Faith

Pope Francis criticizes church emphasis on abortion, gays

Comments

• Ophelia Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 10:20 p.m.

I love this Pope! Truly a disciple of Christ.

• Daniel Leifker San Francisco, CA
    Sept. 19, 2013 10:43 p.m.

I think Francis should be canonized right now, even while he's still alive. I read his recent interview with that Italian newspaper and was stunned by the elegant simplicity of his words.

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    Sept. 19, 2013 11:11 p.m.

While I recognize some of my fellow Latter Day Saints might take issue with this suggestion - This guy is a seriously good example on the way we should approach many things. His King Benjamin approach is a fine example to us all.

He chooses to focus on compassion and mercy as opposed to criticism and judgement. He has not advocated improper actions but rather reminded us all that understanding and acceptance are one of the hallmarks of a true Christian.

While I accept that the whole truth is found within our doctrines it does not mean that we cannot be reminded of better ways to act upon those beliefs - even from a Pope.

Love thy neighbor - what a great idea. Do not be Judgmental - how unique. Stop dwelling on the hot topics of the day and focus on compassion - perfect.

I'm not suggesting we all run off to become Catholics - but I am suggesting that not since Mother Teresa has such a fine example of humanity been found in the Catholic Church - I for one hope to learn more from his wise counsel and add it to my understanding of the Kingdom of God.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Sept. 19, 2013 11:13 p.m.

Pope Francis:

""We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible," he said. "The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time."

" when God looks at a gay person, does he endorse the existence of this person with love, or reject and condemn this person?'

What a breath of fresh air this humble leader is!

I can't help but feel sadness that "my" church--the LDS church--as of late, is beating the drums in the bogus political war against religion conjured up by other groups.

• Wilf 55 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 11:15 p.m.

What he basically says is that nothing will change and that Catholics should stop talking about LGBT rights or abortion for raped girls whose live is in danger. This Pope is a master in PR.

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Sept. 20, 2013 6:14 a.m.

"small-minded rules" aborted babies may feel differently. not many leaders of faiths willing to stand firm. sorry to have lost our catholic frien.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 20, 2013 6:36 a.m.

The LDS church once again leads the way. They are reaching out to gays. As for birth control, that has ceased to be an issue 30 years ago.
    I suppose it is another case of practice without doctrinal basis, the current claim regarding blacks and the priesthood pre-1978.
    Looking for scriptures that specifically proscribe women holding the priesthood might be the next big thing.
    As for abortion, I think we are still safe on that one.
    Stay tuned as we navigate the tolerance trap.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Sept. 20, 2013 6:42 a.m.

""The church sometimes has locked itself up in small things, in small-minded rules,"

Certain local leaders could take a lesson.

• peter Alpine, UT
    Sept. 20, 2013 7:03 a.m.

Christ's mercy is based on repentence through his atonement, not condoning the sinful act simply by not expecting change of one's behavior. The Savior told the woman taken in adultery to "go and sin no more."

• Albert Maslar CPA (Retired) Absecon, NJ
    Sept. 20, 2013 7:15 a.m.

Pope Francis commented that we must not dwell on the issues of abortion, homosexuality, and contraceptives 'All the time." These are the evils of our age and it is duty for church to address these issues, 'All the time.' 55 Million abortions in the US alone since Roe v. Wade in 1973. Francis also said if change is not made, the church can fall like a house of cards. Strange, because Jesus said to Peter, "Thou art Peter, the rock, and upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." As far as abortion is concerned, Genesis 38:1-10 narrates how God took the life of the brother who 'merely' wasted his seed on the ground, so how much more valuable is the fertilized egg in the womb? As far as homosexuality, refer to the destroyed cities of Sodom and Gomorrah for their blatant homosexuality.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Sept. 20, 2013 7:50 a.m.

I am quite sure that "Abortion, Gay Marriage, and Contraception" regulations are not "small minded rules".

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Sept. 20, 2013 7:55 a.m.

God bless Pope Francis.

Without changing church policy,
    Keeping the "proper" perspective of what matters most is the Christ like thing to do.

The LDS Church suffers from the same blight.

Christ taught Salvation - via, Love, Peace, brotherly kindness, and mercy.

HIS Church should be teaching what HE taught.
    Anything taking away from that is pure distraction and false doctrine.

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Sept. 20, 2013 8:40 a.m.

airnut

small minded rules.......... false doctrines? Abortion, interesting approach, don't think it will do anything to boost membership or activity amongst catholics. why did he leave out divorce. Diet Coke? I don't remember ANY focus on that. appropriate dress does impact the way one acts.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Sept. 20, 2013 9:02 a.m.

Re:AlbertMaslarCPA
    "the destroyed cities of Sodom"

Ezikiel 16:49

"Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy."

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 20, 2013 9:41 a.m.

@airnaut

"Too much worrying about drinking Diet Coke, and how many ear piercings or flip-flops, Prop 8 and Mitt Romney for President."

I have been an LDS member my whole life and have never heard a sermon referencing Diet Coke or flip-flops. Two mentions of ear piercings and never any talk of supporting Mitt Romney for President. In fact the church again supported nuetrality in the 2012 election. My bishop was actually an Obama supporter.

As far as Prop 8 is concerned if you read "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" the LDS church's position on this issue is consistent.

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 20, 2013 9:58 a.m.

"In fact the church again supported nuetrality in the 2012 election."

Nobody believes the claim of "neutrality" when church-owned Deseret News covered/promoted Romney like ants on honey--before, during and long after the election.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Sept. 20, 2013 11:54 a.m.

Re:1978

From Fair:

Spencer W. Kimball made his own and the Church's view of cola drinks clear:
    I never drink any of the cola drinks and my personal hope would be that no one would. However, they are not included in the Word of Wisdom in its technical application. I quote from a letter from the secretary to the First Presidency, 'But the spirit of the Word of Wisdom would be violated by the drinking or eating of anything that contained a habit-forming drug.' With reference to the cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken any attitude on this at but I personally do not put them in the class as with the tea and coffee because the Lord specifically mentioned them [the hot drinks.

The Ensign in Dec 2008:
    ...the Word of Wisdom does not specifically prohibit caffeine. However, I believe that if we follow the spirit of the Word of Wisdom we will be very careful about what we consume, particularly any substance that can have a negative impact on our bodies. This is true regarding any drug, substance, or even food that may be damaging to one's health. This includes caffeine.[4]

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 20, 2013 12:31 p.m.

I thought the church PR department gave the definitive doctrinal statement on cola drinks during the Romney campaign. You could look it up.
    For my money the DIET part is more harmful than the cola part.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Sept. 20, 2013 3:35 p.m.

My sentiment is completely different than many who praise Pope Francis. I think he is trying to be politically correct and popular and I don't like it one bit. He should lead and stand for principle especially for the unborn who are the most helpless. Jesuit's were the leftists who supported the Sandanista Communists in Nicaragua. Consistency in doctrine by John Paul and Benedict is much better, Pope Francis needs to show leadership.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Sept. 20, 2013 3:51 p.m.

@DN: How is this a violation of your rules?

"Sounds like the Pope got smacked down by the Cardinals for his original message, and had to do some quick PR recovery."

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Sept. 20, 2013 6:56 p.m.

@Truthseeker

That scripture does not limit their sins it only points out a few their sins that were being discussed in that chapter.

Nope their sins also included all types of immorality. Their wickedness was full for destruction.

• OnlytheCross Bakersfield, CA
    Sept. 20, 2013 11:46 p.m.

Coffee, tea & cola drinks were "outlawed" my entire 35 years in the LDS Church. No temple rec= No Celestial Kingdom; i.e., Java/Joe/Coffee use kept you outta the highest Kingdom.

Contrast that with the Biblical, historical, literal Word of God. There is nothing you can say that will soeak to the nonsense that food will keep you out of God's Love.

• OnlytheCross Bakersfield, CA
    Sept. 21, 2013 1:43 a.m.

Just checkin' if any Pope ever restricted believers from God's special section of heaven based on what foods they ate or drank. Sounds extra-biblical doesn't it...

Oh, yeah. It is. Along with purgatory, polygamy and polytheism.

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Sept. 21, 2013 12:08 p.m.

I always find it fascinating how these discussions quickly evolve or devolve. The article can be about planting tomatoes and before long, comments are made regarding whether or not Joseph Smith believed in Cantaloupe.

Everything I have seen in this new pope has been largely positive. Do I think he's perfect? No. But I think he's trying to make good strides.

Do I think coke is bad? Yes. But those are my same feelings for eggplant too.

There is much to think about and to be concerned about in these current times. It is impossible to focus on every great or even little issue. We do what we can and perhaps, with simple strides and sincere, Christ-like efforts, some good will be accomplished. We don't have to wait for a pope or a prophet to speak in favor of righteousness (and I didn't say self righteousness) , we can all take that initiative right now.

• Dubai Holladay Dubai, UAE, 00
    Sept. 22, 2013 7:14 a.m.

Finally a true Christian that heads a Church, many, many, more church leaders need to follow the new Popes Lead.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Sept. 22, 2013 10:10 a.m.

Re:NewtoUtah

"Throughout his life, both as an individual and a religious leader, Pope Francis has been noted for his humility, his concern for the poor, and his commitment to dialogue as a way to build bridges between people of all backgrounds, beliefs, and faiths. He is known for having a simpler and less formal approach to the papacy.

As Cardinal, Francis lived in a small apartment, rather than in the elegant bishop's residence in the suburb of Olivos. He took public transportation and cooked his own meals.

Pope Francis urged world leaders to prevent excessive respect for money, which he said had become "worship of the golden calf" (idolatry), and urged world leaders to help poor people more."
    (Wikipedia)

• MediumHarris Provo, UT
    Sept. 24, 2013 4:26 p.m.

I feel the Pope's first interview is misrepresented here. This article makes him sound very wishy-washy. He is still against certain issues, just not for repeating them ad-nauseam at the expense of more important doctrines. Our church would do well to focus more on Christ and less on political issues as well.