Opinion

Letter: No more cursive?

Comments

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    Sept. 15, 2013 4:52 a.m.

First, Finger print scanners will replace the X.
    Second, We will forget how to spell. Or haz that allredi hapened?
    Fourth, we will forget how to do math because calculators will do it.

Google "The meaning of Power" for an Isaac Asimov story on just that.

• redshirt007 tranquility base, 00
    Sept. 15, 2013 6:28 a.m.

If you think it through it's not the first time technology has left a gap between generations. While Morse code is still useful in .000001 percent of odd situations we just don't need the masses to know it anymore. The kids need computer and math skills and there is only so much time in the day for them to learn material. What a shame it would be for them to spend their time on cursive and fall behind in other areas.

My advice is that you be ready to convert your cursive letters to the computer. But not to worry, if you don't someone will still be able to long after we are gone just like there are still people that can use Morse code.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    Sept. 15, 2013 8:04 a.m.

They will also not be able to read any of the founding documents.
    I find it interesting this is being pushed, now.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Sept. 15, 2013 2:52 p.m.

So it's another sinister liberal plot to undermine our Constitution.

Thanks for the warning.

Now back to reality . .

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Sept. 15, 2013 5:36 p.m.

@one old man

The Reality is...

They will not be able to read the founding documents nor the journals and letters of the founders,

nor of other people and other documents in history, including their own family histories and genealogies.

How is that a good thing, unless have an agenda to undermine the constitution and the people knowledge of history?

• Luke Nelson West Valley City, UT
    Sept. 15, 2013 6:56 p.m.

@the truth
    The constitution can be read online and in books in print. You don't need a photocopy of the original documents to read them.

• jmfitamant Canada, 00
    Sept. 16, 2013 7:39 a.m.

These children will never know the emotion that transpires from a handwritten text, friendship expressed with confidence, a first declaration of love expressed eagerly, crazy hope, or rather a mature style .. . The cursive writing reflects the personality of its author, makes it seem like an art form the transience of the moment ... This is all we lose. What a tragedy! What impoverishment of humanity that the loss of writing...

• Eric Samuelsen Provo, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 11:00 a.m.

Oh, please. Cursive is an anachronism. Good riddance.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 12:44 p.m.

@Luke Nelson

We are not talking just about the constitution, but the history behind it, not to mention all history ever written, personal and otherwise, since cursive was used. Not important?

• PH801 Draper, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 12:51 p.m.

I spent countless hours learning cursive in school in the 60s. I hated every minute of it and considered it a waste of time. Today, the only thing I write in cursive is my signature. Everything else I print. Cursive is not required, not even your signature has to be cursive. Some people cling to things of the past like society will shut down if they go away. Like the abacus, it's time to let cursive die.

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 1:23 p.m.

Having learned both manuscript and cursive well, I find that cursive is easier and quicker to use. It's like learning to type on keyboards. The time you use learning it is repaid many times over with the time you save ever after. And as has been mentioned, the less literate you are the less literature you have access too.

An interesting side-note is that cursive predates manuscript.

• Mike W Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 2:01 p.m.

Agree with PH801... it's useless other than your signature. You want to learn it, do it on your own time, but why should elementary students have to waste hours learning something that they're almost certain to never use when they could instead be learning more math, english, geography, history, science, etc.

As for it's history or it's emotion as was mentioned above, there is nothing in cursive writing that cannot be just as emotional or historical in manuscript writing, or text, or email or printed document.

• PH801 Draper, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 2:53 p.m.

@VST

And I can take notes faster by typing them on a keyboard or recording them on my smartphone. Technology has provided a faster way of doing that.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 9:33 p.m.

Well, I taught my youngest son to write in cursive.... Maybe we need to start teaching our kids a few things at home... Now that's a novel idea......

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 12:47 a.m.

Oh brother. I have kids and they can read cursive. The things you people get your panties in a wad about kill me. It must be terribly depressing to be so sure that everything you hear about is an evil plot to do some unspeakable harm.

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 12:10 p.m.

VST you are completely wrong when you say that a keyboard requires only two thumbs. It requires all ten fingers to type properly and I can dash out anywhere between 70-100 words per minute depending on the subject matter, type of project I'm doing, and the amount of original thinking that is required of me to get my point across. I learned cursive in grade school and knew then just as I knew now that typing would be my primary form of written communication. This would have taken me forever to write in cursive. This is simply faster and easier to do.

• PH801 Draper, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:54 p.m.

@VST

I use all ten fingers/thumbs on my keyboard. I'm not sure why you'd be using just your thumbs. Maybe you're purposefully trying to be slow? I can type about 104 words per minute on my laptop keyboard...simply faster than I can write. Argue if you will, but writing is not faster than typing on a keyboard.

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 9:04 p.m.

VST how do you propose to get the time for teaching cursive. Students are learning Algebra, complex sciences, and reading deep literature earlier and earlier by the year it seems. They are gaining a deeper understanding of the world that cursive simply cannot give.

So far as your post is concerned you moved the goal posts on PH801. You exceeded the scope of the discussion not I. Besides note taking in a class setting is still faster on a QWERTY keyboard and can lead to better organization with the automatic Roman numeral, bullet, or other note taking formats Word has. Cursive is archaic and in the modern era worthless let it go.

• redshirt007 tranquility base, 00
    Sept. 17, 2013 11:14 p.m.

It's the hallmark of a conservative to resist change. Sigh, there it is again.

Cursive needs to die. I decided that when I was 8 and now that I see it's death coming, I couldn't be happier for the future generations.

• Don Bixby Centerville, UT
    Sept. 18, 2013 9:09 p.m.

The least important part of this conversation is whether people will have a signature. I learned cursive in school, and my signature has little to do with anything my teachers taught me about how to write in cursive.

As for those who say they use all 10 fingers on the keyboard, I'd challenge that. My guess is most people use 9 fingers when they type.