Faith

You’d rather be dressed in white: A Mormon convert's letter to her daughter about Miley Cyrus

Comments

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 9:52 a.m.

Raise your kids to think for themselves, and let them become the person they are. It may not be who you want, but it probably won't be anything Cyrus, either. Her entire life has been one of public, schlocky exploitation.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 12, 2013 10:32 a.m.

Today's Blog commentary on a Hollywood scandal dujour needs to be timely in order to be meaningful. Today's blog fails this relevancy measure. America's attention span has a half-life of that of a fruit-fly's life. Let's say 12-hours at most. d'affair Miley Cyrus is what two or three weeks old now?

That being said, America now is more concerned over whether POTUS is going to unleash the Dogs of War on Syria. If timelyness is not an issue, then we all should be really worked up over what John Lennon said in the 1960s about the Beatles being more popular than Jesus Christ. Now, I don't recommend having Hannah Montana DVD burning parties like our 60s counterparts burned Beatles records, that would only encourage her to seek more lurid attention seeking behavoirs.

• ? SLC, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 11:36 a.m.

Deseret News may just be getting around to posting this blog article, but it's been floating around social media for a couple of weeks now.

• Paddycakes Prescott, AZ
    Sept. 12, 2013 12:37 p.m.

Certainly this was a rather fuzzy-warm letter to her daughter; however, what I find lacking in churches is the political-correctness and failure to criticize and condemn the blatant debauchery of Miley Cirus. Is it God honoring not to judge under such circumstances? It is better to please God than man, and Christendom should be in unison crying for decency in the media and entertainment industry. It is just such neglect on our part that permits this trash and anti-Christ entertainment. If Christian would do their duty and demand decency and not hesitate to proclaim publicly that this type of alleged entertainment is pure debauchery. What kind of example are se setting for our children if we fail to speak out on behalf of Christ and his directives? Jesus whipped in the temple. We as a nation have failed in our Christian perspective of God's law, and failed Him by failing to do our duty to Him. God is going to get very angry with us, and He is going to bring this nation to it's knees if we do not repent as a nation. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

• alta/snowbird cottonwood heights, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 1:06 p.m.

Entertainment is a business. I do not know what her motivations are behind this performance. She could be thinking that this attention getting will bring her more fans and more money. After all it got the Deseret News to write this article. Shock news translates to free publicity which can be a bonus. She could be saying I am a grown up girl now. She has the right to market herself the way she wants and we have the right to tune her out.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 12, 2013 1:08 p.m.

For those D-News subscriber parents who really want to erase all traces of Miley Cyrus's existence from their kids reality, here is a tecnological solution. I just saw this on Yahoo news:

A new extension for Google’s Chrome browser called No Cyrus will block any mention of “Miley Cyrus, twerking and her other ridiculous words,” the developer claims. The plug-in scans any pages loaded in your browser and censors out the targeted keywords by replacing them with a series of number signs (or hashtags, for the Twitter set).

So the take away of this is: No Cyrus, No temption to sin, ergo No Sin by your Children.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 1:30 p.m.

Miley Cyrus is an example of exploitation and Capitalism.
    Like a hooker, drug dealer, bank robber or any other vice --
    she wouldn't do what she does without the money.

You can have anything in this world - for money.

• BYUCOLORADO Castle Rock, CO
    Sept. 12, 2013 1:54 p.m.

I hate reading commentary like this. When people say "Be Righteous" and then go and put down others (Miley in this instance) for falling short of THEIR perspective of what happiness is or how people should act. I want to take my two daughters and flee from a faith and perspective that encourages people to make these sorts of comments about people.

I need to stop reading articles like this. They just upset me by how much people project their world view onto other people.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 2:27 p.m.

Miley's objective was to stir up attention. And to continue the dialogue is exactly what she wants. Please drop it.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 3:12 p.m.

@LDS Liberal

Its NOT about Capitalism. Liberals, socialist, progressives, the left, are just greedy as anyone, users of people, they are no different.

@Hutterite

It's not about who or what they are, any one can be the lowest common denominator, act on their natural desires and wants and needs. It is about what you can become, rising above the natural self. If you are not taught a higher way of thinking and doing then what good is thinking for yourself? Even animals can think for themselves.

• speed66 Heber City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 4:23 p.m.

Dear Diary...I hope everyone will think I am righteous.

• GK Willington Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 4:47 p.m.

re: MapleDon

Agreed. Ignore her & her ilk and they will go away.

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 4:49 p.m.

re: the truth

Agreed. Its about human nature or nurture. Either way, it has nothing to do w/ political philosophy.

• Zed Orem, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 5:00 p.m.

Good, sensible approach. You can't please everyone though. Interesting that the author is criticized on almost back-to-back responses for being too judgmental (BYUColorado) and not judgmental enough (Paddycakes).

Judging publicly is usually not productive, nor is unfettered tolerance. Tough to find a middle ground on these boards...

• Kimber Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 6:49 p.m.

So true Zed...middle ground is what we need. Miley Cyrus's behavior is probably a result of many things. But we need to remember that not one "group" or behavior is responsible. I know there are many "liberals" and others that would not approve of her behavior in this, because being on the "Left" or "Liberal" doesn't necessarily have anything to do with bad behavior. I lean to the left of the political spectrum, but I would never think this to be okay behavior or would I advise it. However, I also know that many people practicing these types of behaviors are trying to make a statement and I think she's gotten the attention that she was seeking. It would be best to ignore it now.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 13, 2013 1:00 a.m.

We are ALL sinners and beggars before God. None of use, me, you , no one is better than anyone else. We will all answer for our own sins of pride and selfishness. I am not going to exploit Miley Cyrus to make a point to my kids. I will teach them to think for themselves and be concerned about their own behavior, not how much better they are than others.

Pride of self righteousness comes before the fall.

• EternalPerspective Eldersburg, MD
    Sept. 13, 2013 4:16 a.m.

Wow, interesting comments about the author and the article content. The theme of this article is not "look at me, I'm righteous and Miley Cyrus should be condemned".

Rather, as Latter Day Saints and Christians, we strive be an example unto the world of a different standard that strives to become more like our role model, the Savior Jesus Christ. The world and American culture is fast becoming the mark of unbridled hedonism. But, God has clearly stated those who devote themselves to Christ and the building up of God's kingdom on the earth are to be in the world, but not of it.

There is heartfelt concern the author has for the true reflection of Miley Cyrus in the mirror, which is one of insecurity, sadness, anger, and confusion because she abandoned moral associations that were once an influence in her childhood, despite the Hollywood lights from her father's fame and Disney success. It is a maternal plea for Cyrus to take a step back and examine her life before greater consequences occur. It is a loving invitation to see things as they really are and abandon the current course before it becomes too late.

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 13, 2013 6:25 a.m.

Self-righteousness is vanity.

• 3arwax Logan, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 7:48 a.m.

There sure are a lot of self righteous comments condemning people for being self righteous.

But seriously, I think the dialogue is important. I don't believe the author or the comments are saying that Miley is a worthless piece of trash or that she is forever a lost soul but they are saying that her actions have been terrible. Miley even admits her life is a mess. What makes this even more serious is that so many young women have looked to her as an example.

• Blessed to be LDS Alberta, 00
    Sept. 13, 2013 8:06 a.m.

BYUCOLORADO....satan would hate a blog like this also, it is meant to show a young girl how to be virtuous and beautiful all at once. I always thought that playing the devils advocate was a role only for the devil.

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    Sept. 13, 2013 8:38 a.m.

"The theme of this article is not "look at me, I'm righteous and Miley Cyrus should be condemned"."

I disagree. The theme pretty much is "look at me, I'm righteous...". She even included a picture of herself in white!

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 13, 2013 8:53 a.m.

We are all sinners and beggars before god. Pride comes before the fall. Even though I am LDS, I am not better than anyone else.

• Maureen Fepuleai New Zealand, 00
    Sept. 13, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Dear daughter

I have taught you as well as I could as a single mother. You know who you are and you have developed enough confidence and faith in your own abilities to choose for yourself. Some of your choices may or may not have my support or understanding throughout your lifetime, but I will continue to love you with every fibre of my being, regardless of what they may be. Wherever you choose to go in this world, remember that you can always come back home to me when you need to and that Love will answer you every single time.

Love, Mum **HUGS**

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    Sept. 13, 2013 6:02 p.m.

@JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt re "...I am not better than anyone else." Americans especially masquerade attacks on moral rectitude by calling it self-righteousness. There was a time in pre-PC history when it was okay to acknowledge that some people behave better than others; that in fact some people are better human beings than others. I'd bet my last dollar that you are a far, far better person than Stalin was. The refusal to acknowledge crabgrass for what it is is a reason we have so much of it.

If it is not self-evident that Miley's performance was offensive, arguments to prove it cannot be effective.

• Ms.Naz vancouver, canada, 00
    Sept. 14, 2013 12:10 a.m.

While I understand that everyone has a different view on life, I believe that confining your children to one path backfires more often than not. The more guarded children are by their parents, at a certain age they will snap and make decisions purely to go against what has been almost an oppressive law in their home. Also, bare in mind? Miley Cyrus IS someones child and to talk about her in such a manner as a mother is embarrassing. Every family is different and abides by different rules so to use her as a measuring stick as to what you don't want your child to do is pathetic. Lastly, its really irritating that in 2013 a young woman is practically ostracized for expressing herself in a sexual manner... last I checked? Robin Thicke who is 16 years her senior and married hasn't gotten ANY flack for that performance.

...May I also point out that Macklemore makes a speech that night about the equality of human beings and instead of writing her daughter a letter talking about that, she chooses to pick apart some person who shes never even met before. Great example for your kid.

• Bill Fitz LAKE BLUFF, IL
    Sept. 15, 2013 9:14 p.m.

JohnJacob; Here is a different perspective one I learned since becoming a LDS. We are all sons and daughters of our Father in Heaven. Yes even Miley. We are blessed according to our thoughts words and actions now and in eternity. (What a blessing repentance can be because we all need it as you seem to indicate.) There is a scripture which reads in the bible, judge not, and be not judged, as if somehow we wander through life ignoring our surroundings. The correct translation is judge not unrighteously....... I will make a righteous judgment that parading around on a stage like that is inappropriate and unacceptable for my daughter or anyone else's. And it really is that simple. We judge every day and that one is about as easy to label as any in my life.