one themselves because they're men but you know what I mean.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 10:54 a.m.

@Badgerbadger
    "I wonder what Putin really said, before the interpreter got to it? Does conservative really have a Russian word equivalent? What Putin said was anything but conservative. It was all socialist/communist/progressive.
    "

Remember, the biggest controversy in Russia right now is over that anti-gay bill. Social issues like that are where Russia falls in line with the right-wing conservatives in the US. Those positions aren't progressive at all.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Dec. 14, 2013 8:52 p.m.

"If the majority of liberals (democrats) actually oppose abortion, why don't literally any democrat politicians anywhere take that stance? Somehow, what you are said doesn't make sense."

What doesn't make sense is when people cannot see the difference between an individual being opposed to abortion, but in favor of allowing others to be free to make their own choices about many moral issues on which we all have trouble agreeing.

Just because I believe a certain way does not mean I have to support platforms that enforce my beliefs on everybody else contrary to their beliefs.