Red and White live blog: Utes stun Stanford, upset the No. 5 Cardinal at home, 27-21

Failed 4th and 2 in dying moments determined the game

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 4:04 p.m.

Utah 32
    Stanford 27

Best win for any team in the state in 20 years.

Tonight will long be remembered as the turning point in our time in the PAC 12 from poor team to dominant force in the PAC 12 south

Storming the field in 3 hours...,

Go utes!
    Onward and upward.

We will all remember october 12 2013 as the day we took down top 5 Stanford!

• RR Omaha, NE
    Oct. 12, 2013 4:15 p.m.

Wow. Too easy. The route appears to be on.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Oct. 12, 2013 4:17 p.m.

Ouch!

Hope this isn't how the whole game goes.

• Lifelong Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 4:25 p.m.

We are going to do this! Upset coming.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 4:29 p.m.

Go utes!
    Go Georgia tech!
    Go aggies

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 4:30 p.m.

Told you!

Utes WILL win

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 4:54 p.m.

I thought Stanford was supposed to be physical. Looks like this might be a shootout, which isn't what anyone expected. I completely agree with the announcer in the game. Stanford doesn't blow people out, so all utah has to do is keep fighting until the 4th qtr and they can win this game,

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Travis to Dres!...da da da, da da da.

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 4:57 p.m.

Stanford is going DOWN

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 5:03 p.m.

Get the crow ready for byu fans.

Told you!

• Arizona Reader Gilbert, AZ
    Oct. 12, 2013 5:27 p.m.

Hoping the Utes can pull off the W....and YES, I am a BYU fan. Cougs will take care of Ga Tech for sure. Chris B if they win, this isn't better that Utah beating Alabama, or BYU beating Oklahoma a few years ago.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 5:31 p.m.

And of course, CB is more concerned about BYU fans eating crow...typical. Looking good so far Utah. Remember I'm the only BYU fan that picked this as Utah's upset of the year. I figure at some point Stanford is going to get physical...sure haven't seen it yet.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 5:44 p.m.

Chris b was right.

Chris b was right.

Chris b was right.

Go utes!

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 5:48 p.m.

Utes playing out of their gord, and ute fans counting their chickens before they hatch.

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 5:50 p.m.

BACK in PAC 12 south race!

I love my PAC 12 membership!

• RR Omaha, NE
    Oct. 12, 2013 5:51 p.m.

A 7 point lead means Stanford is going down? You guys don't pay attention to utah football. They haven't kept a lead for a lead for W in the PAC yet this season. Chill out kids.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 6:09 p.m.

Utes are killing Stanford w/ that inside zone read.

to Chris B & Arizona Reader...

Utes beating Bama is, was, & will always be the apex game for college football in Zion.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 6:16 p.m.

This sure doesn't look like the 5th ranked team in the country. It's like the Walking Dead for Stanford right now. All momentum on Utah's side. Keep it going utes.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 6:24 p.m.

Best win in the state in 20 years.

Rushing the field!

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 6:28 p.m.

Cougsndawgs,

Love your jealous digs. Thanks for supporting big time football in the state. I don't see anybody participating under the cougar blog. Solid defense...and how about that offense! #Erickson

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 6:39 p.m.

Ekute,
    I'm cheering for Utah. The fact you take my honest assessment as digs says you're a little insecure. Utah is playing well, but honestly I've watched Stanford 3 times this year...they've never looked this bad. Did you catch any of the Clemson v BC game today? Or Georgia v mizzou (ugh). The best teams in the country have bad games...it's reality, not my personal digs...sheesh.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 6:45 p.m.

Wow, defense held them to less than 250 yards through 3 quarters! That's incredible. Keep it up in the 4th!

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Oct. 12, 2013 6:47 p.m.

Ute fans make it difficult to root for the U, but Stanford will be a great win if they pull it out. (Wish it were on a channel that I get.)

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:00 p.m.

That was a quick review on such an important play. Ball looked like it moved when it touched the ground to me, which would be an incomplete pass. But ok, this is a game! Stay on the pedal, offense! I hope Travis's hurt hand will still let him throw downfield.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:04 p.m.

Ekute:
    I'm not making any digs. I'm making an honest assessment. Good teams have bad games. Did you see Clemson v BC? I've watched Stanford 3 times this year. This is the worst I've seen them play. That's not a dig, that's the truth. I picked UTAH to win this game before the season even started if you recall. I cheer for Utah whenever they aren't laying BYU or USU. I thought I'd made that clear to most people on these boards...apparently not to you.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:11 p.m.

Lol oops. Sorry ekute I wasn't trying to be redundant, I thought I got censored.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:14 p.m.

UTES!!!! WHAT A STAND!!

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:15 p.m.

Great win, Utes.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:17 p.m.

Nice win for the utes.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:17 p.m.

Congrats Utes! Great game. Hopefully Utah can take this momentum on the road and keep it going. Huge win.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:19 p.m.

Both my schools (Utah and Penn State) pull off the upsets in the same minute. What a day!

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:21 p.m.

Huge win by Utah. Stanford was a legit team and Utah made them look bad. Perhaps the Utes do still have a shot at the championship game.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:21 p.m.

Crow for us? How bout keeping humble and finishing the season 10-2? That is the only way you prevent your own crow pie! You can't beat the best of the conference and lose to anyone else... Otherwise, what really was done other than destroying championship hopes for another team? Nothing is correct. I appreciate your humility and not letting this victory get to your heads.

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:22 p.m.

Does this put that silly which team in the state is the best argument to bed permanently?

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:23 p.m.

...and remember who predicted it first ute fans (I mean besides CB who predicts Utah in every game). So excited for Utah right now!

• golsen7 Bonneville, ID
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:23 p.m.

Good job Utah from a cougar fan

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:24 p.m.

Cougsndawgs,

Whatever, Utah out physicaled and out played Stanford. You minimize it by saying Stanford had a bad game.

Way to go Utes! See ya on Sports Center!

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:24 p.m.

We don't always play teams in the top five, but when we do, we prefer to win!

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:25 p.m.

Nice win. Utah played well in all phases. Would've been more dominating statement had we not given up that kick return.

Pac 12 is good top to bottom.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:26 p.m.

My favorite post of the week is below:

Down under

Salt Lake City, UT

It is laughable that utes fans think they have a prayer against Stanford. Utah will be 0-3 in the conference and heading for a 4-8 season.

Who's laughing now? GO UTES

• TanMan_101 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:26 p.m.

@Jake

It's amazing how you Cougars are already taking jabs at us. We beat a top 5 team and your'e still bagging on Utah.
    Have fun looking forward to that Idaho school for girls you got on your schedule. Call me when you happen to beat a national championship contender.

• SUNNY ALL DAY Saint George, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:27 p.m.

Stay humble.

Work harder this upcoming week than you've never worked before.

GO UTES!

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:30 p.m.

There's our Pac 12 signature win, the Utes are constantly improving every game, I expect more big wins this year! Ute fans, enjoy it, this is not about byu. Classy byu fans, Thank You.

Go Utes!

• JustTheTruthMan bountiful, ut
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:44 p.m.

No, the argument is not put to bed permanently... Utah still has to get over the hurdle of never beaten a #1 and never brought home a trophy... once that happens, all the other also ran performances of Alabama and BCS blah blah blah will make a lick of relevance! Until then, today is only a victory against a top 5 team in the 7th week of the season. Oh, and the only other acceptable loss regardless of location of games played is November 16th at Oregon... Bring home a W on that day and perhaps Roses are in yer future... Until then.... today is 1-2 in conference.... Who will beat UCLA? That loss is gonna sting with a loss against Oregon... Cuz 3 games... Nope... No Roses... No conference championship game.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:54 p.m.

@JustTheTruthMan

"No conference championship game."

I wonder what that's like...can you explain it to me? What's it like to not have a conference championship game to play for. What's it like for your season to be over when you lose the first game of your season to a team that is winless since? Oh, and scoreboard.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 7:59 p.m.

Cougsndawgs

Read your posts...thanks for the well wishes. Total Class!!

Well done, Utes...well done, indeed!!

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 8:01 p.m.

JustTheTruthMan,

For what it's worth, "the Alabama and BCS blah blah blah", and the win over Stanford are much more recent than "beaten a #1 and never brought home a trophy". Thanks for continuing to raise the bar, It's looking like the Utes are up to it. Go Utes.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 8:01 p.m.

ThomasJefferson
    Agreed. The lion's share of posts from BYU fans are indeed congratulatory. My thanks to you as well.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 8:05 p.m.

@justtheliesman

Why not let us enjoy our tough victory over the #5 team in the country. We already beat your team, so let us enjoy this hard-fought victory.

Show class, if possible.

• Carson Provo, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 8:13 p.m.

Thanks to the classy Y fans for your kind words. BTW,what was that you were saying Sammyg?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 8:14 p.m.

RR, you must not pay attention to Utah football. Utes have now won 49 consecutive games with a lead at halftime, second best active streak in the country.

• Mark D LAS VEGAS, NV
    Oct. 12, 2013 8:14 p.m.

Great win tonight, Utes, you worked hard for it and you deserve it! A win against a top-5 team sends a statement - especially in conference!

• JustTheTruthMan bountiful, ut
    Oct. 12, 2013 9:28 p.m.

I apologize for the passive-vindictive overtone of my posts today. It overshadowed the ever present congratulatory undertone of my heart. This win today and the 3 quarters of shut out defense of an offense that made WSU look small is amazing! Win out the season and great possibilities abound! California is showing that it won't be one of three teams necessary to knock UCLA out of the picture tonight. However, Stanford, Oregon and USC still remain on their schedule. ASU is one of your 6 victories and would secure the tiebreaker sending you to the championship game for a second chance to beat Stanford or Oregon. Please take care of business and enjoy today's victory! :) Signed, JTTM and Jake2010

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Oct. 12, 2013 9:44 p.m.

Nice win Utah :)

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 12, 2013 10:31 p.m.

Cougsndawgs
    West Point , UT

---------

How do you know? When was the last time you've seen a top 5 team play? I was at the game, Stanford is a legit top 10 team. The only other team that I can see Stanford losing to is Oregon.

Great win!

Go UTES!

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Oct. 13, 2013 12:37 a.m.

Congrats to the entire Ute nation!!! Awesome win had to work so I was unable to watch the game! Way to hold on at the end!!!

Go Cougs!!!

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Oct. 13, 2013 9:26 a.m.

Cougsndawgs- Thanks for the classy posts. Thanks to the other congratulatory cougs.

I am amazed that the dnews censors some of my posts that I think are pretty tame, but they just let the chris Bs keep spewing the same drivel all year long. How about cleaning some of that up?

Great game Utes! I was so excited to see the fight in the team last night. They still believe in themselves.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 13, 2013 11:19 a.m.

I didn't see any of this game as I was at the BYU game but obviously a very nice win for utah. Perhaps this is a sign of things to come?

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Oct. 13, 2013 1:14 p.m.

There is a reason, well probably eleven of them actually, that Stanford looked like the Walking Dead last night.

Orchard--He is the best Ute defender, comparable in value to KVN. The Stanford QB didn't have the time to be on the money because Orchard wanted to give him a nice friendly bear hug. The rest of the D has been solid as well. While it stunk losing all that talent last year, it sure looks like the pieces are in place on the defensive side of things to compete.

Next week's game is on the road against Arizona. This match is the rubber match to see just how good the Utes are. Stanford was a great team, but also a good match up for the Utes. Arizona is a good team, just not as good as the Utes in my opinion. Since its on the road AND the Arizona Defense has the best defender in the league I am expecting the Utes to have to fight for the win even harder. They should be up to it.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 13, 2013 2:32 p.m.

Steven S Jarvis, who's the best defender in the league you claim UA has? If it's Marquis Flowers, I have to disagree with you. He is very good, but nearly every PAC team has a comparable LB; Hayes Pullard at USC, Shaq Thompson at UW, Carl Bradford at ASU, and Shayne Skov and Trent Murphy both from Stanford. But UCLA's Anthony Barr is the best defender in the West, possibly the nation. Yes, I know you're partial to your guy at BYU, who is very good, but Barr is better.