Utah football live blog: Arizona takes care of Utah 35-24 in Tucson

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 7:44 p.m.

Every game matters in the Pac 12.

Stanford beat UCLA, which makes us look even better, and more importantly puts us just 1 game back in Pac 12 South lead.

I said we'd be in the hunt until the very end. And we will be

Utah 40
    Arizona 24

Go Utes!
    Onward and Upward

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 7:47 p.m.

Considering we nearly beat UCLA with 6 picks, we beat Stanford, I just don't see any way we lose this game. Wilson would have to throw 8 picks for Utah to lose.

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 7:51 p.m.

Arizona is extremely one dimensional. It's painful watching their QB try to throw the ball. He looks like Riley Nelson in disguise. Our defensive specialty is stopping the run. Utah wins game guaranteed.

It's a great time to be a Pac 12 proud Ute

• Glfklee Santa Fe, NM
    Oct. 19, 2013 8:00 p.m.

Utah 31
    AZ 21

One game at a time. Best wishes to Utah from a Cougar fan.

• Big 12 Call Yet? Ogden, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 8:16 p.m.

My mom could run through that Arizona defense.

All I can say is we need to make sure we keep Erickson.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 8:20 p.m.

Bad defensive sequence set up by a punt coverage miscue. That has to drive Whit crazy.

• CG Orem, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 8:28 p.m.

Sometimes, at the height of our revelries, when our joy is at it's zenith, when all is most right with the world, the most unthinkable disasters descend upon us.

BYU beats an undefeated BCS team on the road; Utah loses to a mediocre 3-2 BCS team.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 8:37 p.m.

CG, what game are you talking about? Houston isn't a BCS team. They are in the American Conference.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 8:53 p.m.

I'm not worried.

Arizona does NOT have a defense.

We are the superior team and will win this game.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 8:53 p.m.

Bad play by Wilson. Still young. With maturity comes knowing that escaping a sack and throwing the ball away is actually a good play.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 8:54 p.m.

StGSLC:
    The AAC is a BCS conference with an automatic BCS bowl berth. Houston is in the AAC.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 9:04 p.m.

StGSLC:
    I agree, both Taysom hill and Travis Wilson need to learn it's better to throw the ball away or take a sack than try and force things. They're sophomores so as much as it drives us crazy it's to be expected. Their upside makes up for it most times though.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 9:05 p.m.

Cougsndawgs, you may wanna double-check that, my friend. The BCS schedule this season is as follows:

Rose: PAC-12 vs. B1G
    Fiesta: Big XII vs. At Large
    Sugar: SEC vs. At Large
    Orange: ACC vs. At Large
    BCS Championship: BCS #1 vs. BCS #2

AAC is slated for the Compass, Russell Athletic, Belk, Pinstripe, and Beef O'Brady's Bowls.

• Ted H. Midvale, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 9:11 p.m.

STtGtoSLC, for your own sake, stop. The American is guaranteed a BCS bowl, they just don't have a contract with a specific BCS bowl. As you say, you may wanna double check that my friend. Actually, you should have triple checked it since you're incorrectly telling other people they're wrong. You are. Too bad for your sake there isn't a delete comment button huh?

• Pac 12 Pride Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 9:14 p.m.

Rough start, but we'll come back. Our defense will will make adjustments and I think Erickson will dial up some good plays for Wilson to get him more comfortable. Utah 35 Arizona 30

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    Oct. 19, 2013 9:16 p.m.

I watched the game today they announced that the conference Houston is in has an automatic bid to a BCS game it's true

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 9:20 p.m.

Wilson seems injured and/or out of gas tonight. This might be a good time to put in Shulz.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Oct. 19, 2013 9:22 p.m.

The AAC is the old Big East and they are an automatic BCS qualifier for one more year. Utah fans need to look beyond SLC and educate themselves about college FB.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 9:29 p.m.

I apologize, I had heard rumored that the Big East (and whatever would be coming of the Big East) would lose its automatic qualifying status for the 2013-14 season. Pile it on me, though, it's funny to see a tantrum thrown!

Anyway, tough to see Wilson still having issues with his hand. I think I saw it happen sometime late in the BYU game, and it's been obvious something wasn't right and was getting worse with it. Good to see Poole get back in the game, though. I really can't stand seeing players tackle or block with their heads down. Hopefully Bondurant can come back for Arizona as well, but stop trying to make plays the way he did. Using the helmet as a weapon is not football.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 9:35 p.m.

Let's not confuse StGtoSLC with facts. The truth ruins his attempt at a BYU jab. Yes, Houston was an undefeated team in a BCS conference. Stanford handled UCLA. Utah is struggling with a middle of the road Arizona in their first game further than 50 miles away from SLC this season.

And to further laugh at a comment Chris B. made on the BYU blog, No, Utah isn't 1 game out of the championship game in the PAC. UCLA holds the tie breaker over Utah and would have to lose 2 more games while Utah would have to win out (including tonight) to earn the right to get killed twice this year by Oregon. Nice fantasy but there's a better chance of snow in Phoenix in July.

• Pac 12 Pride Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 9:35 p.m.

Fear not! Phillips will redeem himself with a field goal as time expires for the win. We WILLLLLLL win this game.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 9:35 p.m.

Chris,

Make a call here.

The game, the Utes record, their Bowl game.

I want to "Mark it Down"...

Uteology, have you figured out who Kevin Van Noy is. I love the haters.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 9:42 p.m.

Utes know how to beat Stanford at home for a signature win. Is this a signature loss, or re we waiting for Colorado? With Weber the Utes don't make a bowl, that is embarrassing. What do you think, Chris?

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 19, 2013 9:49 p.m.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 10:08 p.m.

Frozen Chosen, FYI I actually just moved to the midwest, and know plenty about CFB.

Schulz's arm is incredible. Very valuable backup to have on the team. Travis is overall a more dynamic player, but Schulz can sling it with the best of em.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 10:13 p.m.

Christine, what "jab" was made at BYU by me? I have no qualms with the Y. I have a lot of friends working and going to school there. I grew up with several of their current and former players, and like seeing them do well. Nice try, though, pal.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Oct. 19, 2013 10:53 p.m.

@ Christopher B - Ogden, UT - "I'm not worried. Arizona does NOT have a defense. We are the superior team and will win this game."

Arizon's ahead, 28-21.

Worried yet, Chris?

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 10:53 p.m.

what network is utah playing on tonight?

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:08 p.m.

People saying that Utah is in the hunt for the PAC 12 south title were too busy "not caring" about BYU's game by posting comments on the BYU game blog instead of watching ASU destroy Washington today during prime time (instead of the late night game that no one is watching like Utah and arizona).

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:15 p.m.

Well bummer. Hope Wilson's alright. We'll need him next week. The offense lacks explosiveness without him.

• Krispy Zadoosh Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:18 p.m.

Another signature game.

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:28 p.m.

Tough break for the Utes no matter how you look at it...

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:34 p.m.

Utes back in character this week...sadly. Sporadic defense let Carey showcase his sprinting. As Chris B opened these comments, "every game counts in the PAC-12" and this is one that we needed in W column. The Stanford upset was great, but we've got to win the games against teams like Arizona, USC (in their current condition), WSU, and CU to get out of the PAC-12 basement.

It's reasonable that Utah could finish the next five games 3-2 for a 7-5 season. No excuse for not being bowl eligible. Need to get bowl eligible for the extra practice sessions to get ready for next year.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:38 p.m.

The BYU win was big and the Stanford win was huge. But the losses have been so tough. The woulda coulda shouldas are in full effect this season.

Oregon State has turned out to be a really solid team. That overtime loss when the ball goes right through Walker's hands was the narrowest defeat. Then the UCLA game saw Wilson sick in bed for three days and threw 6 picks (a few of them unlucky). Still, Utah only lost on the last possession when Jake Murphy caught the ball in the endzone with the needed shoe length to force overtime out of bounds. And now we have the Arizona game where Wilson's hand injury was clearly effecting his ability. Even with the pick 6 and Wilson coming out of the game, Utah rallies with Shultz and takes the lead. Automatic Andy Phillips missed his first FG this season and that was huge. When Utah trailed 28-24 with three minutes left, they were forced to go for it around the ten yard line. If it was 28-27, Utah could have kicked a chip shot FG to take the lead. The Utes are good but snake bitten.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:44 p.m.

5 of 18 on 3rd down. One of the biggest issues this team needs to fix. Next 3 games are brutal and could look like this one if there isn't some improvement.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:46 p.m.

Guess we gotta mark this one down.
    Maybe next game Utes, pullin' for ya.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:48 p.m.

Horrible play calling down the stretch. Hard to keep the faith, can't beat any PAC 12 teams on the road. I'm losing my with with Whittingham in each conference road game.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:55 p.m.

I couldn't watch the game but I sure hope wilson is alright. He is very talented.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:57 p.m.

Just a quick comment that as a Ute fan, I also find most of the comment by Chris B rather annoying. Those comments are his/her opinion and not shared y most of the U fans. Arizona is fighting to get to a bowl game and has some very talented players. While I didn't like the outcome, this game scared me for a lot of reasons. Not real surprised we lost.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:58 p.m.

Phillips finally misses a field goal...and it hurts! Great season though. Great kicker and better kid

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 19, 2013 11:58 p.m.

Wow. Just . . . Wow.

I want to gouge my eyeballs out with a spoon.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Oct. 20, 2013 12:19 a.m.

The question is will Utah get bowl eligible. The Stanford victory was huge but every game left is actually still losable. I still think they get to six wins but much past that, I'm not seeing it and I hope they get that six win.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Oct. 20, 2013 12:35 a.m.

Utah reminds me of that seen from "Dumb and Dumber." "Just when I thought you couldn't get anymore stupid, you go and do this and toooootaly redeem yourself!" For the Utes it's "Just when I thought you've turned the corner, you go and do this and totally reveal your true self's!" What a pity! Another year where the Utes fight with Colorado for basement supremacy!

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 20, 2013 12:55 a.m.

@ThomasJefferson

"On a serious note, it is amazing how KW can get his team up to beat certain other teams; as in BYU and Stanford. What it reveals is what Barry Switzer once said and I paraphrase, "you'll beat 2 teams you shouldn't." I think it is all about emotion and not necessarily talent. As a student of the game, I'm really curious about how this plays out for the Utes!"

On a serious note, Utah gets up for every game, especially their nine conference games. This isn't Major League Baseball with 162 games, it's NCAA football with 12 games.

I'm tired of hearing byu fans say Utah gets up for the byu/Utah game and byu doesn't. That is absolutely not true. The game is important to both team and especially byu as all games are like conference games.

By the way, do you really think byu is in the same category as Stanford as far as talent goes? Do a little research and you will see the only team in the PAC-12 that byu has out recruited is WSU. Count your NFL players, you will only need one hand.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 20, 2013 12:57 a.m.

The defense was as horrible as it was good against Stanford. How our front seven got worked by UA was shocking. This was the worst we have played all year long, on offense, defense, and special teams. We better fix it quick since next up @USC.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Oct. 20, 2013 1:27 a.m.

StGtoSLC--- Yes, I remember what you're talking about with Wilson's hand from the BYU game but how could he have played so well in the games since then? Maybe it got reinjured but there's got to be more to it.

• USNGary San Diego, CA
    Oct. 20, 2013 1:55 a.m.

Let the excuses begin

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 20, 2013 9:26 a.m.

StGSLC:
    My battery died last night and I couldn't continue commenting. I hope you didn't feel I was raking you over the coals, I was just clarifying. I also didn't feel that you were grilling me either by saying check the facts, my friend...I it usually has been friendly between you and I, unfortunately some other fans didn't see it that way.

I am shocked that Utah was out physicaled by Arizona. Excluding weber this was probably the weakest defense Utah has faced this year, and missing their best player. I didn't see this coming. Arizona also surprised me with their passing game which was much better than I thought.