Utes live blog: USC salting the game away, driving down the field

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 2:13 p.m.

Go utes!
    Onward and upward.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 2:16 p.m.

I am warming up to the idea of playing byu in our bowl game. What better way to end the season by setting a new NCAA record with 5 wins over the same team in 4 years?

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 2:21 p.m.

USC won't reach 300 total yards today.

• PG #1 FAN Lindon, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 2:41 p.m.

Wish the game was on TV, unlike every BYU game.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 2:43 p.m.

TOs...utes can't afford them. Wilson needs to take some heat off those screen passes...poor throw.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 2:45 p.m.

Put Shultz in already, this is ridiculous.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 2:46 p.m.

With a turnover machine like Wilson quarterbacking the Utes, Utah has very little chance of even qualifying for a bowl.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 26, 2013 2:48 p.m.

@Lifelong Ute
    And the Utes offense won't get to 200 yds, Mark that down.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 3:05 p.m.

Nice dream, Chris B. Get Utah Bowl eligible first. That may not happen.

• SamoanYfan WEST JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 3:15 p.m.

I guarantee the Utes won't lose this game. USC has all their backups in and the Utes will not lose...mark it down. I coudn't be more proud of them and their BCS affiliation.

Onward and upward

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 3:16 p.m.

GO TROJANS

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 3:23 p.m.

Chris B,

In order to play BYU in the Kraft Hunger Bowl, the Utes must be bowl eligible. One step at a time...

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 3:30 p.m.

USC fans are Chris B to the 10th degree. Let's go Utah! if you are in the Pac, show us you deserve to be there. Stop embarrassing the state!

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 3:34 p.m.

Utah lucky to be in this one with all the TOs. Why was Utah throwing the ball with 23 seconds left in the half. Not a good call from DE.

• Kiboo South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 26, 2013 3:38 p.m.

Why do I suspect that our friend Chris B is going to be conspicuously absent from here on out. And yes, Utah IS play USC's 3rd string. Way to represent Utes.

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    Oct. 26, 2013 3:39 p.m.

Chris your own words will huant you. Your right USC is playing their 2 and 3 stringers as well as their walk-ons. WoW will it be embarasssing to to lose to USC with all of those non 1 stringers
    Sure enjoyed watching the game last night but have to listen here and there to this game on the radio

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 3:42 p.m.

It's looking like our season is one game - beating Stafford!

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 3:45 p.m.

This is getting embarrassing. Please represent the state better than this. Nice 3 pt gift to end the half. Who is calling these plays? Let's bring a guy off the bench and have him throw downfield with 20 seconds left. Nice call. No tshirts being made on this one...

• Utah rules Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 4:00 p.m.

I think we should just all be quiet today as we are just embarrassing ourselves on this blog. The Utes are clearly way in over their heads if we can't beat the third string of USC.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Oct. 26, 2013 4:07 p.m.

This is really embarrassing for the Utes. With only 46 scholarship players, USC only has the bare minimum necessary to have a two-deep of all scholarship players, even using walkons as backups for kicker and punter.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 26, 2013 4:08 p.m.

This game makes Utah State look good.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 4:20 p.m.

How did BYU lose to this ute team? Just shows that on any given Saturday...

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Oct. 26, 2013 4:23 p.m.

The U must have left it all on the field against Stanford - there's nothing left in the tank, emotionally or physically. When I first heard Lou Holtz explain that Stanford's loss to the U was because the Stanford scholars had midterms that week I laughed. It's no laughing matter now - I guess that explains it!

After the Stanford game I honestly thought we might finish with eight wins, but six wins is in doubt at this point with the WSU game on the road.

We'll be lucky to beat our new arch rival, CU. For Thanksgiving, all of can be grateful that the CU game is at home.

Why is our team not progressing as we go through the season? Coaching?

Chris B - how do you feel about Wilson v. Hill now as the QB of the future? We're as shallow at QB this year as ever.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 4:41 p.m.

Total meltdown by he utes. Their season is over as far as a bowl game is considered. BYU is clearly the best team in the state no matter how Chris spins it.

• kevo Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 4:43 p.m.

I guess it's official: the Utes only care about beating BYU. Can't work hard enough to win on the road outside of Utah.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 26, 2013 4:43 p.m.

Its ironic that Ute fans are Stanford fans today in the name of the BCS

• Utah rules Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 4:45 p.m.

I for one wish that Chris B, Navel Vet, etc. would just go away and allow these blogs to be constructive. No wonder BYU fans hate us so much.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Oct. 26, 2013 4:52 p.m.

Wow... Wilson has how many pics/turnovers this game? He has to be leading the country in interceptions.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Oct. 26, 2013 4:57 p.m.

I'm going to put my Utah sweatshirt away until women's gymnastics season starts...

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Oct. 26, 2013 5:00 p.m.

I appreciate Coach Whitt's steady demeanor, but can he inspire his team? C'mon man!

• Straitpath PROVO, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 5:05 p.m.

I like Whittingham. I like the Ute team. The Ute fans are the problem. I speak as a BYU fan hit in the head by a snowball thrown by a utah fan.

• UteExpat New York, NY
    Oct. 26, 2013 5:12 p.m.

79 Ute and others, please do your research before spouting the Stanford midterms excuse. Stanford is on the quarter system. They had just started class about 2 weeks prior to the Utah game. Just because Lou Holtz said it doesn't make it true. Please Google "Stanford academic calendar."

• Unreconstructed Reb Chantilly, VA
    Oct. 26, 2013 5:14 p.m.

"USC won't reach 300 total yards today."

They won't need to.

• TamaBYU Provo, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 5:14 p.m.

As a Y fan I still respect the Utes for they beat my team. I was hoping they would beat SC today but oh well. The bowl eligibility is blown, but the season ain't over. Lets get ready for a strong finish Utes. Let's beat the SunDevils.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 5:17 p.m.

@lifelong ute

You were right, usc did not reach 300 total yards. Of course Utah barely got 200 total yards....

• Krispy Zadoosh Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 5:17 p.m.

Loving my PAC 12 membership.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 5:18 p.m.

The loss on the field is embarrassing enough, but Utah fans are embarrassing the team off the field. Be gracious winners and losers.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 5:27 p.m.

@4601

That is all of the time, nothing unique about today.

• SamoanYfan WEST JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 5:35 p.m.

Couldn't be more proud of the Utes and their defense. Holding them to only one touchdown was a valiant effort.

So grateful for the opportunity to play in the elite PAC-12.

On word and up word

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 26, 2013 5:56 p.m.

I was really proud of utah today.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 6:15 p.m.

SamoanYfan,

And what "word" would that be?

• Ute buster Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 6:34 p.m.

Everything is right in the football world. The teams are heading in the directions we all thought they would 9 weeks ago.

I love seeing by Cougars on national tv every week. I tried to find the Utah game on a nationally recognized network but couldn't. I guess IS the face of college football in Utah.

Lee Corso commented this morning that Utah cannot win outside of Utah. I guess he knows his stuff.

• SamoanYfan WEST JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 6:39 p.m.

@Eddie

Sorry I meant:

Onward and Upward. Voice to text error. Either way I couldn't more proud of the way the Utes played today.

Even though they lost they showed resiliency on defense and it shows they can play with anybody in the country.

So proud to have someone represent the state of Utah in the most revered and beloved BCS system.

Again...Onward and Upward

• Mr. Caveman Omaha, NE
    Oct. 26, 2013 7:05 p.m.

Downward and spiraling.

Watching BYU play hoping they'll lose just made them catch the Boise turnover handouts to the other team. They sure were tasty to the other team!

"Half of usc's team is injured. Their offense is bad with first stringers. We won't lose to their backups."

Utah got annihilated to another planet by a team with backups on NCAA sanctions. THAT is something to write down.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Oct. 26, 2013 7:55 p.m.

@Ute Expat:

The question is not whether I did my research or whether Stanford is on the quarter or semester system. My comment accurately reported what Dr. Holtz said several times on Saturday and again on Monday following the Stanford game.

The question is what explains how Utah can beat Stanford one week, lose to Arizona the next week because they lacked emotion according to Utah's head coach, and lost to a beleaguered Trojan team today?

Please Google: Get a clue!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Oct. 26, 2013 10:04 p.m.

@ Krispy Zadoosh - Salt Lake, UT - "Loving my PAC 12 membership."

Hey, YOU like being the doormat of the Pac-12?, knock yourself out, pal......

As for the big brother down south, it's a GREAT time to be a Cougar!

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    Oct. 26, 2013 10:25 p.m.

With the Ute quarterback injured, the title of this article should've been: "USC adding salt to injury".

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    Oct. 26, 2013 10:36 p.m.

Eddie. Your question to SamoanYFan. "And what "word" would that be?". "High Five" bro.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 26, 2013 10:42 p.m.

I personally have really enjoyed the last couple of weeks of instate college football.

• UteExpat New York, NY
    Oct. 28, 2013 8:25 a.m.

79Ute: So anything Lou Holtz says is gospel truth? No need to verify? My only point was that you and others keep repeating something that is completely false and can be verified in about 15 seconds with a modicum of research, even for someone without any knowledge of Stanford academics. And you should take Lou Holtz's comments with a big grain of salt: he hasn't exactly been a Utah homer over the years (his comments re: the Sugar Bowl win come to mind--you can Google that too).

In my view, Utah put it all together for the Stanford game, something they have only managed to do once this year, despite showing flashes of potential against OSU and UCLA. But Lee Corso may have a point...