Pac-12 live blog: Wilson throws his sixth interception on final drive to end the game

No. 12 UCLA escapes with a 34-27 win over the Utah Utes

Comments

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 7:52 p.m.

MUSS: Edge Utah
    Bad weather: Edge Utah
    Trick plays: Edge Utah
    Best QB on the field: Edge Utah

These 4 will lead to a Utah win(though not in that order). Utah 30, UCLA 23

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 7:55 p.m.

Things I've said since offseason

1. Utah would beat byu(done)
    2. Utah would beat usu(done)
    3. Utah would go 8-4(well on our way)
    4. Utah/UCLA winner would win Pac 12 South

And for those who say Utah wont win tonight, you are the same people who said Utah wouldnt beat usu and byu. So keep it up!

Go Utes
    Onward and Upward

Utah 27
    UCLA 24

Mark it Down(Dont say I got lucky)

• Pac 12 Pride Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 7:59 p.m.

5 years ago I never thought it would be possible having home and homes with Michigan, Oregon, USC, UCLA, Stanford. Nor did I think we'd be playing #12 and undefeated UCLA at our place on primetime to take a serious step towards the Pac 12 title game. Blackout looks amazing.

Its our night. It's our time. Skiing field goal kicker for the 1 point Utah win!

Phillips will be made royalty tonight, I've got a feeling.

• Utah > usu > byu Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 8:01 p.m.

Tough game against a tough, undefeated opponent. I wouldnt have it any other way. Utah Utes about to show the country that we're a serious player in the Pac 12 Conference of Champions. Whittingham said it would take time, and I think this is the year that UTAH ARRIVES!

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 8:08 p.m.

UCLA wins despite "blackout". always a gimmick with kyle. TD with 2 minutes gone.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 8:13 p.m.

7-0, ken starts weeping...

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 8:14 p.m.

going to be a long night for chris b. mark it down

Oct. 3, 2013 8:39 p.m.

Good drive, Utes.

One may be an alumnus from the University of Utah, but that doesn't make them a Ute. Claiming to be such while trying to trash the team is pathetic.

Oct. 3, 2013 8:45 p.m.

Passing the ball is only a "gimmick" for a team that can't do it. Hundreds of other college teams can.

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 8:45 p.m.

Max and ute alumni,

And you were saying?

Travis Wilson making ucla secondary look like a byU secondary.
    Like I said....

Utes on the way to a win!

Go utes!

• Pac 12 South Champs 2013? Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 8:46 p.m.

Utah 14
    Ucla 7

Going to be an all night party tonight!

• Pac 12 Pride Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 8:49 p.m.

Attention PAC 12:

We are the university of Utah. Get used to losing.

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 8:51 p.m.

I believe in Travis Wilson!

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 8:52 p.m.

Erickson and Johnson offense...Whittingham and Hill defense...Can't beat'em! Go Utes!

We're done with the tds...This is the PAC 12...Go Utes!

• Utah > usu > byu Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 8:52 p.m.

This will be a HUGE win, best in years. Top 25 here we come. Blackout is incredible.

Oct. 3, 2013 8:54 p.m.

The jersey is not a horse collar. Bad call there.

Oct. 3, 2013 8:57 p.m.

Speaking of gimmicks, what say ye of that, ute troll?

• Rose Bowl Quest is Still Alive Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 8:59 p.m.

I like what I am seeing. Travis Wilson is a legit top 15 QB in the country. He is going to take us to a new level tonight

Sky is the limit for this offense.

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:03 p.m.

This team can play with anyone in the country. I can't believe how much improved Erickson has made our offense.

The country is going to know the university of Utah utes after tonight!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:14 p.m.

We had a physically punishing drive going before the INT....We're doing everything necessary to mitigate ucla's superior overall talent, in order to keep us competitive w/a legitimate shot to end up victorious today!

My primary complaint is obviously our open-field tackling!

Oct. 3, 2013 9:15 p.m.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:21 p.m.

Cougsndawgs,

I thought byu took pride in their defense...just saying.

Oct. 3, 2013 9:26 p.m.

Cougsndawgs, I've actually been fairly impressed with Utah's defense so far. That first drive, they stopped a 3rd and goal from the 1. That usually results in a stop, UCLA gambled and got the TD. The defense is looking as active as in the BYU game so far, but UCLA's offense is obviously a lot better than BYU's. One more drive by Utah in this half, but it should be a great game going into the second half!

Oct. 3, 2013 9:30 p.m.

Ekute, they do...what's your point? BYU held Utah well below their avg yardage and points. BYU played great defense against Utah and gained better than respectable yardage. Again, your point?

Oct. 3, 2013 9:36 p.m.

Utah's ball first. Keep moving that ball, play field position and score when you get the chances. Keep it rolling, Utes!

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:37 p.m.

@Cougsanddawgs
    "Neither one of these teams is going to beat anyone with defense."

Sufficiently containing BYUs rushing attack pretty much was the reason Utah beat BYU.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:41 p.m.

Score is actually 21-17, Utes losing as expected at the half.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:42 p.m.

"Typical PAC 12 game...defense is optional. Neither one of these teams is going to beat anyone with defense. Offenses look awesome though."

Yet, through 6 total games to date for byu against The PAC-12, they're 2-4, beating only 2 teams ending the year at the bottom of the standings....You clearly don't have a leg in it.

BTW, you disappeared following the game on 09/21....What happened to you?

Oct. 3, 2013 9:43 p.m.

This is a brutal stretch for Utah, that's all I'm saying...you can't give up 21 points and 240 yards of offense in a half and be competitive in a big league. That goes for both Utah and UCLA. I also want to go on record as having said that I'm not a typical BYU fan, I actually root for the utes, but guys the defense has to get better, numbers don't lie. I also told my BYU friends that Utah would be in this game and it would be close all night. Utah has always played well against the bruins. Last yr only lost by a TD AT UCLA. Hopefully the utes can figure out their defense in the 2nd half...you can't have single matchups on the outside with Walker or Rowe trying to make an unassisted tackle on a 260 LB TE, or a quick, juking back.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:49 p.m.

"Neither one of these teams is going to beat anyone with defense"

My point is that we already did.

Oct. 3, 2013 9:49 p.m.

Atl134
    I was actually referring to PAC12 play. We all know BYUs offense is pathetic so making that analysis takes us nowhere.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:50 p.m.

UCLA is playing conservatively, and saving their secret plays for later. Good they're giving some hope, but there will be no change.

UCLA 48
    Utah 30

So let it be written.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:52 p.m.

Cougsndawgs,

USU also sports an outstanding defense...Again, we already did.

Oct. 3, 2013 9:52 p.m.

AZUTE,
    What did my comment have to do with BYU? As a ute fan are u ok with a defense that gives up 271 yards and 21 points in a half. That's not going to win many games for the utes, that's all I'm saying. I think u would agree with me here, right?

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:54 p.m.

AZUTE1

"Yet, through 6 total games to date for BYU against The PAC-12,..."

Seriously, in the middle of the most important PAC 12 game of the season for the Utes, your only concern is BYU's record versus the PAC in the last 6 games?

Can U say, "BYU obsessed"?

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 9:57 p.m.

AZUTE1,

"BTW, you disappeared following the game on 09/21....What happened to you?"

Great question, although some of them did come out of hiding after the MTSU game, to resume their jealous bashing of the Utes. It will be interesting to see what happens after tomorrow night's game. lol.

Oct. 3, 2013 10:04 p.m.

Those two INTs were crazy/lucky plays for UCLA. It's looking like this game is theirs to lose. I hope either I'm wrong or that they (UCLA) do lose it. Let's go UTES!!

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 10:13 p.m.

Utah staying in the game because of the refs.....UCLA vs weather...utah.....and refs!

Oct. 3, 2013 10:13 p.m.

Ekute:
    Read above, my comment is about PAC 12 play. Second, I'm very touched that you and AZUTE are worried about my where-abouts. I wasn't commenting a lot before the Utah game, and I've made comments afterward, just not as much as usual. I haven't seen AZUTE on as much either, or Nav vet. Life gets busy sometimes, but again, thanks for your concern. Again, I cheer for Utah when they aren't playing BYU or USU guys. The points I'm making might be critical of Utah, but I make critical comments about BYUs offense all the time...truth hurts sometimes. BYUs offense is ridiculous, but Utah's defense needs to improve also...now back to the game...Utah needs to STOP turning the ball over. They were lucky Hundley went out, but now they've thrown another pick.

Oct. 3, 2013 10:19 p.m.

Correction: those THREE (3) INTs were crazy/lucky plays for UCLA. The third especially. Ball was still in Wilson's hand when Jack got a hand on it. Another missed call.

Oct. 3, 2013 10:22 p.m.

Down un...err "Old ball coach" (I saw through your name change attempt), all the refs' decisions have gone to the Bruins so far. Nice try, though, on both accounts.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 10:27 p.m.

Lovin it. Go Bruins

Oct. 3, 2013 10:30 p.m.

Defenses playing much better in the 2nd half. Utah just flipped the field, offense needs to take advantage.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 10:30 p.m.

StGtoSLC

It takes a lot of luck to beat the Utes.

Oct. 3, 2013 10:35 p.m.

I need to stop commenting. 4 tipped Utah passes; 4 INTs off of them. Just a crazy game. C'mon Utes...

Oct. 3, 2013 10:39 p.m.

Defenses looking like exact opposites of first half. Nice job cowboying up ute defense.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Oct. 3, 2013 10:40 p.m.

How can a 6'7" qb get his passes tipped so much? I pulling for the Utes, but it's not looking good. As a Cougar fan I would much rather lose to a 6-6 or 7-5 Ute team than a 4-8 Utes team. Come on Utes, make Chris B. prediction come true!

Oct. 3, 2013 10:42 p.m.

Btw AZUTE,
    Look to the last part of my name. I have a team in the NC hunt...I think that would count as "a leg in it". Course my dawgs need to improve defensively too...they've relied entirely on offense to this point.

Oct. 3, 2013 10:45 p.m.

Wow!! Ute defense bringing it! Woohoo!!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 10:45 p.m.

Utes get lucky on a pick six.

Oct. 3, 2013 10:46 p.m.

Utah defense shows up for the first time in the season. Let's go, Utes!!

Oct. 3, 2013 10:49 p.m.

SGSLC:
    No more comments! Be quiet! Lol jk :)

Oct. 3, 2013 10:50 p.m.

Lamestar, no lucky is getting four interceptions off of four tipped passes. That was great pressure and a great defensive play.

Oct. 3, 2013 10:53 p.m.

Utah sending a message tonight: winning in SLC is not going to be easy for anyone!

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Oct. 3, 2013 10:57 p.m.

It's going to take more from the defense that one interception.

Oct. 3, 2013 11:00 p.m.

Cougsndawgs, glad to talk to a Cougs fan that isn't a complete homer/Ute troll/Ute hater.

Good stop there, score the TD and take control of this one. What a great game so far!

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:13 p.m.

Turn out the lights, the party's over....

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:13 p.m.

Prepare to storm the field!

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:13 p.m.

UCLA gets another lucky interception.

Oct. 3, 2013 11:14 p.m.

5 TOs...where was Wilson going on that? Or was it just overthrown that much? Defense needs to come up big again.

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:14 p.m.

Crow, meet byu fans.

Ute 4 life!

Oct. 3, 2013 11:15 p.m.

Ugh. That was just a bad pass and read by either Travis or the receiver. Need to come up with a big stop here and then a big drive to have a chance in this one, now.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:16 p.m.

Good effort by the defense is going to be wasted by Wilson's 5 picks.

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:16 p.m.

bwaaahaha

Utes falling apart under the pressure of playing a Top 25 team.

Game over. Utes eliminated from the PAC South race.

• Trouble Vancouver, WA
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:16 p.m.

Oh, I love my PAC 12 membership!

Oct. 3, 2013 11:17 p.m.

Well that did it. Hundley up the middle...

Utah was the better team tonight IMO. 5 TOs the difference. Frustrating.

• 79Ute Orange County, CA
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:17 p.m.

Could have, should have won both the OSU and UCLA games. Close losses are still big L's.

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:20 p.m.

Where's Hundley?
    End zone.....again

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:22 p.m.

And that's the ball game folks. Stanford next Saturday in SLC then 4 of the last 6 on the road. Tough to find 3 wins in that schedule. Good luck Utah, I really want you to make it to a bowl. Honestly, I do! Chris B. I do like how positive you are, but you drink the red kool-ade to much. I don't know what alternative dimension they were going to finish 8-4 this year.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:23 p.m.

@ Josh Barber

BYU didn't matter when you were excited about taking UCLA to the woodshed. Now it's back to the broken record of winning the last 4 against BYU.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:24 p.m.

Doink... what a lucky break after 5 turnovers.

And a successful onsides kick.

A very entertaining game.

Oct. 3, 2013 11:28 p.m.

I may have spoke too soon...Utah ball. It's in your hands Utes, let's go now!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:29 p.m.

Go UTES!

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:35 p.m.

Do you believe in miracles?

What inside kick!

Oct. 3, 2013 11:38 p.m.

Great game Utes. I still think Utah was the better team, and sent a message about how good they are, and their place in the PAC12. This is a good ute football team guys, nothing to be ashamed of.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:38 p.m.

UCLA drives the final nail in the coffin with another "lucky" interception.

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:39 p.m.

Comeback falls short. Never say die attitude of the Utes was nice to see. Go bowling Utes.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:39 p.m.

Considering all the turnovers by Utah it is amazing the score was so close. Great game, too bad the Utes lost!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:42 p.m.

6 interceptions and only 7 points difference in the score. Not what anyone expected.

Utesies go home shaking their heads.

Did the weather have anything to do with it?

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:42 p.m.

All I'm writing down tonight is 6 interceptions... oh for 2 pac-12 again... Interception U is now pleasantly settled on the hill... 27-24... Well, congrats on calling your score... But you were 10 points too wrong on UCLA side.... Now stay off our cougar boards chrissy! It is old, tired and needs to move on!

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:43 p.m.

I told you two weeks ago from here on out the PAC refs would not be your friends. Welcome to PAC football, ladies.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:44 p.m.

And there goes ChrisB's rose bowl asperations. Thus starts utah's eight game losing streak.

Go Devils

• canadiancougar624 Provo, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:45 p.m.

Chris B:

You might want to get your crystal ball man! I marked it down and you were wrong! Looks like UCLA will be winning the Pac-12 South!

True, Classy Utah fans:
    Good hard fought game by Utah. Made some great plays to really keep them in it! I hate to make it sound like I'm making excuses but if it's not raining I think Wilson doesn't throw 6 picks and changes the game around. Especially with 17 points scored off of turnovers on UCLA's part. Good luck to Utah next week against Stanford this could be a huge momentum swing for their season and put them back in a great position to move in incase UCLA starts to lose momentum.

• Chase Saint George, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:46 p.m.

I'm quite pleased Utah lost.

You can only put up with so much of Utah fans going on and on about the quality of their losses and how they are better than their record shows. BYU thinks they have a championship team every year. Utah thinks they are better than their record every year. Are they the best in the state? Yes - barely.

I'm tickled Travis Wilson threw 5 picks. That should quite Utah fans down a bit.

On the other hand . . . I would like to congratulate Utah for having HEART. BYU does NOT have HEART. I don't care for Kyle W. the slightest. Big mouth. Arrogant. But he gets his guys up for big games. They have heart. They play hard. They take risks. They execute. They are creative. They keep you guessing.

So, congrats Utah, for having HEART.

Oct. 3, 2013 11:46 p.m.

Classy move by UCLA player to slide and go down instead of trying to pick six it. Mora classy talking about how good Utah is and giving them a lot of credit...they deserve credit. Great game...bring on the Cardinal!

• Cute Ute Houston, TX
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:46 p.m.

I was counting on Chris B's prediction for a Ute win. Now I'm sad.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:47 p.m.

i feel real bad for chrissy. i know how bad he loves his bcs membership.

the trotting utes lost to a crappy team tonight that spent most of the night racking up penalties. wilson throws a record 6 interceptions. neither team had any defense. good job boys. you'll get another chance against the trojans next week.

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:47 p.m.

Win-Win

My little sister was right; the winner of this game will win the PAC South - UCLA.

Our friends down south were also right; the Utes will be fighting the Buffs for the PAC basement.

Go Utes!

• Don't Feed the Trolls Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:48 p.m.

Chris B

Utah 27
    UCLA 24

Mark it Down(Dont say I got lucky)

-------

I used to root for the Utes except when they played BYU, but your disease is infecting me. LOL!

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:49 p.m.

Great effort by the Utes. One thing was clear. Utah out-coached UCLA on both sides of the ball. Great game plan and play calling by Sitaki on the defensive side, kept UCLA off balance the whole game.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:52 p.m.

Can't wait to see all of the whiny excuses about how their Heisman trophy candidate QB coughed up 6 picks.

Oct. 3, 2013 11:53 p.m.

Dang. Good game. Good luck this year, Bruins. Not quite the 45-17 game predicted was it "Bruins fans?" All credit to UCLA. Their defense was on the right side of some wild plays, it seemed as if the football gods were with them all night. Good luck this season, Bruins, you should represent the PAC-12 South well in the conference championship game, assuming you beat ASU.

Utes defense looked much better tonight. A lot to build off of, rally the troops and prepare for a big game next weekend!

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:59 p.m.

StGtoSLC

Why the excuses?

2) The interception UCLA threw was due to pressure and a great defensive play, but the Utah INT's were luck.
    3) All the refs decisions have gone the Bruins way. The refs are terrible yes, but both schools have received their fair share of calls.

Utah played solid defense, better than I thought they would. Sitake had a great game plan. The Utes shut down a good UCLA offense. Why take it away from your team. They played solid all night.

To all the Ute fans, your team played very well tonight. You have my respect, especially that defense. Glad the Bruins hung on to win it.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:59 p.m.

I used to root for the Utes until Chris B. Now I love seeing utes choke.

• JDS1 St George, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:05 a.m.

There is a likely scenario brewing, where the Utes don't win the required 6 games to go bowling (again). If that happens, Kyle will be on his way out. Maybe the Mtn West will take him back, because he he's not cutting it in the Pac 12.

• Bartholemew T. Benedict the III Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:08 a.m.

The refs made some very bad calls, mostly against Utah. It would have been nice to see it called the same for both sides.

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:09 a.m.

Big sky is calling utes

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:09 a.m.

I feel bad for the Ute defense. They played their guts out, but just like BYU's offense made one too many mistakes in the Utah and Virginia games, Utah's offense tonight falls flat.

I will say, after listening to the game tonight, I believe Utah can beat USC and at the very least finish 7-5 for the year.

I am a Cougar fan, but I say, GO UTES!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:09 a.m.

34-27?

It wasn't even that close.

Except for one or maybe two years.

The utes haven't been competitive in any conference in the passed fifty years.

Oct. 4, 2013 3:35 a.m.

UtahBruin, I gave the Bruins the credit. What more do you want? Yes, the first four interceptions were all crazy plays (that the defense still made, so no real discredit to them, but weird plays nonetheless), the last two just bad throws/reads by Utah and clutch plays by the young Bruins defense. It was a really exciting game, which was all I really hoped for. I loved the class shown by Mora and Hundley in their post-game interviews, indicative of a team that recognizes great competition and appreciates good wins on the road.

Cougsndawgs, I appreciate the kind words, but no, the better team is the one that doesn't throw six picks (however strange four of them were). Bruins are a top ten team, but Utah proved to be a team that can compete with anyone, especially at home. I'm glad all the former Cougar fans/current Bruins fans/future Stanford fans have something to cheer for; I can't imagine how devoid of meaning their life would be otherwise.

• Top5Alive salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 5:23 a.m.

3-2 fellow ute fans!!! we are alright, chill, got standford to prove on the feild, and finally a 4pm game.

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:21 a.m.

We proved tonight we're here and here to stay. And that we'll be a force in the Pac 12 south most every year. It's taken a few years to improve our recruiting, and with better recruiting every year the last 4 years there are good things in store for this great program. There will be a lot of battles with UCLA, USC, and the others in the years to come for the Pac 12 south crown. We can play with anyone in the country, and I think we proved that tonight. If we don't throw 6 picks we win that game by 20.

Crazy to think we're just 2 plays away from being ranked in the top 10 likely and undefeated.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:39 a.m.

@Where is Hadley?:

The utes proved nothing.

Two weeks to prepare, and home field advantage. Still loss.

UCLA had their turn overs, and gift wrapped a pick-6.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:52 a.m.

@worf

I am a die hard UCLA fan. And the Utes did prove something. There defense was solid. For the most part, they stopped a high impact offense, they shut down a UCLA run game. I know we got 180+ rushing, but on 53 attemtps you better. T he gift wrapped pick 6 by Utah, I agree it was gift wrapped, but we wrapped it like that because of Utahs relentless pressure. As Utah had two weeks to prepare, so did UCLA. And my hat is off to Sitake for his defensive game plan.

I am so glad my Bruins won. But Utah is for real and I have to give them my respect. With the games they have left

Stanford at home, just maybe. But I still take Stanford
    Arizona - Utah wins
    USC - I pick Utah, it is on the road though
    ASU - This will be a great game, I take ASU
    Oregon - Nobody is beating Oregon
    WAZZU - I take Utah
    Colorado - I take Utah

That's 7-5 for the Utes, and Seond or third in the PAC South.

Hats off Utes!

GO BRUINS!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:14 a.m.

@azute1

"Regardless of whichever final outcome emerges, holding BH and Co. in check for virtually the entire 2nd half, excepting his TD run, and witnessing our D grow-up before our eyes is greatly encouraging, going forward!"

Still celebrating moral victories I see. I guess if it is all you've got.....

Oct. 4, 2013 9:16 a.m.

UtahBruin: "1)The tipped pass out of Wilson's hand is a bad call? Check the rule book, it was the correct call"

I disagree on that point. When the ball is still in his hand when a defender gets a hand on it, that is not the same as deflecting a pass that has already been thrown.

Regardless, not making excuses. Your Bruins played a great game, and I like the direction they're headed this season. I was skeptical about Mora coming in last year and how serious he would be about changing the culture at UCLA. Last night proved a lot to me about him. I'm still a little skeptical as to how permanent of a fixture he'll be in Westwood, but the Bruins look like they've done a complete 180 from the previous coaching staff. He's recruited MUCH better than I expected him to, his players look poised in tough environments, and he and his players all look very classy. I wish nothing but the best for them the rest of this season. Until next time, partner!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:48 a.m.

LOTS of excuses coming from Ute fans right now ahhahaa

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:02 a.m.

Great game last night. UCLA was the better team and showed respect by not running that last pick back for the score. I wish more teams showed respect to the losing team like UCLA did. It was a breath of fresh air.

Utah's O-Line had problems. Wilson started out strong and finished very poorly. His passing in the second half was telegraphed allowing for all those tipped interceptions. I absolutely loved the end of the game there. Truly thought the game was heading to OT when the Utes got the On-side kick.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:26 a.m.

IF the UCLA player could "catch" the ball on the onside kick the game was over. I can play that game too.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:46 a.m.

Tough loss for the Utes but you played thru the mistakes and hung on until the end!!! You still have a chance at a decent bowl game and lots to play for!!! Good luck the rest of the way!!!

Go BYU beat the Aggies!!!

• pac12ute4life Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:13 p.m.

Utes still going to the Rose Bowl. This was a fluke loss.

• pac12ute4life Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:17 p.m.

"The country is going to know the university of Utah utes after tonight!"

Huh? Utah is already a national brand and a top 5 school west of the Mississippi. We outgrew the mountain region years ago!

Onward and Upward, to the Rose Bowl!!!!!

• Mr. Plate Lindon, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:54 p.m.

What a bunch of fantasy comments here. UCLA a top-10 team? Utah 2 plays away from undefeated and top-10? Both teams are "for real?" Great defense all night long from Utah? Utes proved they can play with anyone in the nation? Six interceptions but Wilson's one of the best quarterbacks in the nation?

Make me laugh.

Either team would get demolished by the top 10 teams in the country. Most interceptions last night were not freakish plays. Some were tipped - BY THE BRUINS - because of awful throws. Utes' defense, while admittedly pretty good in the second half, hardly showed up for the first half of the game (and gave up what - 52 points to OREGON STATE?).

Come on people, these were both second tier teams - good but not great, and last night's game was not a battle of titans by any stretch of the imagination.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 4, 2013 4:02 p.m.

@UtahBruin--with the game on the line in the final moments, Utah wasn't strong enough to stop the Bruins. 34 points?-- Yep! Good defense.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:08 p.m.

Wow, Duckhunter is back from the fetal position also known as Tulsa. Glad to see you back Duck, I was worried about you as you had been really quiet after BYU's fourth loss in a row to Utah. Guess you couldn't resist the chance to bandwagon after you saw Utah lose a close game. Pretend Utah Alumni is the funniest of the bunch as it his/her team that is going to get a Big Sky invite as they realize no other conference wants them. Don't make is so easy for me. I do owe an apology to Utah Bruin, I wrongly accused him of being a Y fan; sorry I didn't mean to insult you like that. Wilson had a very off game, but as per Coach Witt he had been sick the prior two days; he didn't look himself so I would recommend Ute nation cut him some slack for this game. The Utah D is getting back to its effective ways, which is good to see (except the secondary needs wrap up and tackle better).

• Duckhunter Highland, UT